Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
I like playing Inferno, because I get to throw demons at people until they fall over.

That's literally all you need to know about playing Inferno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

revengeanceful posted:

I'll second this. I basically followed this guide to help me get started and to help build a good Inferno deck with what I could buy after completing the campaign: http://www.gamefaqs.com/iphone/683357-might-and-magic-duel-of-champions/faqs/67075 Since then, I haven't lost in like ten straight games with a slight variation on the deck below. It's focused on doing a lot of damage as quickly as possible, with the spells and fortunes designed to help me finish the game off once my opponent starts to stabilize.

Inferno Deck (59 cards):
1 Garant, Seeker of Discord

4 Maniac
4 Succubus
4 Demented
2 Sea Elf Archer
2 Tormentor
2 Juggernaut
2 Cerberus
2 Pit Fiend
4 Lilim
2 Ravager
1 Hellfire Slave

4 Fire Bolt
1 Fire Trap
1 Dispel Magic
2 Teleport
2 Town Portal
2 Fireball
3 Gold Pile
4 Altar of Destruction
2 Chaos Rift

4 Celebrations
2 Day of Fortune
2 Week of the Weaponsmiths

Pretty good, the only thing that worries me is the Fireballs. They're nice to pull out, but they take 4 magic to use, and that's costly when you only have two spells that use it- a better alternative is the Hellfire Bloater/Fire Bolt combo, which a lot of opponents don't see coming, and only requires 2 magic to pull off. If you really need the cross AoE, tormentors and lacerators can do that. Altar of Destruction's a personal taste thing, I find they clog up your hand until you're ready to use them, but some people like to take as many as they can reasonably carry. I'd also reconsider the sea elf archers, because neutrals as a rule are weak for their cost.

I'd suggest grabbing some herald of the void packs and getting more Hellfire Slaves and especially getting some Ur-Khrag Enforcers. Those are brutal 5 might 5-cost cleave units that are utterly devastating while being considerably more durable than Ravagers. They're "common" rarity, so you'll get them pretty fast. I carry 4 of each! And a couple Reinforcements fortunes are great once you have a good stable of expensive mans to spray out.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
It's a little cheap, but those forced discard fortunes Inferno has are good for making an opponent stop and think. And when they have a time limit, well, it makes them trip up.

I like Swiss tournies.

Re: Inferno decks, the best bang for your buck comes from (in my opinion) Juggernauts and Ur-Khrag Enforcers. The former is a poo poo-ton of damage for low cost, and the latter just dominates boards. Opponents will arrange their critters AWAY from your enforcers and willingly take the 4 damage to their hero rather than risk them getting in a good cleavin'.

Something to note is that while Inferno troops have stupendous offensive capabilities, on the whole their HP can be a little lacking. And their best damage soakers are the Lilims, which are back line troops. You can't stall without a massive investment in magic, so just smash them repeatedly with whatever you have and you'll usually come out the victor.

Mirthless posted:

What's wrong with discard effects? Considering that Inferno's creatures are woefully easy to kill and their removal effects are all terrible, I'd think taking and maintaining card advantage would be really important to being able to beat an opponent. Seriously, if I have room to drop a bunch of extra creatures I feel like I'm already losing, but making my opponent discard a removal card or half his hand with a couple of fortunes when I'm just shy of having board control has won me a few games I should have lost.

Honestly I get the feeling that I don't understand Inferno. Can someone look at my deck and tell me what I'm doing wrong here? I win a decent amount of games but when I do lose I get steamrolled completely. I mostly don't understand what the strategy for the faction is supposed to be. It seems to be board control, but with how low the health of everything is I find that once I lose it it's very hard to get it back.

For Xorm, more dudes, less spells. I wouldn't take anything besides Fire Bolt to pop Bloaters for when you get them. You need to be phasing out neutral troops because they (mostly) suck. Twist of Fate, Gold Pile, Chamber of Dementia and Bonfire are all your best friends, and once you've gotten a decent stable of 4+ demons, Reinforcements (and Gate if you can get it, but that's a hard one to get hold of.)

Just keep adding powerful demons to your deck and for god's sake man Xorm doesn't need any pansy rear end spells.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Magic Lamp posted:

In game as dinolamp

I'm at around 180 ELO now, using a Necro deck. Earlier I played a match in which the other guy played some kind of egyptian deck, and he kept yelling "Helloooooo, ITS YOUR TURN HELLLOOOOO". As if I couldn't notice it's now my turn, what an rear end in a top hat.

That's when you use 1:59 for each and every turn just to piss him off.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Why are half my opponents quitting out before the match starts?

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

I also like Silent Death because it makes people go crazy and kill their own creatures to play around it.

Prime magic is the best for poo poo like this, any hero with access to Prime that doesn't carry 4 Dispel Magic is literally a war criminal.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Ineffable posted:

Started playing this on a whim - it's pretty fun, but I've never really played any deck-building games before, and I have no idea what I'm doing. I picked the inferno deck to start - what kind of cards should I be looking out for? Are there any which look much better than they are in practice?

In game name is ineffable_logic.

Breeders and their mama are irredeemably terrible for a non-caster deck. Cerberus and Hellhound are kinda crummy, as are most neutral cards in the base deck that aren't the Dark Assassin or Pao Deathseeker. Also, you end up learning from fights pretty fast- which cards were of no use to you that fight? Which overstayed their welcome in your hand, what creatures seemed underwhelming, was there anything specific you lacked? Were you overwhelmed by a brute force rush or by attrition? If you could pick any card you've seen so far to turn a fight, what would it be?

Then come back to us and we'll help you plug the gaps! It's hard to say which cards are necessary, because a lot of them are pretty good.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Tae posted:

The problem is that Atrophos already does that and does it very well, and he's searchable by the Bard. Combined with Adar Malik's effect, you can essentially have unlimited creatures.

Void Judgment

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
I'm getting really sick of Dark Magic instakill cards.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
There's a thread on the Steam forums where a Necro/Ariana user is complaining about Shi-No-Shi being overpowered.

I found that funny.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Tae posted:

Ariana is a really cheap Necro hero to make, if you do already have her.

Here's a low-cost list that's pretty effective to shoot for:

Hero: Ariana

Events:
Week of Taxes x4 (Uncommon)
Hailstorm x4

Creatures:
Wretched Ghoul x4
Neophyte Lich x4
Vampire Knight x4 (Uncommon)
Archlich x4 (Uncommon)
Atrophos (cheap Epic)
Banshee x4 (cheap Epic)
Moonsilk Skeleton x4
Decay Splitter x4 (Uncommon)
Pao Deathseeker x2 (cheap Rare)
Untamed Wraith x4

Spells:
Insect Swarm x4 (Uncommon)
Soul Reaver x4 (Uncommon)
Slow x4
Mass Dispel x2 (Uncommon)
Earthquake x3 (Uncommon)

This is a really good deck, but Stone Shield is almost mandatory for annoying Inferno/Stronghold rush players, and there's an ongoing Earth spell that nullifies Quick Attack- so you can shut down Pao Deathseekers whenever you feel like it. Take those, definitely!

Also got around to spamming goon invites, my UPlay name is Cryohazard0.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Mr.48 posted:

Ah, I must have been thinking of banishing, thats a permanent removal from play right?

Deck -> Hand -> Board -> Graveyard -> Banished

There are cards that skip some of the steps, but that's the gist of it.

Also- a players' market where you could trade cards for wildcards and vice versa would be nice, instead of the static prices at the Altar of Wishes.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Still not liking Necropolis, but it's nice to get good matches like that. Can't wait to finish it, move on to Sanctuary before I can finally go back to my Stronghold deck.

Void Rising boosters will give you lots and lots of Sanctuary creatures, do those for a while and you'll get tons.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
I have 57 wildcards and am paralyzed by choice. :(

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
I think I'm going to just start over. I tried to make a passable Dhamiria deck, but so much of the stuff you need is stupidly expensive. Besides, there's no other way I'm gonna get the 10 in a row achievement.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

I've found Dhamiria pretty cheap to build, actually. Can you post your deck and what you're having trouble getting?

I have no Earthquakes, for one thing. The only spells I have with her are Stone Shield, Insect Swarm and Fire Bolt, so my board clear potential is kinda crap while still requiring 4 magic. Fortunes are a little better, and I have tons of Inferno critters including the 4 deathseekers. It's just not working, and I'd like to try another faction without having to worry about the 80 odd wildcards I've sunk into Inferno stuff. I reckon I'll go Haven this time!

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

I mean, start over if you want, but earthquakes are uncommon, as are fireballs.

I don't have it in front of me but I am fairly certain the only things above uncommon in my Dhamiria deck are Doombringer, Forbidden Flame, Might of Nature, two Earths Grasp and 3 Void Arbiters, and only the singleton epics are really necessary.

I have none of the things you just listed! That's why I'm abandoning it.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

So It Goes posted:

Attack buff cards are so good. I've started using an extremely, extremely limited Ishuma deck as I have cards available although I was lucky enough to get Ishuma out of the 4 hereos total I have unlocked. One game I had the opponent to 8 health and was going to lose next turn. Conveniently I had a pao deathseeker, bless, and icy weapon, and a lane open. Another game was a rush down match, opponent got me to one health and I'm sure he felt safe at his 6 health and with my one 2 attack creature left unopposed. Of course I was sitting on 2 bless...

BTW I started trying to use Ishuma cause I saw someone here post that the deck had lots of cheap and easy to get cards. I don't know what variant that is, the one I found online (http://www.mmdoc.net/show_deck/16921/) is absolutely not something that can cheaply be made. I have like 25% of those cards and with 14 green rarity and 2 unique creatures, I don't know if I would call that easily made. Certaintly no more than any other deck. This variant was no better (http://www.mmdoc.net/show_deck/12441/) so I don't know what the one guy was actually running or if cheap is a relative term than involves spending $50 and playing for a month.

Sanctuary cards are easier to buy, because most of them are in the Void Rising set- 40-50% of the cards per pack are for Sanctuary only, it seems.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Dahbadu posted:

One of my issues with CCGs is that I'm a "deck switcher." I've had moderate success with my Academy deck, but I wanted to switch things up.

So I tried building several decks yesterday and testing them, tanking my ELO. It went all the way back down to 1001. At the end of the night I was able to bring it up to 1150 with a Dhamiria deck, which I'm actually having fun with.

I bought the FW x2 box deal yesterday in hopes of getting some Gate to Sheoghs. No luck. Looks like I'll have to hold off until the expansion to make my dream deck, when Gate to Sheoghs are cheaper.

Here's the card that I'm interested in building my next deck around:

Abyssal Worm. You know what you must do.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Ineffable posted:

Okay, so far I've been using the inferno starter deck with a few additions from boosters, but now I'm almost (but not quite) at 1000 ELO and I'm floundering. I figure I'll buy the forgotten wars double box and use the wildcards to build up my deck to a decent standard. Anyway, here's my current deck with a few extras as a sort-of beginner Inferno rush (cards I'm going to need to buy are in bold, so please tell me if any of them are terrible...)

1 Garant, Seeker of Discord

2 Week of the Mercenaries
2 Day of Fortune
1 Month of the Dancing Flames
3 Week of the Weaponsmiths

4 Maniac
4 Demented
4 Succubus
3 Hellfire Bloater
2 Pao Deathseeker
4 Juggernaut
1 Cerberus
4 Lilim
1 Pit fiend
4 Ravager
1 Hellfire Slave
2 Ur-Khrag enforcer

4 Fire Bolt
2 Fireball
2 Dispel Magic
2 Teleport
2 Town Portal

4 Altar of Destruction

Any advice on how to improve it further? Right now I've only got the basic set unlocked (forgotten gods will also be unlocked once I've bought the double box, of course).

Spell-wise, that's a good setup. Town Portal is essential for anti-puppetmaster shenanigans, if you have to cut a spell, cut Teleport.

You are rather heavy on the 4-cost- typically, brute force decks ride on their 2s and 3s and try to smash out a fast victory, I'd say cut a couple Ravagers from your shopping list. Hellfire Slave is one of those creatures that looks pretty good on paper but is too vulnerable in-game for a 4-cost, so I wouldn't keep it just because you dropped one. Finally, try and snag a Hellfire Maniac or two as a row-cleaner.

It also occurs to me that since you're running a near no-fortune build, why are you using Garant? I'd also invest in some Week of Taxes to annoy fortune-heavy decks.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Ineffable posted:

Okay, so what if I cut two of the ravagers and the hellfire slave for another 3 cerberus? Other than that, I'd like to run dark assassins, but they feel a little too expensive for me to commit to right now. I'd like to get some lurkers in the dark and some hellfire maniacs, as well, but unfortunately I don't have HotV unlocked yet.

Honestly, I want to run Garant because at the moment I've been using Xorm, and I want to try out primal magic. If I could find the space, I'd put in a campfire or two (or four). I suppose my other option is to stick with Xorm and buy a few copies of inner fire.

I don't like cerberus because they're too fragile, but if you do pick up some Inner Fires go ahead- those turn them into monsters.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

jetz0r posted:

It's rare to see ones that look like legit good decks instead of gimmicks or low percent combos.

Conversely, don't you love seeing a gimmick you briefly considered but dismissed as useless wipe the floor with you? That feeling of WHAT THE CHRIST JUST HAPPENED is magical.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Inferno is very much the Max Powers way of doing things, which makes it a much faster turnover than Haven or Necropolis- the former is slow until you get your deck built right, and the latter is slow until you switch to a different faction.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Nion posted:

I don't play Haven, but I'll take a look.

Things I'd work towards getting 4 of:
Week of Training
Tithe Collector
Loyal Griffin
Wolf Captain (Really expensive, but really awesome)
Crusader Watchman
Crusader Treasurer
Scattershot Marksman
Geyser

Probably focus on the Geysers, as the Wolf Captain costs an arm and a leg and a giant pile of Wildcards.

Crusader Watchman, Treasurer, and Scattershot Marksman are all in Forgotten Wars packs. That'll be how you get your wildcards for the captains.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Jedit posted:

Sayama Stalkers are great early drops, you should never play less than 4 in any Sanctuary deck. There is no 2-drop other than Wolf Captain that can be put in front of them and live

Watchman Crusaders, Tree of Hanging and Wizard Tutors come to mind, and there are probably more.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Dahbadu posted:

I was talking to some goons in IRC, and it got me interested in building a Seria deck based around fortunes. Unfortunately I don't have enough WC at the moment to build it. If anyone wants to build it and test it out, feel free to tell me the results.

http://tools.mmdocking.com/decks/show/1955

Note that the deck may be a little tricky to play.

It occurs to me that soul-consuming lich + tower of the gardener = huge pain in the rear end.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

THE PWNER posted:

Weird that there's even a penalty for surrendering, I've been doing it because I think it's just polite not to spend 4 or 5 more turns in a game I know I can't win. Now I have to stop?!?!

Just end turn without acting until the game ends.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

THE PWNER posted:

Does this work even if the damage from the attack on you is prevented?

Reading from the card, it does damage equal to the attacker's attack stat. So yes, it would damage the hero even if the attack bounced off an ice shell or stone shield.

E: Jesus, you could pull a counter-OTK out of nowhere with this, that'd have to be the most entertaining way to win.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Hmm. What if Resurrection were a buff you'd attach to a creature, then when it died, it'd just pop right back up in the same place?

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Bussamove posted:

As someone who runs very few fortunes in his main decks, I can't stress enough how good Week of Taxes is and how many games it's saved me. I'm highly considering running 4 of it and 4 Cosmic Balance as my events to offset the two deck types I tend to do worst against. Without the red warning number on the cards themselves after the errata so many people don't notice their fortunes are going to cost more.

That being said I've been hit with the opposite and not noticed when there are Mana Storms on the board.

That awkward moment when you use a gold pile then wonder where the resources went.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
That champ deck is easily enough to get anyone to 1000+, Sacrificial Altar is criminally under-rated. Unfortunately the deck starts to not work against some of the current meta netdecks, because of the lack of any cards from Forgotten Wars or Five Towers, but hey! Got the Paos, got the DAs, got the events... hey Ishuma, try these on...

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Dahbadu posted:

For your viewing pleasure:

What the gently caress deck were you using to get this kind of response and how can I build one?

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm still going to argue that Seria's quite strong; Fortune Seria can be very interesting, and water/dark is a heck of a combination.

Am I right in thinking Strength of the Sea + Throne of Renewal = happy times?

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Have they said anything about reducing the absurd wildcard costs and/or reverting the amount you get from packs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Korlac posted:

So to my point then, there's strategy I'm missing.

Or more precisely, Haven uniques. Anael especially.

• Locked thread