Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Fart Pipe posted:

I definitely plan on using it for work. Just light duty pulling the trailer for mowing. I won't be hauling dirt and mulch with it since I can just use the 86 for that. I worry about using up the brake drums because they are NLA so until I can find some I'm stuck with what I have.

What is the drivetrain like? Two speed rear end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Fart Pipe posted:

Nope just a single with 6.16 gears. 4 forward gears but I don't know if first is a granny gear or not yet. Its a crash box too so I'm going to have to brush up on my double clutching.

Wow. At 55mph that's like completely wrapped out eh? Assuming a 30" tire around 3600 RPM.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Ferremit posted:

you know the ash in the bottom of your burn drum is now full of asbestos now, right?

I think we need to keep in mind that he's dealing with asbestos - once - in his life. He's not a miner in Libby Montana pulling it out of the ground every day for 20 years.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Looks great! Will you be doing any modernizing of it?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Fart Pipe posted:

This is my pain, this is the longest it has run so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NSza36q-JY

It's so frustrating to watch! It's just not pushing enough power to keep running? Late spark? No fuel? Air leak?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Is there something wrong with the camshaft or valve train causing excessive vacuum or compression?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Fart Pipe posted:

So Ive been doing some tweaking, I think I got it just right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0agA3Sj1N8

Here it is at idle now. I just have to adjust the valve lash when its warm. One rocker is way off but I had to do it cold to get it started

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tb7H8ogEdE

Also the dump bed works!

GET OUT CHAIR AND CARPET.

I am surprised that you didn't have any hydraulic issues to go with the bed.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Fart Pipe posted:

Bhp was 131 at 3600 rpms, 208.5 ft/ lbs of torque at 2000.

Gross, of course, not net.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Fart Pipe posted:

A little more time with the buffer and some carnuba wax.

I might try wet sending the hood to see what happens but I'm pretty happy with it. The paint is 50 years old, it was painted about 10 years after it was new. I still have to do some of the details by hand that I couldn't reach with the buffer. Probably after we get the flathead in, though.

I'm jealous that your work truck is clean, shiny and straight and my farm truck is in tatters.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Seat Safety Switch posted:

edit: Looks like '70s IHs came from the factory with either a Delco or Holley vacuum advance dizzy, but I don't know too much about them.

That part is right.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Fart Pipe posted:

Mine is a Delco and it does have vacuum advance. Its a different setup than I was familiar with and I just figured out how to work it. The reason it was starting so hard originally was that the advance was sticking because I didnt know it was supposed to move on the outside of the dizzy. Once I figured that out I was able to get it to start and still have the timing advanced enough so that it wasnt a total dog for making power. What happens is that the vacuum advance increases the timing as soon as the engine starts and begins making vacuum. Then it moves around like a normal setup when I drive.

Do you need to disconnect the vacuum advance to set the timing?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Fart Pipe posted:

Thats the weird part on this one is that I dont think you are supposed to. It has 2 timing adjustments, one for the distributor and one for the vacuum advance. Thats the part that I figured out afterwards and got it to start easily and have enough power. The vacuum line is metal also and would be a pain to undo each time I played with the timing.

e: forgot a word

That's why I phrased my question that way. Sounds very strange indeed, any photos of the distributor? Curiosity only, I don't know anything about that setup.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Fart Pipe posted:

I had to move the Forester out to make room for the Buick and figured out that it was my rear brake that was hosed and not a bearing like I thought. The left rear wheel was locked solid so I had to torch my clutch a little to break it free. After that it was making the most horrible noises since a piece of the brake shoe was stuck to the drum. Im so glad its going to be an easy and cheap fix.

drat! There's no friction material on those shoes at all.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
My transmission also takes 90wt mineral oil (GL-1), and the previous owner for like a year had filled it with GL-4, which took some life off of my synchros. Obviously you don't have synchros in that transmission but was your used oil ever glimmering with gold flakes after a change?

I certainly remember it shifting nicer afterwords too. Use the fluids recommended! I ended up buying 5 gallons of it for $60 since that's so much more economical.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Nice work! Was that FPR about $150? Debating that or replacing the pump on my truck. My pump is not very good to begin with so I’ll probably replace it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Is there a folksy phrase for that? Sunshowers are the devil beating his wife, this feels a step above that.