Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Is there a thread anywhere for actually getting into competitive dotes a la the TF2 one? Probably some way off playing with anyone but mates as I'm hilariously scrub-tier but I never see anyone on SA talking about playing outside of normal matchmaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Baron FU posted:

I also don't think it's reasonable to compare TF2 and Dota 2 as competitive games. TF2 has a fraction of everything Dota 2 has, that includes lan events, sponsorship money, teams, tournaments, viewers as well as overall playercount.

Yet somehow very little in the way of lower level stuff, whereas there's loads of amateur leagues for TF2 :smith:

Anyway, thanks for the responses - didn't realise it was quite so pro-focused. That JoinDOTA league looks ideal though.

mfcrocker fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 10, 2014

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Baron FU posted:

The ranked matchmaking system "is" the lower level competitive play in dota 2. You even start to meet pro-players when you get to a certain rating!

I just prefer something a bit more organised I guess! :shobon:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Kyrosiris posted:

Then you either want TMM/group ranked or one of the numerous beer league options mentioned above.

Yeah, definitely gonna have a poke around my friends and see if I can put together a team for scrub-tier joinDOTA. There's a week left for signups so it may be worth me throwing up a thread.

Meat Recital posted:

EternalEnvy made a long post on Team Liquid on how to get in to the pro scene and how to make money playing Dota. It's kind of old though.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=385238

I'd be stunned if I ever made a penny from dotes ;)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Might have to rewatch the TI3 finals at some point this weekend :allears:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

TheRat posted:

And n0tail soloed roshan at lvl6 by wardtrapping him :stare:

He didn't stop soloing Roshan, it was great :allears:

Also that was a dumb loving first blood

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Here it comesssss :dance:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
If s4 has any sense he'll be building into Refresher :allears:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Kyrosiris posted:

And scepter :allears:

n0tail was absolutely melting racks earlier with double sets of aghs wards

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Goetta posted:

I'd guess that fnatic is probably one of the top money earning teams given how they seem to finish in the top two or three of every event. Although TI3 probably skews everything a lot.

Yeah all Internationals will gently caress with those stats, hence Na'Vi being the money leaders by a country mile.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

TheRat posted:

Yeah, I dont see how Alliance can do this :(

They probably can't. Their draft is basically "best of 6.78"

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
It'll be interesting to see what Fnatic do in draft Game 2 as their problem this game really wasn't in the draft.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
StarLadder StarSeries, brought to you in association with LIMP BIZKIT MOTHERFUCKER (buy our lovely weaver set)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
That's pretty much the best fight Na'Vi are going to take. Guess they can use the rest of this game as a warmup

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

TheQat posted:

0 deaths on slark and mirana combined. Hard to win when you can't kill either carry!

1400 gold off of the Slark :stare:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Slark picked every single game so far

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Firebatgyro posted:

Yeah concoction is as intended right now, its just different than Dota 1. Alch probably needs a nerf though for the sake of both competitive and pub.

What's the solution? Just shorten the stun? He's still a godlike farmer.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I'm probably one of the only people in the universe who likes Tobi's casting. Absolute shitstain of a person sometimes, but fun to watch.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

In the unmentioned but controversial casters to like, I really enjoy Pyrion Flax guestcasting. He of course knows less about DOTA than most, but he sort of plays that straight, asks questions, is interested, and often very funny about things without taking up all the space. Good for keeping the energy up during a game where there are less exciting stretches.

He does ham up the ignorance a bit but it's basically impossible not to like PF :shobon: (even if his voice pack has him inexplicably doing impressions of random accents of the UK)

Kyrosiris posted:

I mean, sure, he's fun to watch, but I'd rather not support a shitstain like him, even if he is fun to watch. v:shobon:v

Yeah, it's one of those annoying "enjoy the media, acknowledge the serious issues with it" bits.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

TheRat posted:

Im not looking to marry him so his transgressions from time to time dont bother me

Yeah, but I'm a dirty SJW :v:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Craptacular! posted:

Tobi and Bruno? Absolute gold.

Tobi and Bruno needs to be a permanent fixture.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Craptacular! posted:

I didn't realize this until Tobi began to get up and leave because he was so certain that [A] would pick PL. Bruno grabbed him by the hand and gave him a Support Group Lecture that everything was going to be okay and he was certain it was going to be another hero, and then they celebrated when it turned out to be Something Else.

Casters who react to the possibility of Rat Dota like a suicide watch is in effect are my kind of casters. Even if Tobi is a creep.

Is there a clip of this? :allears:

E: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAjh7Box6ug

mfcrocker fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jan 24, 2014

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Majuju posted:

"hey guys let's give Singsing Mirana"

What could possibly go wrong!? :v:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Srice posted:

I can accept XBOCT standing in on 2 teams, but they don't even have a rule that if you play in the tournament as part of a team you can't stand in for another team in the tournament? Bwah?

This being the same tournament that had match fixing in it

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah you only have to have watched one SingSing Mirana game (and there are many to know he's sick as hell with her

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
loving hell, ban SingSing's Mirana.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
He is pretty much your standard "gamer with lovely opinions about women" except, you know, spouts them out in front of 20,000 viewers.

E: or 100,000 in the case of TI

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Welcome to D2CL, bought to you on glorious MW radio

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

TheRat posted:

I think I might buy tickets for this, germany isnt that far away. Hope some goons go so we can get stupidly drunk in frankfurt and have pedantic discussions over whos the worst caster :)

I might give it a go, though might be a stretch with a honeymoon to spring for the month before :(

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
This looks like a really, really high production deal - looking forward to seeing what they can pull off. If I remember rightly the first DreamLeague looked miles beyond the content other DOTA streams were putting out.

E: This is a loving wonderful time to be a dotes fan :3:

mfcrocker fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 26, 2014

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

TheQat posted:

Pretty much, and it has the best casting team too (unless you're some scrub who cares about "professionalism")

I really like the GD Studio. Honestly, the whole setup last DreamHack was superb.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Oh look, Sing Sing has Mirana. I wonder how this will go.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Haha, Mirana AND Visage first-banned

E: THE MANLIEST CLOUD PICK

mfcrocker fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 27, 2014

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
iG trying to throw this.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Pureauthor posted:

Love these guys.

Hope they don't settle into a one-trick pony of 'The Team that Picks Sniper and WK' though.

If they do people will just start stomping them.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Dang, wish I was at home - easy rares backing Empire at the moment (especially when 70% back Na'Vi)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Meat Recital posted:

Fnatic has been defecated upon by that Axe.

The dunks!

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

I agree with him - at the moment, Liquid shouldn't get a direct invite to TI4. They've not been a "team" at any point and it's catching up with them.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Craptacular! posted:

I don't know how many teams are "great friends." Alliance and pre-shuffle LGD were sort of exceptional for that.

I don't think they need to be great friends but it would probably help if they really wanted to spend any time with each other at all. As it stands they're little more than colleagues, which isn't very conducive to getting good performances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

ChaosReaper posted:

You know for me Fluff comes off real bad after reading that huge blog post. I can understand being frustrated with how you are playing and maybe pushing for some changes but I don't think you tell the world that. I know he has blogged before about stuff but ,with a team thats playing badly already, it seems like a bad idea to put yourself out there right now like that. Parts of it also come off as him giving veiled threats of leaving if he doesn't get his way. Whoever is captaining that team right now is probably a bit pissed after reading that.

That's the thing, it doesn't sound like anyone's doing a particular job of captaining right now. It sounds like they utterly lack anyone to call.

• Locked thread