Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Wow. Sometimes cops really do deserve some leniency for when poo poo gets bad because someone is resisting, but he loving announces he is going to gently caress him up and then does so. If you can't get a conviction with that there is basically no evidence that would have done it.

The jury gives you judgements reflecting on your population just as much as (or more than) on the accused...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaginapocalypse
Mar 15, 2013

:qq: B-but it's so hard being white! Waaaaaagh! :qq:

SedanChair posted:

He was unkempt, so it's OK that he was killed. <---the mindset of millions of Americans

Holy poo poo, gently caress America. :(

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

DarkCrawler posted:

Alright, so if I am homeless person or a black dude in U.S. there is what, a 20% chance that if someone brutally murders me they go free?

Hah, I wish I still had your cock-eyed optimism. There was an infographic floating around, about white/black on black/white homicides, in states with SYG laws and without them -- but now I can't find it. Suffice to say your number is low.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

Is this a deliberate tactic or is it an accident due to there being multiple people being present who think that they're the one in charge of giving orders to the suspect?

Not that it excuses them when someone gets harmed or killed because of it, as that shouldn't happen regardless, but there's definitely a difference. If it's deliberate there needs to be some serious action taken against police departments who do it by the government complete with firings and criminal charges. If it's accidental then the police need to drastically revise their training and policies for chain of custody of suspects.

I work in Mental Health. When we confront someone who is agitated or aggressive, we let one person do the talking. No-one else is supposed to talk. Just let one person (usually the most senior staff present, or the most familiar with the patient/client) talk, and then you don't get conflicting orders and its less confusing - that and no-one talks over each other.

But then again, we're trying to help people - we're not police.

And we're Canadian.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Radish posted:

Yeah I REALLY want to hear the jury interviewed on this one. I'm not surprised since even when these sorts of cases go to trial juries are absurdly lenient on cops, I assume due to years of propaganda about how they are heroes and that their jobs are "one of the deadliest in the world" when they are not but in this case the evidence is hilariously against them. I'm curious if this is authoritarian worship, some sort of homeless people don't have rights so why ruin the lives of people over one getting itself killed, or if there is some quirk of the justice system.

The presumption that a cop is acting in good faith is really, really durable with a lot of people. Maybe even most people. Juries are lenient for approximately the same reason most people wouldn't accuse a heart surgeon who lost a patient of murder. Cops sometimes have to make tough calls so labeling them as criminals when a decision ends badly can seem like punishing somebody just for doing hard job.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Wow. Sometimes cops really do deserve some leniency for when poo poo gets bad because someone is resisting, but he loving announces he is going to gently caress him up and then does so. If you can't get a conviction with that there is basically no evidence that would have done it.

I think you're overreacting, it was clearly a joke. You know those classic gut chest and face busting authoritarian jokes. Haha!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

AKA Pseudonym posted:

The presumption that a cop is acting in good faith is really, really durable with a lot of people. Maybe even most people. Juries are lenient for approximately the same reason most people wouldn't accuse a heart surgeon who lost a patient of murder. Cops sometimes have to make tough calls so labeling them as criminals when a decision ends badly can seem like punishing somebody just for doing hard job.

At this point it's statistically clear that civilians have a lot more to fear from cops than the other way around in addition to being more legally culpable if a tough call has to be made so it would be nice if that sort of notion would dissipate from the public consciousness but I know it won't until more white people keep getting killed by cops.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Maybe the cops just had a really good lawyer.

As a matter of fact...

http://www.ocweekly.com/2005-03-03/news/see-no-evil/

quote:

Barnett is a trial lawyer who limps slightly and wears unremarkable suits. But if he worked in Texas, they'd call him something like "Racehorse" for his inspiring courtroom performances. His specialty is rare: Barnett can take seemingly incontestable videotaped evidence against his clients and convince jurors to doubt their own eyes.

Such magic has earned Barnett national headlines over the years. The Laguna Beach lawyer saved Theodore Briseño from prison after the Los Angeles cop was filmed with his colleagues beating Rodney King in 1992. A decade later, a bystander videotaped another cop—Inglewood officer Jeremy Morse—violently pounding a handcuffed suspect during a traffic stop. Morse also hired Barnett, who twice blocked prosecutors seeking convictions for excessive force.

The guy also defended Gregory Haidl in the notorious gang rape case that ended up getting Sheriff Mike Carona in prison on corruption charges. Haidl got convicted, but only after a second trial; the first jury deadlocked.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I can't really understand it, is the man some kind of level 20 sorcerer or some poo poo? How do you present an actual video of some guys killing another guy and then convince a dozen people (even halfwitted ones) that the video is not, in fact, of some guys killing another guy?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think it's more about convincing them the dead guy deserved it. Although when the guy in the video states he is gonna do what he did I think that there is more involved than just the lawyer's amazing abilities.

I'd also like to know the jury makeups. I get the feeling that if you stack the jury with conservative, just world types you could convince them that a five year old deserved to get murdered as long as the person doing it is some sort of authority figure.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

avisgoth posted:

From the article:

Cicinelli was ecstatic, Schwartz said.
“He was relieved, after 2 1/2 years of having this over your head,” Schwartz said. “We’re just going to have to take a deep breath and enjoy the moment.”

While I'm upset at the overall outcome here for some reason that quote makes me completely enraged.

How about this:

SF Chronicle posted:

Cicinelli, 41, wiped tears from his eyes and Ramos, 39, put his head down and rubbed his temples before turning to his supporters and winking.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Slavvy posted:

I can't really understand it, is the man some kind of level 20 sorcerer or some poo poo? How do you present an actual video of some guys killing another guy and then convince a dozen people (even halfwitted ones) that the video is not, in fact, of some guys killing another guy?

The purpose of a lawyer in a case like this one is to cast doubt on the circumstances surrounding the video, rather than trying to deny the video itself. You saw his argument in the article: two noble police officers couldn't contain the monstrous strength of a diagnosed schizophrenic. To a jury of people who, in all likelihood, have grown up with a symbolic image of the police as law-abiding protectors, this argument is incredibly convincing, since it relieves the tension between the symbolic identity of the police and their videotaped actions.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Ahahahahaha, I kinda suspected the defense attorney had something to do with the acquital, but I didn't expect it to be a guy who actually got the Rodney King verdict.

They really brought in a ringer for this one.

RazorDX
Nov 7, 2008

DarkCrawler posted:

Alright, so if I am homeless person or a black dude in U.S. there is what, a 20% chance that if someone brutally murders me they go free?

In Detroit, those odds jump to 90%.

Only 10% of murder cases are investigated. You don't even have to go through the court process, you can just "enjoy the moment."

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Six cops are acquitted from a murder caught on camera, voice, and admitted to by the officers themselves; another school shooting; and net neutrality laws were struck down. Here's my vision of America in the 2020's:

Your kids have to go to school wearing Kevlar backpacks and vests, while back at home the police have just broken into your house, are holding you down with a gun to your head while they sit on your couch and use your credit card to pay the fees your ISP charges per YouTube video, on top of the fees they charge you just to be able to access YouTube.

What a piece of poo poo country, with piece of poo poo citizens who would literally acquit murderers just because they have a badge. Does anyone have any suggestions on the easiest countries to immigrate to, legally or illegally?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

redscare posted:

As a matter of fact...

http://www.ocweekly.com/2005-03-03/news/see-no-evil/

The guy also defended Gregory Haidl in the notorious gang rape case that ended up getting Sheriff Mike Carona in prison on corruption charges. Haidl got convicted, but only after a second trial; the first jury deadlocked.

Well I'll be damned. This guy is both very impressive and also thoroughly detestable. With the limp and the nickname it makes me feel like he just walked out of a TV show where he was the main villain. It makes me wish you could watch the courtroom video of him to see just how on Earth he manages to convince a jury to let a man they watch beat somebody to death go free.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Everyone deserves a defense and it's the prosecution's job to get the guys convicted so unless he did something shady I begrudgingly can't be that angry there. I'm more concerned with how twelve people are able to be convinced like that after seeing the video and how our society created them.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Well I'll be damned. This guy is both very impressive and also thoroughly detestable. With the limp and the nickname it makes me feel like he just walked out of a TV show where he was the main villain. It makes me wish you could watch the courtroom video of him to see just how on Earth he manages to convince a jury to let a man they watch beat somebody to death go free.

Why is a competent defense attorney detestable? Would you rather he did a terrible job?

To me, regardless of who they defend, a defense attorney that gets their client off is doing their job and morally too. It's only detestable when they don't try.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Thundercracker posted:

Why is a competent defense attorney detestable? Would you rather he did a terrible job?

To me, regardless of who they defend, a defense attorney that gets their client off is doing their job and morally too. It's only detestable when they don't try.

I'm not a fan of when they put the victim on trial such as when rape victims are accused of wanting it or being sluts so how could they be raped but I think that sort of thing has been somewhat curtailed as long as he or she is still alive.

Mayor_McCheese
Apr 26, 2010

I declare the McRib to be awesome!!!
This is a quote from Kelly's dad:

"When I arrived at the hospital to see him, I honestly thought that gang bangers had got a hold of him like the cowards sometimes do and just beat him with a baseball bat in the face," he said. "Immediately my thoughts were to get with Fullerton police ... and I didn't learn until a certain amount of hours later the truth. That put me in absolute shock."

This is what he looked like in the hospital before he died. This is how his family last saw him. Now tell me how this was justified? It is graphic so view if you want. I think it needs to be seen. We can't ignore this poo poo.

GRAPHIC:
http://www.fullertonsfuture.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Kelly-Thomas-Police-Beating.jpg

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Mayor_McCheese posted:

This is a quote from Kelly's dad:

"When I arrived at the hospital to see him, I honestly thought that gang bangers had got a hold of him like the cowards sometimes do and just beat him with a baseball bat in the face," he said. "Immediately my thoughts were to get with Fullerton police ... and I didn't learn until a certain amount of hours later the truth. That put me in absolute shock."

This is what he looked like in the hospital before he died. This is how his family last saw him. Now tell me how this was justified? It is graphic so view if you want. I think it needs to be seen. We can't ignore this poo poo.

GRAPHIC:
http://www.fullertonsfuture.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Kelly-Thomas-Police-Beating.jpg

:stonk:
What's the point of beating someone into that state, even if you have a sadistic streak?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Radish posted:

and how our society created them.

"This victim wasn't a white person living in the suburbs"
"You have to be tough on crime"
"Being a cop is literally being a hero since it's the most dangerous job ever that's not war"

Merge those three thoughts together.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

blowfish posted:

:stonk:
What's the point of beating someone into that state, even if you have a sadistic streak?

Thinking that the individual you're beating isn't a real person, and instead vermin to be squashed. Really that's all I can come up with, and is how some people see the homeless.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That defense attorney is a proud and noble one in the tradition of John Adams. Other than the murdering police, there's no one to blame but the jury themselves, and the pool from which they were drawn. American citizens enable corruption and impunity with their incurious credulity and worship of authority. :argh:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Slavvy posted:

It's not that hard. All you have to do is convince the jury that they don't want to believe the video is real, then introduce a bunch of doubts and alternative interpretations that almost sound reasonable if you don't think about them too hard. And since the defendants in this case were police, the first condition was already met before the trial even started, so the defense lawyer just had to come up with alternative scenarios for everything. Once you've done those two things, the human mind subconsciously takes care of most of the rationalization and reinterpretation necessary to turn "a brutal beating of a defenseless man" into "heroic cops struggling to subdue a monster who was grabbing for their weapons and whose drug/rage/insanity/adrenaline-fueled strength makes him impervious to pain and tasers while endowing him with the power to wrestle multiple cops at once".

The human mind is really spectacular at reinterpreting facts and events to fit the worldview and beliefs we already hold, often without us even noticing we're doing it, and I'm sure the defense dragged up literally every single instance of drug use, violence, or encounters with police that the victim had ever had in order to reinforce the jurors' view of him as a violent bad man. Then he just had to trot out the usual police violence tropes like "he refused to obey police orders" and "he wasn't stopped by the taser" and "one of the cops thought he was grabbing for a weapon/a cop's weapon". For people already looking to blame the altercation, the intensity of the altercation, and the results of the incident all on the victim, that's all you need.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

BattleMaster posted:

Is this a deliberate tactic or is it an accident due to there being multiple people being present who think that they're the one in charge of giving orders to the suspect?

Not that it excuses them when someone gets harmed or killed because of it, as that shouldn't happen regardless, but there's definitely a difference. If it's deliberate there needs to be some serious action taken against police departments who do it by the government complete with firings and criminal charges. If it's accidental then the police need to drastically revise their training and policies for chain of custody of suspects.

Cops go through too much training. They should follow a standard procedure to arrest someone every time. I guess their standard procedure is to shoot first and ask questions never though. I wish cops would actually be willing to sacrifice themselves to protect the constitution.

Mayor_McCheese
Apr 26, 2010

I declare the McRib to be awesome!!!

Main Paineframe posted:

It's not that hard. All you have to do is convince the jury that they don't want to believe the video is real, then introduce a bunch of doubts and alternative interpretations that almost sound reasonable if you don't think about them too hard. And since the defendants in this case were police, the first condition was already met before the trial even started, so the defense lawyer just had to come up with alternative scenarios for everything. Once you've done those two things, the human mind subconsciously takes care of most of the rationalization and reinterpretation necessary to turn "a brutal beating of a defenseless man" into "heroic cops struggling to subdue a monster who was grabbing for their weapons and whose drug/rage/insanity/adrenaline-fueled strength makes him impervious to pain and tasers while endowing him with the power to wrestle multiple cops at once".

The human mind is really spectacular at reinterpreting facts and events to fit the worldview and beliefs we already hold, often without us even noticing we're doing it, and I'm sure the defense dragged up literally every single instance of drug use, violence, or encounters with police that the victim had ever had in order to reinforce the jurors' view of him as a violent bad man. Then he just had to trot out the usual police violence tropes like "he refused to obey police orders" and "he wasn't stopped by the taser" and "one of the cops thought he was grabbing for a weapon/a cop's weapon". For people already looking to blame the altercation, the intensity of the altercation, and the results of the incident all on the victim, that's all you need.

(Unfortunately)I think your statement is very real. We like things to 'make sense' and the brain will do what it takes to make things feel that way. It fills in the gaps.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

effectual posted:

Cops go through too much training. They should follow a standard procedure to arrest someone every time. I guess their standard procedure is to shoot first and ask questions never though. I wish cops would actually be willing to sacrifice themselves to protect the constitution.

OFFICER SAFETY OFFICER SAFETY OFFICER SAFETY. Officer safety, your number one job is to get home to your wife and kids. Officer safety; if a perp is less than 21 feet away from you and has a weapon you're already dead. Officer safety. I ain't dying in no ghetto; officer safety, civilians just don't understand.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
I'm shaking, I haven't been able to stop crying all day. Oh my god, America is dead. Today, we are all SedanChairs in outrage. gently caress the Patriarchy Police. I can't breathe, palms are sweaty, there's vomit on my sweater already, mom's spaghetti.

Free Mumia

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

effectual posted:

SedanChair posted:

OFFICER SAFETY OFFICER SAFETY OFFICER SAFETY. Officer safety, your number one job is to get home to your wife and kids. Officer safety; if a perp is less than 21 feet away from you and has a weapon you're already dead. Officer safety. I ain't dying in no ghetto; officer safety, civilians just don't understand.
Basically this. You're not going to convince many people to be a martyr for $18,500 a year.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Do they have sick bags in the jury benches? Because if I was there I probably would need one during the defense's justification of the actions in that video.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Basically this. You're not going to convince many people to be a martyr for $18,500 a year.

Sure you are, look at all the other high-risk professions (or care professions) that get paid less than police officers.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

What cops make 18500 a year?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lyesh posted:

Sure you are, look at all the other high-risk professions (or care professions) that get paid less than police officers.

Being black and/or female and/or gay doesn't get you a dime and you've got conservatives trying to murder your rear end to hell and back.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Xandu posted:

A Rent-A-Cop! :rimshot:

...I'll show myself out.

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012

effectual posted:

American police are taught to be ultra-aggressive and to minimise the risk to their persons in every situation. The death/murder of innocent people is inevitable in a system that affords the benefit of the doubt to the confrontational 'peace officer' and not the person who was minding their own business.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

I get the idea that a defense attorney is morally obliged to defend anyone put in front of them regardless of apparent innocence or guilt, but that gets kind of shaky when your specialty is getting acquittals for cops who get filmed committing racially charged murders. It undermines the "I'm obliged to defend anyone" excuse when your clientele consists solely of white authority figures in positions of power.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Lyesh posted:

Nobody asks crab fishermen or lumberjacks to "sacrifice themselves to protect the constitution" though. There's a world of difference between being willing to do a job with a high rate of injury and knowingly taking one for the team.

Xandu posted:

When I was getting out of school a few years back that was the average starting salary for sheriff's deputies around here.

My point is that in many jurisdictions police are under-trained and underpaid. If you want thugs giving a man a club and paying him minimum wage is fine, but if you want someone who is willing to actively police and protect the community that doesn't cut it.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 15, 2014

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Microcline posted:

I get the idea that a defense attorney is morally obliged to defend anyone put in front of them regardless of apparent innocence or guilt, but that gets kind of shaky when your specialty is getting acquittals for cops who get filmed committing racially charged murders. It undermines the "I'm obliged to defend anyone" excuse when your clientele consists solely of white authority figures in positions of power.

I mean, it's easy to get morally outraged at this person, but at the end of the day he's simply exploiting much deeper-seated issues present in the American psyche. We can easily reverse the situation to think about this: two men being videotaped murdering a police officer begging for his life would be lucky to avoid the death sentence, depending on the state they're in. Why are these two situations so dramatically different? Is this necessarily a good thing? What can be done to change it, if not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It varies greatly based on jurisdiction.

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/careers/uni_benefits.php

• Locked thread