Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stump collector
May 28, 2007
http://www.youtube.com/user/unswlolsoc?feature=watch

This is a link to a youtube channel by a guy who does extremely helpful League videos.

I like the OP. I'd say Barrier is better than Heal now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Zerilan posted:

Any tips on getting the most out of Sivir? Bought her and tried her out for a couple games and really love her kit. Ricochet seems like it's well suited to being really aggressive and forcing opponents under tower a lot.

I start W E Q or W Q E and then max Q. W is an auto attack reset if you use it after your first auto attack has already been launched at the enemy.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Get chalice and don't upgrade it into anything. Alternately, rely only on auto attacks unless you have blue buff.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure how they'd balance Manamune between being hella OP and useless like it is now except for like, what, two champions? Jayce and Kha are the only two I can think of who'd want it and Kha doesn't even need it anymore cause both he and it got nerfed so hard.

AD Chalice would have to be rather weak on providing actual combat stats to not totally overshadow Manamune, I think. I'd like to see them take all the just straight up manaless champs (Garen, Kat, Riven, etc.) and make them have mana though, cause at least Riven might be interesting if she were forced to build Manamune, for example.

Uh, I haven't gotten to play Jayce too much, but I've generally been going Muramana -> BOTRK -> BC. I don't think I've had a game go on long enough to reach full build but after that I'd probably go LW -> IE -> Sunfire/GA. I've built a Maw in a game with a fed Akali though. I dunno, I basically build Jayce like I build Kha, I just have a ton of fun nailing people with lightning blasts and then beating the poo poo out of them with my hammer. :allears:

How am I supposed to play ranked, exactly? It feels like every game either my whole team gets rocked or all but one of my lanes wins and the one that loses loses cause some rear end in a top hat who's gold/plat/diamond is smurfing and is having fun crushing silver/bronzes. Am I just supposed to accept that I'm going to get smashed every game by a smurf and be useless forever in ranked? I guess that's the plight of a new level 30 Bronze V-III. :smith:

Manamune is still a good item. Jayce and Nidalee loved tear items because they got to charge it for free. Jayce was extremely overpowered on release, and was still a little overtuned at the time of his latest nerfs. However, :riot: nerfed both his kit and his favorite item at the same time. Now you have to play him perfectly or you'll lose your lane and be useless lategame because he needs so much gold now.

I would never build BOTRK on Jayce or Khazix. You want to stack AD on both of these champions. BOTRK is a waste of gold for an AD caster. Zed is the only exception - his ult is made for the BoTRK active. Every other AD caster wants Ravenous Hydra or Bloodthirster if you're itemizing for lifesteal.

My Jayce build would go like this: start doran's blade and rush a brutalizer. You'll then want to start your tear -> manamune if you're going to build it. If you don't have it before 15 minutes, don't bother. I would then go for a BF sword into bloodthirster. Then Last whisper. Now upgrade your brutalizer to a black cleaver. Your Manamune should be fully charged now. If you didn't buy it, work on a GA or IE or something.

I don't think AD Chalice would ever happen because you'd see it on a ton of AD champions, including top laners and AD carries.

Ryze is a champion that also got nerfed at the same time his itemization got hit. He's in a lovely place right now. The only way you should lose to Ryze as Anivia is if your positioning is awful and he gets a lead. He will still do a lot of damage if he gets close to you. so as Anivia, you would need to zone him away from you. The best way to do this would be to land a good Q on him if he walks up to you. Then throw an E at him and auto attack him a couple of times. After you hit level 6 he should be completely useless. IF you get behind or waste your skills on creeps, you'll need to apply pressure elsewhere on the map and hope he fucks up while roaming. Ryze may be able 1v2 once he gets a charged Rod of Ages and Sorcerer Shoes and a Seraph's Embrace.

With 143 normal wins, you have probably only hit level 30. You should play at least 100 more games before attempting ranked because almost every single person queuing up has more experience than you. Otherwise, ride out the lopsided losses until you get placed. You'll be in bronze but you'll be able to climb if you are learning each game. It sounds like you may not enjoy ranked now or ever. Don't keep playing if you hate it.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

I think you can look at their skills and stuff but I really like that the wiki shows you AP/AD/whatever scaling percentages and nitty gritty details and wish they could somehow put that in the game too. I feel like that would be a UI nightmare though.

Tried jungle Kayle for the first time, in a ranked game no less, and actually did really well overall. Her initial clear is somewhat dicey and she really needs her jungler item + Stinger to effectively clear but she can gank pretty well and I feel like she'd be pretty good at fighting an attempt to counterjungle if it came to that. I don't know if that game was representative though cause the other team ran a Panth/Xin kill lane and did poorly for themselves.

Been doing much better in ranked so far now that I've been placed, even though I haven't been winning a lot. I do think I have a 50/50 win rate so far though (2/2), so hey, I guess that's something, right? One of them I didn't even lose cause we were the worse team, we lost cause we lost a guy mid game, so I guess I'm feeling better about it now.

What's the word on jungle Poppy? The main thread seems to love it, and her, and I tried it and sort of liked it but it was a losing game we got stomped in so I didn't get a good feel for how to really play her. I was building her AP though, Lich Bane first, if it makes a difference.

Poppy takes a while to get going. I'd take AS reds and AD quints, armor yellows, and AS blues if you can afford them. You need to build her as Lizard Elder to help with her clear times. You'll need potions early. Trinity force is core, get that next. You may want mobos for more map presence. Then maybe work into a LW/IE and a GA if you get fed.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

How Rude posted:

Tanky stuff like Randuin's would be a very good idea somewhere in there too.

I think with jungle poppy the idea is to just rely on your passive and ult to stay alive.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Practice the top lane purple side or the bot lane blue side walls to flash.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
You're supposed to push as an ADC because fundamentally you're there to take towers. You push as soon as you get to lane to hit level 2 faster, you push the lane to get minions to their turret so they can't back, you kill minions faster than the enemy so if they trade on your creep wave then your creeps will do more damage than theirs. The only time you shouldn't push is if you've got a huge advantage (2-x kill lead) and you're freezing to deny the other laner. This is pretty much only useful in competitive play. They also changed the jungle in S4 so that you can't deny levels as easily by freezing the lane at your tower.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
He also doesn't have a real obvious set of masteries you should take for him, either. I think his skills have decent base damages from 1-3 without a mana crystal, so I'd run him 0/21/9 to help with his early fragility. I'd also start cloth/potions or boots/potions and run movespeed quints, hybrid penetration reds, armor and MR for yellows and blues. Just focus on last hitting early and get to level 3 as soon as you can. You can trade really well as soon as you hit level 3 with this setup by weaving auto attacks in between spells. Lead with E if you can to reduce their MR before comboing them fully. Cloth armor will be built into Frozen Heart later on. Rush Catalyst and Tear. Get your Rod of Ages, finish Sorcerer Shoes and Archangel's Staff. Now you get Frozen Heart and Void Staff. Unfortunately Ryze does not have much build differentiation from game to game.

Last item do whatever. If you build WOTA you'll have some extreme sustain as well as some nice cooldown and okay mana regen. Deathcap will put you around 550 AP and really ramp up your damage. Lich Bane is funny and makes you run faster. Furor enchantment on boots also makes you run faster. If you need MR, Spirit Visage is still great for Ryze. Since it's at 10% CDR, FH and your Q CDR reduction will put you at 40%. Same with WOTA. Banshee's Veil also owns.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Don't buy it. You'd get more mileage out of buying an IP boost on its own. IP boosts give you 2x IP.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Nashor's is a good item when playing aggressively. I usually complete it 3rd or 4th.

It's often not necessary, because you're stacking AP. If you get ~500 AP and complete a Lich Bane, you'll blow up squishies in one auto/Q/auto.

I tend to avoid it if my primary focus is to create a giant minefield, but if I get fed, I like to blow people up, too.

stump collector fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 16, 2014

stump collector
May 28, 2007

GoldenSeraph posted:

I literally cannot play this game anymore.

Then quit.

Zerilan posted:

God the matchmaking in this is so painful mid 20s, just hit level 23. Got completely stomped in mid by a Talon and had to deal with the whole team screaming at me the full game (even though Talon didn't start being a huge problem until the jungler badly failed a gank and gave him double buffs). Check the Talon player's profile after the game. Oh, he's level SL30 with 1200 normals wins.

Try to learn from more experienced players. It'll help you to get better. Mute your team if they suck. I'm a gold V ADC player and had to support against a Diamond 1 player named "Master of LoL" who was on release Jinx. It was horrible but it helped me position much better in bot lane. I didn't make any positioning mistakes until a few minutes in. When I did, they were punished extremely hard.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
She didn't lose much power at all, she just won't one hit a carry at the end of a game. Still super powerful and a strong lane bully for mid or top.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

I didn't just say Jungle though? I said ADC/Jungle, which is what the bundle expands. It's kind of a given where they are going to go unless you're brand new.

Yeah, Vi's pretty much one of the best junglers right now, she'll get some tweaks to be in lines with the others soon enough, but I think she'll always be a great champion.

You started a new paragraph and wrote Jinx in the preceding sentence. Initially, I thought you meant to run Jinx as ADC and Jungle, too.

Austrian mook posted:

I kind of wanna start jungling Evelyn. Someone talk me out of this,

Ok. If you don't get ahead, your late game can suck if the enemy team comp has a good way to deal with you diving the backline.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I don't think you understand how to play Evelynn. She wasn't an excellent skirmisher before the changes. Her strength lies in abusing her stealth passive. Vision control is an objective. If your team loses that because the other team wards up your jungle and clears your stuff, Evelynn players will know where to attack and when they have the advantage. And you won't see them coming until they are in lane already.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Xoidanor posted:

Let me tell you all a cautionary tale from plat 4 duo queue about team composition. Learn from this so that you too can avoid utterly screwing over your team by ignoring their picks.

Never loving ever pick Lee Sin when your mid and top both have no real CC. :negative:

Gonna post this here as well with less writing, this is a good team comp.

Lee can W to Shyvana during her ultimate to the back line and get a free ticket to kick an enemy toward your team, or away from your team to zone them.

Jinx and Zilean can apply a super strong slow to an enemy, allowing Blitzcrank to get a pull. Lee can kick disengage.

Zilean can speed up Blitz for good hooks, or even speed him up while he uses his speed boost. Then he can ult, E, and hook after that to initiate.

You can also use Shyvana as a vehicle for your lategame bombs!

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Zilean is an insanely strong lane bully. What's your skill order on the time master, Xoidanor?

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Taric is an above average support that works well in many team comps. If the enemy team has 3 or 4 high damage AD threats, he's going to be a good pick up every time. He's very basic and doesn't have a lot of flashy play potential but he's a solid champion.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Aegis is 2000g and gives 2000g of stats to your team. You should get it every game if no one else does, because it helps an immense amount.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Just zone yourself away from him when his fury approaches 50. If you get close enough he's going to want to trade with you because he'll probably win it no matter what. Harass him as soon as he uses his fury on minions. Good Renekton players probably aren't going to use their fury to lasthit anything. Even if you get three unanswered ranged autos on him he can probably heal it back with one fury empowered Q. I think against Renekton you just need to zone yourself out until you are sure your jungler is going to help you secure a kill and you know that theirs won't be there. It's worth it to miss a little CS and XP, but don't fall too far behind or he can take the game over and you'll struggle mightily to catch up.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
There are hundreds of posts of arguments about oversexualization of female characters if you have access to archives. They was so much good discussion on the matter that it should not be brought up again!

In regard to feeling badly about being low ranked: it's largely a game against other people. The only way to get better and rank up is by playing it more. You need to enjoy the game when you're losing or you will have an awfully rough time, even if you win a majority of your games. If you're on tilt, play bot games or don't play at all.

stump collector fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 3, 2014

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

People whining about killstealing seem quite common in games against bots. Usually these people are quite silly about it too. They'll feel entitled to kills even if you started fighting a bot at the same time or if they had absolutely no way to secure the kill. It's best to ignore them altogether.

I was in a bot game with a 3 queue that all flamed me and said they were going to report me for KSing. I ended up with around 40 kills as Pantheon, getting flamed the whole match. They took their intermediate bots serious as heck.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
There are quite a few AP champions that are underwhelming until you have the proper runes and masteries. Lux specifically has poor waveclear until her E is level 3+. Without AP, I think you'd need to have her E at 4 or 5 to do anything to most minions. On my level 14 smurf I start with only 9 AP. On my level 30 account I start with 40 to 50 AP so my spells do a lot more early on.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

Cause it takes a million years to stack now and the toggle doesn't really feel that strong and just makes his mana problems even worse.

They really need an AD Chalice upgrade. :v:

They just changed the Tear to make it stack faster in the last patch. Were you even playing before the nerfs to the item?

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Have any of his nerfs gone through yet?

Yes, his base damages are awful now compared to before and his silence duration went from 1.5-2.8 to 1-2.

Crazy Larry posted:

So is it more or less likely that I'll get on teams where multiple people fight over a lane during champ selection and then decide a minute and a half into the game that I should go top lane as Amumu even though all of my masteries, abilities and item purchases were all done on the assumption I was going to jungle if I start playing draft instead of blind pick?

People generally figure stuff out earlier in draft modes but sometimes dodging a game is worth the 3 minute penalty. If I see people bitching in champ select I usually leave.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
If you miss a headbutt or pulverize early you're likely going to lose lane if punished. His mana costs are high and his cooldowns are punishing. Plus you can W people to safety if you mess up your W Q combo.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
The air client gets confused when looking at teams and ranked leagues all of the time. I often click on the Leagues tab of other players and it shows information for my own league instead. It's a bad client.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Obscurity posted:

I lose every single Leona game because apparently nobody knows how to fight when a Leona is initiating? I don't know. What I do know is that I will constantly combo into an enemy, easily killable by whomever I am in lane with, and the person in lane with me will either stand around not doing anything, or get killed because they can't position. I set up some really good plays (waiting for enemy adc to have no mana if annie stun is up, and then stunning annie, stunning champs in bushes near walls when playing with vaynes, etc) people just bad..

Furthermore, if it's time to Team fight..I will land ult on 2-3+ people and watch my team just run around in circles. I am currently still playing with mostly sub 30s, but we're all in the high 20s right now. It's been a while since I played at level 30 on my old account..will I experience people more willing to go in/knowledgeable while playing Leona at 30 in draft and ranked? Assume bronze-silver league to start. If not..I may just backburner her. :(

If you ult 2-3 people and nothing happens in your first team fight then save your kit to peel. You're in low elo and there are a lot of assassins there so just lock down people trying to kill your best chance of winning the fight. This can be dynamic throughout a game and even an extended teamfight. If someone is doing well in lane, roaming, snowballing hard, and then chases enemies in the lategame, don't help them. It's a hard skill to develop but with enough practice you'll get there.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I think that Machete/5 pots is a better idea for starting items after all the nerfs that have gone through.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

GreyPowerVan posted:

Yeah I don't think Phreak actually does this, at least not when he's streaming. That was probably just one of those "sounds cool" things. I know I don't and I'm pretty sure most people don't.

I do it if I haven't played in a while. Phreak may have large stretches of the week where he is too busy to be playing League. It's important to get into a rhythm early in lane so your farming is easier throughout the game and looking at minion health in the top right is a surefire way to tell if you're going to kill it.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Phuzzy posted:

Nope, not even that, he had a Feral Flare/Wriggles though. He just loved his loving CS I guess. :confused:

Farming Flare gives you more stacks for damage. Unfortunately everyone else in the game scales better than someone farming flare stacks because they're in solo lanes and get to buy real items.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Boxman posted:

I know what proc means, but where does the term come from? I'm guessing it's short for something but :confused:

Process

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I played like 400 bot games and around 50 against humans and started off in bronze 3. And you can place much higher if you wait until later in the season

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Tsurupettan posted:

I played solely for ARAM a year ago and had quit prior to that back when Brand came out. I recently reinstalled because my friend gets sad while playing dota and then doesn't do anything productive, but league doesn't do that to him. So I figure I'll give it another shot.

The account I'm on now has gently caress all and only has Ziggs, Sona and Ahri unlocked. Are any of these in meta right now? I know Sona has a history of getting hammered into the dirt by Riot.

I also don't know who else to buy. I traditionally play ranged supports in dota. I know Ziggs and Ahri aren't ranged supports but I grabbed them because they were fun in ARAM.

Those are all really good champions, especially Ahri. Ahri has been top tier in mid since release. Sona got a slight rework and is still a strong aggressive support but doesn't do well against strong all in lanes. Ziggs is still a strong wave control mage for midlane.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
that guy was an idiot, don't jungle without smite. Ryze will never clear the jungle quickly no matter what masteries and runes you have even if you are level 30. Just try and focus on trading fundamentals in lane and work at pinging your team to take objectives that make sense. Make sure you buy a ward or two every back and focus on farming and just try and learn what champions do what and don't get too discouraged when you get stomped. That usually means you're playing better and got into smurf tier. Which also means you can start seeing some higher level play and this will force you to make even better strategic decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Yeah bot games don't teach you poo poo. I played mostly bot games to 30 and then was bronze for a long time. If I had played normals only I think I would have had a better grasp on the game before jumping into ranked.

• Locked thread