Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
How blocking works:

Each character (and monster) has a "block percentage" chance, defaulting to 50 for characters. However, you only get a specific number of blocks per turn, defaulting to zero. Equipping a shield will give you +1 block, as will expert skills in shields, dual wield, two-handed, and spears. This makes a two-handed spear tank a completely reasonable thing. Blocks only apply after evasion on what would have otherwise been a hit, and are thus unaffected by the attack stat.

Blocks are per turn, meaning that if you have only a shield, no skills, and are hit with 4 attacks you'll block at most 1 of them. This also works for monsters: if you feel like your tank is worthless because all of his shots are blocked and he can never get off a challenge, have your tank attack second in the round instead of first.

Arcane focus attacks are unblockable and never miss. I have yet to try arcane focus tanking, but there might be some logic to it.

edit: I suggest putting this in the OP.

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Kanos posted:

Arcane Focus damage is completely unaffected by stats; the only thing that modifies them is having GM Focus. This means they will always do dogshit damage and if you're going to try an Arcane Focus tank the only point is to make sure your taunts don't miss. This is useful but it has some pretty huge holes, like any enemy that is immune to mind affecting(every boss!).
The upside to giving up on melee damage is that you can ignore might and focus more on your caster stats. A crusader built this way could go full Light/Air magic for bosses, for instance. And have a reasonable mana pool.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Madcosby posted:

Also forgot to mention, barrel drinking bonuses are always the same by color/type of liquid. I drink all the bubbling resistance on my freemage (to try and toughen her up) and the smooth liquid by type:
Red: Might (Orc)
White: Perception (Scout)
Blue: Magic (Freemage)

Also noteworthy is if you plan to get grandmaster arcane discipline (which gives mana return whenever you resist a spell), it is beneficial to have extra resist on that character.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Thuryl posted:

Note that the only class that can learn both Magical Focus and Warfare is the Crusader, and it can only learn Magical Focus to expert level. Even with 100% unblockable accuracy, your average damage output will probably suffer against most enemies. I'm sure it'd still be workable if you wanted, though.
That's not true, he can get GM Focus, but only Master Shield.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

alarumklok posted:

He definitely can only get expert focus, I've got a crusader I'm pretending is a holy paladin right now, and I really wish he could level it up more.
Yes you're right, I was looking at arcane discipline. Btw it's "magical focus" not "arcane focus", hence my fast-read mistake.

edit: also, you only need one point to do this strategy anyway as you want to equip a shield.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Mr Scumbag posted:

I will say this: I don't know how their RNG works, but it frequently feels like it's stacked. My blade dancer has points pumped into chance to hit (whatever that stat was called) from creation and is only hitting about 50% of the time (and I don't mean one hand at a time, but 50% of my attempts to attack miss with both hands and when I do hit, it's probably another 50/50 that it will be with both weapons). I've been poisoned way more times than I have potions, which just turns everything into a slog and my dwarf basically swings his axe at the air (I also gave him +chance to hit on creation) and absorbs a lot of damage until he gets poisoned and dies in a few steps because I ran out of antidote potions.
By "not hitting" do you mean "blocked" here? See above.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Waltzing Along posted:

Has anyone figured out how to: 1 - get the the area in the bottom left of level 2 of Castle Potmeyron? 2 - open the door in the top right of level 2?
That room opens from something you do on the complete opposite end of the map I think.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Mr Scumbag posted:

Blocking seems to be rare. Just tried two more runs with the same party and I still can't hit anything. This isn't RNG, something's hosed up.
Perception is the +hit chance stat (you did mean that right?)

And you are pumping your weapon skills (axe/sword) first, right? Those have more to do with hitting than even the armor skills.

And you're not fatigued I hope.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Waltzing Along posted:

I've run into an annoying bug. My BAR has his End skill high enough to train up. The trainer says he is not ready. I am hoping to find another trainer to see if it's just broken. I am also not putting points into END for anyone else because of this.
If you're talking about the guy in the first town, he's actually the master trainer, not the expert one. It will not be until Act 2 that you can get to the next town and find the expert endurance trainer, then you can go back to the first town and get the master level.

edit: wrong page

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 28, 2014

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Stanley Pain posted:

You either block or don't. 3 attacks vs 3 block chances happen as an individual roll for each attack attempt. If you have 3 blocks and 4 attacks incoming from the same mob, you'll only get 3 block attempts.
I don't think that's right, I think you make your block % roll against every attack until you hit the cap. It's not "number of block attempts", it's "number of blocks".

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Daler Mehndi posted:

I think I must have goofed at some point. I went to act 2 with a barbarian/bladedancer/freemage/runepriest, and after clearing up some of the enemies on the plains around Seahaven and reaching level 14~15, I'm getting my rear end kicked almost wherever I go. When I don't get my rear end kicked, it's usually after an extended fight and quaffing a whole bunch of mana potions. I think I selected Adventurer difficulty, so I feel like I missed something along the way.
The next piece of progression for you is the lost city. It's in the forest (don't fight the black super assassin guys just yet).

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Apoffys posted:

Ok, thanks, I'll have another look if I ever get out of this dungeon. Where am I supposed to go after killing Montbard? I'm lvl7, and I figured I ought to just push onwards after that, as I couldn't find any other paths with level-appropriate enemies, but now I'm stuck deep in the Lost City (level 3), with ghouls and ghosties on all sides that are too strong for me. I did find an entrance to Karthal Sewers (level 2), but it just lead to an empty, locked room. I've managed to just avoid fighting for a while now, but the fact that I haven't been able to kill anything for a while is starting to make me think I took a wrong turn somewhere.

Edit:
I managed to find a way back to Seahaven, but I still have no idea where I'm supposed to go. Lost City is a maze...
Wait, level 7? You sure you don't mean 17?

Go to lost city level 4 (the entrance is on level 2).

And yes, it is a maze, but you have a map and should turn on spot secret doors and walk on every tile (just like every dungeon).

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Sloober posted:

Foci would benefit the magic part while the melee investment wouldn't, so it doesn't seem like a good idea to invest in melee but maybe other people know better than I.
Expert spears will give you two blocks, which is some considerable survivability. It's not an obvious trade-off.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Is there a quest associated with the Wrecked Ship that I haven't yet found? Or is it a class quest for a character I don't have?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Daler Mehndi posted:

Thanks for the help!

Also, why did I wait this long to train my bladedancer to Expert Sword. With a pair of Expert-level swords, it's like night and day. :stare: I could've used that when finishing act 2. But speaking of swords, comparing the stats between swords seems to be wonky. The game makes it seem like a vastly better sword is 'worse' than the equipped one by showing lower damage in red.
Things seem to be inverted in the comparison tool tip when you dual wield. It actually makes a bit of sense, as otherwise it's not obvious which one to compare it with.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Apoffys posted:

Maybe I'm just not very clever, but I still can't find it... The only exits I can find on Lost City level 4 are to Lost City level 2&3, and to Castle Portmeyron. I've walked on every tile with detect secrets on too.
The water shard is there on level 4. Take it to the elemental forge and unlock water walking.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Around level 18 or so, just after act 2, the game really breaks open. You start being able to do the dangerous cave bosses, you can travel to 2 different and new cities (which are also quest hubs with new skill trainers and spells), and you start being able to tackle your class promotion quests and getting grandmaster skills. Or perhaps that's just when my party hit the upward part of its power curve.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Are all the relics generally best in slot when fully leveled? What about the two handed staff relic vs two one handed magic foci?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Metos posted:

Getting the killing blow awards extra xp. A minimal amount, but I guess it added up.
It's 5%

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 3, 2014

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

DanielSeyar posted:

Ignore all you want, none of the voice actors, marketers, bus boys, masseuses, fluffers or whatever are programmers (unless they actually write code, or "program" as well).
The only games with 4 digit programmers are the open source community projects, and even that might stretch the definition a bit.
Not even. The biggest open source projects (Firefox, Gnome, Wine, etc) have only dozens of active developers, and among them it's rare to have people actually working full time on it.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

-Blackadder- posted:

Yeah, the Naga boss, Mamushi or whatever is giving me some problems. I took four or five runs at him before giving up and doing the thieves den. Now I've completed the thieves den, got another level or so, and some new weapons so I'm hoping he'll go down. I've cleared out pretty much everything else in the area except some kind of lightning casting Ghost things that seem way too strong, and the two dangerous caves. I'm assuming that I need to beat the Naga boss before the next areas open up since there's a bridge blocked with debris and a couple of "blessings of Shalassawhatever" that I need to cross some water and go into what looks like a teleporter. Also some dude telling me I can't see governor without an appointment.
Make sure you actually turn in the naga boss quest to the innkeeper in the first town, otherwise the governor will still be "without appointment" (it's the next place after that, and after that the map opens up a lot more).

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

I, uhh, beat the spider and lost city 3 but haven't yet figured out how to get into Karthal.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

-Blackadder- posted:

Is there a list anywhere on the net of skill tier upgrades and what you get for each point investment? For example something like:

-Mace-
For each point you invest your mace damage is increased by blah blah.
Expert: blah blah
Master: Stun on Crit
GM: blah
Just open a character's skill page and read the tooltips as you hover over the icons.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Fintilgin posted:

Found this hilarious old trailer for the CD version of World of Xeen, and thought some of the rest of you might appreciate it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qa7AF9rs6c
(The fun starts at ~0:20

You spoiled kids with your fancy, big-budget, live-action video game trailers. This is how we rolled back in 1994. :c00l:

haha I love how there are literally clips from the ending cutscene spoiling the game in the trailer.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Apogee15 posted:

On an unrelated note: Anyone notice how Blademaster's Cleave seems to be bugged, in that it not only gives your Blademaster an extra turn when you kill a monster, it gives your whole party an extra turn?
There's a bug where if you kill the last monster in melee range while combat is still active you get an extra turn, ie if you are in melee with a guy in front of you and there's a guy approaching 2 spaces behind you can turn around, shoot a fireball, turn to face the melee, kill him, then turn around and shoot a second fireball before he walks forward.

Are you sure it's not the same bug?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Nakar posted:

So I can no longer save. Everything was working fine before, but I started a new run and now I can't save or enter the well in Sorpigal. I read that save corruption can cause this so I deleted all the saves and started fresh. Still nothing. Deleted Uplay cache data and Steam local files, reinstalled, still nothing. I don't understand why, I had no issues with this before. :(

Did you run out of disk space on C:\ ? The game doesn't save in the same folder as it installs to.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

You should make an effort to purchase +perception items from the shop around midgame so you can temporarily equip them to open troublesome secret doors.

Also: Eagle Eye air spell, Hour of Power from grandmaster might, Hour of Power fountains (+10 all stats). Note that the latter two can be obtained concurrently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, I felt like somewhere in the late teens level wise, gold simply ceased to be an issue. I've got 100,000+ now and I could dump a bunch into potions, but I don't even really need potions anymore, my Druid is so loving good at keeping the party alive.
Buy weapons and armor from the shop, they're often upgrades.

• Locked thread