Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

THE PWNER posted:

good thing the armor has slots for her massive juggs
normal looking armor and clothing were one of the things i actually liked about elder scrolls' aesthetic and they couldn't even keep that in this shitheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Rift is the best WoW clone by a wide margin.

FFXIV is considerably better designed than rift, it only compares negatively in terms of content since it hasn't been out as long.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

gggiiimmmppp posted:

another fun thing about porting morrowind to a modern engine is that it is 1:1 in terms of size with skyrim and oblivion as-is and you can climb on a roof in balmora and see every city on that coast down to Vivec because they're all basically right next to each other, it just seemed big because you have to walk at cripplespeed until you level up athletics and the areas in between make you go around your elbow a lot fighting cliff racers the whole time

i assume by "cripplespeed" you mean normal walking speed instead of jogging constantly like some kind of robot

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Last_Ranger posted:

Imagine if JRR Tolkein and GRRM and a bunch of cliché fantasy authors all got together and wrote a few short stories but never finished them. It's basically that. No midgets though.

jrrt and grrm both have a significantly better command of narrative structure the english language than the people writing elder scrolls, of course so do most D&D and star wars authors.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Don Tacorleone posted:

Hmm, yes, close, now add retarded dialogue and nonsensical physics, characters, story beats and locations, we're getting closer

the npcs in elder scrolls dont really deserve to be called characters in a writing sense tbh

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

steinrokkan posted:

Hey, person I've never met, would you like to marry me?

depends, are you american?

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp
i got into the beta but the patch client disappears and doesnt do anything after i start it

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp
i need to try this and wildstar out so i can decide which is the bigger trainwreck

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp
this is swtor all over again. bland lovely bullshit game selling itsself on branding and having a poo poo ton of voice acting for quests no one cares about. also the view distance is loving awful

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp
also like literally every piece of armor is boob plate which looks so loving stupid especially since my character doesn't have giant tits

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp
the combat in this game is really bad. the try to trick you into thinking its normal elder scrolls combat (which is already a terrible idea lol) but its actually identical to every other mmo except instead of clicking on a monster you just automatically target whatever is in the front of the screen. There's also a block button but it only does anything against specific attacks with a very obvious casting period as far as i can tell.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp
maybe it gets better later but so far FFXIV's combat feels more dynamic than this bullshit and it's an unapologetic EQ clone

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp
its also irritating that if i want to play an elf and my friend wants to play a redguard or w/e then we can't play together at all without someone being forced to pick a species they dont want to play.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Lima posted:

The controls are designed to be console friendly if you know what I mean, but you can lock onto a target with Tab.

im fine with action combat like tera or something but this is a bog standard wow clone trying to pretend it's not

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

if you preorder it online, you're allowed to put your character in whatever alliance you want :D

are you serious? i thought that was just imperials

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp
ive been streaming this on twitch and idk why anyone is still watching

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

ProfessorGroove posted:

I hope I can talk to iconic characters that have question marks over their heads and direct me to kill mudcrabs.

you can! well except they have arrows not question marks

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

how do you turn on names?

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

:goonsay:

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp
I wont be surprised if ESO makes a decent bit of money because its following the modern western MMO strategy exemplified by SWTOR. It's from an established brand and has a lot of half-baked poorly designed features that they can make look good on the back of a box or a game review: Large world, tons of sidequests, "exploration", "deep" skill customization, voice acting, etc. Since every burnt-out WoW player and their mom buys every single new MMO that gets a big retail release, they can make all their development costs back from charging $60-$80 upfront and investors will be happy even if 90% of the player base quits after a month or less.

e: I was going to try streaming this shitheap again but the login queue is an hour. oh well

rainy day fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 9, 2014

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp
OKAY IF ANYONE WANTS TO SEE WHAT THIS PIECE OF poo poo LOOKS LIKE IM STREAMING RIGHT NOW http://www.twitch.tv/anime_irl

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

GOT A EXTRA TITTY posted:

wow you respawn right where you died too

its like a catastrophe of terrible design decisions

tbf i think it requires an item when you're higher level

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp
stream is finished. hope you enjoyed!

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp
there's only so many hours of this bullshit I can take.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

GOOCHY posted:

I actually kind of like it. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. Seems like it could be a good couch MMO for awhile on PS4.

:barf:

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

GOT A EXTRA TITTY posted:

So why was your character so skinny rainy day, that seemed really unlike you

you didnt see my other character

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

The White Dragon posted:

Also unless you mean like when one of your regular players is all "hey I know a guy who wants to play next week" and you're like "yeah sure man the more the merrier" and then he shows up and he's basically a sphere with a beard attached and the night ends when he sharts himself

TMI dude

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Lumpy the Cook posted:

just wanted to reiterate how weird it is that a sub based mmo is coming out in 2014

FFXIV came out last year and has a sub. Wildstar is coming out later this year and has a sub. The only reason f2p has been common lately is that there have been tons of really lovely mmos (like this game) being released and going f2p drastically lowers the bar since it opens the game up to dumb teenagers with no taste. If someone actually makes an MMO that's not a gigantic pile of poo poo they'll probably be able to get away with a subscription model.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

stoutfish posted:

nope because there wouldn't be enough content to keep people playing

They haven't lately but WoW used to have a pretty good rate of content. There will never be enough content to please hardcore poopsockers but parceling out content at a rate that works for semi-serious players who also have lives is doable.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

a game that literally locks you in the first room you spawn in and doesnt let you go anywhere ever

tbf that's a bug that will fixed and also being locked in a room is more fun than actually playing

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp
literally millions of people are going to buy this and insist its actually really great to pretend they don't have buyers remorse before forgetting about it in a week and wondering where that $100 went.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Skyrim wasn't good enough to cover for this game the way Morrowind was good enough to disguise how bad Oblivion was for about 100 hours of playtime.

didn't skyrim sell like, orders of magnitude more than the previous games?

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp
yeah i looked it up skyrim sold 20+ million copies and oblivion sold 3.5 million

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp
the only thing teso got "right" is the quality of the combat. It's not the same system as in the normal games but it's just as lovely!

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp
i bet they blew up morrowind so that in a future game they can have it also be generic british countryside

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

GreatGreen posted:

I think Skyrim was successful not because the marketing campaign was "man fights dragon in snow" but rather "you can be a goddamn Viking. And by the way check out how bitching these trees and mountains look. And you can mod in literally anything. And remember that one time when we made Morrowind."

Either way, teso is poo poo and watching it go down in flames is going to be hilarious.

most of skyrims sales were on consoles so modding was not actually a big selling point. you are seriously underestimating how vacuously stupid gamers are

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp
i like how they call altmer "high elves" 90% of the time because apparently calling them what they're called in every other game is too confusing for their target audience. MMO makers know their audience is dumber than a pile of bricks, that's why this kind of poo poo gets made.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Rapdawg posted:

It is sad because some good fantasy or really any cool fictional world should have some lore that is unclear because all we know about it is hearing things from different people who are all unreliable- The World of Darkness says in the good books that basically if you are running a Vampire game and own all of the Werewolf books that most people should have no idea if they exist and that those who do should get some things right and some things wrong.

I love being in tabletop games where two people tell you different versions of events because that is how people work in the real world and some games do this well also- Bioshock had those audio diaries where people recorded history in their own selfish worldview and that was really cool.

This however is just bullshit and bland.

the actual elderscrolls games had some of this to, retconning cyrodil to be 1400s britain as envisioned by people who've never studied history or been to britain is not one of those examples though.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

goatse.cx posted:

I wanna play this beta, how do I get in on this

it looks like they're still giving away keys at curse but i think the beta ended tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

hailthefish posted:

the best part is that skyrim blew up morrowind so people with good taste would stop clamoring for another game set there, and then did a DLC that was a giant awesome morrowind nostalgiafest right down to using the music.

Now I wanna redownload morrowind.

TESO will be total poo poo and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the death knell for the TES IP

itll be total poo poo but it'll still sell millions of copies

• Locked thread