Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buh
May 17, 2008
Alternate Jesus withdrawn!
Regular Jesus deposited!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buh
May 17, 2008
AAAEEWWWW withdrawn, which I think is a Venonat?

Buh
May 17, 2008
Drowzee deposited!

Buh
May 17, 2008
We're now attempting to trade with nobody

Buh
May 17, 2008
On the plus side, plenty of room in the party now for new mon.

VENONATS WITHDRAWN

Buh
May 17, 2008
page 500 snype

I was pissed that I missed the Zapdos catch by seconds, but this more than makes up for it. So much tension. I can't believe we haven't actually released anything yet.

So our team is now what? Venonat and Rhyhorn?

Buh
May 17, 2008
I'm amazed it took that long; we held onto Psywave for entire HOURS without tossing it.

Buh
May 17, 2008
This thread really needs a title change to reflect the Master Ball/Zapdos thing.

Buh
May 17, 2008
THEY JUST RELESAED CABBAGE

Buh
May 17, 2008
Total carnage: Cabbage (Gloom) Exeggcute, Paras, one of our five Nidoran, and three of our four Venonats. Rest in peace, various iterations of AAAAAAA

Buh
May 17, 2008
So the net result of ten hours of killing everyone is we have the exact same team as before we caught Zapdos? Have I got that right?

Buh
May 17, 2008
Oh poo poo, Dux too?
So what's the contingency plan for having absolutely no cutters?

Buh
May 17, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

I don't think we actually need Cut any more, but tentacools can learn it if we do. We'll be seeing a lot of those.

I'm fairly sure we need it at the end of Diglett's Cave. Gen 1 loving loved Cut trees, even late in the game.

Buh
May 17, 2008

DoctorStrangelove posted:

When I went to bed they were still trying (and failing) to use surf. How'd they get to Cinnabar?

The actual route is 90% just straight down, if you've made it more than a couple paces from the shore you've done the hard part.

Buh
May 17, 2008
We were very lucky that the PC bloodbath happened when it did. We lost every single Pokemon that could possibly learn cut, right after the last time we'd need it.

We have something much more resembling an actual usable team now. Half of the are horribly underlevelled, but at least they have attacks of any kind.

Buh
May 17, 2008
After ten days of endlessly consulting the Helix Fossil, we were never gonna bench the dude after.
I expected more turmoil between use it vs keep it, since we can no longer consult the Fossil in times of trial. At least we still have the Lift Key, and the soothing cry of Bulbasaur.

Buh
May 17, 2008

SWMadness posted:

It and Teleport are the only moves with out-of-battle effects that aren't HMs, if I remember correctly.

Also Softboiled.

So we've somehow gotten trapped in a two tile space between some walls and a trainer. Fortuately there are Pokemon in it so we could eventually get beaten unconcious. Have we tossed our Escape Rope yet?

The irony that Digrat would be our saviour right now

Buh
May 17, 2008

This is either subtle as hell or serendipitous: 'do you have anything to eat' is one of the few things Jesus says on ressurecting at the end of one of the Gospels.

Buh
May 17, 2008
We can never change the team again. There is no scenario where this makes things anything but worse.
I am kinda surprised we never bought a bunch of balls to fling about randomly, though.

Buh
May 17, 2008
Because lol I am trolling the thing which largely consists of trolling itself

Buh
May 17, 2008
There's a poll up for whether we should go hunt TMs, based on the sketchy premise that we would ever do anything other than toss them.
Aren't like 90% of the Gen 1 TMS terrible (lol Egg Bomb)? What's even left that could actually make anything better?

Buh
May 17, 2008
I suspect you missed something with Pidgeot there, and you should absolutely not fix it.

Buh
May 17, 2008
He fixed it with a ninja edit, but Pidgeot still had Charizard attacks. Want to see that stream when they go 'lol Whirlwind' and get a Flamethrower to.the face.

Buh
May 17, 2008
Because of the solo Special stat in Gen 1, beating Rock and Fighting types is essentially a matter of hitting them with any special attack at all. It's not surprising. Weirder is the viability of taking out Brock with Butterfree.

Buh
May 17, 2008
We'd have had a serious shot if the only change was Thundershocking the Gyarados instead of suicide. We'll get there in a few goes for sure.

Buh
May 17, 2008
Exp. All would individually notify you, over multiple lines of text, jpw much stat all six members gained. If my memory of the ten minutes I lasted before ditching it are correct it would have added like fifteen button presses to EVERY POKEMON DEFEATED.

Also you get it by catching 50 pokemon so lol no

Buh
May 17, 2008
So um if it comes down to ATV vs Dragonite again and we manage to paralyse rather than poison it, it will have enough health to survive ALL of our leech lives and will never fight back. Our only option will be to use up all our PP and then struggle.

Because of his worthless moves ATV has ONE HUNDRED total PP. Dragonite's is infinite.

Please let this happen :allears:

Buh
May 17, 2008
My favourite thing about this is how perfectly we have kept pace with 'RNG plays Pokemon'. It is run at 10x speed, but even so.
It's also on eight badges; its Typhlosion has reached level 100 but knows only Strength and Cut; it released its only other Pokemon worth a drat (also an overlevelled Pigeot) and is lugging around a team of level 12 Metapods and such, which it periodically deposits or releases.

Buh
May 17, 2008

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Looking ahead to Gen 2:
Pokemon that are given to you: Togepi, Eevee, Tyrogue, Spearow, Shuckle. The fight over what to do with Eevee is going to be glorious; unfortunately evolution stones are insanely hard to get in Gen 2 and they probably won't get any until the Elite Four is beaten. Oh well

It'll evolve into Espeon or Umbreon by itself eventually, though.

Buh
May 17, 2008

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

With the exception of Whitney and Red, you can basically walk over every single trainer in the game with your starter.

The random number generator stream (which is running Gold) has gotten through eight badges with nothing but Typhlosion, which is currently level 100 and knows only strength and cut.
Pretty much the only way we can irretrievably gently caress this up is to release Feraligatr.

Last game, it was theoretically possible for us to never get Fly or a Fishing Rod, surf to Cinnibar then release all our surfers. There's no equivalent this time - I think there are less truly mandatory uses of HMS, does anyone remember precisely?

Buh
May 17, 2008

Zore posted:

It just holds them.

Shuckle turning berries into berry juice is just a weird thing unique to it that they put into every pokemon game even though nothing else uses the mechanic.

Note that it also got removed after Generation 2 (maybe a little later, but it's been gone for years at any rate).
Now they just have 100% of wild Shuckles hold Berry Juice so you can still get some.

Buh
May 17, 2008
Gah, it's US only, this is why we can't have nice things :'(

Buh fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Mar 8, 2014

Buh
May 17, 2008

Cernunnos posted:

The battles are SUPER SLOW. Ask me about trying to beat Diamond again to move 'Mons up to Gen 6 and burning out every other battle because they take so long.

Like a solid 2 seconds between selecting a move and things actually happening. Platinum shaved it down to maybe a second, HG/SS shaved it down further, and Gen 5 was so fast there's almost no going back. Gen 6 is a bit slower than Gen 5 right now but it's still loads faster than D/P.

Gen 4 also had excessive numbers of notifications, many of them multi-line so you have to press A twice. Entering a double battle with four Intimidates means it takes a solid minute of button-pressing before ANYTHING happens.
Gen 5 fixed this by making all the ones you have no control over anyway just flash up briefly and not require a button press.

Buh
May 17, 2008
Master Balls are for shinies that can suicide. Teleporting Abras, Last Resort Basculin, Selfdestructing Geodudes... I know people who've lost all of these. One who did it twice inside half an hour. THIS WILL NOT BE ME.

But I've got a friend with even worse shiny luck than that. He's encountered three, all in Heart Gold. Two were Unowns. The other was a shiny Pidgey during the early part of the game where you can't have any Poke Balls.

Buh
May 17, 2008

Missingnoleader posted:

You can't be poisoned or paralyzed if safeguard has been used... :getin:

Also, ATV's only attack is Leech Life, which is gonna do 1HP damage to pretty much anyone. It's poison or nothing, paralysis will only slow the inevitable even if it messes ten turns in a row.

Buh
May 17, 2008

Leofish posted:

HG/SS made Feebas one of the guys you can get in the Pokewalker. It's in the course that requires you wear your walker for 2 million steps to unlock.

Or stick it to a pedestal fan for a month in summer. Nintendo trying to make me exercise was a declaration of war, and I was not going to let them win.

Buh
May 17, 2008
Sand Attack also went from Normal to Ground, which doesn't actually change anything as flying types still aren't immune to it.

Buh
May 17, 2008
It's also highly unlikely we'd have an attacking move to cover every type, so even type combos with five weaknesses could be impossible to hit.

Buh
May 17, 2008

MegaZeroX posted:

And now M4's top left move is rock smash. With a base power of 20, I believe it is the worst attacking move in gen 3.

Constrict has 10, as does the first hit of Fury Cutter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buh
May 17, 2008

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Maybe it'll be one input controlling both games.

They ran into a shiny Paras while playing Crystal, I think.

It was a Parasect. We ran away. :japan:

• Locked thread