Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Does anyone have a recommendation to farm up some boss assists for Sunlight Medals on New Game quite early on, I'm currently waiting at the Pursuer to help out there but they're not very quick.

I may or may not have slaughtered a phantom by mistake with the catapult last time out too. Woops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Moskau posted:

Have you already joined the sunbro covenant? You won't get Sunlight Medals until then even if you get summoned (unless the other summon is a sunbro, which is unlikely at that point).

Yeah, I'm a sunbro.

Boxn posted:

Last Giant, Pursuer, Ruin Sentinels, and Flexile Sentry.

Thanks. I haven't done the Ruin Sentinels myself yet so I'll stay away, but I may take a trip over to the Flexile Sentry in a little while. Thanks to both of you.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jimbot posted:

When you use incense to lower the requirements for a spell, does it screw up the damage or stat scaling it gets at all or is it just a nice, consequence free way of using spells without putting a ton of points in that stat?

You're going to be doing less than the "default" damage for the spell because you aren't getting as much damage from the scaling on your stats as you would usually be. It's consequence free in the sense that if you lower a spell from 15 faith to 10 faith, but eventually end up with 15 faith later on, you'd be doing the "default" damage that the spell would do if it still required 15 faith. If that makes sense.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It'll take a while to change how the lighting works in the game, but the remaining screenshots on Steam still look much more clear, and at 1080/60 or higher if you have the gear for it, the game will look absolutely fine despite it not being as good as what they showed a couple of months back. It's disappointing that a downgrade has happened, but I'm not at all worried that it'll look bad.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FauxGateau posted:

Not gonna lie that sounds kinda useful for testing out different pvp builds.

The general justification and reasoning for doing it is so that players can PVP to their hearts content, with the build they want, without having to do single player if they dislike that part of the game. I don't disagree with that approach, but it's less innocent to me when you're using a character who is unnaturally geared to the gills on unsuspecting players who are just playing they way they like to play.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I just battled my way through to the Undead Purgatory through those tall guys who attack fast with hard hitting weapons, only to be greeted by that Black Phantom with a huge sword who murdered the hell out of me.

I think I'll leave that place alone for a while.
That's actually the first time with DaS II that's given me the vibes I got from playing Demon's for the first time way back when it came out. :allears:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

turtlecrunch posted:

If you run past those guys (you may have to roll through the last two) and out onto the bridge, then jump from the bridge to the ledge right before the phantom, they will all fall off the bridge and you don't have to worry about them at all. You can run all the way from the start of the level to the boss gate this way (just watch the sickle fatty's charge so he doesn't trap you at that first crossing). As for the phantom he has a very short aggro distance so you can run in, hit as much as you want, then back down the bridge for a sippy.

Not that I have ever used or perfected any of these scrubby tactics I always fight every single one of those guys like a real hero would. :colbert:

I'll try it the next time I'm feeling like going down that neck of the woods. (No pun intended) Doing things at my own pace and exploring is half the fun for me, so I don't have a burning need to avenge myself.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Why won't these drat Alonne captains drop their armour piece. I don't want your gauntlets, dudes, just those sweet pauldrons. :negative:

e: There is no force on earth more powerful than a nice whinge and moan because I got one next kill. Yay!

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Mar 31, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kanos posted:

On the flip side, I extincted every Alonne Captain in Iron Keep on my most recent character and ended up with 7 chestpieces and 9 helms but not a single greatbow. :darksouls:

Incidentally if I had to make a single change in the game I'd remove extinction as a mechanic. Sometimes I just want to farm silly fashion sets without putting an area into NG+7. :smith:

I didn't manage to get one of those either, but I'm not much of a bow user thankfully so I'm not going to let that bug me too much for now.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I was about to beat the Smelter Demon and I got glitched in terrain and splattered.

What an incredibly un-enjoyable fight as a melee character.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Worldwide Panther posted:

Really? I found it really fun, if you just dodge everything. His attacks have pretty huge tells to them, and it's hard to mistake one for another.

It's true enough, but it compounds the problem because you get caught on him sometimes while you dodge him. Just bleh. I might use the short cut and just steam roll him when I'm in god gear later on.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

The Nexus is still the best hub in all three souls games though. I don't really mind Majula but it's not doing anything special for me like the Nexus does.

The Nexus might be the best hub in any game. Majula isn't bad, and the Emerald Herald is OK too, but nothing will beat The Nexus' music and the Maiden in Black's awesome VA. The Firelink Shrine is probably the DaS 1 hub, but it's just different really.

E: I also agree with the general sentiment here that The Nexus wouldn't work in either of the DaS games, and that it's best left to Demon's.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

People say post Anar Londo areas in Dark Souls were bad, but they actually mean (the skippable) lost izalith and for some people the second half of tomb of giants. Painted world, ash lake / hollow, duke's archives, new londo (though some people dislike the ghosts I guess??) and upper forest are all decent to great.

Izalith and New Londo demonstrate really how having good enemies, or good gimmicks in the area can be the difference between the area being exceptional or mediocre at best. The Dinosaur butts at release were beyond terrible and made that area a real chore. The ghosts only being able to be killed if you're cursed or using their weapons was lame because it's too much of an external factor. They dropped Transient Curses too infrequently too. I don't recall if that drop rate was ever buffed. New Londo's latter half is pretty cool because Darkwraiths were fun to fight, and Izalith's latter half was dull because there weren't any interesting enemies. Izalith looks awesome, but could have been awesome to play with a good enemy set.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I had the geometry glitch out on me 3 fights in a row yesterday at the Smelter Demon. It's quite grating when you have to deal with the uncertainty of that as well as the boss itself.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ratios and Tendency posted:

You can fit a flame swathe in between a parry and a riposte. :I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLI0ZiL8uII

I don't know what's the worst thing about this video. The face cam or the smug satisfaction and gloating from the guy on said cam after beating a dude with something which is clearly OP as hell.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Freak Magnet posted:

This may seem odd, but has anyone else noticed that the XBOX360 version doesn't have any reverb/environmental sound effects, whereas the PS3 version does?

The PC version of Dark Souls 1 had some weird sound bugs where a bunch of ambient effects didn't play for some reason under some stereo set-up circumstances. I wouldn't put it past From to have simply messed up and not realise it was bugged.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

God-damnit, Lucatiel. You have a shield, why don't you use it?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Are there any known good break points for Adaptability yet or is it purely a case of personal taste? I'm just wondering if I should bump it up to 15 from 10 to see if I get any appreciable returns or if I would be best served getting attunement up to get some more spell slots or something.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Raizor posted:

I don't know the ADP numbers, but having your agility end between 100-110 is a good place to be, so I suppose get whatever puts you there if you want to roll better, be it through attunement or adaptability, though the later boosts it faster if you want quicker AGI gains for fewer souls.

Okay, thanks dude.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Blighttown was a well laid out area but suffered for the frame-rate. I haven't been to the gutter yet, but I hate the Valley of Defilement. Not because it's bad, but because it's so drat good. It's dank, dreary, atmospheric as hell and kind of hard and I'm always dreading having to go back through it. It felt to me like Blighttown was trying to one up the VoD, but failed at it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Blighttown slow down is a result of something hard-coded into the engine. My PC version has some slowdown when I look across Blighttown to the great hollow from the entrance of Quelaag's cave and it's not because my PC isn't good enough to render that at 60fps. It also drops to like 15 fps when the bonfire fog appears when you sit down.

Blighttown frame drops were manageable in singleplayer on PS3, but in multiplayer they sometimes slowed the game to single digit slideshow levels and that made playing the game very difficult.

The first Dark Souls didn't have an unlocked framerate like Dark Souls II does, and the Durante guy said that it's possible that the game could be modded to run at 120fps and stuff if it's not a stock option. You can clearly see it's the case with this one when you're stuck in a tunnel with the camera up really close.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tgent posted:

Is someone who knows something about game development able to shine some light on how this sort of thing might happen? Might they perhaps have had technical difficulties with getting the lighting engine working properly in all the areas? Or just decided that it wasn't worth the cost to have that quality of graphics throughout the game since only PC players would be able to see it.

Doesn't really bother me since I think the game looks pretty great anyway, but it'd be interesting to know.

It doesn't necessarily explain why the lighting changes are gone on the PC version, considering it's theoretically a different build to the consoles and shouldn't be bound to the limitations of the last gen consoles like Dark Souls II is, however From Software released a statement about the backlash when it reached high level press awareness.

They basically said that the lighting engine is gone simply because the game would run at an unplayable and inconsistent framerate on consoles. The framerate being so variable on the console versions we have is as good proof as any that the cut was a good choice for consoles.

I imagine that the PC verision will either have a form of that lighting engine, or it will be simply up-res'd so that the development team could focus on porting it to the PC and not have it be a terrible port while working with existing assets and not a separate set for PC. That said, there's no reason that they couldn't keep the original showing quality for PC. It's worth noting that Dark Souls 1 at 1920x1080 and above rendering resolution still looks absolutely sublime and Dark Souls 2 will benefit from that as well.

e: As a thought, it may have been causing some kind of memory leak that they had no time to fix in any real capacity so they just thought gently caress it.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 2, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tracula posted:

How long did it take someone to fix Dark Souls on PC? 18 minutes after release? I could see something similar happening with DS2

The lighting issue that is causing the grievance here is a whole different kettle of fish and the kind of thing that would take quite a bit longer to fix. I say this as a dumb rear end who could never do anything like this myself and as such am probably wrong in terms of strict details, but Dark Souls' problem was fixed by basically intercepting the renderer and telling it to do X instead of Y by a guy who does that kind of thing in a professional capacity.
Changing the lighting engine is going to take a lot more effort and is changing integral elements of the game. That being said if people care enough, I'm sure that they will be able to get something sorted and pretty promptly. I just wouldn't expect it within a hour or two of release because the problems aren't the same at all.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

5-2's quality isn't so much its mostly flat environment as what it does with it. Less is more sometimes.
When you go into that swamp and you realise that your movement is basically gone, you start hoping that it's the same for the enemies.
When you realise it's not, you crap your pants and pray that you can somehow survive it, so when you don't you have to figure out how to fight the enemies on equal terms. It's as if the level itself is a puzzle. A dull level in strict design terms can be magnificent if the game-play decisions back it up and 5-2's do.

An example of that approach done poorly within the Souls series is the sludgy pits at the bottom of Sen's Fortress with the Titanite Demons. Those fights are just unimaginative and are solved by using the rusted iron ring.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 2, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

NotAnArtist posted:

I've never seen his summon, only heard people talk about this npc

Edit: the dragonrider is a putz. I've never had an issue with him as a caster or as my tanky knight, and I'm a pretty mediocre player. I had a player kite me from my sig for the old dragonslayer fight to dragonrider's arena :psyduck:

Jester Thomas is like the guys who used Pyromancies with an Ascended Pyro +5 at DkS 1 release but instead of invading you and hammering you for daring to face them, he just kills his boss like it's a regular hollow.

He's like Tarkus but reliable.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

kick_the_penguin posted:

How do you infuse weapons? I've got a load of Poison Stones that I want to use but I can't work out how to actually infuse them.

Get the Dull Ember from Iron Keep. Give it to the smith at McDuff's in Bastille. If he doesn't move from the chest, light the sconce in his room.

e: The dull ember is on that dodgy looking jump you can get from if you run opposite the Smelter Demon's boss room.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 2, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Demon's definitely does play the worst, but that's also to be expected when it's all but the first of its kind of game, from these guys anyway.
There'd be something wrong if it wasn't the case.

The three games have all done a really good job of being identifiable gameplay wise but with enough difference and variation to the gameplay to make them feel like new games too, and I don't think that can be overstated enough when it comes to how good that is. Too many sequels just rely on placing the same kind of gameplay into the next entry with a few changes, but it feels like a lot of effort goes into making each new Souls game different.

FrickenMoron posted:

The atmosphere just can't be beaten, the enemy and world design is just so interesting and even the sound design seems to be better than both dark souls games. Just think of the Nexus and all the characters in it, or the Tower of Latria.

I still struggle to not fall in love with the Maiden in Black when she talks. She's just so nice. :allears:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

:getin:

The Watcher/Defender swords are actually super powerful with int/faith builds and infusions.

Whoever did that is the worst person ever.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I wish git gud and its variations would have stayed on /v/.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I just died to the Rat Vanguard boss seconds before I could end it. I noticed I lost a huge chunk of health instead of the regular amount. Is this a punishment for dying by petrification instead of regular death?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I saw a bunch of screens from /vg/'s Dark Souls thread suggesting that tip is not true, sadly.

I've spoilered it so that people don't just read it and assume that it's a closed case, though because I can't confirm or deny personally.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's really poo poo that Mega Mule fucks your Soul Memory and that SM is the only qualifier for online play. You can just eat a death and get rid of your souls, but seeing as that locks you out of online play with your peers, the SM thing is so bad.

Maybe From should just make it so souls gained from invasion don't get added to your total until they can figure out a better fix.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Are Titanite chunks the least common thing a Gyrm can drop or am I getting kind of unlucky? I'm swimming in Old Mundane Stones though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lotish posted:

The soul memory boundaries on co-oping seem really generous, at least in my experience.

I'm at 1.1 million on NG and I can still get some hits at Smelly D, so there definitely is.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The only rat bro experience I had was a terribly laggy mess in waist high water and I still almost won until I got lag hit. I like a bit of Souls PVP, but in all three games, I can count on one hand the times I've had a not laggy fight. I'd never dedicate my entire gameplay to doing PVP.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Does anyone know why I'm not seeing the event with Pate and Creighton in Tseldora?

I've exhausted both dialogue trees, they're not at their last locations before this event and I summoned Pate and successfully kept him alive in Last Giant and I didn't kill either of them beforehand so I don't quite get it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, I did. I did that again on my way back to check because I forgot how to get to him originally in fact.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tracula posted:

Head ahead therefore head ahead.

Sounds more like something you'd see in-front of the Emerald Herald.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Flytrap posted:

Jeez, I keep trying to play a mage in these games but every time I run into the same problem: spellcasting so so loving boring.

The single game in all my years that made magic fun was Kingdoms of Amalur, because you're not just sitting on then other side of the arena going all "hey look at me, I'm Harry fuckin' Potter!" You're actually getting in there and play the goddamn game! I was so excited when I saw the magic sword thing from the previews because I thought magic was going to be more dynamic, but no, there's only one copy of that spell in a game and it has so few uses.

Try Dragon's Dogma. Spell casting in that is amazing and feels visceral as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

BottledBodhisvata posted:

PVP is flat up broken though you, these weird ghost blade distances and laggy backstab bullshit can just gently caress off and be patched away at From's earliest possible convenience.

It's been 3 games, I'm thinking earliest possible convenience is sometime between the end of the world and the heat death of the universe.

• Locked thread