Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

straight jerkers posted:

@RatHat from the last thread, Brad from Giant Bomb getting parried by Garl Vinland is at 1:36 in this. You have to be a subscriber to watch it.

Here's a gif if minus is working for you

Did the actual parry get clipped out of the gif or something? I'm not seeing it... just him staggering and getting hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

About to go pick up the PS3 version and play for a few hours tonight. I'm ericiidx on PSN. If you invade me get hosed.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Goin to sleep! Too tired to play all night like I was hoping to.

Do the controls feel... off to anyone else? I've turned the camera sensitivity down to 0 (I'm used to ~70% in Dark Souls) and it still feels too twitchy. Character movement feels like it has too much of a deadzone or something. This is going to take some getting used to, unfortunately. This new engine is making it feel like a different game franchise!

Oh wow suddenly I'm not tired anymore and want to play more. Tomorrow is going to suck.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm just about ready to eat crow with the whole "who needs a shield I'm playing a swordsman I ain't no bitch"

The enemy AI is... Not necessarily better or worse, but definitely smarter and more accurate. You aren't going to be circle strafing for backstabs as easily this time... I keep dying to the most basic of mobs, and quickly.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Willias posted:

So first thing to do upon getting Dark Souls 2? Run around and kill all of the giant hippo looking fuckers in Things Betwixt. The first one I killed dropped a Stone Ring that negates some of my target's poise when attacking them.

And then I went to the Forest of Giants and got wrecked by basic hollows. Is it just me, or is this game way harder than Demon's Souls or Dark Souls?

I agree, it definitely starts out harder, if only because those basic enemies do a shitload of damage per hit compared to the Undead Burg equivalent. Recovery time is also much more harsh (for now? Pretty sure Agility improves that?)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The Crusher posted:

I've been killing myself repeated in Heide's Tower of Flame. Is there another location I can go to? I have yet to find one.

Yeah there is, definitely don't go there as your first destination. Look for a lit sconce by the Majula bonfire, and go that way first.

I don't even know where I am now... I'm just plowing into boss fights. Not through them, but into them. The token first boss was a one-shot ordeal, and then it got a fair bit harder, because I'm being anal about being shield-free.

Hardest thing so far? The stupid undead polearm faggots that come 2-3 at a time. Not one strategy for an anti-shield swordsman, outside of "wait 2-3 minutes for their attacks to synchronize and get in the opening"

goldjas posted:

So am I supposed to go to the Lost Bastille after the Forest of Fallen Giants? Because I don't seem to stand much chance against the enemies here...

Yeah, you totally can. That's where I ended up, and it's not bad. You just don't want to get hit, is all.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Shock Trooper posted:

Welp, I've made the mistake of going down a very arduous path.

Please tell me it's possible to leave this at some point.

Go talk to the cat in the house (by the well/pit) in Majula, she is the Oswald of Dark Souls 2 it seems, and will let you leave a covenant.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Have you not yet fought an early-game boss whose name begins with P? If not, skip this. Otherwise, you'll probably get a kick out of this, or possibly kick yourself.

As a shield-free Swordsman, The Pursuer was the first boss to give me any real trouble. I one-shotted The Last Giant, no problem. I got this. The combination of ~50% max HP and no shield made precision a necessity, and I was still working with the stock weapons (Scimitar +1 and Shortsword +1,) doing 50 damage a hit. It took me around 20 attempts, over an hour. Only after killing him did I notice the TWO MASSIVE USABLE BALLISTAS in the battle stage.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Hal Incandenza posted:

So if I killed (Forest Spoiler) Cale and never got his key and therefore can't ever access the mansion in Majula am I locked out of anything besides loot? Should I start over?

There are two things of note in that mansion, but probably nothing too crucial: a "map" of Drangleic arranged on the floor out of ash, with some sort of realtime flames/bonfires showing up in certain areas for reasons I don't know yet, and the Soul Vessel, which seems to be the respec item. If you don't mind making another character in the future a la Dark Souls, this probably isn't that big of a deal.

Anyone else getting laggy sound, laggy dialogue, laggy menus on occasion? I'm starting to hate it, especially the sound, as it can really gently caress up my groove to think I whiffed an enemy when I really hit it, or when approaching footsteps start playing a full second too late. I suspect it may be my PS3's hard drive, but I'm really hoping it's a common thing that will be addressed by From if at all possible.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Lemonpieman posted:

Alright, am I missing something important or can you just not heal during blue/red invasions. This seems kind of bad.

Sounds like you got a Lloyd's Talisman dropped on you (prevents Estus [and maybe Lifegem now?] healing for a limited time.) I've been invaded exactly once, and was able to heal. BUT DON'T TELL ANYONE I HEALED DURING AN INVASION YOU loving FA

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ugh, I'm getting into a tough spot. I figure I'm about halfway through the game, and I haven't found a weapon to replace my upgraded starting weapons (Swordsman; Shortsword +3 and Scimitar +6.) I've taken to just 2-handing the Scimitar because dual wielding isn't as fun as I thought it'd be, and I still can't be hosed to level up another Scimitar to try power stance for the first time. Come to think of it, I did pick up another one... But yeah, the loving Scimitar is breaking before I can even reach the boss of an area.

Anyway, I'm at 10 STR 25+ DEX right now, with 12 areas accessible/cleared. Anyone know of any good, fast, DEX weapons? Basically I guess I'm trying to ask, where da katanas at?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

A.C. posted:

I'm still looking for the Katana (Berserker Blade) but there is some kind of special rapier-type weapon named something like "Black Scorpion Stinger" that can be found shortly after the boss of Shaded Ruins. I can't tell you much about it because I'm a STR guy but it looks like a scorpion stinger that you're holding like a rapier and seems to have a good thrust R1 that can probably poke from behind shield.

Nice, thanks! That should be coming up soon, then. I ventured into there once, and after about 20 minutes, found myself back at the entrance.

There's also some unique katana called Manslayer somewhere in the game that sounds incredible, but maybe not. The loading screen tooltip basically says it applies bleed AND poison, but also mentions the blade being worn down, so either it does crap physical damage or has low durability. Probably a designated PVP katana.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I think the level design in this game is starting to approach Demon's Souls levels of infuriating. The only thing that would make me rage any harder would be Tower of Latria II, and I've still got plenty of time left for that to happen

All this talk of ancient history and lore, I wanna go home to Lordran :-(

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Radish posted:

Sorry but I really don't "get" weapons in this game. I'm using stuff that says it scales with strength like the bastard sword but it does less damage than the mace. Both don't seem to do much damage even after I upgrade my strength stat. Does the damage cap out until after I start upgrading weapons? I'm paranoid about wasting shards on stuff just to test since it doesn't seem like there's any of them at least until I get the flame for the blacksmith.

Also are there any negatives to just upgrading the broad sword or will I be screwing myself when I get something better? I'm pretty early in the game (just after the last giant.)

Just start upgrading whatever weapon you like the moveset of, the damage will come. It's way too early to start minmaxing. I upgraded my starting weapon to +10 (partially because I couldn't find fuckall to replace it) and now it slays. It outperforms the two upgraded boss weapons I've tried so far; I'm still using it near the end of the game.

It makes sense that a large sword would outdamage a mace, but what type of enemy did you test it on? Anything with hard/rock-looking/metal-looking skin is probably resilient to blades.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Soma Soma Soma posted:

Endgame:

Where is the key to the locked door in Aldia's Keep? I cleared the hall and all the side rooms and never found one. I also pulled some lever on the bottom floor that unleashed an NPC that just says he will track me down slowly, across the whole world, and assassinate me.

In that large hallway with the locked door, (as if you're going through it for the first time,) go through the first door on your left and down the stairs to the jail cell full of gear-breaking gas/sludge/whatever. Kill the two enemies in there, take off all your clothes, back that thing up, and get the key (it's one of the items in the cell.)

Comrade Flynn posted:

Iron Keep...where the hell is the bonfire? I didn't see a single one from the medusa lady all the way to lowering the bridge and what looked like a boss door?

right after the boss! OWNED! Wait, did you get the one at the entrance to Iron Keep? Instead of crossing the bridge over the lava, take the stairs down to the left.

enojy fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 15, 2014

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

inthesto posted:

Okay, can somebody tell me how to get to (spoilers on THE WORST ZONE EVER MADE) Black Gulch quickly? I don't have time to firebomb a hundred loving statues, not to mention the fact that I can't sprint past those worms, every time I die to the boss.

Use some sort of stabbing/long range weapon, like a whip maybe, to break the statues without having to get too close to them. I mean, that's the best way I had available to me. That zone just sucks a dick no matter which way you slice it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The fog door you suspected was a boss. It's on the other side of the lowered bridge; it's the Smelter Demon. However, as long as you have the Iron Keep's first bonfire (right before the entrance bridge,) it's not a bad run back if you die the first time.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I didn't find it until after beating the boss, and I was so pissed. I could have saved so much time and effort if I had only known about it.

Son of a bitch.

That boss only took me like 3 tries, but I probably spent 2 hours or more in the zone.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Soma Soma Soma posted:

Oh, I had that key. I was referring to the door with chains across it, which I guess has no key because while I was fighting a giant he smashed the door down.

Oh! Haha, I got to that point, nope'd it to the fog gate and... I'm done playing for the night. Pretty sure I missed a bonfire somewhere in there.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So without much in spoilers, can somebody explain this Bell covenant for me? I get that it's kind of like the Cat covenant from DS1? I've invaded a few people and just fuckin' murdered them like little bitches, but I've only got some chunks out of it, and I can't see any level up feature from the...uh...the covenant giver.

I don't know what its rewards are, if any, but yeah, it's just a "you in the wrong neighborhood" PVP covenant with two zones now instead of one.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Teenage Fansub posted:

How do you +1 flasks? Not add flasks, but get the + strengthening.

There's an item you'll come across, Sublime Bone Dust (I think) that is burned at a bonfire to +1 it. I found 5 in my first playthrough; there may be more, I probably missed some stuff.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I do believe that the Sin boss has a shorter lock-on range as part of the fight's gimmick.

Yea, you're probably right. I attributed it to the fact that it's nearly pitch black in there, and lock-on distance has always correlated with how far you could see.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Previous Jesus posted:

Note: doing this permanently sets the difficulty of the area to NG+, as far as I can tell.

It does, and it carries over into NG+, NG++, etc etc. You've been warned!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Alabaster White posted:

Anyone else think this game is way too easy? Even playing as a Deprived w/ Bonfire Ascetic in the Champion covenant, it's such a cakewalk apart from bosses.

I did find the bosses easier overall, when compared to Dark Souls 1. I don't think the game was way too easy, though. I died 155 times in total to beat the game. The boss that gave me the most trouble was probably Royal Rat Authority, which took me maybe 10 quick tries, thanks to there being a bonfire right in front of the fog gate. Then, I find out the boss is totally optional.

Speaking of optional bosses, there are more out there, some really well-hidden, and they are harder than all of the mandatory bosses. Progression-wise, though, I one-shotted half the bosses, and only needed try the rest two or three times.

guppy posted:

I'm actually early on in Heide's now. Anyone got tips for the 2 handed sword guys as a melee character? Best strategy I've found so far is to be very choosy about which attacks I respond to, only attacking after a horizontal swing or a three-swing flurry, but I still die most of the time. I always lure them to somewhere less dicey than the narrow bridge but it's still touch and go Currently the score is me 5, them a jillion.

Tips for fighting more than one 1h guy at a time would be welcome too. One at a time is easy peasy if you don't get greedy, but with two it's hard to find time to get a safe hit in. Once one of them turned around and walked away and I could just kill them one at a time at my leisure, but the rest of the time I've had to deal with both.

I'm playing as a Warrior, with a Fire Longsword and a Spear.

For the 2 handed sword guys, just circle around their feet and bait their attacks. The overhead bash can just be strafed out of. If it's a slow bash, that's all they do, and you can attack once or twice. If it's a quick bash, strafing still works, but another quick bash and then horizontal slash is coming, which can either be rolled under (higher ADP) or backstepped away from due to short range. They can also start with a horizontal slash, be ready to roll under that.

For the more than one 1h guy at a time you're hosed, try splitting them up by running around a lot. Two at a time is just way more trouble than it's worth.

enojy fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 16, 2014

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Alan Smithee posted:

Question about Hex land or whatever the gently caress this place is called (im not about to use a bonfire to find out), there's a lion witchdoctor dude by the bonfire and I have the option of using a yore branch does he have anything worthwhile? There was another guy who was blocking a path to a chest but he was an otherwise regular dude

The first guy goes hostile, and drops the Fang Key, which is used to free a blacksmith that crafts some boss soul weapons a little later in the zone.

However, the second guy is guarding a chest that contains the lion witchdoctor dude set and another fragrant branch of yore, so you should probably de-petrify him first.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I was just plowing through NG+, having a good old time, until I got to The Lost Sinner. Yeah gently caress this poo poo. If you had any trouble with this boss the first time around, you're gonna hate what they've done with the NG+ version. It's no good.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Sultan Tarquin posted:

So what's the Dragleic Castle gimmick? I swear if there's a ruin sentinel behind all these doors I'm going to flip the gently caress out. I activated the 2 golems at the far end of the room and now nothing happened.

I know "LOL" gets tossed around quite a bit all willy-nilly on the net but I did just laugh out loud, because you nailed it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Smornstein posted:

So i pulled this lever at the start of Aldia's Keep at nothing happened and i'm terrified.

What you did was open the fog gate that served as a jail cell on the opposite balcony of that floor, containing Royal Sorcerer Navaad or whoever. He is essentially the Mephistopheles of Dark Souls 2; talking to him while hollow will initiate NPC kill requests, because he hates humans. Talking to him while human will make him hate you because you're human, and cause you to get invaded by him in like SIX OR SEVEN loving AREAS!!! I think you're doomed to get invaded no matter what, though, since you opened his fog gate with the lever.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Does anyone in NG+ know how to get the (big fuken spoiler)Catarina set? I killed he-who-shall-not-be-named's Black Phantom but he didn't drop anything, and he doesn't respawn. Is it just a chance to drop from him, or are there more of him somewhere besides the Forest of Fallen Giants?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Lotish posted:

Quick question. I've been sunbroing on Smelter Demon for a while now, and I've noticed that, not every, but nearly every body who summons me is wearing the same armor set with a dog head looking helmet. What is that and where are they getting it? And why are 80% of hosts wearing it?

That's the Vengarl helm, and lots of people are wearing it because he just straight up gives it to you when you find and talk to him, and it's really good.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I think I discovered a cool bug/game-breaking mechanic, although it's really pretty minor. It has to do with an item set you can buy from Maughlin, the vendor in the small house in Mejula, once you spend at least 16,000 souls on him. According to the strategy guide, you're not supposed to be able to buy all of it until NG+4, but if you burn Bonfire Ascetics in Mejula, it emulates that status, allowing you to buy the whole set.

The set is loosely themed after the Moonlight Butterfly. Effects include poisoning nearby foes and lengthening your jump (which is really just more of a useless float,) turns your roll into a leap, provides very little actual armor, and looks absolutely ridiculous.

Also, if you come to him with exactly 0 souls on your person after spending 16,000, he gifts you the Arduous set, each piece of which raises your equipment load (even better than that of the Lost Sinner helm.) Expect pieces of this set to come into play with minmaxing sooner or later. It also looks ridiculous (it's like 90% transparent.) The flavor text is funny, though; something like "supposedly can't be seen by cowards. What do your eyes tell you?" I don't know if this has anything to do with any sort of status (human/hollowed/sinner/etc.)

enojy fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 17, 2014

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

There is one waste of a branch that comes to mind; the lionbro blocking the path to Manscorpion Tark, and that's only because you can get to that area around the back. Every other petrified NPC I've come across is good for something.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

CodfishCartographer posted:

Also goddamn found out the hard way if you use a bonfire ascetic in an area, you gotta fight the boss over again. Dunno how the fck I'll beat Royal Rat Authority on NG+, since I barely beat him normally. If you keep burning Ascetics, will it keep raising the NG+ level?

That's an optional boss, so you're not too boned. However, burning Bonfire Ascetics is truly permanent, as it carries over into NG+ and beyond. All of your current bonfires, at level X, will be X+1 in NG+. Be careful where you use them!

AzureRequiem posted:

Well yay, I beat not-Garl Vinland, let's see what I've got waiting as my rewar-...

What the gently caress is that big thing what :ohdear:

Wait...is...is that Vendrick?

Go talk to the dude from the Soul Reaver series again to find out!! Or just hit him idk whatever floats your boat. For whatever reason, the music kicking in after that boss, that was probably the coolest part of the game to me.

enojy fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 17, 2014

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

WalrusWhiskers posted:

So like many other people, I don't know where the gently caress to go. I need a nudge in the right direction.
I've done spider boss, the sinner and the gross guy at the bottom of the well. Where do I go from here?

This sounds a lot like where I got stuck, and I don't blame you, because it's sort of poor implementation. Remember that contraption which did nothing on the way to Heide's Tower of Flame? That one from like 30 hours ago? Head back to that.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Torquemadras posted:

Well, goddammit. Here I go, exploring the poo poo out of Iron Keep. I stay away from the fog gate leading to Smelter Demon because I want to explore elsewhere. I end up at a big room with lots of turtle knights; so I decide to save that for later, and fight Smelter Demon first.

It's a tough fight, but Lightning Spear saves the day! That boss fight seems to be designed to punish melee characters. So, I'm as happy as you can get, I proceed through the next door...

...and there is the loving turtle knight room! What the hell, game! The most difficult fight of the game so far, and it's entirely OPTIONAL! :mad: Now I feel silly for going to all that trouble...

You can now at least go back to the Smelter Demon room for a cool twist. Maybe pee your pants a lil bit. It's also worth it to unlock that bonfire right there.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I don't understand how, but I progressed through the second half of the game about 10 levels higher than I should've been. I didn't farm souls a single time, and only spent one boss soul in the very beginning (The Last Giant) because the difficulty in the beginning of the game is tuned really lovely. I think I beat the game at level ~135. Felt really weird, considering most of my Dark Souls 1 playthroughs were completed between 60 and 70.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Lord Ephraim posted:

Do I have to fight the giant zombie king in the Undead Crypt. He was just minding his own business when I decides to whack him a few times. Then he got pissed then proceed to kill me in one hit.

I left over 200,000 souls when I died. I don't know if I'm ready to get them back. :(

That's Vendrick and he's optional. Even after you've engaged him and turned his area into a boss room, as long as you grabbed the key item in there first, you don't need to go back. Another crucial tip regarding that guy... reading is up to you... You really can't do anything to him, feasibly, unless you have at least 3 Souls of a Giant in your inventory. Each soul you have decreases his defense by some amount, and you do piddly poo poo damage with 2 or fewer. 3 of the 4 (or more?) you can obtain in one playthrough can't be obtained until near the very end of the game. The fourth is obtained in a very well-hidden area in Black Gulch.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Thumbtacks posted:

I found that area by accident and I still don't know how I did it. Black gulch is terrifying.

Not a chance in hell I would've ever found it if I hadn't had my roommate next to me flooding me with tips/spoilers from the strategy guide. Of course, my main interest was joining the Pilgrims of Dark covenant. I even pumped my brightness all the way up and couldn't see poo poo. I imagine things would've been different if I had come across a player message placed down there, though.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

A.C. posted:

So, uhh, I just found out how to trivialize the Poison fog areas in Harvest Valley.

Lifegems! It turns out if you use two lifegems back-to-back, instead of the second overwriting the first like it would an Estus, it stacks and heals faster. Just one Lifegem will almost completely nullify the poison's damage, two will heal you through it. Since you can buy them infinitely for 300 souls each at the Backpack Merchant this means you never have to deal with this poison's bullshit again and can explore those areas at your leisure.

I think that was how I beat Mytha the first time around, because I didn't know how to drain the room. I just brute forced it. I just figured that was how it was supposed to be done. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Stux posted:

I thought there was two because I swear I killed one then ran away scared and came back later to kill another haha. But either way, that skeleton needs to die apparently before he'll move back in. Hence the whole talk about noises in his basement.

Depending on what NG (or bonfire intensity for Majula) you are on, there are that many skeletons in the basement.

• Locked thread