Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluo
May 25, 2007

Why is Robert Webb and Russell Brand in the monster list? Is it a parody of this thread or something because Brand said not to vote and Webb said to vote?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I think it's because Brand is a pervert and Webb is a libertarian? The Brand thing is definitely to do with the way he treats women.

He votes Labour, unless I don't understand what a libertarian, he isn't a libertarian.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Fans posted:

It's more some people being pissed off that people vaping seem like they're getting around the smoking in public ban. Which they are, but it's a stupid reason to ban them as well.
Let them be pissed off. It's not smoke anyway, I don't see them getting mad at people using nicotine gum in pubs. It's a form of quitting smoking, the gum gives a lot of people acidy stomachs / acid reflux. The patches hard annoying, dont feel like they're working and doesn't give that zap you kind of looking for to help quit. Lozenges are the second best to e-cigs if you can put up with the chalkyness but part of the habit of keeping your hands busy. So its best to get off nicotine first then deal with your hand problems. Nasal spray is the worst in public as it seems like you're doing poppers or something.

If anyone think people move from real tobacco to ecigs as some kind of smug loophole to being able to openly smoke wherever they want they're pretty dumb. It's a form of quitting smoking over time by reducing the dose, you still crave real cigs but its alot better then going cold turkey. down to 0.6% from 2.4% over the course of a handful of months. Also its the one I've personally found with the lease amount of side effects.

Spangly A posted:

Webbs reply was smug as gently caress and basically "the only way you plebs will ever be free of oppression and capitalism is to vote labour" whereas brands was "if you become apolitical then the entire structure will fall over!!" which is some incredible degree of loving stupid. Also he's a really bad person when he isn't championing progressive drug law in parliament.

I think his point was more so that its easier for UKIP and other far right to get elected MPs and such which gives them creditability if normal minded people stopped voting in protest. Which is true.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 2, 2014

Fluo
May 25, 2007

ReV VAdAUL posted:

The problem there is the pharma and tobacco lobbies would push for e-cigs being mandated to look as silly as possible to protect their bottom line the children.

They kind of already do though. :shepface:

Thats not mine but its getting there (on looking silly). If I hear another Dr Who related joke about it I'm going to scream.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 3, 2014

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Saucechat/Crispchat: :geno:

Will Self enters the debate on crisps.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Scientology didn't save her. :rip:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Seaside Loafer posted:

Was she a druggie girl? Always seemed a bit dopey but its bloody bad luck to stroke out at 25. Maybe she decided to go and meet the aliens or something.

She was also a Scientologist /Sex Magic Culty.

EmptyVessel posted:

Roughly a year ago she revealed in a tweet that she'd dropped Scientology and was now a 'Thelemite'/member of the OTO. (L. Ron stole the idea of creating a religion from Crowley so this could be seen as progress of a sort.)
So her death/Greater Feast must have been her Will I guess.

e: 1815 - a large group of people had a bit of a punch up in Belgium so that there would be a name for a railway station and a song by a popular Swedish beat combo.

She was pretty dense either way, she went from one crazy cult (Scientology) to another as you said, Thelemite/OTO/Black Magic cult.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 7, 2014

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

It's not like I knew her or anything but Christ, people dropping dead who are younger than I am is a bit more unnerving than I'd like it to be.

Don't worry you're not in a black magic cult / doing a kilo of coke a month. You should be fine. :buddy:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Cerv posted:

david laws isn't a tory, and that's not even the most inaccurate part of your summary there

He is however an Orange Booker. :vince:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Cerv posted:

how does it feel to be the only person to have read that (contributors excepted)?

It made me suicidal, the worst thing was being told "I Didn't Know What An Orange Booker" was during the general election. :negative:

I warned goons but it fell silent.

Pissflaps posted:

I bet Thatcher never wore socks.

lol.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Puntification posted:

Truly nothing says persecution like the personal opinions of SA forums poster Gonzo McFee.

It's a pretty sweeping generalization of a group of people. Most I know (some are Lay Readers and Victors) are pro women bishops and pro gay marriage.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

marktheando posted:

Doesn't the bible say women aren't even supposed to talk in church? I don't understand these modern progressive Christians.

The bible says alot of things, Biblical literalism is not what most Christians believe in. A lot treat them as stories/fables on how to live your life, they have cultural awareness of the time it was written and how it had some politics of the time, some ways to stay clean / live longer (eg not eating shellfish) and such. A good documentary called For The Bible Tells Me So is worth checking out, it mainly surrounds the the gay issues but its good. Cultural awareness is a pretty strong thing. Same goes for the Qu'ran which if you read it you can pretty much see why for centuries there were art works of Mohammed then they (tried) to destroy all images of Mohammed.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

Any time I end up having to go to church it's about the gays.

They also have a go at Landlords and bankers so I end up leaving conflicted.

Maybe try a different Church if you're Religious? Seems like you're going to a bad one. Every church is different even within Anglican churches.

Xachariah posted:

That no fabric mixing wisdom sure was useful.

It kind of was at the time as it was easier to reuse the fabric because if the clothing had mixed fabrics because harder to reuse. Also the text is slightly different depending on which bible you read, some talk about wearing fabric others talk about having a piece of clothing made out of 1 type of fabric. Early times recycling. :shepface:

Also just for the record I'm not religious at all, just brought up having to do bible studies and such in a lefty church.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 10, 2014

Fluo
May 25, 2007

marktheando posted:

Yeah I know, it just strikes me as pretty pathetic. Either the bible is the word of god or it isn't. Stop being a Christian if you realise many of the religion's beliefs are repellant.

I'm sure there is some convoluted explanation for why this isn't to be taken literally.

:rolleye: What is cultural understanding of the times and place.

Cerv posted:

beep boop does not compute what is nuance

Fluo
May 25, 2007

marktheando posted:

Sounds to me like these god botherers just want to have it both ways.

Are you a robot or something. We're talking about a mass amount of people with many different splinters, they don't have it both ways. Some have it one way and some have it the other. The types who use the bible to bash gays are pretty dense because they most likely didn't even read Sodom and Gomorrah or if they did their memory is pretty fickle. Right at the start of the story they point to it says they were going to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah because they were sinful. The raping happens after that, which at the time culturally was not always sexual. It was a way of humiliating your enemies, that's why after battles the winners would do it to the losers on the battlefield there and then.

Not spilling/wasting your seed(sperm) was to do with just population building. It's all about cultural understand, not being a literalist and how you interpret it.

Also:

mfcrocker posted:

Sounds to me like god botherers are not a homogenous group and should not be treated as such

Fluo
May 25, 2007

I don't think there is a disabled gay black transgender woman MP in the Tory party though. Specially in the Tory party.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

General China posted:

Its a class war.

It's a class war in your Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall house.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Kegluneq posted:

General China despises Tony Benn as a class traitor.

So General China is literally the prolier than thou manchild?

In other news first gay clergy marriage! :toot:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-27008772

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Kegluneq posted:

Hi! Welcome to the UKMT. Please do not ask about Stephen Fry or crisps.

:iceburn: :golfclap:

Welcome to the new UKMT don't you mean?!

In news news the new spymaster general is pretty John le Carré era.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/apr/13/charles-farr-gchq-spymaster-counter-terrorism

quote:

Charles Farr - GCHQ's next spymaster general?
Man at heart of UK anti-terrorism strategy who put missiles on London rooftops during Olympics set to come in from the cold

You will not see a photograph of Charles Farr on his profile page on the Home Office website. The director of the Office for Security and Counter-Terrorism (OSCT) was appointed to his post in 2007, the profile reveals, and had previously "served at British embassies" before taking on a number of senior Whitehall positions "dealing with security and counter-terrorism".

But there are no details of his education or wider biography, and where a photograph might appear there is only a grey, faceless avatar.

This is not because we don't know what Farr looks like. Sandy-haired and balding, he wears his hair with a floppy fringe that can give him a foppish air, and sports invisible-rimmed spectacles that once led Keith Vaz, chair of the home affairs select committee, to describe him in one of his appearances before the panel as resembling "a grown-up Harry Potter".

But though Farr has been at the heart of government anti-terrorism strategy for seven years, and is the architect of some of the most controversial policy initiatives of the last two governments, this most secretive of Whitehall mandarins would much prefer to carry out his work far from the public gaze. Even on internal staff charts, on which others are pictured, say insiders, his face is blacked out.
[...] [more in the link]

Fluo
May 25, 2007

But isn't sex work legal as long as it isn't "street walkers"?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

namesake posted:

Can't we all just get together and overthrow capitalism already :negative:

No we got to give everyone labels and put everyone in categories with additional labelling if they tick 3 boxes. If said boxes are ticked we then put them in sub categories and give them fresh labels. What do you mean this is regressive rather then progressive?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

General China posted:

No, I have relinquished my prolier than thou title, what with me living in a posh house that was never owned by the council.

Hows your mental health and alcoholism?

Seems abit harsh this.

Completely fine for more then 2 years now and in moderation and finally got myself being a productive member of society from my knowledge of the latter. Thank you for asking I didn't know you cared. :allears:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 14, 2014

Fluo
May 25, 2007

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/meeting-the-future-faces-of-the-tory-party?utm_source=vicefbuk

quote:

RISE OF THE TORY YOUTH: MEETING BRITAIN'S YOUNG CONSERVATIVES
It’s been a long time since the Conservative Party could count on the youth vote. Perhaps it’s all the Bullingdon baggage – or that a legacy of bankrupting entire communities is probably never going to be that hip – but your average Tory branch meeting looks a lot more like a Rotary Club get-together than anything resembling the bright young future of British politics.

However, according to last year’s British Social Attitudes survey, Generation Y’s support for the Tories has doubled to 20 percent since 2003. Surprisingly, a UK-wide survey also found that Conservatives are the most popular party among students, and March’s Guardian/ICM poll revealed that 54 percent of 18 to 24-year-olds would consider voting Tory at the next election.

I wanted to find out what this new generation of Tories are like, and I figured that the best way to do that was to go and speak to some of them.[...]

Recommend reading the whole thing.

quote:

And if you do a degree in something that’s not going to give you practical skills, what can you expect?” said James Price, a 23-year-old security studies student from Gloucester', a Young Tory explaining the growth of youth unemployment.
:ironicat:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 15, 2014

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

Dunno about anyone else but he just annoys me. Rubs me the wrong way. Always has. Little fat-tongued prick.

It was pretty great when his "bringing back traditional british food that vanished" like fish and chips, bangers and mash, shepherds pies....[pretty sure I had those in the last month] shut down.

quote:

Jamie Oliver's attempt to revive traditional British grub in his unashamedly nationalistic and nostalgic Union Jacks restaurants appears to have foundered with the closure of three of the four outlets.

The TV chef's company cited the "challenging climate" for the decision to close Union Jacks branches in Holborn and Chiswick in London and Winchester in Hampshire with immediate effect.

The restaurants were aimed at "bringing back nostalgic British classics" such as fish and chips, and bangers and mash.[...]

"proud British flavours", including fish and chips with mushy peas at £14.95; pork belly, banger and mash for £14.50, and sticky toffee pudding with clotted cream at £6. Punters can wash it down with a range of "spectacular British wines". [...]

Fluo fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 16, 2014

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

I had fish and chips from his fish and chip shop at Falmouth and they were slightly more expensive than i'd normally be prepared to pay they were definitely delicious.

I ate at his seafood restaurant for my dads 50th and it was miles better then I've ever ate then and since. Most the locals were very League of Gentlemen.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

People just need to man up and get used to eating tilapia and other easily farmed fish than eating your plague ridden cod and haddock. Seriously, the amount of parasites that feed on (and in) cod and haddock are disgusting.

But yeah overfishing sucks but thanks to capitalism it is never going to go away until the oceans are basically a giant cesspool where companies can easily dump their chemical waste.

Just to point out turbot is fine to eat if sourced right, it's these that you should try and avoid if possible. Also last time I was at a fish mongers it was around £30 a kg for turbot, not been for a while though.

Turbot
One of the most expensive fish � once a symbol of luxury and ostentation - turbot belongs to a small family of left-eyed flatfish (both eyes on the left of the body. It is mainly supplied to and sold by the restaurant trade. Turbot may be baked, grilled or poached. Farmed turbot is available whole, usually as 1 to 5 kg fish.

There is very little management of turbot fisheries and a general absence of stock data, insufficient to evaluate stock trends. Available information suggests the North Sea stock biomass, where 90% of the catches in the Northeast Atlantic are taken, is now increasing from a low level, and where fishing mortality has decreased in recent years. Given the poor state of knowledge and lack of management, it is difficult to regard wild caught turbot as a sustainable choice. The EU aquaculture sector for this species (http://www.fao.org/fishery/culturedspecies/Psetta_maxima/en), with a tendency towards on-shore, lower impact tank culture (production now exceeds wild capture at over 8,000t per annum), provides an alternative and MCS recommends turbot farmed onshore as a more sustainable choice. Whilst a niche market for wild trap or line-caught fish is also an option. Avoid eating wild-caught turbot during its spawning season, April to August, and below the size at which it matures, 30 cms.

Halibut is a different matter however.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Apr 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

TinTower posted:

Yeah, why did Constantinople get the works?

That's nobody's business but the Turks.

• Locked thread