Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Talmonis posted:

I have to wonder if the alphabet agencies don't do this poo poo just to justify their budgets. Spend a few million loving around with vaguely defined "enemies", ruining our reputation abroad, creating more enemies. Rinse and repeat. Or is it that I'm just far too cynical?

I don't see what else it could be. Good clandestine intelligence work is completely invisible, and makes things look like they happened for completely different reasons. So how do you sit in front of congress and justify your budget if it looks like a manufacturing flaw blew up all those missiles instead of an inserted operative? "Oh yeah, we totally did impressive stuff, I just can't tell you what it was or prove it was us, can we have more money please?"

So it incentivizes bigger and more overt plans so they have something to point to. "Wow, it sure was lucky that revolutionaries got all those weapons, huh?" Except bigger and more overt plans are also riskier and more prone to failure. When they go wrong you have much more fallout - instead of your operative being fired by the arms manufacturer for failing to adhear to company practices with it never crossing middle management's mind he was an operative, you now get you operation blown wide open, trigger an international incident, burn a bunch of people and flush years of network building down the drain.

But hey, congress signed that budget provision you asked for!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ReidRansom posted:

That's what has me scratching my head too. Relations with Cuba are at the lowest level of animosity in a half century, we've made slow progress toward reopening proper diplomatic relations, and we go doing this sort of poo poo. Why? Not just because it's dumb and could backfire on you why, but what's the point why.
I wonder if they're courting the Cuban expat vote in Miami (again).

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

joeburz posted:

Except one X is related to medicine or nutritional value while the other is related to gambling or animal MMA. I understand where you're coming from on the desensitization front but you're essentially arguing that the means are irrelevant if the end result is the same, from which I don't think taking an opposing stance requires moral gymnastics by any means.

But we don't eat meat at the rate we do because of nutritional concerns. In fact, we are eating so much more meat than we need that it is a detriment to our health! If we were truly eating meat for sustenance, I would agree with you. But we aren't, the primary reason for us to eat as much meat as we do is because we like meat. And that huge demand (driven not by nutrition but enjoyment) is what leads to things like factory farming and the deplorable conditions our livestock finds itself in. I do think that research and small-scale farming can be different -- but even there they often aren't. Look at mice in research facilities. While there is a movement to provide them with more enrichment, they are very much on the fringe. For the most part, these mice live lives in a small cage with a few littermates where the only break in the monotony of their lives is to be taken out of the cage and have invasive, painful surgeries or blood drawn from their eyeballs or (often toxic) chemicals injected into their veins. And that's if they aren't just killed because they are too expensive. Oh, and how they die? Well, they are supposed to be slowly exposed to CO2 but because training is lax in that area, I've seen plenty of mice get blasted full on with CO2. Instead of gently falling to sleep, they die in incredible agony. Have you ever gotten a lung-full of CO2? It is not pleasant at all.

I'm saying that we are sufficiently alienated from medical research and farming that we freak out when we are confronted with common, everyday violence. So we try and clean up a small problem that is "bad" and done by people that are "bad" while ignoring the broader systemic issues because that would be hard and would affect us, people who are "good".

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Oh poo poo this is huge!

Senate just voted to release the torture report they have been sitting on. Until now the senate report and CIA response have been classified. Now that the senate is releasing its report, the CIA needs to release its report of its torture activities as well. Rights activists have been pushing for this for a long time.

Guess it turning out the Bush CIA was spying on congress was the last straw

http://m.washingtonpost.com/world/n...cb08_story.html

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Yeah that's big news.

Washington Post posted:

In an interview, [Senator] King said the document convinced him that what the CIA had done was torture. “I don’t have any doubts on that fact,” King said. “It’s a pretty hard read. It’s very disappointing.”

The report, based on a review of millions of internal CIA records, found scant evidence that the use of so-called “enhanced” interrogation techniques generated meaningful intelligence. It accuses CIA officials of overstating the significance of alleged terrorist plots and prisoners, and exaggerating the effectiveness of the program by claiming credit for information surrendered by detainees before they were subjected to duress.

For years, the agency made inaccurate statements to the president, the National Security Council and the Congress, King said. “That’s one of the most disturbing parts of this — the institutional failure.”

This is going to be worse than we all thought isn't it? :ohdear:

Lying to Congress/the President takes this to a whole new level.

axeil fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 3, 2014

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

zoux posted:

Yeah but if they do that the Republicans might say mean things to and about them and they'll just shuffle their feet and apologize for passing reasonable policies :ohdear:

quote:

"Look, if being liberal and progressive means that I care for children and whether they go hungry, color me! Color me a Democrat!" exhorted Cleaver in one of many deviations from his prepared remarks. "If being a Democrat means I'm concerned about our seniors in the sunset of their life, color me Democrat! Color me liberal! After all, we are the ones who protected Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, who fought for fair wages and who ended 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell.' We are Democrats! And don't you ever forget it!"

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
USA Politics April: Arguing about cockfighting somehow not a derail

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Swan Oat posted:

USA Politics April: Arguing about cockfighting somehow not a derail

But were the cocks circumcised?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Mississippi GOP challenger flies too close to the white-hooded sun:

quote:

The chairman of the Mississippi Republican Party said Thursday that the state senator challenging Republican Sen. Thad Cochran should explain why he was listed as a keynote speaker at an event that included a group that sells "white pride" merchandise.

State Sen. Chris McDaniel, who is challenging Cochran, had been listed as a speaker at the Combined Firearm Freedom Day/Tea Party Music Fest in Guntown, Miss., on May 17. Listed as a vendor at the rally is Pace Confederate Depot, a group that "deals in Confederate, Tea Party, and White Pride Merchandise," according to its website.

McDaniel spokesman Noel Fritsch said Thursday that McDaniel would not attend. "Chris McDaniel never agreed to attend the event and will not attend the event," he said.

Mississippi GOP chairman Joe Nosef told NBC News Thursday that McDaniel should clarify whether he supported the group.

"I think he should clear it up as fast as he can," Nosef said. "Running for the United States Senate is a very important thing and as a party we need to always be careful and focused and serious about what our views are and what our interests are. And if Sen. McDaniel thinks that there's more to tell, to explain it, my thought as the party chairman would be, the sooner the better."

The back-and-forth is the latest skirmish in a broader fight between establishment Republicans and conservative and tea party groups. The Mississippi race is viewed as conservative organizations' best chance to oust a sitting GOP senator in the 2014 midterm elections. The Club for Growth, FreedomWorks, and other national conservative groups have endorsed McDaniel; the National Republican Senatorial Committee in Washington is supporting Cochran, the incumbent.

National establishment Republicans are concerned that insurgent conservative candidates could cost the party critical seats -- and possibly overall control -- of the Senate this year. So far, the phenomenon has cost them as many as four Senate seats already; conservative candidates in Indiana, Colorado, Missouri and Nevada all beat more moderate GOP candidates in primaries only to go on to lose the general election to a Democrat.

Establishment groups like the NRSC are determined to avoid that this election cycle, when the GOP needs to win 6 seats to take back the Senate. Highlighting potential trouble spots early on is one way to advance that goal. The NRSC has also focused on Matt Bevin, who's running in Kentucky against Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell; Bevin recently appeared at a rally to legalize cockfighting.

"I want the strongest Republican candidate nominee in order to win the election in November," said Nosef, the Mississippi GOP chair. "And if there is any information that some voter might find negative, certainly I hope we deal with all of that in our primary and not when it's too late."

Pace Confederate Depot is just one of many groups listed as attendees at the event, billed as a "Battle for the Constitution"; also included are tea party and liberty groups. A new version of the graphic advertising the event does not include McDaniel's name as a speaker.

The Southern Poverty Law Center lists Pace Confederate Depot as an "active white nationalist group," and owner Brian Pace told a Mississippi TV station last year that "whenever we had racial segregation, things were much better off."

Asked if white nationalist rhetoric had a place in the state's Republican Party, Nosef said: "No. Absolutely not."

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

e: ^^^ yeah, probably. I'm not saying there's not other, better poo poo they could gamble on, I'm just saying that's why people do it.

Or the occasional killing spree, but I guess that wasn't March.

They did Specify combat deaths...

Prosopagnosiac
May 19, 2007

One of us! One of us! Aqua Buddha! Aqua Buddha! One of us!

Fried Chicken posted:

Oh poo poo this is huge!

Senate just voted to release the torture report they have been sitting on. Until now the senate report and CIA response have been classified. Now that the senate is releasing its report, the CIA needs to release its report of its torture activities as well. Rights activists have been pushing for this for a long time.

This has the potential to be big, but I wonder what, if anything, will happen as a result? If I had to guess, the most we'll get is a reform of interrogation practices and maybe increased oversight from congress. It's not nothing, but what is really needed is a reform/consolidation of all the intelligence agencies, the NSA and CIA in particular.

Is there any possibility of prosecutions over this?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Sounds like the solution to me is to stop giving so much subsidies to corn and feed so that meat isn't as cheap while promoting healthier eating and then to regulate companies and schools that test on animals more stringently. I understand both of those are politically unfeasible but I don't think the answer is to throw up our hands and say we should be able to torture animals for fun because certain industries are able to either get around the law or have really good lobbyists and not allowing the blood gates to fully open would be hypocritical.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Will seeing how Obama followed Clinton in 2001 and instituted the Iraq war and oversaw our intelligent agencies at the time, all the torture, which is bad now, is his fault.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Prosopagnosiac posted:

Mistakes were made but what is done is done. We should put this behind us and move forward. Why are you still bringing things up from the last administration? Is it just a cover for the incompetence of this administration? If we are even going to consider prosecuting patriots trying to defend America, shouldn't we first prosecute those responsible for Benghazi and Fast and Furious?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

greatn posted:

But were the cocks circumcised?

They do that to each other.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

There's a town in Mississippi called "Guntown" holding a Tea Party Gun Show? :psyduck: Christ, this reads like the setting of a bad email forward.

Prosopagnosiac posted:

This has the potential to be big, but I wonder what, if anything, will happen as a result? If I had to guess, the most we'll get is a reform of interrogation practices and maybe increased oversight from congress. It's not nothing, but what is really needed is a reform/consolidation of all the intelligence agencies, the NSA and CIA in particular.

There will be a lot of hemming and hawing over this, but in the end, I don't see anything more than a few token regulations and additional avenues of oversight being placed on them. I think it depends a lot on whose feathers they ruffled the most.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Ammat The Ankh posted:

State Sen. Chris McDaniel, who is challenging Cochran, had been listed as a speaker at the Combined Firearm Freedom Day/Tea Party Music Fest in Guntown, Miss., on May 17. Listed as a vendor at the rally is Pace Confederate Depot, a group that "deals in Confederate, Tea Party, and White Pride Merchandise," according to its website

I bought my white pride holster at Guntown USA! :911:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

AlternateNu posted:

There's a town in Mississippi called "Guntown" holding a Tea Party Gun Show? :psyduck: Christ, this reads like the setting of a bad email forward.

And that politician's name was Albert Einstein...

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

BiggerBoat posted:

He meant to type "The Ramones" or "The Clash".

Hey look! You can name two punk bands from 40 years ago. Dookie is a fantastic record. "Longview" is the anthem of suburban ennui.

Grapplejack posted:

They did Specify combat deaths...

Yeah, military suicides are a national tragedy, but there's no reason to go and poo poo on what is an unquestionably good thing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

zoux posted:

I think it's really cool that in America, literally children ask tougher and more relevant questions than the entire professional newsmedia.

Children's networks don't get blacklisted by political parties for asking tough questions, nor do they get fired by their boss for making a friend uncomfortable.

Media in this country is so thoroughly hosed and useless that it's not going to change barring a miracle.

Fried Chicken posted:

Oh poo poo this is huge!

Won't the CIA just redact the whole thing like they've done in the past?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Prosopagnosiac posted:

I think there might be. Remember Obama came it promising it, got a look at what was going on, and promptly started giving speeches about the need to look forward and backing the CIA on hiding all the reports on what they did. It always smacked of their actions being so gobstoppingly over the line that the Dems reversed themselves because of the damage the releases would have done to us. Now that it is being released, the only way to control the blowback will be to prosecute. We won't see Cheney or Rummy go down, but some middle management that oversaw the program, yeah, potentially.

Of course that is all predicated on the reversal being because of how bad it was rather than standard hypocrisy. But since it was an international program of kidnapping, torture, and killing run by Bush I'd say it being worse than we ever imagined is a safe bet

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Children's networks don't get blacklisted by political parties for asking tough questions, nor do they get fired by their boss for making a friend uncomfortable.

Media in this country is so thoroughly hosed and useless that it's not going to change barring a miracle.

Won't the CIA just redact the whole thing like they've done in the past?

The CIA has no control over the senate report so at a minimum that will be clean. If they redact theirs then the senate report goes uncontested which is bad for them. Plus the declared declassifying really limits how much they can redact

Prosopagnosiac
May 19, 2007

One of us! One of us! Aqua Buddha! Aqua Buddha! One of us!
Poe's law has been in effect in Mississippi since it's inception. That's why I am so rarely surprised by all of the terrible things that republicans do. Because you just know that if one rear end in a top hat in a state has a bad idea, we've either already done it, or want to try to do it harder.

"Oh, you think watching republicans be lovely is your ally. But you merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see a decent politician until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but Flabbergasting!"

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

nachos posted:

"Look, if being liberal and progressive means that I care for children and whether they go hungry, color me! Color me a Democrat!" exhorted Cleaver in one of many deviations from his prepared remarks. "If being a Democrat means I'm concerned about our seniors in the sunset of their life, color me Democrat! Color me liberal! After all, we are the ones who protected Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, who fought for fair wages and who ended 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell.' We are Democrats! And don't you ever forget it!"

I don't who this guy is, but I like him. If I heard a lot more of this, and a lot less of the loving *whining* that passes for Democratic talking points nowadays, I would strongly consider actually voting for one of them.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Talmonis posted:

I have to wonder if the alphabet agencies don't do this poo poo just to justify their budgets. Spend a few million loving around with vaguely defined "enemies", ruining our reputation abroad, creating more enemies. Rinse and repeat. Or is it that I'm just far too cynical?

It honestly sounds to me like a pointless busywork project they gave to some intern for course credit.

"Hey, we need something for that Georgetown kid to do while he's here. College kids are all into twitter and social media, right? Someone find him a desk and make sure HR prints him a photo ID by EOD today."

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I was just eye-rolling to myself about how it seems like the CIA has never done anything useful, but then I realized that it may be literally true. Can anyone name a morally-defensible operation they haven't hosed up?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

mdemone posted:

I was just eye-rolling to myself about how it seems like the CIA has never done anything useful, but then I realized that it may be literally true. Can anyone name a morally-defensible operation they haven't hosed up?

Not to sound as if I'm defending the leading cause of misery in the southern hemisphere, but if they actually succeeded in doing something useful, we likely have no clue it happened.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mdemone posted:

Publishing the World Factbook.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mdemone posted:

How do you define morality

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

mdemone posted:

Back when they were the OSS they at least focused on killing Nazis.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wonder how many Congressman have this recurring nightmare.

And an NPR poll puts ACA approval at 46%.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

mdemone posted:

By the definition of clandestine work, we don't hear about the successful ethically sound ones. If it is successful we won't hear about it when it goes to poo poo because it doesn't blow up in a spectacular fashion, and if it is ethically sound we won't get someone blowing the whistle on it like we might if it was evil but worked.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

mdemone posted:

They sent Ben Affleck to Iran once, does that count?

Also helping various defectors leave the USSR is at least not morally indefensible.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

zoux posted:

A Tea Party dude on my Facebook feed once threw a poll like that at me, except he wasn't accounting for the something like 15% of respondents that said they didn't like it because it didn't go far enough (probably because they wanted single-payer). It is worth noting that this NPR poll puts that figure at 7%.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Fried Chicken posted:

By the definition of clandestine work, we don't hear about the successful ethically sound ones. If it is successful we won't hear about it when it goes to poo poo because it doesn't blow up in a spectacular fashion, and if it is ethically sound we won't get someone blowing the whistle on it like we might if it was evil but worked.

They oughta think about orchestrating some leaks about some older stuff that is milquetoast enough to be declassified, then. Could use the positive PR.

And yeah, Argo probably does count. Even if it worked despite the higher-ups making an honest effort to gently caress the monkey.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

mdemone posted:

Can anyone name a morally-defensible operation they haven't hosed up?

Define 'moral'. Depending on definition, King Herod was morally justified to kill all male babies in Bethlehem to prevent Christians from loving the world (especially Jews) over. Now replace King Herod with CIA and babies with 'X' (or just 'babies') and Christians with whatever. Now shoot yourself because you know too much.

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.

zoux posted:

Here's all the most recent ones

code:
NPR/GQR/Resurgent	3/19 - 3/23	840 LV	47	51	Against/Oppose +4
Quinnipiac		3/26 - 3/31	1578 RV	41	55	Against/Oppose +14
Reason-Rupe/PSRAI*	3/26 - 3/30	1003 A	36	53	Against/Oppose +17
ABC News/Wash Post	3/26 - 3/30	RV	48	50	Against/Oppose +2
FOX News		3/23 - 3/25	1015 RV	40	56	Against/Oppose +16
Associated Press/GfK	3/20 - 3/24	1012 A	26	43	Against/Oppose +17
Rasmussen Reports*	3/22 - 3/23	1000 LV	42	54	Against/Oppose +12
CBS News		3/20 - 3/23	1097 A	41	53	Against/Oppose +12

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

mdemone posted:

They've funded tons of art and literature through agencies that were basically intended to promote those in order to foster active public spheres, with no real direction or supervision from the CIA.

Same for science - CIA has funded a ton of 'pure' science through front agencies, on the theory they scientists are a good informal network to give US scientists ties to people around the world.

They basically founded area studies and language studies programs throughout US universities and contributed / contribute huge amounts of money to them (these days split among the intelligence community and State, and often nominally offered from State or DOD).

They were basically the voice of reason when it came to estimating bodycount / lack of effectiveness in Vietnam, but totally shut out by the military.

They created and ran the U2 spy plane program, then spy satellite programs, that did a HUGE amount in calming down policymakers in Washington by showing how completely they'd overestimated Soviet capabilities. That had a huge impact on reducing the risk of nuclear war.

The CIA has done tons of good stuff. They've also done tons of lovely things. Almost all of it, good and bad, was done at the direction of the president in charge at the time.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

quote:

Quinnipiac

The Right just won't shut up about Ted Kennedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

mdemone posted:

Think about the past 60 years. Can you imagine that America of that era would have not ended up starting WWIII without the CIA constantly reminding anyone with any budgetary power 'the Soviets have a shitton of Nukes'?

The big operations that you hear about are almost uniformly horrible (as people have mentioned, possibly due to the horrible missions being the only ones you hear about),but the biggest positive effect that the CIA (and GRU and MI5 and others) had was to keep the rulers of various countries from thinking that they could come out ahead during a full-blown world war, like they did depressingly often before the cold war.

• Locked thread