Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
My big problem with this show is that Gotham is so corrupt that it seems unbelievable. Wouldn't the FBI or somebody get involved when the cops and the local government are in "let's murder and detain people brazenly, who cares" territory?

OTOH this show is based on a comic where serial killers escape or get release from prison every other week, and they all live in one city, so I guess it's not that far off of the mark.

The "wink wink, look at this guy who's a future villain" thing is getting old fast though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

I'm expecting Oswald's next move to be mailing a body part to the parents for proof.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

VDay posted:

I think the kid playing Bruce is believably weird and Selena was mostly fine, but those scenes at the end...oof. Yeah let's make this teenager act smug as hell and then threaten to make a false sexual assault accusation, that'll go great in our light-hearted and goofy take on Batman!

That scene just made me not like her. I'm hoping that they give her some actual character development, beyond "look at me I'm a girl called Cat who walks on roofs" and the damsel-in-distress routine (though the eyes thing was pretty viscous).

I like the kid playing Bruce though. He seems to have a certain combination of intensity, naivety, and creepiness that makes it believable that he will grow up and start running around in a bat costume.

So far Oswald is the best thing on the show though.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

I've been thinking about this episode again and I'm really irritated at the "no psychologists for Bruce" thing. Alfred knows that Bruce is self harming. He's also ten years old. If you're the guardian of a ten year old who has been through some serious trauma and is reacting to it by hurting himself, it's time to talk to a psychologist, whether he loving wants to or not.

With the way the show is going, I'm literally surprised that he did not see a psychologist, who happens to be named Dr. Quinn, who is fascinated with jokes and psychopathic serial killers, who also like jokes. Because she likes jokes.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

There has to be something up with the Waynes in this version, because I have to think that was the true goal of the robber that shot them. If I'm remembering right in the comic the father jumped in front of the mother to protect her, and that spooked the robber and he panicked and shot, but in the show he seemed to do it anyways even though the father was clearly being compliant. Was the robbery just a cover-up for a hit?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

How old is Bruce in this show? I imagine the show's endgoal is to be on air until he takes up the cowl, and then it will end, right? I just wonder if this show can stay interesting for years and years with the whole "wink wink this person will be somebody someday in the future after the show ends" routine.

It's like a book having the prologue taking up 90% of the pages.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Xealot posted:

Except Sleepy Hollow is amazing. And it knows *exactly* what kind of show it is. It's insane in a totally great way.

Gotham's problem isn't even that it's insane. It's that it chooses to be sane or insane at random, and has zero trust in the audience to understand its premise.

This guy gets it.

Sleepy Hollow is ridiculously over the top, they embrace it. Gotham, I'm not sure what the gently caress they are doing. Gotham teeters between serious police drama to Balloon Man.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Krad posted:

This show is loving terrible. The only way to save it is to cancel it and renew it as "The Penguin."

I would ironically watch this. It would no doubt be better than Gotham.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

pookerbug posted:

Almost Human was cancelled so that this show could exist.

I'm not sure if you are saying that is good or bad. :v:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Drifter posted:

What a horrible interpretation of an awesome character.

This is the whole show for me, except for Cobblepot. This show is getting to the point where it's hard to even watch it to make fun of it - Gotham is stating to come across as horribly dumb to me between the "wink wink this is a villain" showings, the kindergarten CSI investigations, and the "we're going to arrest a guy based on what some hobo said" angles. I keep telling myself that SHIELD eventually got better so I should give Gotham a chance, but... :smithicide:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

I...actually liked this last episode, even Selina was tolerable because she was actually doing something besides going "look at me, I'm like a Cat, like a woman who would be a cat."

This version of Alfred has grown on me a lot as well.

To the people saying that young Bruce seems odd/wooden/weird...that's the point, isn't it? This is a kid who watched his parents get gunned down, and then grows up to fight crime at night wearing a bat-costume...Batman would have all kinds of psychological problems and wouldn't be that many steps away from the people that he fights save for his code.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

pookerbug posted:

I have a theory that a different writer is assigned to each character. Everyone just pastes their stuff into a shared Google doc and that's what gets turned in as the shooting script.

It's bad that this is a plausible scenario in my mind.

Watching the show on TV I can't get over how hilariously corrupt and dumb all city officials are, but I guess they would have to be for Batman to make any sense. Batman is basically the protector of a city full of idiots.

"Hey, this crazy asylum inmate, let's just let her walk around and pretend to be a nurse. Nothing could go wrong here!" :haw:

I'm just going to assume that things like the FBI and the Justice Department just don't exist in the Gotham universe, because otherwise somebody would have got them involved at some point.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Aces High posted:

I liked it, I liked this episode overall and would say it was probably one of the best so far but it gets dragged down due to the Barbara parts. They did a good fake out with the Arkham doctor, Harvey acted like an actual detective and demonstrated that he is actually good at his job, Penguin got a reality check to show that he is still just a middleman at this point, and Butch's story was nice worldbuilding. If the episodes after are more like this one then I think that this show can gain a little more good will, not unlike what people say of Agents of SHIELD

Yeah, overall it wasn't a bad episode. Maybe it will reach a point and move into "good" territory, but right now the show seems to have a problem with the consistency of its quality.

Drifter posted:

Also, lol, the Babs and Montoya stuff is so bad, ahahahahahahahaha. I don't even care how they've ruined Mom-Barbara, but good god it irks me that they've reduced Rene Montoya to this failure of writing. They've made Bullock great, though. Aha, love it.

The Barbara and Montoya stuff plays out like horrible fan-fiction or something. Whoever is responsible for that should feel ashamed, and if that whole thing just disappeared from the show with no resolution at all it would still be better than having to struggle through the Barbara portions of the show.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Yeah, you could tell that the show's idea of Bullock was that he was a good guy who lost faith, and he just needed Gordon around to remind him of that. The show did a poor job of getting that across, but it's there.

They need to give Gordon some more dimensions as well. I'm not even talking about "horrible secrets in the past" kind of things, but just something to show that he's a person beyond Gotham's Good Cop.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

That said, this is still an extraordinarily stupid (if fun) show, and nowhere was that more apparent than Fish's unbelievably stupid plan. Like seriously, she was going to get him to sign "papers"? Falcone's incredulous,"You think that'll make you a Don :stare:" was hilarious.

See, I thought Liza was supposed to eventually poison Falcone or something, not just make him...feel bad and sign over the mob boss papers? The whole scheme sounded really dumb.

Jerusalem posted:

I really enjoyed that episode, particularly Gordon "defusing" the Electrocutioner and the way his face fell when he realized Jim had just completely outplayed him.

This was pretty great though.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Yeah, I thought Butch's speech wasn't so much about him betraying his friend to help Fish, but more about him betraying everybody to help himself.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Dave Syndrome posted:

When Oswald's mother said her goodbyes to him I was pretty certain that the next thing we would see would be Mrs Kapelput going kaput.

Yeah, I thought "oh hey, they sure are showing Mama Penguin a lot, guess she's going to die." I was pretty surprised when that wasn't the case.

Craptacular! posted:

Also, GOD MAKE THE RIDDLER PLOT STOP. Except I'm kind of okay if Riddler gets a Harley analogue in the absence of Joker.

I don't know, the Riddler stuff is starting to grow on me, but only if we get they payoff of seeing him snap and killing somebody for not answering one of his dorky riddles. I mean, Nygma certainly comes across as a guy that might go off the deep end one day, so mission accomplished for the show?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Is the lady he is pining over a character in the comics? I do not like her character one bit, but if she is the cause of him snapping then cool

I don't think so, but I'm not the best guy to ask about comic-book stuff. :shrug:

She seems like she isn't really interested in Nygma, but she also doesn't want to hurt his feelings, so she comes across as less then direct with her reponses to Nygma. Nygma of course, seems to take this as her giving out signals that she is interested in him. I could totally see the conflict between Edward's fantasy and reality causing him to snap, though in the meantime it's interesting to watch him get disturbingly (more) creepy as he obsesses over her. No idea what Gotham will actually do with the situation though, it will probably be something more dumb than what most people would come up with.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Madkal posted:

The one characteristic I have loved about comic Riddler is that he is a guy with a huge ego that thinks he is smarter than everyone else. While I don't mind the Riddler portrayal in Gotham I kind of wish they gave him a bit more confidence.

Nothing says that he might not start gaining more confidence if he starts descending into a riddles and crime spree, if no one can ever figure the riddles out and catch him (until Batman).

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm betting it turns out to be fish's long lost husband or boytoy or something come to rescue her and they're actually going to start the next episode with them reaching each other and tearing each other's clothes off. It's just the sort of campy poo poo Gotham would do.

This sounds like something that Gotham would do.

I'm still amused that Penguin was able to get out of the car-crusher by phoning the operator and telling him that his mob-boss was going to beat him up if he listened to the other mob-boss. I can't decide if this was the dumbest thing or the greatest thing.

I wonder if Penguin is going to reach a point where he's less snivel-y and more vicious. Or...carry a gun himself, at least.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

I can't believe they are doing the Joker so soon, or at all, really.

So who is ready for Bullock's "You think this is funny, what are you, some kind of joker" line?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

That didn't really bug me - I just assumed that Papa Crane was batshit insane.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Shadow posted:

I really hope Season 2 starts with Bruce Wayne going off "to college" because at the pace they're moving, they're going to run out of material and need Batman's arrival by S2 finale.

Yeah, I can't help but think that it would have been better if they only introduced one "major" Batman villain an episode. The Joker thing sounds like what you would do for a series finale.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Yeah, I really wish that they didn't touch the Joker at all, but honestly the kid did ok with it for what he had to work with it.

So who's ready for all the drama with Barbara being mad at Gordon for moving on after she slept with the woman who was trying to get Jim thrown in jail. :suicide:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Penguin Mom wasn't bad, wasn't good, but I just took it as the "crowd" being bored because they don't look like the kind of people who would listen to that kind of music.

Seriously, where did Penguin's clientele come from anyways?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Oracle posted:

It doesn't even make sense to name the kid Gordon anyway, his first name is James.

Maybe the writers thought that make a reference to James would confuse the audience?

...the bad thing is I'm only partly joking...

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

The show would just be better if they dropped Fish and Barbara.

They are never going to drop Fish and Barbara, are they? :smith:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Penguin is an ex-underling who gets off on having power over people. Manipulating people like that is just to prove he can.

I like Gordon's story this season. It's the fall of a paladin done right, always thinking he's still the same guy he always was, with only glimpses of the reality he's walking.

Yeah, Penguin is just a little sadistic gently caress, which makes him awesome. He gets bullied all the time, and relishes it when he gets to be the bully instead.

I also like how Gordon always ends up back at the Penguin's feet, ready to make another bad decision, another...compromise.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Davros1 posted:

I actually like Selina on this show, and this show is the only Batman media that's actually made me care about the Bruce/Selina pairing. Not any of the comics, or cartoons.

I didn't like her at first when the show was all like "hey look, it's Kat, she likes to be called Kat, like a girl called Cat," but I like here a lot more now.

I mean come on, she put a verbal smackdown on Barbara, that automatically makes her a good character.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

I'd almost like for the Penguin to kill Fish though, but how many episodes are left? Things would have to get pretty convoluted to get us to that point.

Oh wait, this is Gotham, she'll just show back up in town because Dollmaker wanted a carton of milk or something. :v:

imperialparadox fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 9, 2015

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

The villains are the best thing about this show. Well, most of the villians. I actually liked Peter from Heroes as the Ogre, the guy playing the Penguin continues to nail and, and N Y G M A!

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

For some reason Nygma's "Oh dear" line cracks me up, probably because he plays it with equal parts "I shouldn't be doing this" and "but I really, really enjoy this."

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Generic American posted:

I think it's safe to say that Barbara is officially The Worst Character at this point, even beating out Fish for the title. At least I can laugh at how awkward and bad the latter storyline is, but Barbara... Jesus, there are so many layers. The weird thing is that I can't even say that I dislike her. I'm just hopelessly confused by whoever is writing her scenes and what they think I'm supposed to be feeling.

I don't like either character, but at least Fish has this campiness to her that can be funny in a way...Barbara is just...useless.

I think it would have been interesting at least if Barbara did turn out to be a bad guy and buddied up with the Ogre, at least she would have a point then. Hell, her turning bad would kind of make sense given how weird she is.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Zero One posted:

Super creepy with surround sound. The voices were coming from all over my room.

I guess I'm in the minority, I already knew he was crazy without the show slapping a "hey look at the crazy Riddler guy" scene in my face. I liked the slow lead-in to it I guess; I didn't need the "in case you can't figure what's going on" scene. :shrug:

This whole episode felt weird to me, like why did Selena suddenly became murder-buds with Fish after two weeks?

(And why did Fish turn into a Mad Max character)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Robot Hobo posted:

Selina's main character trait is that she's so totally independent, yet suddenly she's down for being Fish's lackey and apparently happy to kill the one cop she gets along with? It seemed kind of impossible that there wasn't at least one full episode's worth of events between point A and point B there that I had missed... but apparently not.

I think this was the thing that bugged me most about the episode. I hated the Selina character at first, buy I grew to like her as she got more developed and moved beyond the "I like cats" catchphrases that she always uttered in the first few episodes. Then, suddenly for the finale, it's like all the worst writers got together and totally ignored anything that happened with her character, besides the fact that she likes cats.

• Locked thread