Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Wadjamaloo posted:

Does pauper go here? Do we have a pauper thread?
I've been playing Familiar Combo And man is this deck fun. Its got really explosive draws, some good redundancy and ability to play around hate and I have been doing really good with it in the practice rooms. The only problem is that I have no idea how I could ever do a tournament with it. Most of my opponents have been nice enough to scoop when I get the combo out, but one guy made me play the whole thing out and it ate up 15 minutes of my clock. I'm really thinking about trying to make an autohotkeyscript to combo off faster, but I don't think it would be reliable.

I NEVER scoop to that deck. Let them spend 20 mins winning and if you run out of time it makes my day lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jassi007 posted:

So I'm finishing up Rg Tron for modern. Reading a bit, it seems combo is a bad matchup for the deck. I'm curious why? It seems to me that with a Karn, most combo decks can be kept off key permanents, mana, or cards in hand they need. I guess the main combo deck I face at FNM is Scapeshift, the player is very good.

My list is http://deckbox.org/sets/691448

My thoughts are basically side out 4 pyroclasm 3 o.stone, side in 1 sundering titan, 2 stone rain, 2 spellskite, 1 wurmcoil, and 1 combust (he runs teferi and clique)

How lopsided is the match Tron v. Scapeshift?

Spaseshift is almost impossible for GR tron to beat without a T3 Karn, at least in my experience playing it.. The only way you want to be playing tron is in a Pod heavy meta...

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 7, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

This might be a dumb question but whats the best way to use mindbreak trap against storm? You just wait until they try to cast their finisher and use it then, correct?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

neetengie posted:

Let the Storm trigger resolve, then use Mindbreak Trap.

And it takes their count down to zero?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ScarletBrother posted:

Storm count actually goes up by one from you casting the Trap, but all of their extra copies (and the original) are valid targets for you to exile.

OK thanks. I wasn't playing MTG when storm was in Standard so I just wanted to get an idea of ordering my hate right if I see it at a GP.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

So this is the absolute worst time of year to buy modern staples, right?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Tonetta posted:

this is the lowest modern staples have been since january, so it's probably okay or the market is slowly crashing

scg recently tried to explain it in a couple different articles is that with all the large tourneys, seasons are irrelevant when it comes to pricing

Really? I'm looking at Bob's and Goyfs and they are as high as ever...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Tonetta posted:

bobs are safe, for a good long time

goyfs will be reprinted at some point, who knows when so buy at your own risk

I mean Goyf went up after the reprint in MM so I doubt it's going down any time soon. I'm just wondering if instead of 170, it will be like 150 after the season... but who knows.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

FordCQC posted:

Are there any T1.5/T2 Grixis control decks in Modern?

There has to be some sort of Grixis Moon deck out there that might be decent...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

LaTex Fetish posted:

Any of you guys planning to go to GP New Jersey. I've been thinking about going, but the trip to New Jersey seems outlandish to me.

But SCG is hosting it and they are making a compelling argument. Participants get a cool Brainstorm playmat, deckbox, and sleeves.

http://www.magicgp.com/GPNewJersey/index.html

I will be there since it's about 10 mins from my house.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I'm much more looking forward to the 20 dollar sealed side events on friday than the main event but I want that drat playmat.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Valicious posted:

I play Legacy Affinity too. I'm better versed at Modern, but I'm decent at Legacy too.
How much do you think that playmat would sell for on ebay? I love it, but the trip would be a lot.

Not for nearly enough to pay for your trip...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ville Valo posted:

Placed 9th of 94 at a Legacy event for duals last weekend, with BUG Delver. Won a Taiga for my booby prize. I've got BUG Delver and UWR Miracles built out right now, and made a deal for some cheap Show and Tells and Griselbrands that should be here tomorrow. Only problem is I forgot the deck also runs Ancient Tombs / City of Traitors, making it more expensive to finish than I thought (I've got the Emrakuls, Volcanic Islands, fetches, etc). Is Omni-Tell still played at all? Does it run the 2-mana lands too? :mad:

In Eastern PA?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Molybdenum posted:

It is for modern tonight. My meta consists of 70% tron / twin and 30% everything else. I think infect has a good game against both of those archetypes.

and yes, I agree the superions shouldn't be there. I meant burning-tree shaman in my previous post. Rancor would work too.

I play twin and I think of Infect as pretty much a bye...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Wadjamaloo posted:

Sure sometimes burn gives you free wins, but so do stifle and wasteland. Eidolon also makes burn significantly harder to play then it used to be. Opponent has a goyf on board, do you cast eidolon or not?
Most of burns games play like you describe, you win or you don't. This can be said of a lot of decks, all the other games are won or lost by tiny margins and small choices make a huge difference.
If you have everything but eidolon, I say go for it. Even if you move to another deck later burn is a great way to learn about the format and things like playing around daze.

The answer to "Should I Cast Eidolon?" is almost always "Yes."

Also just hope your meta is light on combo decks. Burn just can't win vs most of them and it can get frustrating.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 19, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Why doesn't Modern Junk SB Leyline of Sanctity?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Everblight posted:

Because Burn isn't a thing and other decks don't care enough. Plus Thoughseize is bad against Lingering Souls and some mix of Obstinate Baloth, Loxodon Smiter and Wilt-Leaf Leige

Hmm. Maybe I have confirmation bias but I was just at a PTQ and there was a ton of burn in the room.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Everblight posted:

Sure, at the X-2 tables. Burn isn't the 'keep the format honest' deck in Modern. That's Jund.

Isn't everyone who was playing Jund playing Junk now? It seems strictly better... And burn is good vs both Jund and Junk.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Against an unknown field, Junk is probably slightly better, but as mentioned it really depends on your local meta. The worse Lingering Souls is (i.e. the more creature-less decks you face), the better I guess? I've played both and Junk definitely feels stronger, even without Path to Exile.

The difference Treetop Village makes vs. Raging Ravine is enormous, in my experience. Three colours makes you really vulnerable to incidental land destruction hate, and the deck is just slower than Junk.

Spirits is great even if you see creature-less decks since it pressures them from another angle and it's just a blowout against affinity which I'm pretty sure is in every meta. The manabase still feels awkward to me since you're playing 3 or 4 manlands that come in tapped as well as 3-4 tec edges and a lot of your lands deal you damage. You have to go to 15 for a T1 Thoughtsieze more than I would like to.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Wadjamaloo posted:

Eidolon is incredibly bad against goyf, but ok. Goyf is very hard for burn to answer and its not unreasonable for it to be a much faster clock than eidolon can provide.

Have you played the Junk/Jund vs Burn matchup much or are you talking BUG Delver in legacy? Junk/Jund is very weighted in Burn's favor game 1 and I would say it's still 55% burn after game 1. The reason why Eidolon is great is that it can get in with attacks as well as punishing them for anything they play. Even if they slam a Lili right away they have to take 2. The Tarmo clock isn't really relevant since burn on a good hand, provided they don't get their hand destroyed with Inquisitions, is usually going to be faster than any fair deck can race. Eidolon is never going to be blocking anyway and if it had to block you've already lost the game. Junk decks have even taken to playing Timely Reinforcements which is a pretty lovely card, just to answer burn. Just to stabilize until they can land an Ooze which is what wins them the game.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 22, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Wadjamaloo posted:

Mostly vs delver is what I am talking about. I'm just pointing out that burn is not always straight forward, and jamming eidolon on turn 2 is not always correct. When your opponent can sit on a goyf and you have to race a 4/5 with a 2/2 things are not straight forward.
The goyf player is also always in control of the race. The can effectively block your eidolon any time they choose.

But you're not racing with the eidolon. You're racing with a handful of burn. The eidolon T2 is great. It's going to deal 2 when they play the goyf if you're on the play and it will be able to get in when the goyf is tapped if they just try to race you. I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to get the eidolon out as early as possible.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 22, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

LaTex Fetish posted:

but eidolon damages you too!!! don't you see you big dummy!

I hope this is a joke... Your life is irrelevant when you're playing burn.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Typhus733 posted:

While talking about burn, is there really no game plan against combo decks other than hope they don't go off faster than I can burn 'em out? I recently built burn to get into legacy cheaply but I've quickly learned our local meta is very combo heavy. If I were to aim to build one of the pricier decks what would be an ideal counter to a combo heavy meta?

Play a few copies of Karakas.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

I firmly believe that basic lands are some of the strongest cards in legacy at the moment

Modern too. I'm looking for ways to add basics to all my decks.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

C-Euro posted:

I have four Modern decks right now, three of which are monocolored. My one multicolor deck is worth more than the other three combined :shepface:

The mana base of my Twin deck is worth more than all my standard decks combined lol.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah Goyf is definitely getting banned and my 600 bucks is going down the toilet.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Help me tweak my Modern Junk SB for this weekend:

2 Damnation
1 S o Light and Shadow
1 Batterskull
1 Unravel the Aether
2 Path to Exile
2 Aven Mindcensor
1 Creeping Corrosion
1 Timely Reinforcements
1 Thrun
?????????

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 25, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Molybdenum posted:

Rule of law?

Hmm I wish I was good at reading meta games... I haven't seen alot of storm lately though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Tonetta posted:

There is a ton of versions of this list floating around right now. The deck wins through either a storm card or making their mana dork so massive that they 1 shot you on like turn 2-3 (if theyre lucky)

That deck is SUPER fragile. Not really worried about it when one disruption spell ends their game.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Lonely Bridge posted:

What lands let you do this?

I've taken some time away from Sneak and Show as it seems people are pretty good at fighting it off these days. I jumped back to Elves and it's going great, which feels strange to me. I thought the deck would have more hate towards it but I felt the games were pretty balanced when I played last. My point is, to whoever said they don't want to play whatever "everybody is expecting" - it doesn't always make the biggest difference.

Lotus Petal into Pyretic Ritual?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Anyone going to the Eternal Weekend in Philly next weekend?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Playing my first big Legacy tourney this weekend in Philly with Jund and I'm having trouble with the SB. I think I might be running too much GY hate in that i have 2 Grafdiggers, 2 Spellbomb's and 2 Farie Macabre and want to cut something for 2 Ancient Grudge. Thoughts? I have a feeling that there will be a lot of D&T down there...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

You already have 4 maindeck pieces of graveyard hate. I'd cut at least one of each of what you have now. Most of your sideboard should be anti-combo. Without knowing your deck list, it's hard to say.

Mine is some combination of:
Surgical Extraction
Life from the Loam
Krosan Grip
Zuran Orb
ScOoze
Chains of Mephistofeles

And what I would actually play going in blind,
Engineered Explosives
Grafdigger's Cage
Pithing Needle
2x Red Blast
Golgari Charm
Pernicious Deed
Slaughter Games
Thoughtseize
Nihil Spellbomb
Engineered Plague
Ancient Grudge
Phyrexian Revoker
Jitte
And of course.....
Helm of Obedience!

I'm currently playing Chains and ScOoze in the main as anti-Treasure Cruise tech. The Orb and Helm go into my sideboard if I see burn boy or a white deck respectively. If you expect a lot of Death and Taxes, play Engineered Plague. It does double duty against Elves and TES. Helm of Obedience is also going to be great against D&T. But really, it shouldn't be too bad - Punishing Fire and Abrupt Decay keeps them under control pretty well.

This is my SB right now:
3x Red Blast
2x Cage
1x Jitte
3x Duress
2x Macbre
2x Spellbomb
1x Engineered Plague
1x Golgari Charm

So I'm playing a bunch of combo hate in Duress, Blast and Bomb... Already playing plague as it's awesome.

I play 1 Deed Main. After that it's a pretty stock Punishing Jund list... Why is Helm good? You would go with grip over grudge? Also, you don't play Life from the Loam?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 20, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

I had Deed main for a while. I ended up turning it into a Golgari Charm, which I liked a little more. Using it to regen my guys against a Nic Fit Deed was when I decided to keep it. Deed is way too good not to have somewhere in the 75 though. Somehow nobody ever expects it.

Helm is good because it punishes Rest in Peace, which otherwise really screws you. I have Grip and Grudge in my side. Grip hits Batterskull, Counterbalance, Blood Moon, Top, LED assuming they don't immediately crack it, Leyline of Sanctity, etc. Grip is also better against Miracles. Grudge is better against equipment decks, 12-Post, Tezzeret Merfolk, etc.

I'd play Surgical over Faerie Macabre, although it's close - maybe one of each. Surgical has been my MVP sideboard card (mostly because it's the only one I ever draw.) It can win so many games by hitting a key card like Entreat the Angels or Painter's Servant.

I don't know if you need 2 Cages. Your matchup against Dredge really shouldn't be that bad, and the only other thing I can think of where it's good is Painter and some Storm (which you'll probably lose to anyway.) and Elves where if they're able to cast Natural Order you're probably losing anyway. You might consider a 2nd Library or if you can afford it, Chains.

What's your Thoughtseize/Hymn/Lili count main? I'm at 3/4/4 and I can't see ever needing more than 2 more discard spells in the side.

4/3/4 right now. Doesn't cage shut down Natural Order? Haha I didn't think of Helm vs Rest in Peace, thats awesome. They die to their own hate. But doesn't that seem a tad bit like goldfishing?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

Cage shuts down NO, but you really don't want to let them get to a place where they can cast it anyway. If Elves are at 4 mana + creatures, the game has probably gotten away from you. It does stop stuff like fetch Arbor, but you're pretty well equipped to punish that play anyway.

Maybe Helm is a bit silly/unfair/uninteractive/whatever, but there's just going to be some free wins from it. And they'll all be against decks that have Swords, which is otherwise really hard to beat. They have a 2 mana card that shuts half of your threats off, it's only fair you have a 4 mana card to kill them for it. Plus imagine the look on their face when they realize they got next leveled. It also serves double duty against Sneak and Show/12-Post if you want to be really ballsy about it.

After playing tonight I feel like I need surgicals just to deal with Treasure Cruise...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

Yeah. I posted the other week how I lost a game against burn with 0 cards in hand, 3 lands, and nothing else in play, and dead on board with me at 9 life and 2 cards in hand to a topdecked Cruise. I can't wait for it to get banned so I can go back to playing Magic.

Wait so burn is playing cruise now? lol. I don't think it's unbeatable though. A lot of the decks that play it have a hard time coming back in a game that you have control of even with Cruise. I was able to win against Sultai Delver even though he resolved 3 cruises in one game just because once i was ahead he didn't really have a way of catching back up.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

Yeah, I beat BUG Delver that same night through like 6 or 7 Cruises in 3 games. But the fact that BURN is playing blue for one card is pretty telling that the card is broken. Don't even get me started on modern. I've played one deck online in 10 matches that wasn't UR Delver.

Yeah it's completely busted in Modern Delver with Swiftspear. I've been playing Twin for a while now and I'm even thinking of going to Delver just so I can run cruise.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

It sure is online. And as much as people like to pretend UR Delver isn't burn, it's burn. With Delver.

It's not burn. it's much more interactive and fun to play than burn is.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

Yeah, I beat BUG Delver that same night through like 6 or 7 Cruises in 3 games. But the fact that BURN is playing blue for one card is pretty telling that the card is broken. Don't even get me started on modern. I've played one deck online in 10 matches that wasn't UR Delver.

Totally picked up a Helm for the weekend. If I get one free win with it it will be worth it just to see the look on their face but I'm sure that I'll bring it in vs decks running RIP and just never draw it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Wadjamaloo posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/cardtitan Sam Castrucci just put a Stomping Grounds into play in legacy, and it wasn't a budget option.
Legacy Scapeshift

Went 6-4 in this tourney today. If I never see another Delver Burn deck ever again I would be perfectly fine with that. It was all 4 of my losses. I was 6-2 with a shot at top 16 and lost two a row to Price of Progress.

• Locked thread