Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Brackhar posted:

So, to kinda turn the normal question line on its head, what classes do you guys not like playing as and why?

I didn't like dps Medic. It might as well be a melee with the way it plays, is pretty much the issue that I had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

El_Phantasmo_loco posted:

This. It was strange, but the medic class felt the most pvp/pve efficient, beyond the warrior and the engineer, which seems strange compared to what I'm used too, I have high hopes for the engineer but right now it feels lackluster. Let's see how it turns out at level cap. I'm still gonna roll one 31st, though maybe not my main focus. I think they will do well in pve content.

Engineers pretty nice in pvp with the right build @ 50, you're pretty much constantly doing maximum dps since specced correctly you don't need to use a builder pretty much ever. The range on electrocute is really nice for the damage it does and you can get a fair amount of utility abilities if you want. At worst they're the 2nd or 3rd best dps.

While level 20 pvp can give you a decent idea of how the other classes might play, for engineer it's totally worthless. Their best pvp build really needs levels before it comes together. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the same for pve as well since I don't see why the infinite volatility builds wouldn't work great there as well.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 24, 2014

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Psykmoe posted:

Once I got Bioshell and the Volatility Rising AMP, Engineer didn't feel that slow to me, since Bioshell both adds tech vulnerability and produces just enough volatility to get bonus Volatility from the AMP, so I could immediately bust out a reasonably long Electrocute with bonus damage. I also ended up switching to Flak Cannon for my builder instead of Pulse Blast, I like the channeled nature and receiving Volatility in ticks throughout. If I have to Dash while casting Pulse Blast I get no damage and no resources, which was sort of annoying. At least If I have to interrupt the Flak with a Dash I still did and get something. Not sure how practical that is as dps in an instance since Flak produces extra aggro.

Bioshell's telegraph behavior takes some getting used to though, since the shell doesn't reach the end of the telegraph if it hits enemies before that and explodes there. No big deal, just haven't had an ability that works that way before.

But do you ever get a volatility spender that's as good/better than Electrocute? I only played engineer to 20 or so and Electrocute does kick a lot of rear end, I'm just curious.

Especially the Bruiser Bot AI needs to be more reliable though.

Maybe it's because Electrocute has no cooldown but it felt weird to me that despite both generating a degrading resource with their basic attack, Warrior and Engineer pacing felt pretty different to me.

Of the classes I tried (Warrior, Engineer, Spellslinger) I definitely preferred Engineer for taking on tough foe solo, thanks to bots and the great damage output of Exo-suit powered Electrocute.

My friend who plays Engineer tested everything pretty extensively and he always defaults to using Electrocute, so I assume it's just the best option. I don't know specifics though, all I know is from what he tells me/playing with and against him. The most noticeable thing being holy poo poo he spams electrocute like it's free

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Double Monocle posted:

Esper innate is actually pretty good since its giving you free interrupt armor, and you can dodge roll during the self root. Its absurdly good if your a healer trying to keep yourself alive.

There's really nothing wrong with the Esper innate, not sure why people complain about it.

If you're DPS, the root and shield go well with TK strike. You have to stand still to cast it anyway, the shield means that the extra damage you're taking due to standing still is negated, and the IA means you're probably not going to be cc'd during it. You can get 2 5 point finishers off during it if you're spamming TK strike at the same time.

If you're a healer and you've got mind over body in your build, it's similarly amazing. If you don't then maybe not. Still it's really good and I think the no movement trade off is well worth how strong it is.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Tupper posted:

Starting to seriously reconsider my launch choice of Engineer since we're gonna be on a PVP server. Its been a long time since I've been on a PVP enabled MMO server, and I always wanted to roll a rogue in WoW. Might go Stalker.

Anyone that's played both Engi and Stalker willing to give me their opinion? Also still kind of tossing up between Settler, Explorer, and Scientist. Ugh. THIS GAME.

Engineers good at killing people. Stalkers worse at killing people, but better at trying to kill people, failing, and then escaping alive.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Tupper posted:

Really? Huh. Maybe I'll stick with Engi on headstart and just see how it goes. I felt like Stalker was a lot more potent during beta but maybe i was just a poo poo engineer in PvP.

That's probably true from what you saw, but Stalker later on is a lot more suited to hit and running rather bursting people down, while Engineer becomes a ranged class that shits out consistently high damage (you don't need to use a builder) with amazing kiting ability.

If you like finesse classes, Stalker's still a pretty fair choice. Engineer is pretty brute force in comparison.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Would https://winauth.com/ work as an authenticator for Wildstar or does it need to actually support the game first? Not sure if it just uses the google account code or what.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Ironlung37 posted:

We're going Pergo!

And you need to have really exceptional Accomplishments and Credentials

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

a cock shaped fruit posted:

I hope it persists. Being an Australian (:australia:) I am currently awash in a sea of idiots all chiming "No aus servers, not playing." and being frowned upon for looking forward to it.

I think we're the idiots for playing with how poo poo the game feels with lag, really. The people giving it a pass have some sense.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

a cock shaped fruit posted:

That's the thing though, I played a bunch, did PvP, did dungeons, world bosses - and it never felt 'poo poo' with lag. It was there, but it felt no different to playing 4 years of WoW with the ping. You just anticipate things a little better and avoid being a shitbird.

It's manageable, but it still feels like complete and utter poo poo. Game definitely doesn't play fluidly with lag.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

The Moon Monster posted:

Is Soldier the best path for people who don't give a poo poo about paths?

Soldier doesn't give regular exp for the mobs you kill, so if you don't give a poo poo about paths, it's an equal waste of time to all of the others

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Doublehex posted:

The hell am I looking at?

What happens when devs take a minority that want a game from 2004 back seriously.

Rasmussen posted:

Just to quote myself, googling around seems like this is a common issue and has something to do with geographic location in relation to Carbine and ISPs? I dunno, I'm in Australia and it's been working fine all through beta. Day of (headstart) launch? Busted. That burns me a little. Anyone got any other ideas?

Hosts file thing fixed this for me. I'm on optus and I had this issue so if you are too it's probably some dumb dns issue

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The PWNER has and he's already bitching about the lack of endgame content.

Um no I don't think I ever commented on endgame stuff, at all, except pvp

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
yeah the devs are on twitter celebrating with alcohol as they intentionally close the servers so that we cant login, pretty good. maybe if they STOPPED DRINKING and did theyre job wqe'd be ok?

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
FYI it's actually not a hamster, it's a chupacabra

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I should've filmed a run thru of the starting zone before the game came out and streamed it

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Poistiant posted:

I'm gonna go play some diablo 3 their servers work right all the time!

On diablo 3 launch I was in and playing by now.

Really good work Carbine really impressive... anyone know where to get refund?

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Kewpuh posted:

I love reading MMO launch threads because it amazes me that they still can't get this poo poo right. Rift went okay I guess but uh it was Rift so nobody gave a poo poo

I remember swtor being pretty good too, but they had way too many servers on launch and had to merge them like 2 months later so maybe it wasn't such a good idea

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Levelling in the shared quetst hubs is so weird right now, everyone doesn't want to deal with the trouble of potentially making an enemy and is carefully avoiding stepping on the opposite factions toes. I just did a quest area with 5 dominion there and 3 or 4 exiles, all unaffiliated, and not a single thing happened at all in 45 minutes.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Mormon Star Wars posted:

At level 11 you get a short range mobile builder, IIRC.

edit: haha the "Reputation Blinds and Teleports you to 0,0" bug is back.

And it kills way slower than tk strike.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
They should just remove the initial 0.75 second cast entirely, that'd make it on par with tk strike

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

panda clue posted:

:dogout:
Are all gamers this stupid, or just goons?

This games fans are essentially a cult.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
So while the servers are down, any other espers really disappointed with the 2 alternative finishers?

Reaper only hits 1 target and does similar damage to Mind Burst while telekinetic storm does more damage than mind burst (but over time) and it's aoe damage could be wasted if the other targets move away from the mob it's stuck to. Mind burst just hits every target with its full damage instantly and you don't have to worry about any of that.

I was hoping these spells were changed since I last played beta but nope they're still just abysmal. I really hate mind burst because the start of the cone is so small, which seems to gently caress with hit detection if you spin around quickly and cast it, but there's just no alternative.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Attempted my first vet dungeon today as I never bothered doing them in beta and holy gently caress they're hard, but its the good kind of hard. Wiped 20 times or so but I didn't really mind because it all feels very fair. The 3rd boss of skullcano was just gibbing our tank because I guess green gear isn't good enough and we had to stop.

The difficulty jump from adventures is pretty huge though.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Daemonlasher posted:

So looking at this: http://i.imgur.com/NaNBVbE.jpg I have to ask people who are actually playing the game. How hard is this? Do you have to this this in sequential order? How bad is the poopsock truely. I really want to like Wildstar, I do; but I don't know if I can justify playing a sub-based game when I spend a lot of time practising League to stay competetive and have school/IRL obligations as well.

Yes you do. It's possible to get all of this done in your first week at 50 *IF* you have a dedicated group that can get silver in vet dungeons in greens.

More likely though it'll take at least a few weeks at 50 for most people. It's not so much of a grind as a series of required annoyances. You want to be gearing up for vet dungeons anyway, you want to do them anyway. The annoying part is having to gather people to kill 10 world bosses, and wasting 150 elder gems on a key instead of something fun like an amp pt or action set.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 6, 2014

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Asema posted:

The first dungeon in Wildstar has better bosses, mechanics, and aesthetic style than most WoW raids.

I don't think you've raided in WoW if you think that's anything out of the ordinary.

quote:

several of those could be automated by addons telling you exactly where to go and when.

lol at this complaint because this is going to be wildstar in a month

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Asema posted:

This is a good argument about what's difficult about World of Warcraft

And a boss video sure is. Good job, Asema. Keep fighting the good fight. This is the wow killer.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Asema posted:

Nobody in this thread is calling it a WoW killer but if someone calling WoW easy is enough to get you to go full defensive mode about it, then ???

It's taken me one try at every wildstar fight so far to be at the point where I don't get hit by anything at all. Truly, these fights are the action combat revolution. Not your daddys lil wow.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

cathead posted:

(one of the better Esper AMPs gives you a damage buff after dashing)

One of the better amps: a 4% damage buff for 5 seconds after you dash. Less damage than you'd get by simply not dashing at all and casting an extra tk strike instead.

That's actually an amp no one should ever take, there's more than enough amps that increase damage without being so conditional that you don't need to resort to it.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Rhymenoserous posted:

No, how amps are handled are pretty much bullshit. I don't want to go back and farm Level 1-10 rep. There should be a universal rep that brings you up with other factions in other starting zones.

So go buy the amp from the broker for 10 silver.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

cathead posted:

Yeah uh, what are you even talking about? You realize Espers were consistently parsing very high in the 20-man raids in beta, right?

4 months ago with pre-nerf spectral swarm, old amps and a bunch of other stuff that has since changed, for example sweeping changes to other classes

"I don't like this thing!" "No you're wrong!"

jesus calm down.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

cathead posted:

Well OK then I clearly got a different idea of it, probably because I play an Esper!

Hey cathead, espers suck and also can't move

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

alts in Wildstar

sounds really enjoyable

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Is there any mod that just draws a line in front of you (like in Smite) or at least makes a crosshair?

I know deadlock etc make a crosshair but my class can't really use it effectively.

I googled and such and I can't see anything like this at all, I'm legit surprised one doesn't exist

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
yo guys in this game you generally don't actually just want to throw the maximum potential dps on your bar, you want skills that do other stuff also

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

GulMadred posted:

Emphasis on the singular. Your abilities are AOE (fairly large ones at that) and most will hit 5 targets.

"Hits up to 5 targets" is tacked on to almost every ability for every class, this is not something special. AOE is universal.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

First Bass posted:

You have the option to not play a latency-intensive genre of multiplayer game because your Internet is poo poo. Wildstar especially is probably nigh-unplayable with anything over 200 or 300 ms lag, depending on how much of a masochist you are.

Most of the issues people might think are lag related in this game are actually problems pretty much everyone deals with either way, ie: hit detection in pvp. Though 300 is a excessive.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

CrashCat posted:

Maybe that's why I ended up going to all wide AoEs in PvP. I thought I just sucked at aiming but last night Latency Monitor was definitely averaging around 300, and I'm not even in Bumfuck USA.

That's pretty normal I think. Servers just lag for everyone during primetime, with everyone getting much higher ping than they usually have.

I wonder if other games are like this too and just don't show the player?

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Monster Mash posted:

I'm on Caretaker also and nearly every one of our DPS SS (5 of 6) have it without having to buy it from the AH :smug:

Do the Malgrave challenge circle and pray to RNGesus cuz you'll need it.

Where's this "challenge circle?" I feel like praying for 20 plat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Radio Talmudist posted:

I'm starting to get a hang of this. Wildstar was initially almost too overwhelming, but now that I'm slowly leveling I'm taking it all in. I also figured out a way to boost my horrid fps (it was 45 in smaller areas and as low as 19 in huge regions...now it's much better) which obviously made things much more fun.

To those who are intimidated by an MMO, Wildstar has a helpful community and is pretty accessible, even though it throws a lot at you. Just stick with it and you'll grok it soon enough.

What did you do to boost your FPS? Not that I think it'll work for me too, but I'll try anything at this point.

• Locked thread