Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Asema posted:

This is a good argument about what's difficult about World of Warcraft

And a boss video sure is. Good job, Asema. Keep fighting the good fight. This is the wow killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Warning: Blink and you'll blow all of your money on housing.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

THE PWNER posted:

And a boss video sure is. Good job, Asema. Keep fighting the good fight. This is the wow killer.

Nobody in this thread is calling it a WoW killer but if someone calling WoW easy is enough to get you to go full defensive mode about it, then ???

Lionguild
Sep 5, 2013

Phrasing posted:

Warning: Blink and you'll blow all of your money on housing.

Been spending all my gold buying crafting mats for vendor prices with buy orders. Hoping it pays off later.

y_y
Oct 25, 2011

conversationalist

BaconPigbutt posted:

I just reached 17 with my eng and I`m still a little bored with him. All the casting times and just siting there and sprinkling electrocute got old pretty fast, besides the pet are kind of tricky sometimes. I think I`ll roll a warrior for a while and see how it goes...

I quite like the Shotgun build (which becomes viable at 25). This spec makes you more mobile (only a single cast-time spell at the start of combat) as you pretty much only use instants. It also makes resource-management actually interesting. Essentially, you take the 4 point talents in Bio Shell (which makes it instant between 30-70 Volatility) and Bolt Caster (every hit reduces Bio Shell's cool-down).

Chandragupta
Sep 2, 2009
Is there still room on Goon Squad? Someone a few pages back said it was full. I'm in on Warbringer as Kareem, I'll try to shoot a tell to the guys listed in the invites thread on wildstar goons at a more reasonable hour.

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010

Loten posted:

I am currently feeling the same. I really like the idea of a ranged tank and played a bounty hunter in SW:Tor, which was great fun. The bots are a liability and don't seem that effective and I spend a lot of time waiting for abilities/cool downs. Can any high level Engineers comment on if this changes down the track?

How are Warrior/Stalker tanks on the scale of fun?

I played an engi to 20 in beta and tanked both dungeons a couple times, and have a stalker in live up to 19 now. So I haven't done a dungeon yet. I liked tanking on the engi more. The bruiser bot's pathing could be a pain, but he made a great "oh poo poo" button to buy the healer another second or two to land a heal on me. And the tank skills flowed well. The stalker's stealth class skill is not that great in tank stance, and they don't get an actual taunt (i.e. put me on top of the mob's hate list) until level 27. I find its lack very frustrating at times. So hopefully it will get better.

On the other hand, I like DPSing a lot more on the stalker. You rely on impale to generate big hits, but its fun using the other skills to set up more big impales, and you can drop mobs incredibly fast when you do it right.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Asema posted:

Nobody in this thread is calling it a WoW killer but if someone calling WoW easy is enough to get you to go full defensive mode about it, then ???

It's taken me one try at every wildstar fight so far to be at the point where I don't get hit by anything at all. Truly, these fights are the action combat revolution. Not your daddys lil wow.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

THE PWNER posted:

It's taken me one try at every wildstar fight so far to be at the point where I don't get hit by anything at all. Truly, these fights are the action combat revolution. Not your daddys lil wow.

oh for sure man

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
This is a dumb pissing contest and it should make everyone involved feel dumb.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Sinatrapod posted:

This is a dumb pissing contest and it should make everyone involved feel dumb.

I feel like a loving idiot and I scrolled through most of it.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

y_y posted:

I quite like the Shotgun build (which becomes viable at 25). This spec makes you more mobile (only a single cast-time spell at the start of combat) as you pretty much only use instants. It also makes resource-management actually interesting. Essentially, you take the 4 point talents in Bio Shell (which makes it instant between 30-70 Volatility) and Bolt Caster (every hit reduces Bio Shell's cool-down).

uhmm That sounds interesting.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

There was a slumber party at my house, we braided each others hair and talked about boys.

Bonus picture of my good friend Katten and I failing to play DDR in Thayd.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Daemonlasher posted:

So looking at this: http://i.imgur.com/NaNBVbE.jpg I have to ask people who are actually playing the game. How hard is this? Do you have to this this in sequential order? How bad is the poopsock truely. I really want to like Wildstar, I do; but I don't know if I can justify playing a sub-based game when I spend a lot of time practising League to stay competetive and have school/IRL obligations as well.

Let me put it this way - It's doable within 20-30 game hours of hitting 50, depending how fast you farm those gems. That seems pretty reasonable to me.

Yes, it's in sequential order, except for the dominion rep stage (although you'll earn Dominion/Exile rep from more sources at 50 anyway).

Compared to the actual gameplay hours that will go into progression on the first handful of bosses, I don't think the attunemnt time requirement is a meaningful amount.

Pretty sure the vets requirement can be done beforehand too, just a couple of them are quest drops (most notably world event bosses, afaik).

Zoness fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 6, 2014

Alasuojus
Jul 27, 2012
My biggest problem at the moment is choosing a class because I've tried three so far (up to level 10) and I have liked all of them. The stalker can do massive burst and kill any normal mob really quickly. The warrior can just jump in and cleave a bunch of mobs down like nothing. Spellslinger space cowboy thing is cool too. I'm afraid to try more classes because I'll probably enjoy them as well.

I just really wish the game would run better on my PC. My rig is a few years old but meets the recommended specs with Phenom II x4 965, radeon 6870, 8 Gb of memory and SSD but I only get 20-30 frames per second. It's not unplayable but it is annoying. Changing graphics settings from the lowest to medium/high makes no difference. If I crank everything up to max I get around 15 fps.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

panda clue posted:

Yep! New penny arcade, they did wildstar again.

Please stop posting.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

First Bass posted:

Please stop posting.

Hi Imi, is penny arcade your trigger? :rolleyes:

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Wow, it's like someone took a highly voted Reddit comment with a lovely joke in it and turned it into a comic. Do people seriously read this poo poo and find it amusing?!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Daemonlasher posted:

So looking at this: http://i.imgur.com/NaNBVbE.jpg I have to ask people who are actually playing the game. How hard is this? Do you have to this this in sequential order? How bad is the poopsock truely. I really want to like Wildstar, I do; but I don't know if I can justify playing a sub-based game when I spend a lot of time practising League to stay competetive and have school/IRL obligations as well.

To chime in myself: the only truly questionable, poopsocky component of that is the "camp ten world bosses, cupcake" component of it. Yes, it does have to be done in order (with the exception of the rep, and you should be not too far from 32k by the time you hit 50) but a lot of those requirements aren't terribly difficult. For perspective: the second time I ran Hycrest with goons, which was a first time for a few of them, we got gold. Without even meaning to. Yes, it's leveling content versus "veteran" content, but if you are familiar with the content Silver really isn't a very big barrier to cross (and more to the point, if you find yourself personally incapable of hitting it consistently in the Adventures in particular, you need to consider practicing your telegraph avoidance or tune your build before thinking about raiding anyway). The dungeons are a little steeper, but are still quite doable, especially since you are hopefully rolling with folks from a raiding static group or guild - and since you're on SomethingAwful, this goes without saying. :v: And this is all on top of the fact that you'll be running the Adventures and Dungeons for loot and whatnot anyway - the only hitch being that the steps are in order, so if you start silvering the dungeons early on, you'll need to do it one more time for the quest. The rest are just fun one-off events and won't take that long at all.

Now, the boss thing really is terribly poopsocky and moronic, and if you can't play a whole ton each day will probably take as long as every other step combined. Hope you like watching guildchat or dedicated hunting channels like a hawk for world boss spawns. That's the only part of the attunement that truly gives me pause and makes me wonder if I want to bother with it, assuming I even get to 50, between other games and very important videogame projects. :v:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Oh god. :stare:

If you are Chua, do a /cry emote and then jump into a fall-roll while moving forward.

Look closely at your Chua's legs during the 'roll' while still in the crying emote. :laugh:

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jun 6, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Alasuojus posted:

I just really wish the game would run better on my PC. My rig is a few years old but meets the recommended specs with Phenom II x4 965, radeon 6870, 8 Gb of memory and SSD but I only get 20-30 frames per second. It's not unplayable but it is annoying. Changing graphics settings from the lowest to medium/high makes no difference. If I crank everything up to max I get around 15 fps.

I hate to say it but the problem is the PhenomII x4 965. Wildstar, like most mmos, is heavily CPU bound, so an i5 processor like the 4670k would probably increase your frame rates by 50% to 100%. The problem is that upgrading to an intel platform from an amd one means a mobo upgrade too, so you're looking at $300+ to do all of that. You would see a significant performance increase in pretty much everything though.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Trying to PvP as a Spellslinger is like trying to gently caress a greased pig; it's near-impossible to get a grip on anything, and embarrassing for everyone involved. Please sir, sit still while I try and hit you with my foot-wide charge-up ability!

Like, I imagine it would be possible to lone-wolf it if Steering wasn't a buggy piece of poo poo for you.

Badger
Sep 21, 2007
On burrowed time...
Something on boomboxes, I opened one yesterday and got a blue gun for my level. I'm wondering if it might be the case where it's better to wait until 50 to open them up if they are giving "level appropriate" rewards.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Someone said that yes, item rewards from boom boxes scale to your level. So technically it's better to wait until 50.

Then again, gear rewards are pretty much the lemons of boom boxes apart from dyes, which is a lemon soaked in piss. What you should be crossing your fingers for is elder gems, mounts and decor which doesn't care about your level.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

panda clue posted:

Penny Arcade is really bad.

Syrek
Jan 13, 2010

Meeeeeeeeehhh
I dunno 'bout that

Ciaphas posted:

How are people finding this for performance? I'm running a Geforce GTX 760 (2GB I think), 8GB RAM, I5-4570 at 3.2GHz, and at 1920x1080 (native res, my monitor hates resolution changes) I can't quite hit 60 FPS even at ultra low detail settings. I know my system's not top of the line or anything but as assy as ultra-low looks I thought it'd do better than that. :(

Few pages back but it's not too far from my setup. Got a GTX 760 too but with 4GB, 12GB RAM and an i5-2500K at 4gHz, same resolution.
I manage to hold it between 30-60 FPS in most cases depending on how much stuff is going on (there's a shitload of stuff on screen sometimes in this game, it's nuts) and that's with stock graphic settings. I tried adjusting the sliders there but it just seems to make the game look lovely without helping the framerate at all. The only sliders that seem to make a difference are view distance and render quality and I'm not gonna touch that to gain 10 FPS if it's perfectly playable the way it is.

Badger posted:

Something on boomboxes, I opened one yesterday and got a blue gun for my level. I'm wondering if it might be the case where it's better to wait until 50 to open them up if they are giving "level appropriate" rewards.

Well that's new, I haven't really heard of someone getting levelled items from the boxes. Usually it's vanity stuff, furniture, costumes or short-time buffs and the odd Elder Gem inbetween. I really don't want to let them sit around until max level, I love opening presents.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Finally got my raptor mount after learning I shouldn't be salvaging everything and then making money pretty fast. Holy poo poo it's double jump where it just kind of struggles and goes higher is the best thing I have no regrets. :3:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

panda clue posted:

Nobody has ever referred to me by that moniker in my life. Are you retarded?

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

SpaceDrake posted:

Now, the boss thing really is terribly poopsocky and moronic, and if you can't play a whole ton each day will probably take as long as every other step combined. Hope you like watching guildchat or dedicated hunting channels like a hawk for world boss spawns. That's the only part of the attunement that truly gives me pause and makes me wonder if I want to bother with it, assuming I even get to 50, between other games and very important videogame projects. :v:

Uhh, don't the bosses respawn reasonably fast? And I'm pretty sure they're shared credit since most other stuff is in this game so it's not like you have to get first hit on them. Plus you can kill the same ones multiple times for credit it doesn't have to be each of them, which makes it even easier since surely there's going to be at least one up at any given hour most of the time.

I don't know, if all of the above is true then that doesn't really seem that bad to me?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Spacedad posted:

Oh god. :stare:

If you are Chua, do a /cry emote and then jump into a fall-roll while moving forward.

Look closely at your Chua's legs during the 'roll' while still in the crying emote. :laugh:

I'm not seeing it....?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Alasuojus posted:

My biggest problem at the moment is choosing a class because I've tried three so far (up to level 10) and I have liked all of them. The stalker can do massive burst and kill any normal mob really quickly. The warrior can just jump in and cleave a bunch of mobs down like nothing. Spellslinger space cowboy thing is cool too. I'm afraid to try more classes because I'll probably enjoy them as well.

AMD CPUs have an issue it seems.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Wow, it's like someone took a highly voted Reddit comment with a lovely joke in it and turned it into a comic. Do people seriously read this poo poo and find it amusing?!

Considering how much $$ they make, yes.

Syrek
Jan 13, 2010

Meeeeeeeeehhh
I dunno 'bout that

cathead posted:

Uhh, don't the bosses respawn reasonably fast? And I'm pretty sure they're shared credit since most other stuff is in this game so it's not like you have to get first hit on them. Plus you can kill the same ones multiple times for credit it doesn't have to be each of them, which makes it even easier since surely there's going to be at least one up at any given hour most of the time.

I don't know, if all of the above is true then that doesn't really seem that bad to me?

My experience with world bosses is kinda limited as I've only done the Metal Maw fight a few times, but that one seems to be on a respawn timer somewhere around 3 hours and takes about 10 minutes to kill. And that is with appropriate level characters mind you (around level 8-14), so with level 50s joining in the fight is gonna be considerably shorter. In my experience a group is formed pretty much instantly to kill that thing, so as soon as someone announces the spawn you'd have to be on your way and hope to get some hits in.
While it might not be quite that bad, watching chat channels all the time and then running off to the boss like a headless chicken (maybe arriving to a dead boss) x10 sure doesn't sound really fun.

Syrek fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 6, 2014

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

SpaceDrake posted:

so if you start silvering the dungeons early on, you'll need to do it one more time for the quest.
I thought they said that the dungeon and adventure steps were tied to achievements and will automatically complete if you have the achievement...?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Alright. I'm weak willed. I'm in. I'm an AusGoon, so anybody know what guild would be the best way to go? I'm also big on PVP if that helps at all.

*edit*
I remember reading GoonSquad is full. Is that still the case?

tehsid fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jun 6, 2014

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
The quality of life issues are really starting to bug me. Because I hate myself, I decided to use the group finder to complete Kel Voreth last night. Group quality was all over the place, but it's the combination of interface bullshit and constant vanishing/reappearing UI elements that is really starting to drive me nuts. This is feeling like death by a thousand cuts.

How many consumables do I have left? Which one is even queued up for use? Who the gently caress knows?? The element bugged again. I could always /reloadui... but I'm in the middle of a pull and also have chat that I need to read and don't want it wiped forever!

Ok, pull is over, /reloadui and oh look now my chat is full of alien squiggle talk because it AGAIN wiped my preferences for profanity filter. Great, this is my favorite gameplay feature, to constantly go into the settings menu and adjust preferences every single loving time my poo poo bugs out. It also reset the consumable I had chosen to have in the consumable slot, so I guess it's for the best that I waited until the pull was over to check.

Receive another tell, hit control-r to reply (ugh at that shortcut, I should rebind it) and type my reply. Have another thought so I hit enter and begin typing. Since my last chat entry was in the whisper category, it starts another whisper. However, I receive an error because my whisper is formatted incorrectly and the game couldn't loving auto populate my chat partner's name. That's just Great. Receive an account whisper, hit control-r to reply and guess what? DOESNT loving WORK. You can't reply to account whispers! Have to type out the full playername@server every time.

Want to link a cool sword the warrior in the group has equipped. Try every loving variation of shift-click, control-click, everything, cannot get the item to link to chat. Can't link it to him. Apparently you can only link items in your inventory.

Next pull, hey my nameplates just loving vanished. Is it an error? Do I need to zoom in or our to get them to show up? Who the gently caress knows what is going on. Can't tab between the targets in the pull in the short term, have to loving click on the targets. Thank god most of your actual abilities are telegraphs so landing attacks isn't an issue, but it sure would be nice to have those cast bars visible under their nameplates since half the loving challenge of this poo poo is interrupting casts for the massive DPS boost of a moment of opportunity.

Pulls over, /reloadui, reset all my preferences again.

Back in town after the dungeon, want to make a support power weapon for my friend. Can't link the weapon from my crafting schematic page, so I have to actually read off the stats to see if it would be an improvement rather than letting him use the loving game's equipment comparison screen. The weapon also dynamically assigns its total allotment of assault or support power based on the outcome of a random roll for one of the crafting circuit board elements. I can't control this random element outside of starting the craft (which consumes a vendor item), and abandoning the craft. This is next gen poo poo right here let me tell you.

Logged out, came back, preferences are all reset, mount choice is reset. Great. Just great.

The gameplay is fun. Like seriously, when things are working it is one of the most engaging and downright fun experiences. The dungeons engage me in a way I haven't really felt outside of TBC heroics back in the day. It's just that the user experience is so maddeningly and frustratingly inconsistent! It really saps me, especially when trying to focus on something like a dungeon.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Having gotten that out of my system, I will say that this game has a truly gratifying level of complexity. Challenges keep my engaged while questing, group content is challenging but doable. The crafting talents and tech tree is fun to explore and I enjoy that. I think that's the frustrating part, the discrepancy.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

frest posted:

Next pull, hey my nameplates just loving vanished. Is it an error? Do I need to zoom in or our to get them to show up? Who the gently caress knows what is going on. Can't tab between the targets in the pull in the short term, have to loving click on the targets. Thank god most of your actual abilities are telegraphs so landing attacks isn't an issue, but it sure would be nice to have those cast bars visible under their nameplates since half the loving challenge of this poo poo is interrupting casts for the massive DPS boost of a moment of opportunity.

Bijiplates fixed its memory issues and seems to be pretty stable now and I haven't run into any issues with it disappearing, so it may be worth downloading it to see if it helps with this.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

cathead posted:

Bijiplates fixed its memory issues and seems to be pretty stable now and I haven't run into any issues with it disappearing, so it may be worth downloading it to see if it helps with this.

I was using the most recently updated version of Bijiplates actually.

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.

First Bass posted:

Nobody has ever referred to me by that moniker in my life. Are you retarded?

I'm really confused and disturbed. Woe is the day that Alenn and I get confused by somebody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013

Same, simple stuff is a chore. I still don't know how to resize my chatbar, i still didn't know how to reply, i still don't know how to link items, i still don't know alot very basic stuff because in this game everything has to be special and different. Yay. Very annoying.

• Locked thread