Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Lets have a poll to see which thread has been the most entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Anyone who played a medic much in beta, did you also use steer or was it more trouble than it's worth? I liked steer when I was playing spellslinger, but I could see it getting awkward when using all of the medics aoe abilities. Is there a way to make it worthwhile or should I just not bother with it?

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

BQuietNDrive posted:

Aurin had 20% before someone screwed with the poll.

I have to convince myself Aurin being at 20% was someone screwing with the poll for the sake of my sanity.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm pretty sure only the pvp guild will have enough people to do raids, so keep that in mind.

I'm pretty sure about half the goons wanted to play on a pve server, so keep that in mind.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

RiffRoff posted:

I really hope we have a big enough base of players who want to do both to keep both active. I'd hate to have to merge with pubbies.

Well having people post that the exile guild won't be big enough to raid so you might as well come play on the pvp server isn't helping that goal.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Nobody is trying to debate pve vs pvp, just cut out the loving "oh forget those pve nubs nobody is going to play there, pvp is where the cool kids are at :c00l:" whenever anyone says they don't want to play on a pvp server.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

a cat on an apple posted:

If there's anything I've learned the past few weeks, it's that goons can't read.

Why read when you can just make a poll?

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Another question about paths, are the missions and such dependant on a certain path level? Lets say I start in Deradune and completely ignore my path until level 20, can I suddenly start doing path poo poo in whatever zone is appropriate at level 20, or is it going to tell me to go back and kill/collect/scan/explore poo poo in Deradune?

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

I've changed my mind on what race, class, and server I want to play on about 7 times this past week, this game just needs to come out so I can make up my drat mind :psyduck:

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Ad by Khad posted:

Healing doesn't really open up until you can start doing 5mans at level 15, and you get dual-spec at 15. My advice would be to make sure you try out healing once you reach that point though, because healing as a medic is unique in a way that not everyone likes. I went full-on healer medic and it turned me off of the game completely.

What about medic healing turned you off? I'm going back and forth about rolling a medic or a spellslinger, so I'm interested to hear the pros and cons of both.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Windchilla posted:

If you're planning on PvPing I'll tell you that killing a Spellslinger is WAY easier for me as a Warrior or Stalker than killing a Medic. Spellslinger has more mobility, but less area denial and they seem a lot more squishy. Medic can't so much escape the meleers, but they heal through the damage very well and can put down some damage/snare of their own in large patches of ground.

I'm more worried about PvE content. Medic looks like it could play a part in healing a raid, but in a dungeon I'm worried that it would be like trying to heal a wow dungeon with nothing but healing rain, which sounds kind of awful.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Ad by Khad posted:

If your group doesn't specifically cater to your T-rex armed healing style they will end up seriously dead. Typically in previous MMOs, telling your group they have to play differently because you heal a certain way has not gone well (monks in heroic 10-mans).

People in this thread have compared medic healing to herding cats, but it's really herding ping pong balls that bounce around in every direction and then blame -you- when they die. Having zero targeted heals means that your tank can gently caress himself over large by running away from you when in his mind he was just dodging red, and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it except watch him die.

You'll want a few of them in raids if they keep their throughput-heavy melee-healing niche, but their only smart heal is super-weak and their targeted heals don't exist, so the heavy lifting job of stabilizing people that are low is going to have to be done by someone else. Having high throughput means less people will be low in the first place, but unless you make your ranged group up to cater to their T-rex arms they can't hit everyone. In terms of raiding they remind me of EQ1 shamans; they can heal and they have an important role, but they can't heal a raid by themselves and you wouldn't want to stack them.

If you're interested in medic I would suggest taking it to 15 and trying out healing with it. If you can watch your tank dodge-roll out of your crisis wave, then do it again, then watch him die because you have no Chi, if after all that you still want to play a medic I say go for it. For me it felt too powerless; there were no badass moments of saving the group and hitting big numbers, no ability to plan ahead when you can't predict who will eat the red (or whether the person will even be in range), no special tricks to change your playstyle (though I was low level, I don't know if this opens up more) - it was all chasing ping pong balls around and playing catch-up. I've done a lot of healing since I started raiding in 2000 and medics turned me off in a way no other healing class ever has.

That pretty much confirms my doubts on them, think I'll start as spellslinger.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Ugh why is everyone trying to make me be indecisive again after I made up my mind.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

That kind of makes me want to play on the pvp server...

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

panda clue posted:

This is probably the best MMO to come out in years, so if you're at all interested in the genre, go for it.

I know people say "oh man this is the best mmo in years, wow killer!!" for almost every single MMO release, but this one is actually quite impressive and well polished all around. I haven't seen this much polish in an MMO outside of WoW.

I'm just glad I resisted the urge to try ESO while waiting for Wildstar, poo poo sounds horrendous.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

WarLocke posted:

I'm not even sure why circles have leader/officer/member distinctions but now I need rank names for Nexus Housing Authority (16 characters max) and I don't speak red tape :saddowns:

The highest rank should be Donald Trump and the lowest rank should be Donald Trump's hair.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Dr Snofeld posted:

Well apart from enjoying it from time to time, people who take RP in an MMO super seriously can be fun to observe. I played on WoW's Argent Dawn server, which is the EU equivalent of Moon Guard, and you couldn't move without tripping over another Game of Thrones inspired NOBLE HOUSE SUPER SERIOUS guild that doesn't mesh with the setting at all. I'm kind of curious to see what the Wildstar equivalent will be.

I want to roleplay a smuggler who got on the wrong ship in Coruscant and wound up on Nexus, just to see nerd heads explode.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Paths also give a costume, so keep that in mind if you want to play dress up. I really didn't care much about paths until I saw the scientist costumes.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Yaos posted:

From what I've read and seen in videos the game is pretty brutal even if you're not mentally challenged. I'm afraid to go into instanced content because I'll probably suck at it.

I queued as a healer for the first adventure yesterday having never healed before. It was a bit rocky at first and there were a couple deaths I probably could have prevented, but by the end I was getting the hang of all my abilities and how to use them. Don't let the "omg hardcore" stories keep you from trying the content.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

At the risk of sounding like a huge nerd, I think I'd describe exiles as chaotic good and dominion as lawful evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Harrow posted:

How's life on Evindra? My desire to play Exile and also play with goons may override my desire to be on a PvP server, but I don't know about the RP server thing. I know it's early, but how're things going?

I was a bit worried about the RP server and getting yelled at by a bunch of Aurin in skimpy outfits for naming my character Seymourbuttz and ruining their immersion, but it's pretty much just a normal PvE server with some RPers who go off and do their own thing on a housing plot somewhere. Space Jam is an awesome group so far, so come on and slam.

• Locked thread