Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Levitate posted:

dang dude :(

The lockout immediately after the '94 cup was a killer, and '94 itself was special in a lot of ways, can't really hope to compare this run to that.

I think if the Rangers won you'd see a pretty big explosion in fandom

All the fresh LA fans got to sit through a big lovely lockout too, which didn't help their attention spans. At least the media can actually pronounce our players' names correctly this year. The two sports reporters for KTLA often come to the bar I watch from to see games, and they're surprisingly knowledgeable. The days of Brad Doty and Andy Kopidor are behind us :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

n: no hockey tonight means no gdt

v: i don't know where to post after i get drunk :smith:

The Howl of the GBS is calling out to you

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

yeah tbh i'll probably just wind up in the MLB gifs thread. i don't even like baseball but that thread is hilarious

Hell yeah that thread rules.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The average ticket price for game 1 in LA is $790. I thought that was insane until they mentioned that the average ticket price for game 3 in NY is $1631. :psyduck:

I saw a report somewhere saying that it would be cheaper for a New Yorker to fly to LA, get a room for 2 nights, and a ticket to watch the game here.

It reminds me of when the Kings were playing Phoenix in the 2012 WCF, and Kings fans were driving six hours to Jobing.com Arena because they couldn't even sell out to the home crowd and the tickets were heavily deflated. It was less of a pain in the rear end, to spend half a day on the road, than it was to find tickets to the games at Staples.

I kinda miss the days when it was $30 to get into the 300 section at Staples and then find some empty seats in the 100's. I like having a championship team more overall, but I gotta admit, I went to a lot more games when the Kings weren't as good.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

AngryBooch posted:

Joke's totally on the Rangers if Jones gets to play with the way Quick played in the first three rounds.

Yeah Jones was legit in the regular season. I guess we'll see if he's legit in the postseason too, provided Quick leaving wasn't just a precaution.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Rotten Cookies posted:

If LA loses, the LAPD have to start another race war in their city. If NY loses, TWA Flight 800 pt II.

The loser has to give the winning town their worst sports team. NY gets the Kiss, or LA gets the Mets.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

EVGA Longoria posted:

I would straight up trade the Jets for the Kiss. Send the Jets to the AFL where they belong and get those :krad: Kiss uniforms the national exposure they so deserve.

No, you just get the Kiss. Figure out what to do with your stupid Jets :colbert:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Sir Unimaginative posted:

How does Chivas miss the hook in your scenario?

Because you're using specifically worst rather than least good and after MLS compulsory-bought-out Vergara Chivas is merely aggressively mediocre rather than a latino supremacist reserve side for Guadalajara?

Also don't be so hasty, we COULD use the Jets to troll everyone.

Including LA, given a name change.

"Introducing your Los Angeles~~~~~ Oilers!"

I don't know enough about Soccer, only that it bores me. Hell I forgot Chivas is even a team before you mentioned it. And I don't want a pro football team here, although if there had to be one, it should go for maximum trolling effort with the name.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Heading over to Big Wangs to watch the big game :dong:

Before you all talk about how gay that sounds, this is in North Hollywood, not West Hollywood. And their chicken tenders are drat tasty.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
They call the hot sauce "Wang Sauce" too. I like to think they're trolling the homophobic UFC crowd that piles in on fight nights.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
What do you think this is, Canadia? We bust some ranch all over the place. Oddly enough they do serve poutine. Maybe it's a front for the Maple Syrup Mafia

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
That game could have gone either way. If every game is like that I'm going to be happy, until I die of cardiac arrest.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

MaoistBanker posted:

I live about a mile from there, their wings are garbage, go to Ye Rustic Inn on Hillhurst. Best drat wings anywhere and they play the game audio throughout the whole bar.

You're thinking of the wrong Big Wangs. That's the original, and it looks like a crusty dive bar inside. The one I go to is in Noho; it's much newer, has like 75 TVs, pipes in the game audio loud and clear, and IMO has a better staff.

I used to go to a place called Champs because I live close by it (As seen on Bar Rescue!). It still kinda sucks. Really though, my favorite sports bar ever is this place owned by former pitcher Jeff Suppan.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

It's an apt description, Kopitar looks like loving Dracula.

Re: NY Speed Advantage, it sure was scary to see those breakaways. However, I think the Kings will adjust. They always do. They may not be able to eliminate the risk completely, but they'll find a way to manage it to a reasonable level. Tightening up the passing is step one. Their puck movement was shakier than it was against Chicago.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Agree 100% with this part. I've seen it the whole playoffs, Kings know how to build momentum throughout a game like it is an art.

The media grabbed on to the unkillable cockroach analogy but I prefer to call them a horde of zombies for this very reason :v:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

MaoistBanker posted:

Nay, I'm thinking of the right one. Across from the Federal, next to Panda Express. Still garbage! /wings chat
Then why recommend a place that's closer to the old one :argh:. I'll be honest, I don't go anywhere for their wings, I just want a good place to watch the game. I will have to check Ye Rustic Inn out sometime though, I've been to Fred62 a bunch for late-night grub but never even heard of that spot, and it's right around the corner.

Back on the topic of hockey, have 15 minutes of the best of Darryl Sutter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1umjn9m_Rc

The Casualty fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 5, 2014

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

AngryBooch posted:

KAS is like 5 guys and a Red Wings fan.

No no, a hot wings fan.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Lost Season posted:

N: The Kings have not held a lead in 229 minutes and 15 seconds, when Duncan Keith tied game 6 of the Western Conference Finals. The Kings have played three complete games in that stretch, winning all three and taking a 2-0 lead in the Cup Finals.

V: The Kings own, gently caress the Kings.

Offense wins games, trolling wins championships.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

i mean i fully realize it's easy for me to say this given my team is out, but i really think the 3rd kings goal was a toss up. i wouldnt be happy about it, but if that's enough for my team to blow the lead and then lose then i'm probably going to be more pissed at my team than the refs

i mean in this case i wouldn't be pissed at my team because they've done a great job keeping up with a superior opponent (not being sarcastic, they really have), but any time you start whining about refs i think you gotta check yo self

e: also i think it's weird to hear everyone be like 'yeah it's just amazing that the kings have had such great luck all playoffs and all the calls and bounces go their way'. imo that's a butthurt way of saying they've been the best team -- they seem luckier because they're in positions to get lucky (aww yeah) more often. and good god i never would have expected to be defending and kind of cheering for the kings 2 months ago. life is weird

Maybe people aren't full of poo poo when they say having good possession creates more scoring chances :smug:

Plus it isn't like the Kings haven't been really unlucky at points too. They've given up some goals and lost games on some really crazy bounces, deflections, or wrong-place-wrong-timey stuff. That's the nature of the game. I think the team's mental toughness is a bigger factor than their good or bad luck. Their ability to bounce back from hardship is unrivaled.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Meanwhile, I don't think his stats show it but Rick Nash has been playing great this round and last.

I just checked and while he's 1st in playoff shots, his S% is only 3.9.

I hope he didn't catch the Gomez curse :ohdear:

He had a hilarious number of shots before scoring a goal in the Montreal series, didn't he?

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Rutkowski posted:

Do this and then make Torts a ref.

"No, you're a bad call, Jonesey! You gently caress!"

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

onemillionzombies posted:

From what I've read on twitter the Rangers are talking a bit about bad bounces and puck luck today, does that sound like a confident winning mentality?

Whatever works for people works, but putting any blame of a loss on luck or lack thereof has never been conducive to winning for me.

Contrast that line of thought to what happened back in late April, when Kings players still had that "win one game at a time" mentality despite some downright crushing losses to the Sharks. Of course, there was some luck involved in their comeback, but probably no more luck than the Sharks had in blowing them out for two games. Luck doesn't keep someone or some team from giving up, only mental discipline does. It's hard to honestly believe that you can make up a three game deficit, but if you can then you're going to play like it.

If the Rangers feel like this:

Surfing Turtle posted:

so snake bit that they've become disillusioned
Then they have no hope

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Rutkowski posted:

Uhh not really, I wouldn't even say he is a top 5 skilled defender.

Is there some other league I'm not watching that makes the NHL look scrub-tier or something?

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
If you can't find a statistcal reason to like Doughty then I'd like to remind you that there's some things you just can't put on paper, like his effectiveness against Shane Doan's weak takedown defense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9szMtkCSLaA

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

deafmute posted:

AV hasn't told Daniel Carcillo if he'll get to play tonight yet. He can't be worse than Brad Richards so it's worth a shot :unsmith:
He knows the Kings' system, so if this is a movie about the Rangers, he'll be the unexpected lynchpin in a comeback, because he knows the one way to rattle Quick or some bullshit.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Mr. Kite posted:

OldSenileGuy said he was going to kill St. Louis' dad if the Rangers were having trouble. So much like the Rangers themselves, he is terrible at finishing.

He probably forgot

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Kwik posted:

That's a new one.

In any event, this had to be the "Hank's gonna steal a game" win for the Rangers. It is nice, ensures that the series doesn't end in a sweep, but man alive, that whole "don't get a shot on goal until halfway through the 3rd period" thing really isn't a viable long-term strategy. Something's gotta click, maybe something as stupid as a bounce leading to a cheap goal, otherwise, sooner or later the Kings are just gonna strangle the life out of this series.

But, at the same time, for the Kings, that whole "don't let someone up off the mat" theory has gotta at least be in the back of their minds- if this one goes back to MSG, then it's gonna go 7, and all bets are off. I still don't think that will happen, LA probably wins it at home on Friday, but if the Rangers get the bounces, then things get pretty drat interesting.

Hank stole this game because he scuffed the ice in his crease really loving hard.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

sweet thursday posted:

I'd like to know his pre-game mental routine

AV builds a rhinoceros out of pucks and Chris Kreider, and launches it right into him

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Ginette Reno posted:

It's a little annoying to watch other team's with good goalies sit on leads and get hammered with shots and yet win because their goalies don't suck.

The Pens try to do the same thing and blow leads all the time because Maf sucks and then the narrative becomes that the Pens don't know how to play d when the Rangers do the same poo poo but it works because Lundqvist is a golden god.

I actually think the Rangers have a slight slight chance at coming back. They haven't played that bad.

Also the Kings inherited all that offensive bad luck that the Rangers had in the previous games. Shots off the post, two pucks getting through and coming to a stop right on the goal line, open net misses, it was frustrating to watch. Not taking anything away from Lundqvist though, he was very good. He certainly bounced back from Game 3.

I have faith that the Kings will win game 5, but I'm also nervous because they seem to play slightly worse at Staples for some inexplicable reason. Maybe they thrive on discomfort or something. I don't know.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Rotten Cookies posted:

Bad news: Tonight I'm bartending for a wedding that rented our place out. So I wouldn't be able to watch the game.

Good news: They are hardcore Rangers fans, so they are bringing TVs on which to watch the game.

I hope they happy-drink so they can happy-tip. Sooo... Let's go Rangers. Also, if the Rangers are playing an awful game/lose, I don't think I can resist the temptation of an entire bar that can drown my sorrows.

I'm working at a bar in LA tonight so I'm hoping for the exact opposite!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
I was at work so I didn't get to catch the GDT in real time, but I was working in front of a bunch of TVs so I got to see the game winner and dance around like a lunatic high fiving everyone.

• Locked thread