Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Mr. Kite posted:

LA just needs a few more Cups and the fans will come rolling in.

"A few more" he says. poo poo if you dropped a Cup in Columbus right now and never let them have another for 40 loving years, they'd still be sold out from here to eternity. LA Fans are well beyond jaded about hockey and that's unlikely to change in our lifetimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Furious Lobster posted:

Counterpoint: there are two professional sports teams in Columbus and they've been there for barely longer than a fart in the wind. LA has just so many other teams with rich histories and lots of championships. Terrible comparison.

You see it's called compare and contrast. If I used a team's fanbase that was just like LA, what would that show? The reasons for LA fans being jaded are kind of moot. It'd take a whole shitload to create a healthy fanbase there.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah, look what one cup did for Pittsburgh and Chicago. They're two of the biggest markets in hockey and don't look to be cooling off any time soon. If LA couldn't develop a fan base after 2012, I don't think another one will change things substantially.

New York is largely in the same situation. There was a spike of interest in 94, but it faded quickly. Tickets might be expensive, but as I understand it the hype in the city is still fairly muted. All it will take is the Jets to sign a new running back or the Yankees to go on a 5 game winning streak for everyone to forget about hockey again.

Yeah, I agree. New York is jaded in a whole other way, though. They sell out almost every home game and save a dip here or there have since '94. And this will continue. Their problem is that they'll leave one-goal games like idiots or they'll be quiet as church mice if things aren't going exactly their way. It makes us look bad on TV and poo poo, but whatever, they still spend their money.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

The only funny controversy over this Cup vis a vis Vancouver is when the Rangers were sucking rear end early in the season there were plenty of Vancouver fans lording it over us as if we had gotten the wrong end of that swap. I don't want to name names, but I will if any of you (you know who you are) get uppity!

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

And that's why I always say, "gently caress The Juice!"

Well I say it for other reasons, but it applies here.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

deafmute posted:

AV winning the Cup after being fired by Vancouver is probably the storyline being ran with :shrug:

Looking forward to lots of Torts faces looking all ashamed.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

The Casualty posted:

All the fresh LA fans got to sit through a big lovely lockout too, which didn't help their attention spans. At least the media can actually pronounce our players' names correctly this year. The two sports reporters for KTLA often come to the bar I watch from to see games, and they're surprisingly knowledgeable. The days of Brad Doty and Andy Kopidor are behind us :v:

A bold prediction.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

DOOMocrat posted:

After Game 3 when Montreal's antagonistic play was causing the Rangers to take more penalties. After the Prust hit, really. The trick against teams that draw you off your game with grind hitting or general shenanigans is to ignore em', which I think the Rangers can do against LA.

Whatever. Prust pretend-hit a dude so pretend-hard he had to go get pretend surgery. That'd make me pretty mad too. For real.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

deafmute posted:

The Kings are taking the whole "give the Rangers nothing" thing a little bit too far

Kings "Fans" dot jaypeg

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

LmaoTheKid posted:

Sorry dude but you need to read a bit more about the NFL and concussions. Wayyyyyyyyy worse IMO.

I think his point is that for a long period of time, no one was slimier than the NHL. Don't put wings and a halo on the pig quite yet.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

a false posted:

dan girardi with the ol Campoli Special there

gently caress DAN GIRARDI

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I'd feel bad for him if it were the first time he did that exact same thing in the game.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

It's one game where for stretches the Kings were vastly outplayed and won in overtime. It's way too early to say the Rangers are done, let alone that a sweep is inevitable. Rein it in bucko.

Somehow I expect your imperative will have about as much success as his prediction.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

The Kings simply don't have an answer for the speed of the Rangers. When the Rangers were using it (via good puck possession and capitalizing on turnovers) the Kings had to make risky borderline penalties to counter. There are at least 3 dudes on the Rangers faster than any dude on the Kings, save Gaborik who will likely only use his speed offensively.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

^^^ How many times did Hagelin make the Kings look like fools last night when he busted out of the zone?

Furious Lobster posted:

Still really new about hockey so foot-in-mouth statements otherwise, if the subject is avoidable goals, wouldn't the two goals by the Rangers also fall into that category? Doughty made a turnover that shouldn't have happened and the other goal was a misfortunate bounce/deflection? off of Voynov's skate that would have been a save otherwise. Looking back at the game, it seemed like the Rangers' goals were by chance or a rare mistake from a fairly good player and nothing really happened because of their skills or abilities.

Capitalizing on a mistake IS a skill. The first goal came from that and utilizing speed and a good shot. The second goal was very flukey, obviously since it was an own goal. But it was directly caused by a play that Hagelin's speed broke and the Kings had to spazz out to get back, causing yet another mistake.

And besides, there's only one kind of goal and that's the one that goes in. They all count the same.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Furious Lobster posted:

Ok, it makes a lot of sense to limit the proximate cause analysis of goals because then otherwise it would be a giant mess but I'm still wondering why Tailored Sauce made a comment about the avoidability of Stepan's giveaway if the large majority of goals is made on one's ability to capitalize on a mistake? I mean are there mistakes and then MISTAKES and if so did Stepan commit the latter (still not sure what Stepan did)?

This isn't hard, dude. Just as capitalizing on other's mistakes is a skill, so too is limiting your own. There are parts of the ice that are particularly dangerous at different times, but sufficed to say the closer you are to your own net, the more a turnover is going to hurt you. Stepan gave the puck away at the absolute wrong time and it cost him. What DyneAvenger said sort of applies here, but sometimes it's a clearcut case of: If you didn't do X, then Y wouldn't have happened. And that's what happened with Stepan and I'll say to a lesser degree the Doughty giveaway. And I say to a lesser degree because he gave the puck away in his offensive zone and there was a lot more ice between the Ranger and the net whereas Stepan gave it away right in his own back yard.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

If you didn't wake up and immediately vomit pure bile out of nervousness, you're not a real fan.

If you slept, you're not a real fan.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

Do alcohol induced comas count as sleep?

My research on the matter says no they don't count as sleep because they are totally involuntary because the drinking is also totally involuntary.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Girardi is (usually) very sound positionally. No, he is not fast nor is he particularly good with his stick as we've seen in this series. He is actually very strong and I've seen him stand up lots of dudes bigger than he is at the Blue Line. He's a reliable, nearly invincible (injury wise) second pairing d-man. He is also playing like absolute garbage in every regard in this series. I don't want him off the team, but I wish the Rangers paid him a bit less.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I'm going to make a dumb comparison, but to me Doughty skates like Gretzky. He's not fast at all, but he's very agile and super-adept with the puck on his stick.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

NERDS!!

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

I'd wear a Rangers 2014 Stanley Cup Champions hat if I knew a way to get them out of Africa.

It'd be funny to walk through the streets of LA decked out in full Rangers 2014 SCF Champs gear only to have no one notice ever.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I hear smog is very good for the skin.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Geez, 5 hours with no posts. It's like someone is going to die today.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Levitate posted:

Is Rick Nash's mom still alive?

Probably, but that can be fixed.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

So does Sather have to kidnap Richards and hold him in a padded room until Friday night, or are we safe as long as he doesn't injure himself on the ice?

I'd be willing to bet that off-ice injuries don't count.

Which begs certain questions. Certain deliciously evil questions.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

a false posted:

this was easily the worst game they played this series

I don't know, it was up there with Game 3. But yeah, it was kinda bad.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

LmaoTheKid posted:

Just take it one game at a time. Lean on Hank, I don't give a poo poo. Get outshot, get lucky, who cares, just keep it going please.

I was going to add: sacrifice lots of baby goats to SATAN.

EDIT: Or Brad Richards.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Guignol posted:

Rangers need to win one more so I can see Gary get booed at MSG
I have to see him get booed to feel good about this year

This is by far the most shameful thing about LA Fans.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

LmaoTheKid posted:

No, the Kings have it still, and Im mad, and complaining about it, because thats what Rangers fans do.

I too detest entropy!!!!!!

I mean, gently caress it, right?!@?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

MaoistBanker posted:

I actually think the Kings will win this in Game 6. They just haven't had the same killer focus and mentality in home games this post-season. Lost Game 3 against SJ, Lost Games 3-4 at home against Anaheim. They could have eliminated the Blackhawks in Game 6 at home. I just don't know.

People are talking about how bad the Rangers looked (and they did) but I have to say the Kings didn't look nearly as good as they have in this series so far. In fact, they really only seemed to have a handful of moments when they could pull it all together and look like the Kings.

The Rangers, meanwhile, looked like jello in a microwave.

• Locked thread