Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
(And without all the anime minuses. I'm sorry, nobody likes constant five-minute internal monologues by the main characters.)

The series is loosely based on the movie Legion, and while it's a good movie, it's more of a horror/comedy one then sci-fi/epic drama that the show is. Watching it is no requirement for watching this.

DOMINION asks one simple question: What if angels were real?

Wait, no there's another, what if they also hated our guts?

25 years ago, God disappeared. His angels held man responsible, and declared war on humanity. The Archangel Gabriel led this war of extermination, hoping to rid the world of humans and claim dominion over it. Some higher angels refused to take sides, but the lower angels joined Gabriel. These lesser spirits lacked bodies, so their first line of attack was to steal ours.

But Michael, the greatest of all Archangels, chose to fight for man. With his help, the survivors struck back, and built strongholds to defend themselves.

Soon, word spread of a baby Michael had saved, a child who would grow up to be mankind's savior. This chosen one would be known by the markings on his body.

Finally, Gabriel and his army retreated, and we were left with the realization that not only are angels real, they are our most hated enemies.

------------------

"Whoa," I hear you saying, "this sure sounds like some cliche chosen one poo poo". Well, forget about that, it's arguably the most boring part of the storyline.

The rest is totally awesome:

- Angels are actually, for the first time, presented like the Bible has them to be. Merciless army of God, not some winged saviors who look after little children. The lower "dogs of heaven" are more like demons if anything, and the higher ones are otherworldly alien warriors. There's only one "good" angel, and he is not a nice guy either.

- Seriously, the angels are terrifying.

- There is political intrigue and fascinating mythos crafted around the post-apocalyptic world people now live in.

- Great action scenes.

- Awesome special effects/music.

- Humanity fights the angels with modern weaponry and tactics and it is exactly as badass as it sounds.

- Ridiculously attractive eyecandy no matter what your preference is.

------------------
MORE
------------------

Here's all the background you need. Somebody at Syfy really pulled out all stops with this one:
http://www.syfy.com/enterdominion/?chapter=1

------------------
CHARACTERS
------------------

VEGA

Vega (Former Las Vegas) is the greatest of the surviving human strongholds and the home of Michael. It's also a totalitarian dystopia where every citizen is given a number based on their importance to the survival of humanity and where free will is non-existant.

Alex Lannon (Christopher Egan)

Abandoned by his father, Jeep, at a young age, Alex became a soldier He rose through the ranks to join the Archangel Corps, an elite unit responsible for the protection of Vega's aristocracy. Through his assignment to House Riesen, Alex developed a secret relationship with Claire Riesen, daughter of the Lord Of The City (General Riesen). Often rebellious, Alex tries to balance his sense of duty with his need for freedom.

Michael (Tom Wisdom)

The Archangel Michael, a legendary warrior throughout history, was the only angel to take humanity's side during the Extermination War, turning against his own kind. Always inscrutable, Michael has watched over Alex his entire life, but is just now beginning to understand the complexities of having such a close relationship with humans.

General Riesen (Alan Dale)

General Riesen led humanity in the Extermination War twenty-five years ago, and today leads the city of Vega as Lord Of The City. A paragon of strength and duty, Riesen helped build Vega, and imposed a class system as a way to keep order and ensure the city's survival.

Secretary David Whele (Anthony Head)

As the Secretary of Commerce, David Whele is the chief administrator of Vega and the second most powerful leader in the city. A ruthless and cunning political operator, the ambitious David is always on the hunt to keep or grow his power... by any means necessary.

Claire Riesen (Roxanne McKee)

Daughter of General Riesen, Claire is next in line for her father's position as Lord Of The City. She is beloved by the people and always does her best to watch out for the city's lower classes despite her sheltered and privileged upbringing. Secretly in love with Alex.

William Whele (Luke Allen Gale)

The son of David Whele, William is Vega's Principate. Specifically, he's the religious leader of the Church of The Savior, the religion that has grown since the Extermination War all based around the concept of "The Chosen One." Kind hearted to his flock, he is very much in love with Claire Riesen and welcomes their betrothal, even if he admits it is a political move by their fathers.

Arika (Shivani Gai)

Arika arrives in Vega as part of a negotiating party from the mysterious fortified city of Helena (Montana). A stranger in a strange land, she shares a clandestine relationship with David Whele.

Senator Becca Thorn (Rosalind Halstead)

As one of General Riesen's consuls in the Senate, Becca Thorn is one of the most powerful leaders in Vega, overseeing all scientific and medical personnel in the city. She acts as confidant to General Riesen; a close friend to Claire Riesen; and carries on a forbidden affair with Michael that involves stronger feelings than even she may be comfortable with.

---------------------------

The first episode is available on Syfy's site for Americans. Blew me away for sure.
http://www.syfy.com/now/dominion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The way the movie ends makes it seem like God didn't disappear at all, and when Michael showed him that humanity was worth saving, he called off Gabriel and the angels. I mean, Michael gets killed and then is sent back down in full archangel gear to fight Gabriel, so I assumed that meant God was still up there.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, this is pretty clearly borrowing lot of ideas/characters from the movie but has its own continuity. Instead of God being pissed off at humanity he simply disappears, and instead of being sent by God, Gabriel acts on his own volition. Also, there was a big nuclear war that wiped out most of humanity/angels as well, where Gabriel was thought to perish.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 26, 2014

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
I enjoyed the pilot, with all the recent utter drek SyFy has been putting out it was pretty unexpected and hopefully a sign of things to come. Didn't catch the nuclear war thing at all.

I can't remember any of the characters names though so the main guy is Matt Damon and the good angel is Keanu Reeves.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
I like Michaels actor, but the pilot was loving horrible. Also lol @ syfy running spartacus

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Chris Egan is great and this show is pretty good. Also it looks like it actually has a budget. Can't wait to see how long until it's unwatchable though. The actor that played Michael is terrible though and was the worst part of the pilot.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Why did they institute a caste system in Vega and have a totalitarian dictator? I get that you probably have to suspend some liberties during the war for the survival of mankind but why do you have to be a dick to orphans?

And why does Michael have orgies in his tower if he does not enjoy having sex?

And those "lesser angels" were more like demons really.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

GaussianCopula posted:

And why does Michael have orgies in his tower if he does not enjoy having sex?

It's not that doesn't enjoy sex it that he hates himself for sinning.

I found this show to be bad and dumb, but in a sort of engrossing way so I think I'm going to keep watching to see how far down the rabbit hole goes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Poison fingernails seems like a kind of last ditch thing.

Also, guess we're getting a BSG "who is a Cylon" thing with secret angels.

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Big fan of Legion so I'll watch this. Cheesy like you would expect from sy-fy though but not too bad

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
hey guys im going to shoot this angel-zombie-thing about a half dozen times in my house, but blood isn't going to get anywhere, k ready?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
what the gently caress is up w/ the main dude's eyelashes

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I really liked Legion. Just a fun movie, will definitely check this out.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The OP makes this sound kinda interesting. Even though you don't HAVE to watch the movie is the movie still worth watching? Like, worth watching because it's a legit good movie with interesting plot and characters and whatnot, not like "oh ho ho ho that one scene in that movie makes the whole movie worth it just because of that one scene ho ho ho I am autistic probably."

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
this show is bloody awful. But the chicks have nice butts.

Sold.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Drifter posted:

The OP makes this sound kinda interesting. Even though you don't HAVE to watch the movie is the movie still worth watching? Like, worth watching because it's a legit good movie with interesting plot and characters and whatnot, not like "oh ho ho ho that one scene in that movie makes the whole movie worth it just because of that one scene ho ho ho I am autistic probably."

Well there's a scene where this really tiny nice old lady is eating a raw steak and calls someone a oval office before going all zombie angel.

But no the movie is just so-so. It's just the back story for the show that's already been established in the pilot so you're not really missing much. I do admit the angel fighting is way better in the movie. When Gabriel and Michael fight it out the whole angel wings as blades thing is kind of badass.

cochise fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 27, 2014

powers
Jul 26, 2005

The Maller is an Amarrian frigate, used by hotdroppers.

~SMcD

DarkCrawler posted:

Senator Becca Thorn (Rosalind Halstead)
carries on a forbidden affair with Michael that involves stronger feelings than even she may be comfortable with.

Can we get some nephalim up in this bitch?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I like the how so far, apart from Anthony Stewart Head's american accent.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The second episode wasn't as good as the pilot, but I'm definitely going to keep watching.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Feedin' dead people to lions and Amber orgies.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Isn't "Attack on Titan with Angels" just Neon Genesis Evangelion? Ep. 1 checks all the boxes of SyFyllis drek but giant robots couldn't hurt. Not a single good thing out of that channel since BSG went off the air.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

DeusExMachinima posted:

Isn't "Attack on Titan with Angels" just Neon Genesis Evangelion? Ep. 1 checks all the boxes of SyFyllis drek but giant robots couldn't hurt. Not a single good thing out of that channel since BSG went off the air.

The first season of Alphas was pretty good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

David D. Davidson posted:

The first season of Alphas was pretty good.

Both seasons were. And Haven is really good, but it's hardly sci-fi at all. Which is probably why I like it so much.

bryn987
May 31, 2014

Pinwiz11 posted:

The second episode wasn't as good as the pilot, but I'm definitely going to keep watching.

agreed

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Last night during Continuum Syfy was hyping the hell out of next week's episode.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Michael in the show is doing his best Paul Bettany from the movie impression and it's really, really bad. It reminds me of the From Dusk Til Dawn show where the guy is doing his best Clooney impression.

Anthony Head's accent is somehow even worse.

I think I like most everything else. This feels like they are mixing the movie with Dune with the house vs house plans within plans bullshit and a lot of it seems cool enough to put up with the horrendous acting of some of the actors.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Deadpool posted:

Both seasons were. And Haven is really good, but it's hardly sci-fi at all. Which is probably why I like it so much.

I probably shouldn't judge SyFy too much since I reeeally enjoy Metal Hurlant Chronicles.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm pretty much going watch the show solely for the horrible, awesome premise.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

etalian posted:

I'm pretty much going watch the show solely for the horrible, awesome premise.
Same, i can see the incoming "inter-relational drama arcs" trainwreck coming and i need something to replace the 100 in the "why am i watching this?" category. Still I can't stand the modern "angel" iconography so gently caress that "angel in human form" bullshit. Give me some inhuman looking angels, tia. Giant tetrahedron of death optional.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Yeah, where are the seraphim with their three sets of wings and the ones with eyes all over? :argh:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Toplowtech posted:

Same, i can see the incoming "inter-relational drama arcs" trainwreck coming and i need something to replace the 100 in the "why am i watching this?" category. Still I can't stand the modern "angel" iconography so gently caress that "angel in human form" bullshit. Give me some inhuman looking angels, tia. Giant tetrahedron of death optional.

I pretty much knew I would like the rest of the pilot after the intro scene in which a minigun and flak cannon shoots a angel out of the sky.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I enjoyed the two episodes but I like the whole angels angle though.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

hollylolly posted:

Yeah, where are the seraphim with their three sets of wings and the ones with eyes all over? :argh:

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't show some of the more alien-looking angels in the future - the show seems to follow the Christian Angelic Hierarchy.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I've been surprised by how interested this show is keeping me, but the angel behaviour is kind of confusing, its like they're a catch-all of zombies, vampires and exorcist style possessions.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I've been surprised by how interested this show is keeping me, but the angel behaviour is kind of confusing, its like they're a catch-all of zombies, vampires and exorcist style possessions.

Well, demons are just fallen angels, and as I see it all these angels except Michael are "fallen." The lesser angels are actually possessing humans in order to have bodies (why they're called Eight Balls I dunno), just switch Gabriel with Lucifer and it might make more sense? (Though, I do wonder if Lucifer comes into the theology of the TV show and if so, how?) The archangels (Gabe, Mike) can appear perfectly human and have wings. Higher angels (don't have to possess a human, wings, etc) have joined Gabe. They also mentioned that some of the lesser angels were becoming able to pass more as human and have wings as well.

So yes, it's confusing. :lol:

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I'm enjoying the show as well. Some definite shoddy acting and they're not trying but subtle at all about anything really but I dig it. I'm enjoying it more than Helix that's for sure and I appreciate that it actually has some production values vs other syfy stuff (worlds biggest closet Sanctuary fan here).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DarkCrawler posted:

- Angels are actually, for the first time, presented like the Bible has them to be.

Wait, by this do you mean we get angels in the form of spinning wheels within wheels covered in eyes or four-headed creatures with lion and eagle faces?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

hollylolly posted:

Well, demons are just fallen angels, and as I see it all these angels except Michael are "fallen." The lesser angels are actually possessing humans in order to have bodies (why they're called Eight Balls I dunno), just switch Gabriel with Lucifer and it might make more sense? (Though, I do wonder if Lucifer comes into the theology of the TV show and if so, how?) The archangels (Gabe, Mike) can appear perfectly human and have wings. Higher angels (don't have to possess a human, wings, etc) have joined Gabe. They also mentioned that some of the lesser angels were becoming able to pass more as human and have wings as well.

So yes, it's confusing. :lol:
From my understanding, there are 3 groups of angels:
_ the ones who decided not to quit heaven and are waiting for Godot
_ those who decided to join Gabriel (some are still trapped in heaven)
_ Michael (who may or may not be the only one who wants to defend mankind)

And yeah, i guess the show will have a "Lucifer & friends" reveal sooner or later.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

hollylolly posted:

(why they're called Eight Balls I dunno)

They have black eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm not sure how I feel about this one anymore after the third episode. I hope the whole gently caress YOU DAD thing is done and over with and we get some sweet angels vs human action.

• Locked thread