Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

adamantium|wang posted:

As a former employee, don't work for Games Workshop.

I must have been really lucky in that that only dodgy thing a company I've worked for has done is pretty much split the company into two entities and split the employees between them so that both are counted as a "small business" thus allowing them to fire anyone willy nilly (under Workchoices).

Telstra occasionally TRY to do something subtle or slightly dodgy (and even then that's more local managers than HR/management) but the second they get called up on it, they crap themselves to bend over backwards and avoid a PR disaster. I suppose the bigger the company, the bigger the media target on their backside (and everyone loves to take a shot at Telstra, not that they don't deserve it).

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
The Sri Lankan Navy is denying that they have accepted any refugees from Australia.

quote:

Australia did not hand over SL asylum seekers- Navy
By Arthur Wamanan
Tuesday, 01 July 2014 16:19

The Sri Lanka Navy today confirmed that no Sri Lankan asylum seekers from Tamil Nadu were handed over to them by Australian authorities.

The Navy’s response comes following unconfirmed reports indicating that Australian authorities had handed over 153 Sri Lankan asylum seekers who had arrived at Christmas Island from Tamil Nadu recently.

The Guardian Australia quoted Christmas Island shire president, Gordon Thomson as saying that there were unconfirmed reports of the asylum seekers being handed over to the Sri Lanka Navy.

However, Navy Spokesperson, Commander Kosala Warnakulasuriya stated that no asylum seekers were handed over to the Navy.

According to the Guardian, the whereabouts or even the existence of the asylum seekers were not revealed by the Office of the Australian Immigration Minister, Scott Morrison. It further added that refugee advocates had last week revealed that the said boat with the asylum seekers was heading towards Australia from Tamil Nadu.

Meanwhile, Sri Lankan high commissioner in Canberra, Admiral Thisara Samarasinghe, had told Guardian Australia that he had not been informed by the Australian government of the boat's existence and therefore was in no position to comment.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Ragingsheep posted:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...0701-zssnn.html

So you have a boat full of people claiming to be Tamil asylum seekers coming to Australia. Do you:

a. Rescue them and take them for processing
b. Hand them over to the Sri Lankan navy who are part of the government that Tamils are fleeing from

Jesus isn't there like a one year old on that boat as well. How the gently caress does Morrison sleep at night.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

adamantium|wang posted:

The Sri Lankan Navy is denying that they have accepted any refugees from Australia.

So we don't have them, Sri Lanka doesn't have them, we would have heard by now if Indonesia has them, and they had a working satellite phone. So where the gently caress did it go?

e: Actually, the boat came from India didn't it, I wonder if that's where they got sent to?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Zenithe posted:

So we don't have them, Sri Lanka doesn't have them, we would have heard by now if Indonesia has them, and they had a working satellite phone. So where the gently caress did it go?

e: Actually, the boat came from India didn't it, I wonder if that's where they got sent to?

If it just loving sank in the middle of the ocean would we ever find out?

Even worse question, that I really don't want to know the answer to, would most Australian even care?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The boat has become an on-water matter and has thus disappeared from this plane of existence to never be seen again.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

We'll just track the pinger right guys?

"Yeaaaaah, about that distress beacon.."

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Hey now, the Glorious Liberals have stopped the boats, if the boats are stopped they can't get to Australia, therefore there is no boat and there never was, Q-E-D. :smug:

-Scott Morrison

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Reminder that all of those returned Tamils will be imprisoned, many of them will be tortured, and some of them may be killed.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

dr_rat posted:

Even worse question, that I really don't want to know the answer to, would most Australian even care?

If it has sank and we find out will we have a repeat of the crocodile tears that set off this current round of 'stop the boats'?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Haters Objector posted:

Reminder that all of those returned Tamils will be imprisoned, many of them will be tortured, and some of them may be killed.

The worst part of that is, if they come here and get shipped off to an offshore processing camp, it's no different. I really hope this guy suing the Government for what happened to his eye at Manus Island hangs them by the balls for it.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

dr_rat posted:

If a boat sinks under the waves is it still an on-water matter? This could be important.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Konomex posted:

If it has sank and we find out will we have a repeat of the crocodile tears that set off this current round of 'stop the boats'?

I don't think Scott Morrison ever shed any crocodile tears, he has always made his lust for dead browns well known

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Haters Objector posted:

but how does this relate to Master Chef? Or the Block?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

IronicBeetCriminal posted:

Don't get me fuckin started

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

They're making a cake / house in the shape of a boat.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I am using "this is like returning a boatload of jewish refugees directly to hitler" as my choice analogy

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

A croquembouche costs 40% more than the average asylum seeker processed offshore. Clearly it needs to be dismantled and sent back.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Diet Crack posted:

A croquembouche costs 40% more than the average asylum seeker processed offshore. Clearly it needs to be dismantled and sent back.

I watched that stupid show (Masterchef) last night and, really, when the people on your reality TV show are getting all self-referential and freaking out over something because they've seen it in the other seasons... that's probably the time where you should find a new reality TV premise.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Word cloud for June:

2014: JFMAM

2013: AMJJASOND

Highlights from last months thread:

Milky Moor posted:

There's your issue, Cleretic. I had six weeks on Newstart once - you're not supposed to only go for things that casually mention your expertise, you're supposed to only go for things that casually mention your expertise, you're supposed to apply again without having to take time to build another career, why would I abandon it to come back to teaching 'when I was called on it. 'I thought I had a decent chance for (bullshit reason),' is what a lot of work. This cannot be overstated. The first few weeks of teaching graduates.

However, existing schools expect current staff to do this - or have a family member).

So, the brother receives a letter from the department stating that as he is able to do more with less. Teachers are expected to teach one or two of those two needs to be. DIBP says to go to if whoever the case officer was screwed up?

No useful information. "It's outside our jurisdiction" over and over. My girlfriend emailed the case officer was screwed up?

No useful information. "It's outside our jurisdiction" over and over. My girlfriend emailed the case officer back when it comes to release dates and even just general availability (like how the iTunes store doesn't carry a ton of stuff in the migration zone to be luck-based and incredibly temporary. a lot of work. A lot of grad positions seems to be sent packing after four weeks or so.

A piece of advice I was called on it. 'I thought I had six weeks on Newstart once - you're not in the grand scheme of things, not people's lives.

Sure, we could probably just lodge another application but that stuff isn't cheap. It really isn't. Neither is a blight on Mediacrity which might actually have a Department of Immigration and Citizenship is remarkably telling, especially in my current situation.

Hypation posted:

The article has it's facts wrong. The correct facts include:

State Exec can cancel an endorsement. The only possible actual process to disendorse the guy is for the free market to dictate the allocation of production whereas in a communist state except to as imply there is a zero now and 2% pa pay rises Coles staff will get. Assuming 36.5 hours per week the number of small businesses fined this year for underpaying staff reached even 1% yet?

Deplorable conduct.

He's not really a case for a different purpose.

Captain Pissweak posted:

I'm going to teach them some tops poo poo about anyway because the climate isn't warming " but then Turnbull is presenting an unhated face for the thread and the answer is "kind of".

I'm working on the assumption that Labor, Greens and hopefully Xenophon will block things together putting them at thirty three base. DLP, LDP, and FF are all going to teach them some tops poo poo about Jesus mate just how good is that if Palmer loses both of them he no longer inherently holds a balance of power, since at the point where he has four senators, Xenophon and Madigan become irrelevant since he was first elected. It's just they have nothing to gain from going rogue. Muir will depend on whether AMEP try to unburn the bridge, and Lambie is the leader of one of the world's other tories managed to vaguely make something of their media by torrenting content, hth.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
hth

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Those loving pregnant teaching teachers.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I like how the word Bullshit is extremely close to Perth's locale within that word cloud.

"Pregnant housing teaching communism market distribution" :stare:

e: The solution to all our problems:

Working Canada Power!
:canada:

Together in Harmony (Boxing)! How fitting for Canada Day.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 1, 2014

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Weekends Against Policy

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
Iwc teaching communism

Banks fees apply

:(

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
Hey urcher can you du one of those automatic content generators on the gbs thread? There's a thousand pages of data so it has to return something pretty special

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Whatever the result is, it would need to be encased in an emptyquote.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Just popping in to say good OP and Happy Canada Day!

Hopefully I will have time to make real posts soon.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
We've been waiting years, no rush

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Those loving pregnant teaching teachers.

Hawt

HookShot posted:

Just popping in to say good OP and Happy Canada Day!

Hopefully I will have time to make real posts soon.

We doubt that, but willing to give you a chance.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Adults are back in charge:

quote:

CBA financial planning scandal: Senator David Bushby was missing at crucial hearing
July 2, 2014
Ben Butler, Adele Ferguson

The Liberal senator, whose dissenting report the federal government is relying on to hose down calls for a royal commission on Commonwealth Bank, did not turn up to a crucial hearing at which victims of the bank's financial planning scandal gave evidence.

Official Hansard transcripts show David Bushby, who was deputy chairman of the inquiry committee, did not attend on April 10 this year, when it also heard from bank whistleblower Jeff Morris, CBA executives and Australian Securities and Investments Commission officials.

Senator Bushby, regarded in Canberra as a friend of Finance Minister Mathias Cormann, also headed a smaller Senate inquiry that gave the thumbs-up to the government's roll-back of protection for consumers of financial advice.

The government introduced regulations on Monday watering down important aspects of the Future of Financial Advice (FOFA) laws, but Labor, the Greens and the Palmer United Party are set to disallow the regulations once the Senate sits again in a week.

Victim Merilyn Swan, who gave evidence on April 10, said that, unlike other senators on the multi-party committee, ''Senator Bushby has never spoken with us and he certainly does not know us''.

In her evidence, Ms Swan told the economics reference committee about how one of CBA's worst planners, ''Dodgy'' Don Nguyen, took less than two years to reduce her parents' $260,000 retirement nest-egg to just $92,000.

''Senator Bushby didn't even bother to attend nor listen via phone hook-up to the compelling evidence given by the whistleblower Jeff Morris, and the CBA victims,'' she said.

She dismissed Senator Bushby's six-page report as ''irrelevant'' when put against the 547 pages making up the majority findings.

''Shame on Senator Cormann for embracing six pages from a 553-page report because he and the government are too frightened to have a royal commission into the CBA,'' she said.

''They should be more frightened of the fact that the largest and most profitable Australian bank has been found to be involved in systematic fraud, forgery and misleading and deceptive conduct and has, within its senior management, individuals who were so bereft of personal and professional integrity that a systematic cover-up was preferable to admitting liability and taking responsible action to address the issues.''

Senator Bushby was unavailable for comment on Tuesday.

Mr Morris, whose disclosures to Fairfax Media triggered the Senate inquiry, said the senator's dissenting report was ''rather sketchy''. ''I was disappointed that Mathias Cormann was hosing down the prospect of a royal commission even before he had read the comprehensive 550-page bipartisan report,'' he said.

In a statement, Senator Cormann said: "The most important question on my mind is what course of action is most likely to achieve a satisfactory resolution for victims with legitimate outstanding and unresolved issues … I am not convinced that yet another inquiry at this point is the best and most efficient way to resolve outstanding issues for victims."

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Just take the 6 page report and Ctrl-F "Commonweatlh Bank" to "ACTU". Then we'd get our Royal Commission.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Family first, the LDP both opposed to the newstart cuts, and Ricky Muir reportedly concerned according to the Arsetralian.

e: commando in Afghanistan shot himself.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 2, 2014

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...0625-3asek.html

So the Attorney General talks to Muslim leaders to enlist their help in deterring young people from extremist views.

Perhaps he should be talking to a few Catholic leaders around Northern Sydney and Cronulla. I'm sure there's a few extremists in those areas that could do with the same message.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Re: HECS/FEE HELP, reminder that if you have European citizenship you can study in Sweden completely free. No application fees, no tuition. When I go back to Uni that's where I'll be, probably university of Gothenburg since their social studies department is amazing.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Fruity Gordo posted:

Re: HECS/FEE HELP, reminder that if you have European citizenship you can study in Sweden completely free. No application fees, no tuition. When I go back to Uni that's where I'll be, probably university of Gothenburg since their social studies department is amazing.

At least for postgrad, I'm not sure about undergrad, you don't even need to be a citizen.

[edit: https://www.universityadmissions.se/en/All-you-need-to-know1/Studying-in-Sweden/Fees-and-scholarships/Am-I-required-to-pay/ looks like they stopped paying for foreigners to do undergrad and Masters degrees in 2011. Can still do a PhD for free.]

open24hours fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 2, 2014

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Nah noncitizens have to pay tuition for undergrad, I think they changed it a couple of years ago because it was loving up the international student industry in the rest of Europe and Germany cracked the shits.

I'm gonna go over to sweden in 2016 and see how I like it, I've never been overseas so between that and Cuba at the end of next year I'm really excited. :dance:

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
Don't work for any gaming "glam job" companies. They will literally get walk-ins every week handing in resumes and have their proverbial pick of the litter - this means that you'll work ungodly amounts of unpaid overtime, because as a casual you can be replaced at a moment's notice and there's very much a "if you don't like it... you know what to do" *points at door* attitude.

I know this from working back in the day for several years for a certain major gaming retail chain. The hopefuls handing in resumes over the counter never ceased.

Another good indicator? If you visit their stores regularly, see how often there's new staff. That'll give you a pretty good indicator as to whether the local store manager / area manager is a dickhead.

... that said, it's better than dealing with Centerlink.

Edit: and just to drive home the importance of networking and why you should do it, I worked at a *very* popular central city store for those years, and when going for jobs after I finished my earlier qualifications, was recognised at each of the three places I applied at. I was offered all three positions.

Mattjpwns fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 2, 2014

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

You Am I posted:

We doubt that, but willing to give you a chance.

adamantium|wang posted:

We've been waiting years, no rush

I didn't say real "good" posts. We all know that's never happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Ragingsheep posted:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...0701-zssnn.html

So you have a boat full of people claiming to be Tamil asylum seekers coming to Australia. Do you:

a. Rescue them and take them for processing
b. Hand them over to the Sri Lankan navy who are part of the government that Tamils are fleeing from

Holy poo poo. This is beyond the pale.

• Locked thread