Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Since you were a small child you loved to play video games. Some people played for fun, others for winning, but you played for new experience; the thrill of something never done before. Eight months ago, on your twenty fifth birthday, a landmark was made in video game technology; the world's first virtual reality MMORPG, Ascendant's Web. Unfortunately you did not receive this game for your birthday, and did not have the money to purchase the expensive equipment necessary. For those eight months you worked hard and saved money, just so you could play this game your friends talked about excitingly. Finally you had enough, purchased the equipment, and went about setting up your account.

Please Enter:

First Name | Last Name (Private)

Gender (Private)

Name (Character)

Gender (Character)

Race (Character)

There are ten races available in Ascendant's Web, divided into three factions of three races and one race that could join any faction and switch between them.

Ascendants (New Races): Human, Elf, Orc
Descendants (Ancient Races): Dwarf, Radiant, Infernal
Weblings (Minor Races): Goblin, Lizardbeast, Scrapling
Independent: Shapeshifter

The story: The world was owned by three beings; the Dwarves, the Radiants, and the Infernals. The dwarves used their technology, the radiants their holiness, and infernals their demonic blood to war between one another. As they grew weaker in their war, new and previously ignored species rose up and gained power; the devious humans, the magical elves, and the powerful orcs. Together they managed to take much of the land that had belonged to the ancient races, until they controlled over two thirds the world. Thus the dwarves, radiants, and infernals decided to put aside their differences and joined together to fight back; now the world was in a much more balanced state, with roughly half owned by both sides. This new war gave opportunity to three other races; the crafty goblins, the ferocious lizardbeasts, and the odd scraplings. Scraplings were especially interesting, ancient souls of the dead bound to old technology. Now the Weblings are rising the same way Ascendants once did, and both the Ascendants and Descendants fear them, but can hardly focus on such petty forces while their true enemy lies on the other side of the border. Shapeshifters are beings that can take many forms, with the most ancient shapeshifters being able to emulate anything. They are said to be a race older than the Descendants, but Shapeshifters have no culture or history and just try to survive in the world by taking on the forms of other races and living among them.

Race effect breakdown:
Human: Bonus to socializing. Bonus to discovery. Bonus to income.

Elf: Bonus to elementalism. Bonus to survival. Bonus to speed.

Orc: Bonus to strength. Bonus to stamina. Bonus to art.

Dwarf: Bonus to technology. Bonus to health. Bonus to dexterity.

Radiant: Bonus to luck. Bonus to music. Bonus to learning.

Infernal: Bonus to agility. Bonus to senses. Bonus to conjuration.

Goblin: Bonus to architecture. Bonus to enchantment. Bonus to multitasking.

Lizardbeast: Bonus to damage. Bonus to cooking. Bonus to emotions.

Scrapling: Bonus to salvaging. Bonus to upgrading. Bonus to spiritualism.

Shapeshifter: Special: Shapeshifting. Lesser bonuses of shapeshifted race.

Finally you are supposed to enter a single skill. Ascendant's Web doesn't use a class system like most MMORPGs, but instead there's a collection of over 72,000 skills which can be learned and leveled based on use, roughly 14,000 of them still undiscovered according to the developers! Some skills require other skills before they can be learned, and the developers are creating new skills all the time. There are combat skills, gathering skills, crafting skills, passive skills, unique skills, magical skills, just too many different type of skills to even keep track of! Because of the broad range of skills available, players can, on character creation, enter just about anything into a blank field for their starting skill. It's also the developer's guarantee that if the skill entered doesn't exist, and doesn't violate the ToS (nothing vulgur, nothing that violates copyright, etc), they will create the skill in short order!

What do you enter into the skill field?

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty
That'll teach me to not read closely, my bad.

Permotriassic fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 1, 2014

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
Name (Character)
Enoch

Gender (Character)
Male

Race (Character)
Scrapling

What do you enter into the skill field?
Tinkering

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Name Root Bear Gloat

Gender Male

Race Goblin

What do you enter into the skill field? Bullshitting

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
First Name: LIAM | Last Name: POTTER

Name: Charname

Race: Human

Skill: Facilitation

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

First Name: Abcde| Last Name: Fghijk

Name: x.x.x.Sephiroth.x~x

Race: Dwarf

Skill: Gunzerking

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Name Sir Charname The Brave 31457

Gender Male

Race Radiant

What do you enter into the skill field? Right time right place, the incredible happenstance skill!

Edit: But I'll go with LLSix if it's a tie!

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!
First Name Stefan | Last Name Rodriguez

Gender Male

Name Calvin the Splendid

Gender Male

Race Shapeshifter

Skill Sommelier

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Name Marty McFly

Gender Male

Age 25

-----

Name Squalid Lochrie

Gender Male

Race Goblin

What do you enter into the skill field? Improvisational Comedy

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jul 1, 2014

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
First Name Thomas
Last Name Anderson

Gender Male

Character:

Name Neo

Gender Male

Race Human

Skill Kung-Fu

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
Character

Name Big McLargehuge

Gender Male

Race Lizardbeast

Skill Weightlifting

And as for the person, I'll just stick with this.

Green Intern posted:

Name Marty McFly

Gender Male

Age 25

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Player Data

Name: Chuck Kowalski
Profession: Custodial Engineer (Janitor)

Character Data

Name: Chesty McBoobsalot
Race: Elf
Skill: Impressing teen male players with pixelated boobies until they give me their best gear

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

You quickly enter your personal data,

Marty | McFly

Male

You're glad that information is private. You're sick of the same jokes, over and over. Your parents didn't even watch the movie!

You're still heavily considering your character information, however. This is an important decision! At the very least you tentatively decide on a name and gender, assuming nothing overwhelmingly better pops into your mind.

Sir Charname

Male

But what race, what skill?! You still can't decide.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 1, 2014

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Come on people!

We should go with the below!

Race Radiant

What do you enter into the skill field? Right time right place, the incredible happenstance skill!

It's all about luck, and getting super super lucky (or unlucky!). See that enemy running at you! Oh no he just tripped! Oh no he landed on a rather large spike that you dropped accidentally a minute before! Imagine that!

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Race: Shapeshifter.

Skill: Lying.

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
I believe it is peace in our time.
Race: Scrapling

Skill: Right time, Right Place

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Wentley posted:

This is acceptable to me, I'll support it.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Wentley posted:

Why not, lying sounds like it could be an amusing skill if used right.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Wentley posted:

This please.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Wentley posted:

:getin:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Wentley posted:

yup

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

With heavy inspiration you decide to select the Shapeshifter race and enter "Lying" as your skill. You click Finished and a message pops up.

Game posted:

Are you sure this is your character?

You click Yes.

A flash of light. Your head hurts. Your ears are ringing. A soft, robotic female voice tells you this is normal, and that you are adjusting to the virtual reality. Then you find yourself in a city.

It seems the game decided to start you in the human capital, Tamlora. You look down at yourself and confirm that you are currently shapeshifted as a human. Quickly you pull up your character information.

Character Information posted:

Name: Sir Charname
Race: Shapeshifter (Human)
Level: 1
Experience: 0% to next level
Money: 0 gold, 0 silver, 0 copper
Lifepoints: 100/100

Physical Stats
Agility: 10
Dexterity: 10
Health: 10
Senses: 10
Speed: 10
Stamina: 10
Strength: 10
Social Stats
Socializing: 10 (+5)
Creative Stats
Architecture: 10
Art: 10
Cooking: 10
Music: 10
Technology: 10
-Upgrading: 10
Mental Stats
Emotions: 10
Learning: 10
Magical Stats
Conjuration: 10
Elementalism: 10
Enchantment: 10
Spiritualism: 10
Misc Stats
Discovery: 10 (+5)
Income: 10 (+5)
Luck: 10
Multitasking: 10
Salvaging: 10
Survival: 10
Meta Stats
Damage: 10

View Skills
View Equipment
View Inventory

It seems like you can learn more about any stat by clicking on it. You keep that in mind for the future if you want more information. For now you click View Skills, Equipment, and Inventory.

Skills posted:

Shapeshifting: Level 1, 0% to next level
Lying: Level 5, 0% to next level

Equipment posted:

Simple Cotton Shirt: Body
Simple Cotton Trousers: Legs
Simple Straw Sandles: Feet
Roomy Backpack: Back

Inventory posted:

Stale Bread x5

You decide to also learn more about your skills.

Shapeshifting posted:

Allows you to transform into other races, with related bonuses and weaknesses. Currently restricted to the 9 other starting races.
Next milestone: Customize Appearance, level 3.

Lying posted:

You are adept at lying. Your lies are 50% more likely to be believed by NPCs. Lying during combat may have special effects.
Next milestone: Double Down, level 10.

Curious, you click on the next milestones.

Customize Appearance posted:

Allows you to customize your appearance each time you use Shapeshifting. You can also store and retrieve appearances you have created.

Double Down posted:

If you are discovered lying, you may tell another lie to recover. If this second lie is discovered, things may get worse.

You nod your head, finding this all very interesting. Done looking at your statistics for now, you decide to observe what's going on around you. In front of you appears to be the town square, occupied by a NPC with big flashing letters over his head, 'New Player Guide'. To the left of the square is a group of players wearing clothes similar to your own, pulling at passing by players for "Free gold plz". In the center of this beggar flock is an NPC, a priest by the looks of it. Whenever a beggar approaches him he either hands them some bread and a few copper coins, or mutters something. To the right of the square is a bunch of players in fancy gear, each one waving around a form and shouting about "Join our guild!" in one form or another. Finally to your direct right is a wooden post-board labeled 'Tasks'. What do you do?

A) Talk to the NPC New Player Guide
B) Talk to the priest
C) Join the beggars in begging
D) Listen to guild recruiters
E) Read the Tasks board
F) Something else?

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 2, 2014

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Go into the nearest house and practice shapeshifting into other races.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Charname is no beggar, and we're not so hard up we need charity. We're too new to be useful to a guild, and while quests sound fun, usually the New Player Guide has a few starter quests that give easy XP and gear, so let's try A.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
We're gonna need info on how this game works, so A.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

LLSix posted:

Yeah, let's be like that guy who grinded his way to level 90 in WoW without leaving the starting zone.

Seconding this

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

LLSix posted:

Thirding

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

LLSix posted:

And while we're doing it, come up with various lies about WHY we're doing it.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

You walk into the nearest house, a small wooden shack. In it there's a human woman, sweeping the floor. "Yes traveler?" she greets you.

You attempt to shapeshift into an elf, as practice. A popup appears on your screen.

Popup posted:

Are you sure you want to shapeshift while you are being watched? There may be consequences.

A) Yes
B) No, and:
-1) Talk to the woman (Indicate what you say)
-2) Leave the house and do something else (Indicate what)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

B: And tell her to close her eyes because we have a nice surprise for her. Then shapeshift into someone else and say some guy just ran out of the house.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Green Intern posted:

B: And tell her to close her eyes because we have a nice surprise for her. Then shapeshift into someone else and say some guy just ran out of the house.
This piece of genius. Be sure to slam the door shut and open again in between, and say it in a different voice.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

You tell the woman to close her eyes, as you have a surprise for her, and she does so. When she does you activate shapeshifting and turn into an elf. You make stomping sounds with your feet, slam the door, and then put an arm forward, saying "Uh, ma'am, some guy just ran out of the house." The woman opens her eyes and suddenly she rushes to you. "An elf?! Oh, I've always wanted to learn about elves, but I never met one! Please, tell me about your people!"

A notice pops up in front of you.

Quest posted:

New Quest!

Tell the woman about elven culture.

Difficulty: Trivial

Success: Earn woman's trust.
Failure: Discovered as a shapeshifter.

Do you accept? Yes/No

Yes or No? Please elaborate on what you say if yes, or what you do if no.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 2, 2014

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I disbelieve the text in front of me and panic that I, as a discrete person am trapped in a video game! Who am I! How did I get here!? Someone, help me!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Yes, accept the quest. Valuable Bullshitting practice!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Bullshit like you're at the debate finals.

"Elves have a long and storied tradition of hospitality. It is a grave offense for an elf to receive a guest and not give them a token of their esteem. This is why Elves are so long-lived! They always have friends to help them in times of need."

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yes, accept the quest. Valuable Bullshitting practice!

Oh man. Adaptive quests!

I accept this bullshitting challenge.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Obviously you accept the quest, you'd be a fool to do otherwise.

"Sure, I'll tell you about us elves, ma'am." She smiles broadly.

But what do you say?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Green Intern posted:

Bullshit like you're at the debate finals.

"Elves have a long and storied tradition of hospitality. It is a grave offense for an elf to receive a guest and not give them a token of their esteem. This is why Elves are so long-lived! They always have friends to help them in times of need."

Say this.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Green Intern posted:

You say to the woman. Her eyes open wide. "Of course, of course!" she bows and rushes off into the only other room in the shack. She comes back to you and hands you a necklace made of brass. "This necklace was given to me by my son, before he went off to the war. I-I have not heard from him in some time, but please take it."

Quest posted:

Quest complete! You have received: A Son's Parting Gift

You inspect the necklace.

A Son's Parting Gift posted:

This simple necklace was given to a mother by her son before heading off to war. It has no special properties.
Estimated Value: 2 copper.

The woman speaks up again. "You must have come a long way from the elven lands to arrive all the way here. Please, if you find my son in your travels, would you give him this letter from me?" She holds out a letter.

Quest posted:

New Quest!

Give a letter to a warring son!

Difficulty: Easy

Success: Unknown reward.
Failure: Nothing.

Do you accept? Yes/No

Regardless of your answer, what do you do next?

A) Talk to the woman some more (Specify topic)
B) Leave
-1) Talk to the New Player Guide
-2) Talk to the priest
-3) Join the beggars in begging
-4) Listen to the guild recruiters
-5) Read the tasks board
C) Something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Yes
B2 - we need to talk to the priest so we can lie to god.

• Locked thread