Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Kaal posted:

So ... not easily and by a handful of Western powers then?

I don't think you understand the power that Western sanctions had on influencing South African policy and pushing them toward accepting majority rule.

Anyway, are you going to answer my question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

A Terrible Person posted:

Why are you guys trying to make rhetorical arguments to trick or shame Kaal into answering a simple yes/no question when the entire point of him posting here is to avoid doing so?

He's as much as stated that Israel is the aggressor already and admitted that, yes, Israel has a right to kill every last Palestinian simply because Israel is more powerful. He's monstrously wrong, but all debating him will result in is more questions and deflections on his part.

We have to assume other posters are arguing in good faith, even if there's no reason to assume so. Anyway I was going to wait a bit to post this but since you've beaten me to the punch I'll go ahead and do it:

Kaal, you can't answer my question. You literally can't condemn Israel directly, even though you've done it by way of implication and handwaving. Every argument you've presented has been to deflect the conversation away from Israel, to put the onus on the Palestinians, to do anything but discuss the monstrosity of the situation. The fact that you've been reduced to this really shows how desperate you've become. You can't even argue that the IDF is in the right, only that they are too strong to be challenged (which itself falsehood, obviously) and must be appeased. It's time to pack it in, man. There's no shame in defeat, unless the dudes you're fighting against are armed with rocks.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Kaal posted:

Your position here is absurd. It's like asking if the American Civil War was wrong, or whether WWII was wrong. Those aren't legitimate questions. So go ahead and call me a fascist or whatever for disagreeing with you, but realize that you can't reduce a conflict to yes/no right/wrong black/white.

I'm not going to call you a fascist, Kaal, I just want you to state in front of everyone that with the available information, that you cannot determine whether or not Israeli airstrikes killing civilians is wrong.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

I don't think it's cool to bring up Zionist Conspiracies, even if it's just in name.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Kaal brought the thread past the point of no return it's all poo poo and we're going to fester in it until Israel decides it's time for a ground invasion again.

I hope the thread isn't closed if Israel actually does go into Gaza, because it actually would provide a lot of stuff to talk about considering the implications and what this means for the future of the region (considering the current wars).

If any mods are reading this (I'm getting on my knees and pleading you don't probate me), consider this proposal: turn this thread into a thunderdome for as long as hostilities in Gaza persist. It'll be like d&d fight club, and a good way to blow off steam.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Cool Bear posted:

I forget his name but one of the first famous authors to popularize the term Zionism as the desire to create a Jewish homeland somewhere said they should do it in argentina in some place geographically similar to ancient israel because people already lived in palestine at that time, the late 1800s, and it would end up with rude things happening to them.

The Soviets created a Jewish Autonomous Oblast in Siberia, the Americans came close to putting one in the Inside Passage of Alaska. Not great locations, but I'd certainly take Siberia over the war-torn ruins of Gaza.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Kaal posted:

Similarly, trying to paint the entire Israeli occupation as wrong or right, which could go back 100 years in some people's minds, is a meaningless exercise in point-scoring.

I don't think so, Tim.

It's actually important to the argument you were making- that Palestinians should surrender to avoid suffering even further loss of life and bloodshed at the hands of the Israelis. Isn't Israel, by putting them in that position, that you argued they should be prepared to surrender to escape, wrong?

Answer me.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

quote:

"Was American expansionism wrong"
Yes.

quote:

"Was the American quest to exterminate Native Americans wrong"
Yes.

quote:

Was Cast Lead right or wrong?
Wrong.

quote:

Was the Second Intifada right or wrong?
Wrong.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Kaal posted:

I agree with a lot of that, but I also note that you had the wisdom to not try to answer complex questions by simply saying yes or no.

So answer the question with a mostly-yes or a mostly-no, and provide your reasoning. The important thing is that you answer it. Is Israel's ongoing campaign of airstrikes against Palestinians, that has thus far killed dozens, in retaliation for the death of three Israeli teens, for which no evidence of Hamas involvement has yet been provided, mostly-wrong, or mostly-right?

I literally cannot make this easier for you.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Kaal posted:

I'm sure that you understand that some concepts are simply too large to be simplified into two neat categories. I mean I'm sure that you can see that trying to pose the question, "Human civilization, right or wrong?" is absolutely absurd. If you're talking about a specific event or decision then you can start grappling with its specific morality or wisdom, but if you broaden the scope out to concepts involving millions of people over decades of history, then that sort of absolutism is simply misguided.

"Is genocide bad."

What are words?

And poof! I've disappeared into a pomo cloud of nebulous symbols and shifting meanings.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
People are laughing, man.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
Nihilists and Israeli politicians agree, nothing means anything, there is no significance in this tumor-reality. Now we all bow our heads to await the cold embrace of oblivion.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Xander77 posted:

Yes. It means someone who has ~~~wrong opinions~~~ about the I/P conflict. For example, someone who's convinced that a terrorist attack was perpetrated by terrorists.

Or someone who served in the IDF. Or someone who defends Israel's actions. Basically, any Israeli who's arguing in favor of any Israeli position is an agent using a ~~~scary Jew word~~~ (the relevant part, just in case you're dense) plan to brainwash the gentiles.

You'll note that people who really dislike their own country are very much a minority in any place that isn't currently undergoing a violent revolution. In 1990, the Russian citizens of the USSR (so, not the victims of Russian domination) - a country that was manifestly failing to provide for the majority of its citizens - were still in favor of keeping the USSR and communism around.

People were not attacking what's-his-name for being the IDF, they were calling him out whitewashing the crimes presently occurring in Gaza. Also, despite your accusations, nobody here has engaged in that Protocols of the Elder of Zion bullshit, knock it off.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
The problem is, Kaal, you're fighting an endless series of rearguard battles that take you further and further away from being able to say anything about anything. Since you've argued that the Palestinians should surrender rather than face what you've admitted is overwhelming and vicious loss of life, you can't backtrack and say what the Israelis are doing is right. However, for reasons unknown, you can't condemn it as wrong. Instead, you've taken the only avenue still open, and are presently chipping away at the concept of morality as it relates to human conflict, deciding that you'd rather sink the discussion into the stultifying rear end in a top hat of postmodernism rather than face defeat on an internet forum.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Xander77 posted:

I strongly disagree with at least one of the above.
Bull. First of all, any sort of "useful idiot" "Hasbarah shill" etc label is there to close the overtone window and indicate that no position besides your own can be argued ~~~in good faith~~~. Second of all, you don't persistently use scary foreign words (Jew-y) words to describe an opponent except in order to emphasize how scarily Jew-y he is.

And I condemn anyone who does that, which is why it's a good thing nobody has done that as far as I've been following the conversation. If you can explain what words you think are "Jew-y", I'd be happy to hear your evidence that people are being antisemitic.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
Friend, nobody on this page or the last said the word "Hasbara" until you did.

A guy a few pages back made a joke about Hasbara and an elephant blocking rockets, does that count? Before that, there's Kaal saying it.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Xander77 posted:

Buddy, it's almost as though this discussion didn't start on this page, or the last one.

Cool, so you're going to cherry pick a few posts from a fifty-page long thread and determine that the "word of the month" is that. Next poster, please.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Accretionist posted:

Between what he's posting, his usertext and him listing his occupation as, "Paid to browse the forums," I'm going to entertain the notion he's literally one of Israel's many paid shills.

Not helping, dude.

Assuming that even the densest motherfuckers posting here are shills is really disingenuous and only shuts down what little discussion there still is. It also gives people the ability to point at you and make the now not unfair claim that you're poisoning the discussion. I'm really unconvinced that anyone here is being paid for pro-Israel posts because if they are, they should probably be fired for being so bad at their jobs.

illrepute fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 11, 2014

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Xander77 posted:

As I pointed out, every single person who has ~~~wrong opinions~~~ has been accused of being a shill and got a proper avatar to make sure everyone knows he's arguing for the wrong side. It's almost as though noting an overall trend is the exact opposite of cherry-picking.

People are getting avatars for excessively bad posting. It's entirely coincidental that the thing they're posting poorly about is Israel, unless you'd have us believe there's an antisemitic cabal stamping yellow stars on pro-Israel poster's avatars.

Also your tildes don't make you seem clever or ironic, they're just stupid. Is this derail over yet? We're still waiting for Kaal to figure out if words have meaning.

Crane Fist posted:

The discussion which was turning into 'genocide is only a word and words are subjective and have whatever meaning you assign to them and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb'

It can be more.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Xander77 posted:

Hmm. It's almost as though these two posts are ironic when juxtaposed against each other.
They're my ~~~uguuu~ tildes, and I love them and I'm going to marry them when I grow up.

Or, to clarify things for the dense, either everyone who supports Israel, or an Israeli position, or an Israeli assertion is a genocide loving fascist shill, or... wait, there actually isn't an or. It's almost as if some "tone arguments" - as in, "what are the boundaries of this discussion, and is everyone who disagrees [see the first part of the sentence]" are worth having.

The excessively-bad posting is in defense of an apartheid regime, yes. Well-spotted. Only idiots think that being pro-Israel automatically makes one a fascist, or a shill, but you can keep whipping that strawman if you feel like it. Do you want to talk about Israel or Palestine, now?

You'll notice that plenty of non-Pro-Israel people have red titles, too.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Xander77 posted:

Hmm. It's almost as though these two posts are ironic when juxtaposed against each other.

(Congrats on the quick edit, by the way)
What is there to talk about, precisely?

Israel is bad, very bad. I'm glad we can all agree :)

I edited it because, just below me, someone made that claim, and so I changed it. That's what you do when new information is provided. You seem kinda dumb.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Xander77 posted:

Yes, exactly*.

*(Well, actually you could go "whoops, I thought X but it turned out that Y, so my bad" instead of trying to pretend you were always and forever correct, but whatever)

Thanks for the new avatar, whoever :)

Yeah, sure, I definitely could have edited my post to say "heh, thanks for proving me wrong, Woozy. Good job", but there's no point? And it doesn't actually affect the conversation in any way? So all you're doing is posting about posting in order to derail the conversation even more. Do you want to talk about the subject of the thread even a little?

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Xander77 posted:

What is there to talk about, precisely?

Israel is bad, very bad. I'm glad we can all agree :)

Seriously though, I participate in less than one I/P thing per year because I don't have a good clear answer as to what should be done (unlike a whole bunch of subjects that I can post about smugly and with conviction). Also unlike most subjects, m opinions on the I/P thing are both ~~~wrong~~~ and non-productive (something along the lines of "there are reasons why Israel does what it does that are far more realpolitik and complex than 'racism'" which doesn't actually help things). Furthermore, I don't feel like the issue is going to be solved one way or another short of an absolutely catastrophic development.

What did interest me was racism against Israeli Arabs. They aren't quite considered ~~~the enemy~~~, and Jews work and occasionally live and study side by side with them. I vaguely hoped that dropping the racism level here could help everyone at once - better conditions for the Arabs, less terrorism and riots for the Jews, possibly a platform for a future understanding with the Palestinians... but it seems as though that's not going to happen. (Thanks Im Tirzu, Yad Le Ahim and a bunch of other assholes I've been fighting against to no avail. Hope you're the very next people to burn alive :))

Nor are we discussing it here, apparently.

Yes, the state of the Israeli Arabs- who make up about twenty percent of the population of the Israeli state, is a very good basis for discussion. I've heard that Jewish dating of Arabs is heavily discouraged by the religious right in Israel, but I've yet to learn about Israeli attitudes toward inter-religious relationships. Really, there's not that much information on the state of relationships between the two communities in Israel. I know for a fact that there was a bill pushed forward attempting to ban Arab parties in the Knesset, but that it did not come to pass. Do you have any suggestions for what methods would have to be taken to decrease racism against Arabs in Israel?

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
Further, nobody- ahem, only idiots here believe that Israel's policy toward the Palestinians is directly wholly, or even mostly by racism. There are very clear, tangible benefits (like you said, realpolitik) for Israel's occupation and the violence it employs. The West Bank has a number of reservoirs that Israel uses to augment its scarce water supplies, same as the Golan Heights (a place that doesn't get discussed much in I/P threads, even though it should). There are also a few oil wells, and the land's use in agriculture is well-documented. There are elements of security, as well, though obviously I disagree that Israel is "safer" by pursuing a policy that alienates and kills Palestinians. They are also useful bargaining chips in disputes (Golan, again, though the degree to which Israel is willing to give these up is again up for discussion). All of these- and more- are reasons aside from "racism" why Israel has a vested interest in maintaining the occupation.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Xander77 posted:

There's a legacy legal system from the Ottoman empire / British mandate wherein everyone has to marry through their proper religious authorities, with no civil union option. So convert, or fly abroad to get married so that your interfaith (or gay or breaking some obscure religious rule) union is recognized.

Woah, jeez, are you saying that interfaith marriages can't be performed in Israel? I didn't know that.

Xander77 posted:

"It takes two to tango" "the first step in a dialog" and other bullshit phrases. But seriously though, that has some point to it. Israeli Arab politicians / society focused on I/P first and on the needs of the common Arab a distant second, and are pushing for something like voluntary segregation (as a form of protest?). They don't participate in mixed-city municipal elections in places like Jerusalem, they don't sit on the same councils as Jews as union members / students / whatever. Publishing Arab newspapers with a Hebrew edition, at least on the net, would be a good first phase (and vise-versa for Hebrew newspapers, obviously). Publicizing Arab issues in Hebrew.

The Communist party (good people, you may want to google Dov Hanin and co) (which is occasionally counted among the Arab parties only because it:) has submitted more laws to the Knesset dealing improving the conditions of the Israeli-Arabs than the rest of the Arab parties combined. Just publicizing the poor conditions of Arab settlements, Arab schools etc may help. Particularly if there's a strong emphasis on "do you want these millions to be your comrades or your enemies? Either they're citizens or they aren't". I'm not saying "go join the army and earn your rights as a citizen" - just Am I Not a Man and a Brother, no more, no less.

On the Jewish side. First of all, though everyone are required to study Arabic, no one has to pass it to graduate. Change that on the spot - make it the equivalent of math or English, which you have to know on some level if you want your bagrut. Pretty sure that everyone speaking the same language would help a tad.

About how many Israelis do you think are fluent in Arabic right now, if you're willing to speculate? I think that would be a great way to reduce misunderstandings on the civil level.

e: I wonder how many Arab Israelis speak fluent Hebrew? That's a good followup question, since knowing Hebrew is a definite gate for entering into Israeli society.

Xander77 posted:

The Branja - the evil gang that apparently controls the ~~~media~~~ is ostensibly a bunch of peaceniks. Prove it. Promote Arabs as a part of the regular media. Not "a special correspondent" that gets pulled out only when dealing with sectarian issues. Have an Arab commentator in the studio when talking about vaccinations. Include an Arab member in your band (even if only on the drums) even though you're not an explicitly political group. Don't make special reports about ethnic group x eating ethnic food y in ethnic location z - just give the recipe for said food and have an interview with the cook.

I'm not familiar with the term "Branja". Could you expand on this? I'm assuming it's similar to the way American rightists refer to "the mainstream media". And I agree, inclusiveness would go a long way to opening a dialogue between Jewish Israelis and Israeli Arabs.

Xander77 posted:

Normalize Arab presence in mainstream Israeli society. That's what both sides should be pushing for. Just phrase the question as sharply as possible: "friend or foe". We're not yet at the point where the majority is going to answer "foe". Azmi Bishara (RIP) (except not really) had the right idea - just run for Prime Minister and ask "is that a problem? What? What?"

(Possibly) More importantly, call out and keep calling out bullshit like the first paragraph. I still bring up the first time I've seen the head of Im Tirzu (towering over a Palestinian student) half his size and screaming in her face) every time they are mentioned (then, if anyone is still interested, there's a big exposition on my time as a Civil Guard volunteer and my encounter with Yad Le Ahim). Narrow the overtone window and defenestrate them. It can get kinda tiresome (when I have the time, I'll write out my big "Conservative worldview vs liberal worldview" screed and point out why "how would you like to be in their place doesn't really work") but that's the day by day thing.
I'd be interested to read about your encounter with Yad Le Ahim. Thank you for posting all this information. This thread is basically the apex of hostility in D&D, and you have good facts and experiences that are helpful to the discussion, even though I disagree with some points you've made.

e: I'm sorry I keep editing this post, there's just a lot of really useful information you've provided and I keep going over it again and finding new stuff to think about! You mentioned that the society isn't yet at the point where the majority believes Israeli Arabs are "foes". Do you see a trend going that direction? What would happen if the majority does answer this way? What can be done to avert this?

illrepute fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 11, 2014

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
Thanks for that effort post. I'm glad you got your fee deduction. I woulda done the same thing you did, leave that post and never look back.

The increase in anti-arab racism is an extremely worrying trend.

e: In general, the degree to which racism plays a part in the conflict is extremely discouraging. Palestinian holocaust denial gives me the willies, even though I'm largely sympathetic to their side of the discussion. It's all part of this dehumanizing campaign waged by parties in conflict.

illrepute fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 11, 2014

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Obama's letting' Israel know that they've had enough fun and it's time to put their toys away before America gets a little annoyed - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-28258448

That's actually pretty interesting. Contrast it to 2006, when Washington specifically delayed United Nations proceedings in order to give Israel more time to attempt to pull a victory out of Lebanon. Or, hell, even 2008 or 2012, when the U.S. basically looked the other way and whistled.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Kaal posted:

It's because applying that same kind of simplistic framework to "Israeli occupation - right or wrong" is equally problematic. Does the question apply to the entire Jewish presence since the beginning of the Mandate, or just a specific time period (and why)? Is the question focused on specific areas (i.e. Gaza/West Bank) or the entirety of the region? Are we talking about the specifically problematic elements of the occupation, or everything related to the state of Israel? Is the question asking whether it's the right response to the situation for the decision-makers, or in a larger moral scope on a global humanitarian level? Are competing hypotheticals or behaviors being applied here, or is the concept being examined in isolation? What is the role of right/wrong in the larger discursive construct? Where do exterior influences fit into all of this?

A simple response of "Yes" or "No" doesn't start to address any of these questions. The topic is simply too broad. And that's because the question isn't actually intended to be illuminating - it's simply trying to score a rhetorical lay-up. Normally the best response to this sort of debate tactic is simply to respond to the question that should have been asked, but I instead tried to reply in good faith and there's been whining about it ever since.

Is the current bombing, that is happening right now, of Gaza, undertaken in response to the killing of three Israeli teenagers, which has been blamed on Hamas, for which no evidence has yet been revealed, that has killed 80+ people, about half of whom are civilians, wrong?

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Dude, it's like, complicated, man. You can't just "answer" "questions" like "is killing nearly one hundred oppressed innocent people with military bombers wrong". What is wrong, anyways? Morality is all, like, relative, man. And history is super complicated. Saying anything at all, literally, anything at all, would be, like, completely reductionist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZbqAMEwtOE

"When you say 'killing Gazans', what do you mean?"

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

FRINGE posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-28258448
[/b]

* "Terrorists" is defined as "people we killed" of course. Hasbara!

Many of them were definitely members of Hamas. However, since Israel hasn't actually revealed its evidence that Hamas was behind the abductions- and Hamas has denied it- we can't pretend it's hunky-dory. What a nuisance.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

It's true, but they haven't provided any evidence either. Right now we've got Netanyahu and Obama's word for it, and I don't particularly trust either. I'm willing to believe Hamas was behind it, if they provide some evidence. Hell, any evidence. Right now we've got nothing, and my view won't change until that does. Even then, in the likely outcome that Hamas was behind it, that doesn't justify something like an absurd %50 civilian casualty rate. Women and Children are not Hamas militants, and probably many men too.

Cat Mattress posted:

Is there a single Palestinian political party that Israel doesn't consider to be terrorists?

To my knowledge, it considers Fatah (the party that controls most of the administration in the West Bank) legitimate.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Volkerball posted:

That's fair, but at the same time, even with no evidence, with those two intelligence forces claiming Hamas at least played a role (consider one of the victims was American), it's very unlikely they didn't. Hell, even without those statements, it'd still most likely be Hamas.

Yeah, definitely, but if Israel has evidence, it should be public knowledge before the war starts, not after. That's.. sorta how these things work. Generally. You don't just blame a group for a heinous attack and dispense justice until guilt has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt. Or, hell, evidence provided at all other than waving your arms at them and going "Duh!!". Both the Obama administration (in its recalcitrance in releasing the justification for killing Anwar Al-Awlaki) and Netanyahu (a list too long to compose in one post) are guilty of opacity in this regard. It also goes against Hamas's MO, what with their denial of, rather than immediate acceptance and rejoicing of, the attack. They seem pretty drat publicly happy about firing off those rockets.

They probably did do it, but probably isn't good enough.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
Compare:

This is what modern guided missiles are capable of.

This is what Crazy Omar's Discount Jihad gets you.

Doesn't it seem a tad excessive?

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
I agree. However, it also doesn't make sense for Hamas to have killed the teenagers, since, like Gilad Shalit, they'd be much more useful as bargaining chips for the release of Palestinians alive rather than dead (which is the main reason Hamas would have for abducting them). Note that Mashaal doesn't say anything about the teenagers' deaths, I'm assuming this came out before this was known. How soon after the kidnapping were the teenagers killed?

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Volkerball posted:

He also said something about "freeing Palestinian prisoners," which I assume was a reference to doing prisoner exchanges. The bodies were found over two weeks after the abduction, but Shin Bet* said they believed they were killed "shortly" after being abducted.

Yeah, so it's weird. I bet that Hamas did it with the intent to trade them alive for detained Palestinians, the kidnapping went wrong, and they shot them, then dumped them in the desert. But right now there's no reason to specifically blame Hamas rather than, say, a splinter group, or one of the numerous other Palestinian groups operating in the West Bank, etc. All of those are plausible guesses, but only one group gives them the justification to smack down Gaza for the third time in six years.

Not forgetting, also, that this took place in the West Bank, whereas Hamas' traditional stomping grounds aren't there, but in Gaza.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Cat Mattress posted:

It has changed at some point then, because Fatah was definitely considered a terrorist organization in the past.

Oh, you mean overall? You should have specified. I'm pretty sure every single Palestinian political party has been designated a terrorist group at one time or another. At the moment, Fatah are seen as the 'legitimate' representation of the Palestinian people, while Hamas are seen as dangerous radicals. The PLO (led by Fatah) has previously been bombed out of its strongholds, then it became the PLA, and was again occasionally bombed. Now that Fatah formed a unity government with Hamas (again under the umbrella of the PLA) they seem to be legitimate bombing targets again, according to Netanyahu, who has criticized Fatah for dealing with Hamas. Land of contrasts.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
Hasbara is definitely a thing, but we actually can't assume people posting here are doing so in bad faith. It poisons the chance for real dialogue. Like, for example, Xander77. He seems like an okay dude who has good information and a different perspective. I addressed him confrontationally first, and that accomplished nothing. When we stepped back and had another go, I got a chance to learn his experiences in Israel, and he seems like a pretty ok guy whose only crime is having different opinions about Israel on the internet. He is concerned about racism against Arabs in Israel and worried that the chance for dialogue is closing fast. He's not someone's token "I'm one of the good guys!" posters, he's got his own opinions, just like everyone.

Kaal might be an incorrigible clown and you know what, maybe even is a paid shill. But since I can't prove it, I might as well just ignore that and fight clean. This isn't about winning word duels in care boxes, it's about posting with honor.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
The correct response is to take the bait then koolaid-man right through the walls of the cage, a whoopin' and a hollerin' :getin:

These colors don't run, son!

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
22 children. Yeah, definitely, this is cool. This is reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

GaussianCopula posted:

So she draws parallels between the holocaust and what the IDF is doing?

She must think all the Nazi propaganda about the jewish world conspiracy are true, because otherwise I can not understand how you can even bring up the holocaust in this situation.

If the palestinians want peace it's so loving easy. They take all their weapons/rockets, put them on a large pile and burn them. Next they say that they accept the state of Israel as a jewish state and wish for the US, Russia and China to setup a peace conference with the Israelis, negotiate a peace treaty without being stubborn about any issue and in about 3month they have their own independent nation, which might not be exactly as they whish, but it will be a hell of a lot better than the situation today. Failing that many thousand more palestinians will die in the decades to come.

If the Israelis want peace it's so loving easy. They can literally stop bombing Gaza, settle a truce, withdraw their settlements and retreat back to the 1967 borders. Boom, I've solved the conflict forever. But it won't happen, because Israel doesn't want peace, as their government has shown over and over again.

• Locked thread