Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

bawbzilla posted:

I was thinking about some gimmicky things

I would also like to hear if anyone has stupid gimmicks I can use in 5e, not to be really powerful but just very specifically useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
My friends and I are playing 5e and we're having plenty of fun. I've never played a D&D or anything like that but it seems okay. We're all baby level 2 players and my wizard appears to suck terribly at this point. When am I supposed to come alive and actually help the barbarian and monk in fights?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Somebody mentioned balancing high end casters with exhaustion levels a while back. Was that a fully fleshed out homebrew or just an idea in the moment?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Nancy_Noxious posted:

Brand recognition is brain damage.

It seems that designing non-D&D RPGs is a loser's game. Few people will play your game, or even know about it, and even if they do know about it, it's an uphill battle against misinformation and bad faith (see the kind of mean spirited slandering Monsterhearts and Strike were subjected to in this very thread).

So how long has your system been out?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Your cantrips can pretty much be your basic way to fight poo poo while your spells are complete momentum changers. Early on it's better to just chill in the back and play your harmonica magically or whatever, but you can just do you and chase your bliss if it's stabbing dudes instead.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Thumbtacks posted:

Fantastic. I'll probably go Lore then, if I absolutely need to hit things I'll figure it out. I think ideally she wouldn't be particularly good at actual melee combat and would go out of her way to avoid stabbing people. The backstory I've come up with is a bit silly, and she's proficient in bagpipes specifically because of the incident that gave her a limp, which was amusing, at least to me. But ultimately I want to focus more on supporting from range and letting other people stab/crush/grapple things instead of doing it myself.

Inspiration dice and cutting words cannot be overstated in their value toward this goal

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
If I just gave a fighter the Champion archetype poo poo for free while they level into one of the other ones how would that balance out?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Somewhere it explicitly states that you can interact with something for free once a round. Something like drawing or picking up a weapon as well a list of other miscellaneous stuff I can't remember. So you could disarm someone and snag the weapon in one turn I think.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
When a cantrip says it gets stronger at levels 5 13 and whatever does it mean total level or class level that the cantrip originates from?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

The Dregs posted:

So, if I let them stay as a normal level one guy, but just give everyone 10 extra hit points, would that be OK? Then just have them not get hit dice for the next two levels or so?

gently caress it, give 'em 20 extra hp at level one and just let them get hit dice as normal. The buffer will matter less and less as they level up anyway.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

If you want to just flat out survive: Half-Orc Barbarians get reduced physical damage, will have the highest HP total unless the fighter has a 20 in Constitution and you have less than 16 and Half-Orcs can survive a blow that would normally knock them out at 1 hp instead once per long rest. Grab a greataxe and start yelling at things.

This but a goliath who can spend a reaction to just not take 1d12 of damage

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

The Crotch posted:

Or someone taking a big hit when they're already below max HP and dropping to -max in one go. Remember, the centaur - a CR 3 creature - can do 1d10+2d6+18 damage, or an average of 30, in one round with a charge. Negative max HP is only generous when you have respectable max HP.

Iirc once you're at 0 any damage becomes a failed death save rather than hitting you further into the negatives right?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
His skeletons rise from the dead with a sunny disposition and a can do attitude

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I wasn't allowed to reroll a level 3 wizard to a warlock because I started as a wizard and it wouldn't even be the same guy if he wasn't a wizard

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Goliath bear totem barbarian to level 6, 1 level of rogue for athletics expertise. By the rules you don't even make checks to lift poo poo thats 2400lbs or less. Something like that.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

nelson posted:

My group is starting a new campaign and I've decided rogue thief looks interesting. I'm looking at the burglar starter kit but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing with the string and bell. Any advice?

Probably an alarm or distraction

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Proficiency is added to a d20 roll. If your boy is playing cards he adds +2 or whatever at level 1 when he rolls to see if he wins.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Huckabee Sting posted:

I wanna give it a shot. My players are excited to try it, too. I really disliked a lot of what 13th Age offered. Recharge dice rolls, saves, backgrounds, powers only working on specific dice rolls. There's probably more if I put more thought into it.

Any real advice?

No real advice here dog. Mostly just haters. Just post

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

mango sentinel posted:

Reminder that being forced out of range does not provoke an opportunity attack.

How about compelled movement from fear spells?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

SettingSun posted:

I don't have my book in front of me, but what makes Moon Druids so meaty?

Kurieg posted:

Wild shape mechanics and the ability to turn into very large bears.

CaPensiPraxis posted:

Bonus action to transform into a full hp large beast.. and when that hp runs out to turn into the same said beast at full hp again and when that runs out to operate at their own full hp.

They effectively have a triple health bar.

Also while transformed they can burn spell slots as a BONUS action to heal 1d8 per spell level

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Moon druids are so loving dope

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Speaking of spooky strahd, if I'm trying to run a spooky two session bloodborne ripoff what are some tricks to make my bros dehumanize and face to spookiness?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
My group is ungodly slow. We get through like maybe 1 fight per session and maybe some chit chat with npcs. Mostly its tons of deliberation about how to best walk down a hallway and perception checks every third tile just in case that algae might be dangerous.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

P.d0t posted:

I sort of wish they just let you make attacks with Light weapons as a Bonus Action, full stop.
Make a quick jab with a dagger, then use your Action to Dodge, etc.

In a way it seems like you can right? Off hand weapon is a bonus action with no damage bonus. If you're already dual wielding it seems semantic to say you can't just swing the off hand weapon.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

GruntyThrst posted:

Okay I've got a new group I'm playing in that has a bard and a rogue, so I'm thinking I'll be something beefy. My question for you is this: are martial classes super boring and/or gimped in 5e? I'm skimming the thread but to be fair it's 853 pages.

Martials are pretty good until like level 5, which by the way takes for-loving-ever, and according to everyone falls off after that. Battlemaster and Eldritch Knight paths are cool imo for the extra options. If your table will eventually multiclass then starting martial has tons of benefits no matter where you go.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Eldritch knight can be a pretty good option for that imo depending on your spell selection. Stuff like fog cloud and shield are intelligence independent spells with lots of utility.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

User0015 posted:

The rogue is a halfling actually. I read about it and heard Commander's strike isn't good because of it costing all your actions essentially. Trip, riposte and precision strike were all recommended, plus whichever strike lets you terrify an opponent.

Riposte is pretty meh, I think commander strike only uses up one swing out of your 'attack' action and could really up the synergy between you and rogueman

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

The Crotch posted:

What's the consensus on eldritch knight vs fighter/wizard multiclass, anyway?

Personally, I pick similar spells regardless and mostly play at lower levels so I keep playing my wizard and saying "drat, I wish I weren't so flimsy" but never play my fighter and find myself saying "drat I wish I had a good spell DC"

My experience is very biased to low level play, but our group has a lot of outside interests and play biweekly so low level is how the party rocks.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
5e is fine. Stop telling people they're not having fun the right way you weird creeps.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
So whats the time period, aesthetically speaking, of the Strahd world?

My buddy wants to DM it soon and if we actually took this one a little more seriously and played to type he'd probably shed tears of joy.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Do what I do. Unfollow this thread unless you have a question. That way you don't have to watch a bunch of idiots argue about the best way to get drunk with your friends and talk about dwarves and poo poo.

The reason I never played any board games or rpgs for so long was because I assumed that the people you see in this thread exemplified the types of people I'd meet at the table.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
You are all bad people.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Don't do the hack rear end enemy women and children bit. Play poker with the troops or something instead.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Klungar posted:

If you roll a critical hit and have an ability that lets you "roll an additional weapon dice/die" when this happens, and you are using a 2d6 weapon, does that mean you roll an additional 2d6, or just an additional 1d6? If it's the latter, is it better to use a 1d12 weapon to capitalize on the critical damage bonuses, even if it means doing slightly less damage than a 2d6 weapon on normal attacks?

If you're talking about that half orc thing then yes, that's correct.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Klungar posted:

Half-Orc and Barbarian seem to both have this ability, so if I'm understanding this correctly (since I'm not quite sure which proposition your 'yes' refers to), a Half-Orc Barbarian with a Greataxe does 3d12(1d12+1d12+1d12) weapon die damage, where as a Half-Orc Barbarian with a Greatsword does 4d6(2d6+1d6+1d6) weapon die damage?

Sort of? That's how we do it at my table but the internet interprets it like: crits double your damage dice, but the half orc trait only adds ONE damage die so a level 1 crit from a half orc with a greatsword looks like 2d6+2d6+1d6+modifier and with a greataxe its 1d12+1d12+1d12+modifier

Further up the barbarian tree I think its worded the same way. So a level 17 half orc barbarian gets like 6d12 on a crit.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Krinkle posted:

This is the thing that agonized me. Also I have great weapon master or whatever from paladin fighting style so when I swing and get a 1 on damage I get to reroll it, so, do I want to swing this maul for 2d6 for twice the chance to goose the damage up? Or this greataxe hoping for that crit to slap another d12 on it from being a half orc. I don't know.

I'm looking forward to rolling up a simple half orc barbarian next time we run something new so I can just carry around some d12s and roll to attack instead of a full compliment of every size die and keeping track of spell slots and save dcs and ranged magic attacks and melee spell attacks and verbal/somatic components

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Sage Genesis posted:

I think he's got some... ideas... about how cool and badass old school was. Back when men were men, uphill both ways in the snow, etc.

Edit:
And guys, look, I know it's a poo poo method. But it's just a short mini-campaign, I expect it won't even reach 10 sessions. So I'm not really bothered too much by the scores, I'm just trying to make it work.

If you're vigilant with your spell selection you can break the game just by being a pure caster

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Divination wizzzerd

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
In one of my games everyone took the standard array except one guy who rolled 4d6 pick your stats and he ended up being way overpowered. Go figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Arivia posted:

I explained it in one of the posts you quoted, for gently caress's sake. Look, if you're not prepared or don't want to think about things critically (and it's obvious you don't), then okay. It's elfgames. Being shallow in your hobbies isn't a crime. But don't stink up conversations involving people who are being critical when you aren't prepared to contribute on the most basic level.

You're right. They are incompatible (not incomparable.) That's why you need to learn to shut up when people are having discussions and you don't have anything to contribute.

You're kind of a poo poo head.