Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Big Beef City posted:

how do those steam cards even work like it doesn't make sense that they have any value at all

The same could be said of all fiat currencies, anyway, have you heard about Ron Paul? Let me get you some literature...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Berious posted:

Don't care about DRM or whatever but every time I'll feel like playing a game I'll start Steam then it'll take maybe half a minute to get completely loaded up then it'll want to update Steam yet again for no discernible improvements and by then I've gone off the idea of playing anything. Plus it's a slow piece of poo poo even when it isn't updating for once and in 2014 for mods and so forth we can't even select which version of a game we'd want to play - it's either the latest or gently caress you. Yet people rave about Steam like it's the best thing ever. It's a piece of poo poo.

Thank you for reading.

delete clientregistry.blob

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Arian_Samurai posted:

Why do people buy my steam cards? Who are these retards?

wait wait wait i can actually sell this garbage

do you have any tips for getting the most money from it

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Ruggington posted:

May I see it?

Mmm... no.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Remember when Half Life 2 came out in 2004 and you had to unlock or sync or whatever it did with Steam? And everyone in the world was doing it at the same time? That was pretty cool

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

toggle posted:

Remember when Half Life 2 came out in 2004 and you had to unlock or sync or whatever it did with Steam? And everyone in the world was doing it at the same time? That was pretty cool

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Big Beef City posted:

how do those steam cards even work like it doesn't make sense that they have any value at all

ive probably made like $40 dumping steam cards for 15 cents apiece

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

The good old days where unlocking a game would freeze your computer for 10+ minutes because dual core processors didn't exist yet.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

The real money is in cs weapons. I sold an m4a4-s for 60 euros lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pleasure to chill posted:

lol

Also could someone recommend a fun squad based game that's on Steam? I already beat the new X-com game.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

All I ever bought from Steam was old id games, and instead of going into Steam and playing them through there, I just fired up DosBox, or newer engines, directly. I guess this terrible mistake cost me a lot of imaginary money :(

Edit: I'm assuming this is like Bitcoin, and by posting a sob story, people will donate me like 0.0001c in cards or something? Where do I go to beg for donations?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
It's a good song OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt87bLX7m_o

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Buttcoin purse posted:

All I ever bought from Steam was old id games, and instead of going into Steam and playing them through there, I just fired up DosBox, or newer engines, directly. I guess this terrible mistake cost me a lot of imaginary money :(

Edit: I'm assuming this is like Bitcoin, and by posting a sob story, people will donate me like 0.0001c in cards or something? Where do I go to beg for donations?

Just connect with people, have a good time, and be good, and they will be good in kind.

seriously though be nice to people and youll get the games

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Wtf really?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gleep gloop posted:

Wtf really?

Yup rich nerds will pay big bucks for a random gun unlock or TF2 silly hat.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Burns
May 10, 2008

Steam has also become a nice replacement for msn messenger

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

etalian posted:

Yup rich nerds will pay big bucks for a random gun unlock or TF2 silly hat.

I guess I need to start playing CS.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Valve is one of the least-lovely game developers out there. Since games are a hobby, I need them cheaply, and sometimes I want some stupid indie poo poo instead of something a publisher like EA would never consider touching.

Giving valve money and using a service that lets developers that aren't under the EA/Activision/Ubisoft publishing umbrella is good to me.

Aside from GoG other digital distribution isn't very good, either.

It's kind of mandatory for PC gaming now.

It's also got a list of most of the games I want to play, and there's a lot to be said for the convenience of having a list of games you own that can be delivered to you on demand, without having to keep physical media.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
because they are dumb nerds that like bad things, also valve is a bad company that makes (made) bad games

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

gggiiimmmppp posted:

ive probably made like $40 dumping steam cards for 15 cents apiece

All you had to do was buy thousands of dollars worth of games.

Also you made $40 in steambux, not real money.

I sell steam to people by telling them it is 'iTunes, but for games'

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

McDowell posted:

All you had to do was buy thousands of dollars worth of games.

Also you made $40 in steambux, not real money.

I sell steam to people by telling them it is 'iTunes, but for games'

It is pretty cool buying a Humble Bundle for a dollar and then making more than that selling the cards you get from the games

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Was/isnt there some guy in games trying to like use steam as his sole source of income and every time valve changes a thing he gets angry in the steam thread about how he's having a harder time now paying his rent using internet hat money.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Dicky B posted:

except in all probability they were going to use their money to buy video games eventually anyway, so lmao at your bad post

This is another positive. Play games to get items to sell to people to buy more games. Now I can finally tell my mum I have a job playing games and that it pays. Take that mum. Realistically as long as I make a certain amount of money from selling poo poo by the next financial year I will probably have enough steambux to buy everything I want out of a major sale.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 7, 2014

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I was making dollars a day on steam cards, then I get a message that if I sell any more Steam has to get my tax info. No thanks feds!

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It is pretty cool buying a Humble Bundle for a dollar and then making more than that selling the cards you get from the games

That's how I do it, but recently I actually had to buy a game from them because to sell cards you had to have bought an item from Steam in the last year. It turns out that redeeming Steam keys from bundles do not count as Steam purchases. Oh well, I'll be back to selling cards in a few days anyway as I spent some of my card money to buy a game during their summer sale for 99 cents and I have in my inventory at least $20 in cards to sell to some sucker.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

adding more than one thing to your cart in steam is frustrating because it takes you to the cart everytime you add sometthing and then you have to navigate back to the game page.
CONTINUE SHOPPING takes you back to the main store page
Lots of clicks to buy cheap DLC when its on sale cos you gotta go back to the game page, expand the list of DLC, find where you were up to then click that dlc and wait for that page to load then click add to cart then navigate back to the game again

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
One big issue with steam is that there aren't enough golf games

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Hollenhammer posted:

adding more than one thing to your cart in steam is frustrating because it takes you to the cart everytime you add sometthing and then you have to navigate back to the game page.
Lots of clicks to buy cheap DLC when its on sale cos you gotta go back to the game page, expand the list of DLC, find where you were up to then click that dlc and wait for that page to load then click add to cart then navigate back to the game again

its interface and storefront are super terrible

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BKPR posted:

I was making dollars a day on steam cards, then I get a message that if I sell any more Steam has to get my tax info. No thanks feds!

IRS would be confused by made income due to selling virtual hats to nerds.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Ponce de Le0n posted:

Was/isnt there some guy in games trying to like use steam as his sole source of income and every time valve changes a thing he gets angry in the steam thread about how he's having a harder time now paying his rent using internet hat money.

Holy poo poo please tell me this is a real thing

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hollenhammer posted:

use browser, middle click everything you might want to buy to open them in new tabs

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Yivgev posted:

i saw a person who was level 140 on steam today and i wanted to kill them in real life for being such a worthless piece of poo poo

Valve managed to make buying games into a game itself and somehow people fell for it. I wish I'd been the one who came up with that idea.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

gleep gloop posted:

Wtf really?

The best thing is that the guns you can buy and sell are exactly the same as the stock ones. Some (like the one I sold) track the number of kills you have with thatr weapon, but aside from that the difference is purely cosmetic. Price is dictated by the rarity of the item and its condition (worn, factory new, etc). We are talking about pixels here...

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ArfJason posted:

Just connect with people, have a good time, and be good, and they will be good in kind.

seriously though be nice to people and youll get the games

lol you whore

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

i have never asked for anything in my life.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

why did you take those screenshots

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Because https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr2GdRBDOmU

and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUo1PgKksgw

and especially https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRxcSNaVCPA

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

It still amazes me that Steam ever succeeded considering it started out as a dump for Half Life mods. I wonder what they're gonna push with HL3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
OP steam runs well on my computer; i5 3570K, 8G ram, R9 280x, win7 pro. Let me know if this helps, thanks.

• Locked thread