Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Voting Burlusts for katamari of guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Arglebargle III posted:

"the storerooms of badness"

I think I had a city in Dwarf Fortress with that name.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Hmmm, I find myself pretty torn here. On the one hand, I am a lazy rear end in a top hat, but I just can't argue with Owls on Drugs.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

One Turn Plan: no
Justice Act of 3000: no.
Tryhard Galactic Standard of Living Bill: yes.
Peltian Quality of Life Act: yes.
No Aid to Terrorists Act: no.
Initial Galactic Stimulus Act: yes
Legislative Blitz: no
Prevention of Genocide Act:No

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

sniper4625 posted:

Hello, you guys are missing Eiba's proposal, please update your votes ASAP! This goes for anyone else, please make sure you have a vote (abstains count, I guess), on all 9! proposals. If you miss a proposal, it will tentatively be an abstain.

gently caress man, blame the guy I quoted. (And why aren't you ragging on his rear end, huh?) I'm like, way too couch-locked here to go back and edit a post, so I'll just have to say no to whatever that thing you just said.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Wiz posted:

Three and half hours left until vote closes.

In the meanwhile, all Councillors who are tired of the debate are welcome to join Harry in the TV room. The Andorian Roboticists Network is showing Top Model.

Man I'm already there. Shiiiiiit, I bet with four heads you could take the biggest bong rips.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Rogue0071 posted:

Literally none of these would be any different than the impact of voting down the Justice Act and passing the One Turn Plan

Then why the hell were they in the bill? If language has no practical effect but to make it part of public record that Evucks are doo-doo heads, why burden your legislation with it? Just save it for your stump speeches.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Hey guys let's get together and talk about policy decisions and poo poo for our first Owls On Drugs Legislative Think Tank. Please speak clearly into the microphone and remember to take deep breaths:

We should probably blow those pirates up or something, should make for an awesome light show. Also I guess we need to set up some trade routes and colonize some moons so Lycian gets some molly. My hommies planetside need to be rollin'.

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 19, 2014

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

sniper4625 posted:

A quick question - as a month will not be sufficient to properly sway the Andors (as far as I know), would this override the other bills calling on us to get the Andors to make peace? Technically it doesn't even call for us to make speeches! The whole bill is vague and confusing.

poo poo, man, our buddy Quad-Head is a smart guy. I'm sure we can just him with the details.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Justice Act of 3003: Abstain
Building Solidarity Act: Yes
Quit Bein' Mad At Video Games Initiative: Yes
Andor Pacification Act: Abstain
Save Our Cheese Curls Act: Yes
Galactic Free Trade Act: Abstain
Wartime Economic Recovery Act: Yes
System Sophont Preservation Bill: Abstain
Solar Fight Night: Abstain

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Daaaaamn. When can we hitch a ride on the Prototype Longship anyway? This planet's gone total bummer ever since my old crane operatin' homie Al Pellets slipped and dropped one shipping container full of enriched uranium on top of another. Some criticality poo poo been goin' on ever since. I think the only reason they were using those flimsy-rear end shipping containers to move around fissile materials is so the workers could play Crane Jenga with empties on the off-hours. drat those guys are chill.

And dude, have you seen the new music videos coming out? Some Burlust number topped all the charts and all it is is some burlust fella screaming "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK" over a slideshow of photographs of the other species for about an hour. Trippy I guess but kinda crimps the whole Peace And Love vibe we're trying to do nowadays, man.

How's the molybdenum supply on Moonbase Alpha by the way?

Yo boss, check this out:

wiz posted:

It appears that around 5-10 million more are dying than born on Lycian each month due to the disaster. With a 54 month duration, this means the population of the planet is going to shrink between 270 and 540 million (it is currently 1.1 billion) before it ends. The only things that can feasibly be done about it is boost medical RCI to reduce death rate and building meat vats to improve birth rate.

Sounds like it's time we encourage folks planetside to legalize Medical Marijuana and start up a new beef jerky plant.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

realtalk: Things have got pretty busy for me this week, to the point that I'm not as capable of keeping up with this thread as I'd like to be, but I'm still doing my best to watch and see how things are unfolding. Besides saving Lycian from a radioactive mutant owl disaster, what's the plan for our next proposals?

realtalk: I guess you could add a rider directing Wiz to use whatever means necessary and convenient to stop the Burlusts and Thoraxians from killing each other. Missed an opportunity last time because everyone was over-complicating it.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

In recognition of the piratical horror that we unleashed on the solar system by failing to treat all of our brothers as equals, the Owls On Drugs Party proposes that we work to amend relations between empires and soothe hurt feelings via the best means we know how to employ. The Peace and Love Act entails the following:

Put an end to this weird-rear end Burlust hate that's getting around. I mean, it's a cool music video and all but still "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK" over and over again over photographs of various races' political leaders begins to get old no matter how messed up I am while listening. Dunno how we're going to stop the hate though. Maybe they'll feel better once we show them just how tripped-out the interior of the Prototype Longship has become; I mean poo poo man have you checked out what we did to the bridge? One click of a button and it's the sweetest TV room you ever laid eyes on. Just don't kill any Burlusts in the doing because that's some terrorists-have-won poo poo right there.
Improve relations with the Acutians and Evucks. Hey, it's not their fault that a bunch of their people defected and became weird spiky death pirates. Maybe if we get on better terms we'll get yo-ho-ho TCH-infused Captain Morgan pirates with lace and peg legs and poo poo instead of the boring gently caress everything pirates.
Gather up some resources and manpower and build a science outpost. It will be open to stoner buds of all races and will eventually form the governing seat of the Last Federation. We need to do that sometime, man. Anyways, if we don't have the resources to build this right away, get some, yo.
Save the World. By which I mean Lycian I guess I mean that's the world that needs saving hey guys wanna watch Captain Planet? I wonder if it'll have any tips on how to recover from a freaky criticality accident brought about by a crane operator who got high as hell. Maybe we should improve the environment and distribute herbal medicines.

Any of my brothers wanna weigh in? The discussions for other acts are all about trade routes and poo poo.

If we want to calm down the Burlust hate-boner, we should probably add something about ending that war ASAP.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Justice Act of 3007: No
CCCP Act: No
The Act in Which We Seduce the Queen: Yes
Peace and Love Act: Yes
Preemptive Federal Economic Design Act: Yes
Path towards Federation Act: Yes
MOP-UP: Yes
Facilitate Communications and Terminate Hostilities Act: No

Man, those haters are really harshing my buzz. Y'all need to learn not the sweat the small stuff. Everything else seems cool and in line with peace, love, and cheese curls.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
There sure are a lot of people voting against the Peace and Love act because of vague wording. As if our previous bills were the height of legalistic precision.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Besides, if people want to be part of a low-effort party that actually proposes legislation they can just join the Owls On Drugs.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Cythereal posted:

Depends on how you role play it, really. I've always RPed my Thoraxian as being perfectly okay with the possibility that the Thoraxians would have to be eradicated - abrogation of the self and all that. It doesn't have a dog in any of the legislative fights and I only joined the Owls On Drugs because of all the nonsense flying around about the non-aligned voters and the Lazy Bastards claiming me as one of theirs. And really, what harm could one drunk Thoraxian do to a bunch of stoned owls?

Man, if you like, ate a whole bunch of shrooms, would the whole hive start tripping balls? Or would that only work if the queen did it?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

After much deliberation and discussion as well as a fortune spent on pizza, the Owls On Drugs present to this Council the Aella House Party Act. It is as follows:

Throw a huge party on Aella. Like, go down there and I'll kick back and get wasted with all my new Peltian space pirate buddies while Harry grabs everyone else and builds a huge-rear end Boarine warfleet over the course of a few months (doesn't the building get like 20 times faster when he's around?). Spend like 5000 credits on that poo poo, just assisting with armada construction for as long as it takes for them to get their momentum on.

Invite all your friends. Can we like batphone the Peltian armada, the Andor armada, and any other buds who want to stop by and just get stupid in space over Aella? It's gonna be awesome, man.

Bring plenty of party favors. EMPTY THE loving HOLD. If they can give us any cred in exchange that would be awesome too. We're not doing this poo poo for free. Do some exchanges of some of the other squatters in our hold to pay for this poo poo we're gonna do. Just leave the Peltian pirates, okay? Those guys are fuckin' amazing. We were all circled around the hookah last night when one of them tells me he's gonna show me a great way to beat the blood-brain barrier, then he pulls up his eyepatch and sticks the hose in the socket and shiiiiiiiit man, you should have seen that guy.

Oh yeah and you other owls on drugs should totally get in touch sometime. If anyone else has any other provisions they want in the bill I'll totally get you hooked UP.

Sounds alright. I think it would be cool if we passed a blunt or two to the Evucks to see if they'll chill the gently caress out, but for that to happen the rest of the council would have to chill the gently caress out first. Might be too late for this war anyway. Still, way better to invite your neighbor over to share a hit than to piss 'em off and have 'em calling the cops anytime you throw a party.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Ugh, after this session where I skipped all the bill-making and couldn't even be bothered to vote, I think it's time I took my rightful place as a Lazy rear end in a top hat.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

sniper4625 posted:

Updated listing, accounting for inactivity and switches. If anyone believes they are un- or mis-listed, please let me know.

Man you know you missed me, but it would completely unfitting for my new affiliation to go back and quote my old post or anything.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Honestly, I think Viscardus has a point. (Or I thought I did but now I'm not sure that was the point he's trying to make.) I think this game has a lot more fiddly bits and reactivity Rome did, so it's a lot harder to accomplish anything in this legislative format, especially with certain parties shooting down anything that is too vague. So rather than being able to provide general guidelines for how Wiz should play and maybe a few specific actions, we have to be super specific about every action we want to take, and then Wiz can ignore opportunities that arise that would carry out the spirit of a bill in a much more efficient manner, but since nobody predicted that specific set of circumstance arising he just lets it pass and we don't even hear about in until it's too late.

It's kinda like if in Crete we had to pass legislation that said "Move the army to attack the hostile army in Athens" rather than "Fight the war until we have enough warscore to annex Thrace".

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Just jumping back in to say that I liked what the Owls On Drugs party was doing until the big parties (and Sniper (Yes I'm calling you out on bureaucratic partiality)) came in and said "No you can't have any vagueness in your bills or we'll tell all our party members to vote it down and they'll follow use without thinking." I honestly think "Do whatever to keep the cool owl men from dying from radiation" is better legislation than "Spend exactly XXXX credits to save the cool owl men from dying from radiation". Even the clause 'no more than X' is pretty bad because it still carries the connotation that Wiz should spend X on that thing, whereas if you give general directions I have to assume Wiz has the sense not to blow all the budget on one bill, and instead only spend what is a reasonable amount for the stated goal. Because the majority of us have never played this game and have no idea how much poo poo costs or what is a reasonable amount to pay for a thing.

tl;dr: Budgeting is super boring IRL, and it's even worse in forum games about computer games.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Rogue0071 posted:

The OOD bill this session was "send all of the weak fleets of people we like to get destroyed a vastly more powerful fleet", it wasn't rejected for the budget. Some things do need a budget or at least better guidance involved - "make these two races like each other" could be calling for a paid dispatch which costs 4-6,000 a month but does it very quickly or setting up trade routes/attitude buildings which are free/give you money but have a very gradual impact with very little in between, you kind of need to let other people know which one of those you want.

Honestly, I'd rather have legislation that just let Wiz do one of those based on what seems reasonable/his whims than to pick one, have it be the wrong one because I don't know a drat thing about this game, and watch one race get conquered because I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Rogue0071 posted:

Which of those is 'reasonable' depends entirely on what your intent is. If you're trying to set the stage for a long-term relationship, you want the slow, free route; if you're trying to just get the last few points quickly to get someone into the Fed or trying to avoid a war or something you want the quick, expensive option. Asking Wiz to pick between the two is asking him to decide the broad policy, which defeats the entire point of the legislative part of the LP. Making that kind of call, or a lot of similar ones, is something parties should be doing under the current system. If you want someone to look over your ideas and check the in-game feasibility of them, you could ask other people; we have a Skype channel where several people including myself, Visc, and Wiz are on regularly and can give game advice, for instance. I don't really check through each bill thoroughly until they are all finalized but I'm perfectly happy to answer any game mechanics questions I can if people ask directly in the thread, as well.

So now you're saying I need to install Skype to participate in game on the forums? No thanks.

e: to elaborate, you're not going to make this thread more fun and accessible to the masses by making us dedicate even more time and off-site communication to it.

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 8, 2014

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
No
Evucks

Is it possible to get a federation member to release a planet they're occupying? If it is, is there ANY chance of the released race ever wanting to be part of a federation that once occupied their home planet?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Here follows the official position of the founder of the Owls On Drugs.

Form Federation for Safety: Safety sounds pretty cool and it'll let us all chillax together. Yes on this one.
Preferred Space Police: Dude, this is a tough one. I want to say owls to this one (I say owls to everything when I'm sufficiently high, yo, it's some freaky poo poo) but it sounds like a whole lot of work and I'd probably wind up gettin' drafted again. So let's stick this one on the Andors because they're robot bros and they're cool.

Oh, and that new stadium is sweet as hell. Thanks, guys :)

You realize that the only system-wide peace keeper more effort to create than the Peltians is the Andors, right?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Tomn posted:

To those voting for the Evucks - may I ask why not the Acutians? They serve largely the same role in terms of power, but also have the additional advantage of being useful diplomatically - a replacement for the Skylaxians, it's been mentioned. The fact that they possess less raw power is an advantage in their favor, I would think - the Evucks would find it easier to go things alone, while the Acutians would require both our aid and the aid of their future Federation members more. Are we going for the Evucks simply because they have the most actual power? That's power enough to allow them to ignore us, keep in mind.

We have better relations with the Evucks currently. Also, they are friendly with the Peltians.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Frionnel posted:

What's this about getting evucks into the federation now?

Because otherwise they will murder the federation.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Hunnic Justice Act: No
Permanent Revolution Act: Yes
Growing Strong Act: Yes
Get the Evucks Act: Yes
The Patriot Act: No
Federal Expansion Bill: No
OFF Act: Yes
Post-Federation Stimulus Act: Yes
WTHDYTWA Act: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
And then there would be absolutely no point to the legislative sessions whatsoever.

• Locked thread