Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

therattle posted:

In our case there were fertility issues and this might be our only child, and that was probably a factor.

Haha, I can't decide if not being able to have kids or only being able to have Down's kids is a shittier deal.

Actually, I can. Not having kids is loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Hobohemian posted:

So in this thread we have downs dad desperately trying to rationalize a bad decision because he would rather force a child to live with a debilitating medical condition their entire life, only to be neglected after his parents die, than to adopt a perfectly healthy child that needed a home.

What an idiot.

Son, I love you so much that we didn't eliminate you before you could be born with a mental condition and instead let you be born with a mental condition that will cripple you for life.

Only a Down's person would get that logic.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

No matter what, I don't think anyone is ever going to say "gee, the world could really use more Down's cases" in response to the whole most Down's fetuses are aborted thing.

It would be pretty hosed up to suggest more people should have a mental disability.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

waitwhatno posted:

yeah, but now imagine that the building is actually a human fetus, also build totally wrong like the building. it has arms growing out of its rear end and so on. would it be okay to stop "constructing" that person before it's finished and start anew?

Why start over with the same moron designers after knocking the building down?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

loud dildo posted:

*in the voice of Bane* We must kill god.

Or the parents could not have kids just to have kids.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

waitwhatno posted:

nah, come on, aborting downs fetuses is pretty uncontroversial. got a lot worse than that, i think you americans had some kind of mandatory 'degenerates' register in some states back in the 30s. over here in europe some countries kept sterilized gypsies well into the 90s, holy poo poo does europe hate gypsies lol

Yeah, I think North Carolina just had to pay out for more or less randomly tying women's tubes for 70 years for various reasons.

Crying eugenics when talking about aborting fetuses with borked brains is kind of really dumb. They aren't even people. And by that I mean fetuses, not down's people in genneral, without them where would the WWE be today?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Appropriate, as Reddit is filled with Down's and macros both.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

The Taint Reaper posted:

So wait why are downs people a burden because they're supported by tax payer dollars?

Because abortions are supported by tax payer dollars too.

Something doesn't quite add up...

Actually, there's a strict prohibition in the US from using tax dollars to fund abortion because one really old democrat from Michigan kept saying it had to happen to get the ACA passed so they entertained him.

That aside, saying this is sort of like people who go "I don't have money to pay for an abortion!" and then have a kid despite the fact a kid costs way more than an abortion.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

That survey saying Down's people are happy is kind of dumb. If your family and social workers spend your entire life telling you how great you are because you remembered to put a shirt on in the morning you will be pretty happy with life. Plus, the WWE streams their pay-per-views now so you don't have to beg mom to order SummerSlam.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Coldbird posted:

has anyone ever used the word "society" outside the context of trying to rationalize crimes against humanity

Unless you consider lovely music a crime against humanity the Black Label Society fits the bill.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

dontcareaboutname posted:

can we just send them all downs to and island?

"We're going to send you to Down's Island...don't worry, it's just a name."
*Next scene, running from a band of retards*
"The judge said it was just a name!"
"What he meant was this is actually a peninsula."

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

she does have a low functioning autist brother but i assumed the obgyn told us that its a recommended test, regardless of any family history. of course im sure it would have came up eventually since i think its common to think about everything that could go wrong when you're pregnant.

The worst thing that could go wrong when you are pregnant is that you have a kid. I mean, I guess you could have a kid with Issues, but either way you have to raise some feeble-minded piss and poo poo machine with no recourse save for the sweet embrace of death.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

A Buttery Pastry posted:

People have been using the 90% statistic for abortion of Down's fetuses, but it's only in Europe that 92% of them are aborted. In the US, it's 67%, which means the US is going to end up with 4 times as many down's syndrome sufferers per capita if they don't do something about it. More actually, given the higher birth rate. Apparently the trend has been the exact opposite of that in recent years though, with more people deciding to keep their Down's babies. Makes me glad to live in Denmark, where free screening and a more lax attitude to abortion means the last Down's baby is going to be born in 2030 if the trends of the last decade holds.

So what your saying is that Americans are idiots about fetuses? Color me surprised.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Melchior posted:

Also they won't inoculate them and they will die horrible painful miserable deaths

Measles are hip and trendy and every kid in Aiden's class has them so may as well go along with the herd.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Melchior posted:

do you have to try to be so aggressively stupid or does it come naturally?

He was supposed to be aborted, but his mom thought it would be fun to have a down's baby.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

dontcareaboutname posted:

so we just turn them into hobos? I say we ship them to any european countries who have bleeding heart and will just house them for us. toss them on a big rubber duck raft and send them afloat.

According to one of the other posters on this page Europe aborts 30% more down's fetuses than the US, so I doubt that's a good plan.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 31, 2014

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

gypsies are unironically loving awful and i would rather kill them than cool retards or even gay people

My wife was talking about her experience with gypsies in Europe the other day, including the time one ended up spitting in her eye and stealing her passport because she refused to give her change on the subway.

Also not uncommon for them to grab babies out of women's arms and force them to pay a ransom.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Mnemosyne posted:

The problem is a little more complicated than that though. Depending upon what type of impairment we're talking about, the disabled child has a good chance of outliving the parents. Even if the parents are willing to take care of that child for their entire lives, what happens when they die?

My best friend's aunt has severe mental retardation. Not Downs, but she's mentally the equivalent of a 6 year old. Her mother (my friend's grandmother) cared for her until the day she died, which was not an easy task as she has problems with things as simple as using the bathroom on her own. Then her mother died. Now care of the retarded aunt has passed to her sister (my best friend's mother). Her sister spends all her time and tons of money caring for her. Now that her sister (friend's mother) is getting older herself, she's having talks with my friend about how she's going to have to care for her eventually.

In this case, there was no choice involved as the aunt was born back in the early 60's when there was no prenatal testing or detection for this sort of thing. However, if you have a choice and you're going to knowingly condemn your other children and THEIR children after them to care for this disabled child...then that's pretty lovely.

So the world birthed the first immortal and it is mentally deficient?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Luvcow posted:

Spoken like a whiny teenager who hasn't a clue what they are speaking about. Have you worked with anyone handicapped? Have any family members that are handicapped? Or are you just going with the teenage goon flow of trying to act like 90s era Howard Stern and be "edgy"?

So is there a good reason to have a kid you know has a disability that has a good chance of impacting their and your quality of life? Is it like choosing Nighmare Parenting Difficulty or something and proving you are hardcore?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Quickscope420dad posted:

You're still totally misunderstanding both what I'm saying and where I'm coming from with this, especially since I've not been saying "death to all retards" etc.

I wanna educate everyone ever that having a child - disabled or not - is a selfish act, though i'd love to be convinced otherwise because I might want kids too some day?

The selfishness is about forcing someone to be born into a poo poo world. Noone chooses to be born; it is a decision made on their behalf. Nothing to do with the rest of the community (though some here are arguing that and I'm not getting involved in that side of things because I think it becomes too subjective).

No, you are pretty much right, having kids is super selfish because you are basically forcing someone into a lovely world without their consent because...I don't know, you feel like it? I've never heard a person give a really good reason for why they wanted kids. Don't buy into people saying "it's the next step" in a relationship, or that "it's what you do when you grow up" or something. Unless you need farm hands or are super interested in throwing a few hundred thousand dollars away on raising a child there really isn't a compelling argument for having kids.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

ONE TRICK YOUR DOWN SYNDROME CHILD HAS YOUR DOCTOR WILL HATE - The Register

Generally that trick is not knowing their own strength and the resulting damages thereof.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

How did this thread get to 16 pages when the clear answer to all the questions is that there is no good reason to not abort a fetus that has been diagnosed with Down's?

Like, I think everyone is in agreement that there's never a good reason to give birth to a person who will have to live their entire life with a handicap that will make their life that much harder.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Fast and Furious: Trisomy 21 Drift

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

There will always be retards but you should do everything in your power not to have retards

Except for the people who are like 'But god wants me to have this retard' or 'Nah I'm just gonna have this retard'

Goddamnit, how hard is this to comprehend? Abort if defective, it isn't difficult.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Ok, guys, I have an idea. Let's make aborting fetuses with incurable genetic diseases illegal, but all other abortions are encouraged. Suddenly we'll have more Down's kids than we can handle and the people crying over the poor treatment of Down's sufferers in a thread on a comedy fourm will have a ton of new playmates.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

NESguerilla posted:

Goons wish the world was like Sparta where you would just throw the defective babies off a cliff and watch them splat, but if that were the case there would be no goons to post about it.

A cliff is too far, I think we'll settle for a hot car at this point, it is all the rage.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

He's clearly an autist. He's got that super-focus that let him build an entire universe in 7 days, but his social skills are really poor and he never has any real contact with people.

Jesus wasn't gods son, Ulillillia is.

Tower of Babel? God just didn't like the fact so many other people could talk to each other without having a panic attack. Great Flood? God wasn't super up on crowds.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

its almost like most people think intentionally having tard babies is cruel and disgusting

therattle posted:

. What is also inarguable, despite best efforts or simply willful refusal to accept it, is that people with Downs are generally much happier than the general population. So if you really want to spare your children a life of misery, have a kid with Down's, not a normal one.

therattle is so far into Down's culture he is actively advocating for more Down's babies because if you ask people who are permanently children a question in a very specific way they will tell you they are happy while people their age who have jobs, bills and responsibilities somehow have a more shades of grey approach to how happy they are.

Comparing apples to retarded oranges, so to speak.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Who What Now posted:

He's throwing out anything and everything he can to try and justify his mistake to himself and us and trying to see what sticks. And because so far nothing has he is forced to dig ever deeper and deeper into that barrel for the slimiest justifications there are.

He seriously believes his son will be happier than a normal kid ever could be because he has Down's.

therattle posted:

My initial argument with my wife when I wanted to terminate was how miserable his life would be. I started doing research to validate my claim, but I could not find any evidence, despite best endeavours. I really wanted to find out that people with Down's have grim lives, but it just isn't the case.

Yep, did my research and was like "WOW, all these Down's people seem super happy with their lives, that sways me completely because who cares that he'll need near round the clock care, may never live on his own, hold a job or be able to do the things I take for granted every day without assistance, he'll be HAPPY!"

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

When I get home tonight I'm going to pitch the idea of having a Down's baby to my wife. "I know we didn't want kids, but look, this guy on Something Awful said that Down's kids are 100% more likely to be happy than normal people." Thanks, therattle, I now know having a Down's child is my duty as it will make the world a happier place.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

therattle posted:

That part wasn't entirely serious. I was making an ironic point about people's overriding concern for their children's happiness. I do not advocate having more people with Down's. I'm just saying that in specific circumstances there may be reasons why people make that choice.

On the happiness point, does it matter why people with Down's are happier, or just that they are? As for the research credibility, it's a properly constructed study in a peer-reviewed journal. I've already linked to it if you want to check. There are others too.

Your problem is that you came into this thread claiming that Down's people are happier than regular people and acting like that was good reason to continue with having a Down's child. That's a really weak argument. "Sure, he'll have plenty of other issues, but thanks to the cap on his mental progress he'll be happier than you or I" is a pretty making GBS threads reason to birth a child.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Down's children are innocent angel creatures and can't lie no matter what their parents or social workers teach them to say.

If anyone has ever seen special education in action it is all about positive reinforcement. 15 years old and just learned basic multiplication? Jeremy is a SUPERSTAR! Greg gets a prize for trying very hard at writing! Yes, all early childhood education is like that to an extent,but special education teachers will tell you how vital the overwhelmingly positive reaction is to each and every thing these kids do so they'll keep trying and stay interested.

It's really hard to be unhappy when you have your entire support structure telling you how awesome you are all the time.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

therattle posted:

Your arguments are contradictory.
1. They are capable of lying that they're happy or are coached to say they are, but are in fact unhappy. (Something one would think any well-designed study would seek to determine).
2. Because of all the positive reinforcement they receive, they are happy.

Can't be both, champ.

Let's look at it this way:

Down's kids and a ton of other kids with special needs are more or less told they are awesome and great and are then super happy with themselves. You basically end up telling them they have every reason in the world to be happy because they are doing a good job all the time and negative events are hardly, if ever, their fault.

Who's more likely to tell you they are happy? The person who gets positive reinforcement all day long with limited understanding of the world around them due to mental disability and the insulation their support system provides them, or regular adults who are under stress from hundreds of different directions?

Why is it so hard to accept that Down's people would report they are happier than normal people because they don't experience the same things as normal people due to their condition?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Who What Now posted:

Is that good enough for you, you cowardly twat?

We've already gone over the fact that your anecdotal evidence doesn't count because other people have different anecdotal evidence that they believe counters what you say.

What you have to say happens to be not 100% positive about people with mental deficiencies, which has nothing to do with why your statements don't count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

Therapy would've done your relationship better than the option you went with instead.

(Holy poo poo that new av.)

It should have really been punctuated with :saddowns:

• Locked thread