Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I remember in high school they taught us about the case study of ma bell being broken up because they had a monopoly on phone services. it seems to me like where ever you live in the US you have only 1 choice of cable providers and they always screw you with their insanely high prices and huge cable packages full of channels nobody wants. so why doesn't the government break them up and create a bunch of smaller competitors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax

notZaar posted:

I remember in high school they taught us about the case study of ma bell being broken up because they had a monopoly on phone services. it seems to me like where ever you live in the US you have only 1 choice of cable providers and they always screw you with their insanely high prices and huge cable packages full of channels nobody wants. so why doesn't the government break them up and create a bunch of smaller competitors?

i also am curious about this

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

notZaar posted:

$$$$$$$

edit: Actually did they have lobbyists back then?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

if you actually pay for cable you're a huge idiot

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

"man why am i so poor and i can barely afford rent." *pays $100 a month for a thousand channels of commercials that u dont even watch*

Mud Shark
May 12, 2012
Obama

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
i have an antenna in TYOOL 2014

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Idiot Kicker posted:

i have an antenna in TYOOL 2014

this is really the way to go because you can get a cheap antenna from amazon that you mount on your window or something and get local HD channels for free

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW

roboshit posted:

"man why am i so poor and i can barely afford rent." *pays $100 a month for a thousand channels of commercials that u dont even watch*

same, fios has a 15/5 package for 11 dollars a month, and tw throttled cable has the same package, just throttled.

people who pay for tv these days are idiots

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
i pay for cable because its easy and i have money to waste

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

notZaar posted:

until there's only one single cable company for the entire country, it's unlikely anyone will be able to successfully apply antitrust legislation because the supreme court has rejected that local cable monopolies are grounds for class actions. even then it'd depend on whether satellite tv was moribund or not

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Government and business have been slowly merging for the last 40 years and why would they break up themselves?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm paying $14.99/month for Time Warner 2/1 internet and have an OTA antenna for local TV

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

well first off the way the industry works financially means it's highly prone to being a monopoly and competition doesn't really work, as it would be ridiculous for every cable company to lay an entire cable network for themselves when they can all use the same one.

as for why it isn't well regulated that's because for the past 40 years business has successfully taken control of the american political discourse, mostly by stirring up race and class hatred to erode people's support for a sane regulatory schema

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
Because they technically have a lot of competitors even though in practice they really don't. The main problem is 20-30 years ago regulators thought it was pretty much a level playing field and didn't realize/care coax had a fuckload of bandwidth that would make it incredibly difficult and a huge financial barrier for a true competitor to come in against them.

Basically they though everyone was going to have to come in with fiber/wireless eventually and it turns out that with relatively minor network upgrades the coax owners wouldn't even need to bring fiber to the home for, well, perhaps decades from right now.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

also Verizon and SBC have essentially recreated Ma Bell as a potentially collusive entity outside a couple of the baby bells, so the entire breakup was negated within the past 20 years anyway.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's because of how gay you are, OP.

The gov't was totally preparing to act and then they heard about you and were like "well gently caress that" and stopped.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

roboshit posted:

this is really the way to go because you can get a cheap antenna from amazon that you mount on your window or something and get local HD channels for free

I'm moving in a few days and my new place doesn't have cable. I hope these work well. All I really need is sports.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
The regulatory apparatus has been completely bought out hth.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I called to cancel my basic $30 cable and they told me it would raise my internet by about $15 dollars, since they were a package deal. So i'd net save $15 dollars a month.

sounds pretty tough
May 17, 2012

Being an asshole is just part of my manly essence
It always confuses the gently caress out of me when people seem to be flabbergasted by corporate abuses and wonder where they originated from.

-They have money
-They can get away with anything they feel like

This concept is something that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone over the age of 14.

I have a better question for you OP:

Why are you so naive?

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW
giganews

and a decent provider that doesn't cap

is 49 dollars a month

just saying

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Supreme Allah posted:

I called to cancel my basic $30 cable and they told me it would raise my internet by about $15 dollars, since they were a package deal. So i'd net save $15 dollars a month.

Is this time warner? Cos time warner pulls that poo poo all the time, a few years ago they did that with "digital phone".

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW
lol you still have land lines

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Mostly because there are two types of people heading up the FCC. They're either "former" Comcast execs, or have been offered executive positions at Comcast once the legislation Du jour gets passed.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Nonsense posted:

Is this time warner? Cos time warner pulls that poo poo all the time, a few years ago they did that with "digital phone".

It's comcast, I hate them. But the internet is fast and doesn't go out.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Design Spots posted:

lol you still have land lines

I also have a regular rear end cell phone that can only talk and text :getin:

Sexual Velcro
Jun 28, 2008

EugeneJ posted:

I'm paying $14.99/month for Time Warner 2/1 internet and have an OTA antenna for local TV

russian gulags have faster internet than you. how does that feel?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sexual Velcro posted:

russian gulags have faster internet than you. how does that feel?

.... $14.99!

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

roboshit posted:

if you actually pay for cable you're a huge idiot

I'm like Jim Kerry in the Cable Guy, I was raised by sitcom families and whimsical friend groupings. I need TBS to not feel alone.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Turns out the rumors are true. Taylor Hanson’s rear end in a top hat is one big sloppy mess… at least it SOUNDS that way!

A matter of two days ago the rumored sex audio of Taylor being hosed/fisted in a bathroom (which has been floating about the internet for the past few weeks) finally found it’s way onto a public file share/host site and is taking the internet by storm. According to the rumor in recent weeks Taylor was recorded by one of his sex partners on a small mp3 recorder during sex in a bathroom.

First linked through The DataLounge the audio clip lasts a whopping five plus minutes long. Through out the audio you can clearly hear grotesque squishing, slopping and plowing sounds. The funny thing is, Taylor’s voice is crystal clear groaning and moaning in his signature style mixed with “Oh GOD” and “OH gently caress” over and over. Shocking some is the grunting from his MALE partner who talks about how nice his rear end is. The audio wraps with a variety of noises from farting, bubbling and splattering sounds, complete with Taylor panting, grunting, straining and sighing in the process of what insiders say is him prolapsing his worn out rear end in a top hat.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

that sure is you posting that thing again, cool + funny

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
May your eyes be opened by the wonderful

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009