Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This game looks great. The music sounds great.

Those gifs are great, please keep doing that.

:krakentoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yapping Eevee posted:

I'm also going to have to tell Leave that the very first update used :krakentoot:. Good on ya, Mega. :)

I miss that guy and his LPs. Good to hear there's people who kept in touch with him.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

One thing about the Mother games is that the villages feel... alive. There's not just 3 people living in there saying the same single line all game long like in other RPGs.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, they buried Hinawa without Flint being there, they just left him in that jail while they were saying their final farewells? They couldn't have waited until he recovered? :psyduck:

That's just so, so horribly wrong. I didn't feel sad this update. No. This made me angry. How can his friends and neighbours do something like that?

Mega64 posted:

Hmm? That's now what you need? Oh, Claus and Lucas? I believe they're at the Sunset Cemetery, north of the village.

Was that a typo and should 'now' be 'not'?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Shwqa posted:

I love that there is a jail cell to put flint in. They know what crimes are, but no one has considered doing a crime until just now.
It's there in case they get outsiders in town.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

But you're still hungry.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Wow! That's in this game? Hm, I'm not much of an expert on classical music but it certainly starts off with Beethoven's fifth. Am I hearing other classical compositions after that? If so, which ones are in there exactly?

quote:

What would this say if you didn't have Omelets as your favorite food? Would the second part change?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Yes, so why is it only? The word only confuses me. Are there any other reasons to call someone a moron?

At the start I thought Wess might use hard language to make Duster grow up to what Wess considers a proper man. But there's so much moron-calling with obviously so little effect (because there's really nothing wrong with Duster) that now it seems Wess does it only to hurt his son. So my current thought isn't that Wess is trying to make his son grow up, nope, he's just being an rear end to Duster for no good reason.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Lord_Ventnor posted:

Holy crap, they really want you to hate Fassad, huh?

I read the update yesterday, was just checking my bookmarked threads for new posts, read this, and the first thing my sleepy brain thinks is 'hate Assad? I must be in D&D.' Then I read the rest of the posts and felt silly.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

There's just a slow rage building up whenever I see Fassad.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I think it's a little weird if video games make you feel emotions.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This apparently being the 'true beginning of the game' reminds me of my first playthrough of Link to the Past. You do the three dungeons, then you travel to the dark world, enter the first dark world dungeon, and the screen says: Level 1. First thing I thought was "what do you think I've done up till now? Nothing?"

Just saying it's a bit weird if they consider such a big part (in this case three chapters) as 'just the prologue'.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

Isn't that just the game telling you it's the first dark world dungeon?

It is, but light world dungeons aren't numbered at all (they are named, though, just like all dungeons). So it feels like it doesn't consider light world dungeons "actual levels".

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Leavemywife LP'ed the original Mother at some point but he wasn't enjoying it much and I completely understand why. It was a bad game. In the end he got burned out and Explosionface took over.

One problem is that it's a huge but mostly empty world and the game doesn't ever tell you where you have to go next.

I could compare that to the original Zelda. Thing is, in Zelda it wasn't really a problem if you did some things out of order, but Mother was also trying to tell a coherent plot. If you don't get guided into the next part of the story you'll be lost forever, wondering what to do. Also, the grinding. The game is tough.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Yeah, the ostrelephant is the first enemy that's less "quirky cute" and more "oh God, kill it with fire". I think its the fact that its body is an elephant head, rather than torso. Like, which part has the brain? Do they both have brains? Why is it smiling like that? Where the hell are the organs located? Before, the enemies were quirky but they still looked like they functioned. A mouse with wings, a snake with a chicken head, so on and so forth. This is the first one that just out and out doesn't make sense. Seriously, the enemy design in this game is great so far.

We have already established that this game is basically pokemon. Fassad will keep spreading his technology and he'll keep creating impossible animals, and then at some point he will invent small white/red balls which can be used to permanently enslave animals.

Meanwhile, the partially mechanical moles will become Drilbur, while this ostrelephant will mutate, so both its brains are used. It'll become Doduo.

It's all quite obvious now.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

I never finished Mother 3 but I get the hunch that Fassad owns the club, and built it as part of his model. It's very effective as an economic sink, draining money from the town in exchange for entertainment and cheap consumer goods. Any money left over is spent on costlier consumer goods, likely manufactured in Fassad's sweatshops by Fassad's employees and/or golems. Everybody in Tazmily is a slave now; they're just too dazzled by the bright colors to realize it.

Thank you for describing capitalism. :ussr:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I was sad there wasn't a "drop the bass" joke but your great way to deal with stone - sheet - clippers made up for it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Is that a translation thing?

Ah... wait, the joke is it's a failed haiku, right? Still, my question stands. Was the joke in the original or was it added by the translators?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Something called "Omelets" appeared to me in a dream. But what is this so-called "Omelets"? Do you know? Our world is really small, so there's a lot we don't know about. Omelets... I dunno why, but that kind of excites me. Hehehe.

When was the last time we had one of mom's Omelets?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Arcade Rabbit posted:

And I guess I wish Lucas didn't do the silent protagonist routine. Having everyone be silent for their own perspective chapters was a very nice touch, but I really wish they developed Lucas' character more. I'd love to see what he has to say about everything that's been happening and has happened.

I disagree. A silent protagonist allows you to put yourself in his shoes, so you can fill in what he's thinking. This way, different players can see this game in a different light. For instance, there's an interesting discrepancy where most gamers will see technology as something that's good, but in this game it specifically leads to bad things. People are going to deal with that in different ways, and having Lucas tell you how you should see things would make this theme less interesting.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

How does Mr. Saturn speech work in the original Japanese?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

Is there supposed to be some kind of pun with Fish Roe Man, or is he just a man made out of fish roe?

Fish Roman, maybe? :confused:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

PORKY! All bets are off, poo poo's going to go DOWN!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Leder's quite the lengthy speaker, is he not? :downsrim:

Mega64, a lot of people might not even recognize it, but I really appreciate the thing where you made a Leder 'icon' stand next to the text by chopping the image up in pieces of exactly the right height.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

If I hadn't seen it executed before, I probably would've given up on it. Instead, I had to secretly post it to make sure it'd come out right in a reply in this thread, and then ninja edit it out immediately so no one is spoiled by Leder's appearance.

I'm definitely happy with how it turned out and glad everyone else is as well.

Isn't pm formatting the same as in the normal forums? Just pm a test post to yourself when you want to test formatting, no ninjas required.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

uPen posted:

It looks great on a real browser but the effect falls apart on phones unfortunately.

Try viewing it in landscape mode.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I was first thinking that guy who talks about drinking water, that it might've been alcohol originally but Nintendo of America kicked in again... then I remembered this isn't an official translation at all.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Porky is a very weird character.

In Earthbound, he's just the wimpy rear end in a top hat neighbourhood bully. Then you lose track of him for a while. And then this "will never amount to anything" guy is suddenly the 2nd greatest evil in the world and very, very powerful.

You'd expect him to be some early game character, or maybe someone who gets a few joke reappearances later on. But not something like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thank you for this great LP!

• Locked thread