Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
This post is based around this video, a compilation of motorcycle accidents: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxjtv6PCSVQ

This post is intended to be educational. If any assumption, distinction, or claim made here is incorrect please call me out on it. This information is incomplete as I do not have enough knowledge to be sure of the cause and solution to every accident shown here, please add your own speculation/claim as to the reason of any accident outside my understanding. I will add a * to items I do not feel confident on for help from other posters if they wish to fill this bullshit out.

This post will go through 0:00 - 0:10 minutes of the video. The next 10 minutes will be completed at some point in the future.

0:44 -Too much throttle, possibly trying to stunt, wheelies too far, backside of motorcycle hits pavement, loses control. Prevention: Don't accelerate super hard like a dummy. If you feel the wheel coming up, let up on the throttle.

0:51* - Attempting to stunt, unclear from the video, looks to be he wheelied too hard similar to the accident above. Prevention: Don't stunt unless you are confident in your abilities. Even still don't stunt if there are other vehicles on the road.

1:03 - Girl butt and girl on motorcycle, very kawaii.

1:09 - Guy stunting at what looks like stunting show/competition. Apparently he's not too good. Not really much to comment on here, don't stunt if you can't. I have no idea why the bike kept driving itself (stuck throttle or just in gear and idling I guess?)

1:20 - More stunting. He gives too much power and the backside touches pavement, leading to total loss of control. Don't stunt on the highway when there are SUV's nearby, no matter how confident you feel.

1:32* - This one is almost entirely the cagers fault, he proceeds through the intersection without caution. It appears the rider has ROW. Prevention: When passing by an intersection with your view of merging traffic obstructed (in this case by a large bus), reduce your speed and attempt to distance yourself from the merging traffic (in this case hug the right side of the lane). If I am wrong here please call me out.

1:41* - Appears to be too much lean or too much speed perhaps both. Lean stuff isn't my speciality. Prevention: approach turns slower, push your limits on the track not the road.

1:46* - Unclear, could use some help here, looks like there might have been something on the road? He didn't appear to be going too fast or leaning too sharp so I am not sure.

1:56 - Looks to be a classic example of target fixation, he was probably coming in a bit too fast and got nervous and stared at where he was trying to avoid going, off the road. Prevention: once you've committed to a turn there are two options, try and straighten up and brake if the road allows, or look through your turn and continue into it. Staring at where you are trying to avoid going will only send you there.

2:17* - No clue, looks like he just WOT (thanks for the acronym guys) right into a wall. Prevention: Don't do this.

2:28 - Appears to be both riders fault, not approaching an intersection (which appears to have no stop on any side) with caution. One of them was clearly going far too fast. Prevention: approach intersections with caution and be prepared to stop if the intersection has no explicit ROW.

2:38* - This one again is tough, it appears both the rider and the truck swerve out of/into oncoming traffic. Both at fault. Probably some poo poo country where the roads are like mad max.

2:46 - Cager is oblivious to rider stopped at light and rear ends. Prevention: There might not be prevention for this, some claim that staying in gear and keeping an eye on your rearview can allow you to move in time, some argue reaction time makes this impossible. Not the riders fault.

2:52* - Unclear, rider just appears to fall over and get run over (probably death, warning). Maybe he was drunk.

2:58* - Appears to be too much lean at too low a speed. Low-sides it. Prevention: At lower speeds do not lean so much. Lean not speciality again.

3:08 - Cager's fault, he merges without checking his blind spot and effectively pinches the rider between the car and the curb. Prevention: While this is not the riders fault, as soon as he saw what the SUV was doing, he should have braked hard to end up behind him.

3:20 - Looks like a low side due to loss of traction. Could be the first rain of the season bringing up oils or just the water on the road. Prevention: Ride for the conditions present, be aware of any slicks or wet spots and take it slow.

3:30 - Appears to be too much speed in the turn, maybe target fixation. Probably was going so fast in order to pass the car and didn't realize the turn was coming. Prevention: Always check the road ahead when trying to pass.

3:45 - He makes a point to pass the taxi where he thinks it will be as opposed to where it is. The taxi then stops and it is now blocking his passing path, so he collides. Prevention: Always pass for where the vehicle will be, and give enough margin if you are wrong. Bonus cute scooter parade.

4:02 - Stunting gone wrong again, don't wheelie so hard you hit the pavement, and don't do it on public roads you dummies.

4:11* - Unclear, it looks like they might be riding on the shoulder, can't tell. Rider is read-ended by another rider. Previous rider at fault but can't see from his perspective.

4:28 - Rider rear ends car. Rider at fault. Prevention: Give yourself enough stopping distance and be aware of vehicles ahead of you, always be prepared to stop. Or based on this video, don't have you brake lines cut?

4:38 - Rider hits pedestrians crossing. Rider has ROW, depending on the country however pedestrians always have ROW. Prevention: Regardless rider should have been more aware of his surroundings, peds were in road for some time, should have been able to stop or avoid them. Don't hit people, people.

4:51* - This one is scary. Appears that the car purposefully sandwiches the rider into the barrier. Prevention: Unclear, it was a malicious attack on the rider. Reaction may not have been possible. In before "I would have shot that idiot with my super secret gas tank gun".

5:03 - Appears as though rider is attempting to make a right turn and inadvertently swerves into car. Prevention: Check mirrors and blind spots before merging or turning. If turning make sure you are in a turning lane.

5:09* - Appears as though rider is forced into shoulder from improperly passing car taking up both lanes. Prevention: Likely none, rider in this case was lucky.

5:15 - Appears as though rider is distracted by passing bus, fails to see vehicle slowing ahead. Rear ends. Prevention: Do not let distractions stop you from scanning ahead.

5:29 - Its a bull on a roadway charging your rear end, I dunno.

5:42 - clip cuts away too soon.

5:45 - Sucka blyat.

5:54* - Unclear, looks like a mix of target fixation and too much speed maybe. Help me out here guys.

6:05 - Appears as though rider loses balance going over cattle grate, and then once on the dirt this loss of balance leads to a loss of traction. Prevention: approach obstacles/surfaces you are unfamiliar with slowly.

6:15 - Target fixation. Prevention: Look through your dang turns.

6:25* - Hard to tell, looks like his friend low-sided somehow.

6:37 - Looks like target fixation combined with too much speed. He came in fast around a small blind bend and then fixated on the sharper turn in front of him and went right off. Prevention: slow down around blind bends and look through your turns.

6:48 - Also appears to be target fixation. Harder to tell though.

6:56 - Looks like too much speed. Rider enters turn too fast, recognizes, straightens out and brakes. Good reaction by rider actually. Prevention: Don't enter turns faster than you are comfortable with. Save pushing it for the track.

7:18* - Unclear. appeasrs as though the rider grabs a handful of front brake for no reason, thoughts?

7:25 - Accident not shown on camera.

7:39 - Guy was either drunk or tired, but it appears as though he stopped paying attention and swerved into median. Prevention: drink a red bull ya dummies.

7:54 - Guy with no gear tries to do burnouts and lurches forward. Prevention: Don't be this guy.

8:07 - Stupid broken clip again.

8:09 - Rider is likely distracted in order to run yellow light and rear ends car in front of him. Prevention: DO not let distractions affect your ability to scan ahead.

8:18 - Target fixation. Prevention : Look through your got danged turns.

8:29 - Rider loses balanced after riding over uneven railway crossing. Prevention: Approach unfamiliar/uneven surfaces with caution, do not speed over hills with no visibility.

8:42 - Crash not visible on camera.

8:56 - Rider rear ends car. Prevention: Always follow with proper stopping distance established. Always scan for slowing vehicles.

9:03* - Looks like he grabbed too much front brake due to stopping to quickly. Unsure though.

9:12 - Head on collision. Events preceding collision not caught on camera. Prevention: approach intersections slowly and with caution.

9:15 - Approaching turn too fast, possibly due to prior passing, low-side. Prevention: approach turns at reasonable speeds.

9:28 - Crash not caught on camera.

9:44* - Again not a lean guy, but appears there is too much lean/speed causing low-side. Unclear.

Obviously this is only the start, and I hope to pick up where I left off. Furthermore this thread is about looking at crash videos and detailing what went wrong and how it could be prevented. This is intended to help us all learn how to be safer out there. This is different from the crash test thread in this doesn't have to be a video of you or someone you know. Feel free to add more to the video here in the OP or add another video to be analyzed and discussed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The berg is strong in you.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
This is great, looking forward to more.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
z3n could any of these problems been caused by wind noise and not enough motorcycles?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Please keep posting more of these.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

There's like three more after we're done with this one :allears:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ScienceAndMusic posted:

0:51* - Attempting to stunt, unclear from the video, looks to be he wheelied too hard similar to the accident above. Prevention: Don't stunt unless you are confident in your abilities. Even still don't stunt if there are other vehicles on the road.

I agree with most of your analysis, but this one is the cager's fault.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

hot sauce posted:

I agree with most of your analysis, but this one is the cager's fault.

Too beautiful, should have sent a poet.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
7:18 looks like he hit the brakes on a white line.

9:03 looks like poor conditions and too much brake. He was also following too closely given the wet stuff.

Barnsy fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 23, 2014

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
The very first crash was definitely caused by a copyright claim

e:

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 24, 2014

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Has anyone managed to find it hosted somewhere else? I only got to watch it once :(

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Somebody always reuploads it.

Also, lol, aspiethinker

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Am a sociopath or an rear end in a top hat because I actually LOL at the idiots that cause hurt themselves due to their own idiocy?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

slidebite posted:

Am a sociopath or an rear end in a top hat because I actually LOL at the idiots that cause hurt themselves due to their own idiocy?

No. Schadenfreude is a real word that exists for a reason.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

M42 posted:

Somebody always reuploads it.

Also, lol, aspiethinker

aspiethinker is a great motorcyclist that we should all strive to take after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P18uv2kx0VE

Obviously the guy is incredibly talented and is a bit upset that someone was trying to profit off his videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzIv7HTEr-c

Although I can't help but wonder if someone was a bit butthurt being stuck between "drunk_thailand_scooter_crash_34.mp4" and "russian_intersection_brutal_accident.mov"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptFuf2qJfQE

He deserves better than that.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Ripoff posted:

aspiethinker is a great motorcyclist that we should all strive to take after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P18uv2kx0VE

Obviously the guy is incredibly talented and is a bit upset that someone was trying to profit off his videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzIv7HTEr-c

Although I can't help but wonder if someone was a bit butthurt being stuck between "drunk_thailand_scooter_crash_34.mp4" and "russian_intersection_brutal_accident.mov"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptFuf2qJfQE

He deserves better than that.

The first one is understandable. Wet road and too much throttle.

What the everloving hell happened with the latter two?

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
I would expect a guy who falls that much to learn how to pick up a loving bike.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Marxalot posted:

The first one is understandable. Wet road and too much throttle.

What the everloving hell happened with the latter two?

Grabbed the front brake both times looks like. Bike bounces back and puts him off balance.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Barnsy posted:

Grabbed the front brake both times looks like. Bike bounces back and puts him off balance.

He also turns the bars to lock before he's moving. Bike tips in as soon as he starts rolling. He hits the brakes, bike tips more, he can't hold it up. It's why the MSF teaches to keep the bars straight when you start moving.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

He also turns the bars to lock before he's moving. Bike tips in as soon as he starts rolling. He hits the brakes, bike tips more, he can't hold it up. It's why the MSF teaches to keep the bars straight when you start moving.

Well it's funny because that's quite literally one of the first things you learn for your learner license here in NSW. He's from QLD though, god knows what they learn.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

29 short hours until the OP can continue!

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

ShaneB posted:

29 short hours until the OP can continue!

Hopefully he's been using his time wisely and will unload the whole thing. I for one can't wait. I can tell this in depth analysis will make me a better rider - so much to learn.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Did someone re-up the video?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I tried to PM the OP to remind him to keep going but he doesn't have plat! Bumping in hopes for more.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Oh and don't worry, if 2014 is gone you can always do 2013!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiykwlajACM

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Oh god now I'm going to click this link.

BRB in like 4 hours

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Is there a reason the Chinese seem to be terrible people and NEVER stop to help someone in distress? The number of crashes that happen right next to someone and people just drive by...

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Barnsy posted:

Is there a reason the Chinese seem to be terrible people and NEVER stop to help someone in distress? The number of crashes that happen right next to someone and people just drive by...

They're got a culture of assholeism:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/10/24/chinas-bystander-problem-another-death-after-crowd-ignores-woman-in-peril/

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Barnsy posted:

I've heard a bunch of people say it's because confucianism puts a really strong focus on the family and friends and there isn't a real equivalent to the "golden rule" that you should treat strangers as you'd want them to treat you. From my time there I think it's just because there's such a giant mass of humanity that if you try to stop and care about every terrible thing that happens you'll be overwhelmed pretty much immediately. It's pretty hosed up to watch a guy beat the ever living poo poo of a man in the street while literally hundreds of people walk by not 10 feet away though.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

ShaneB posted:

Oh and don't worry, if 2014 is gone you can always do 2013!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiykwlajACM

30:50 I bet my delivery guy doesn't work that hard :)

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

It's amazing how many helmets you see fly off, then the person smacks their head.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Oh no! A little kid fell off the back. That one made me sad :(

That's right, stupid Something Awful scripting video linking thingie, I defeated you!

captainOrbital fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 4, 2014

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Ahahahaha, I love the wife commenting at 5:20 "Told you it was a bad idea"

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Tanbo posted:

It's amazing how many helmets you see fly off, then the person smacks their head.

natural selection. I don't see why you would bother putting a helmet on but not fixing it properly. 'Yeah, I kinda want to make the effort of protecting my skull, but not really because the 10 seconds to fasten it just aren't worth it'.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I read somewhere that people will cut the strap off the helmet lock to steal them. Makes the helmet worthless aside from giving us crash videos I suppose.

Senyk
Apr 17, 2007
Being a pirate means so much to me
Got out of my armchair and did something. Not the highest quality, but a nice place holder until someone can do better.

No Prisoners 2014 Vol 1

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Senyk posted:

Got out of my armchair and did something. Not the highest quality, but a nice place holder until someone can do better.

No Prisoners 2014 Vol 1

What do you mean "do better"? Did you have the old one saved in low-def or something? I need this back!

Senyk
Apr 17, 2007
Being a pirate means so much to me
Friend of mine has to download any Youtube videos he wants to watch, but also has an unfortunately slow internet. Best I have access to is the 480p. If I remember right, that video had up to a Youtube-indicated 1080p. Video is still pretty watchable, but obviously not as excruciatingly gorgeous as it could be.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Senyk posted:

Friend of mine has to download any Youtube videos he wants to watch, but also has an unfortunately slow internet. Best I have access to is the 480p. If I remember right, that video had up to a Youtube-indicated 1080p. Video is still pretty watchable, but obviously not as excruciatingly gorgeous as it could be.

Rest assured, you and your friend are still pretty cool in my eyes, 480p or not. :) Please tell him some random fat-rear end moron on the internet appreciates your efforts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Senyk posted:

No Prisoners 2014 Vol 1

You loving legend!

• Locked thread