Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!
When did it become conventional wisdom that the Lynch movie sucks? I'm not trying to argue about whether or not it sucks, but it seems like the consensus suddenly shifted in the last couple years. Most of my life the prevailing opinion among sci-fi nerds was that while it was an unfaithful adaptation it was still a good film on its own merits. But in the past three years or so, the consensus is that it's terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

lexan posted:

When did it become conventional wisdom that the Lynch movie sucks? I'm not trying to argue about whether or not it sucks, but it seems like the consensus suddenly shifted in the last couple years. Most of my life the prevailing opinion among sci-fi nerds was that while it was an unfaithful adaptation it was still a good film on its own merits. But in the past three years or so, the consensus is that it's terrible.

If you're not a fan of David Lynch and his cinematic style or approach then you're probably going to hate it, but it's not a bad film even by non-sci-fi standards. It's not even the worst Lynch film. Nerds like to hate things though so there ya go.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I heard that they had to give out pamphlets explaining the backstory because the movie did such a lovely job of ex positioning and there was a lot.

I really liked the movie but I think it might be objectively kind of a subpar movie.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

I heard that they had to give out pamphlets explaining the backstory because the movie did such a lovely job of ex positioning and there was a lot.

I really liked the movie but I think it might be objectively kind of a subpar movie.

they did that not because it did a bad job but probably because they ad to cut like 3 hours out. also the movie owns

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

they did that not because it did a bad job but probably because they ad to cut like 3 hours out. also the movie owns

The movie is an unwatchable mess. They should have given Jodorowsky his 5 million dollars instead.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
The movie is hard to pin down because it remains the best attempt at bringing DUNE to life. That's why it tortures nerds and the conventional wisdom won't settle down. Nerds who compare it to the DUNE movie in their heads hate it. Nerds who compare it to the Sci Fi Channel miniseries are willing to cut it slack.

Like, if you had Michelangelo's David and then David Lynch built a little scaffold and climbed up and took a huge poo poo right on the crown of David's head and it dribbled down the side, and then David Lynch turned around and jerked off to the aroma of his own feces and said "It's beautiful! I'm a genius!" and half the nerds in the world agreed with him because they were afraid of being called dumb.

Would it still be a masterpiece? Would it be a masterpiece underneath all that? Can it still be a masterpiece despite Lynch's layer of poo poo?

Hard to say. It's worse because the movie had some really really good poo poo in it, and frankly so did the miniseries, and unfortunately so does Lynch's body of work. The only stuff that is totally irredeemable is a handful of the original books and every book written by Herbert's kid.

Come on if Jodoworsky had made his 18 hour version of Dune it would basically be Zardoz by now except nobody would bother sitting all the way through it

EDIT: GRRAAAA-CHA!

Tujague fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 28, 2014

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Tujague posted:

Come on if Jodoworsky had made his 18 hour version of Dune it would basically be Zardoz by now except nobody would bother sitting all the way through it

Right, because nobody would sit through a 9 hour Hobbit movie spaced out over three films and expect it to make money.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

FrostedButts posted:

Right, because nobody would sit through a 9 hour Hobbit movie spaced out over three films and expect it to make money.

What you are saying here is way way way way way way way less crazy than what Jodoworsky wanted to do so I am afraid the comparison doesn't make the point you sort of figured it would thanks

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tujague posted:

What you are saying here is way way way way way way way less crazy than what Jodoworsky wanted to do so I am afraid the comparison doesn't make the point you sort of figured it would thanks
Yeah Jodorowsky wanted to make a movie that would "transform human consciousness" as we know it, if I remember the docu that come out a few months ago.

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's

FrostedButts posted:

those movies were so loving boring I want to punch peter jackson in his floppy hairy mouth pie

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah if something requires all that exposition it's better to just cut it out. do we really need the spacing guild? not really. spice can be important to space travel without needing the monopoly. The Lynch movie started with exposition, then went to Kaitan, then went to Caladan, then to Giedi Prime, then to Arrakis, etc. etc. etc. Totally the wrong way to do it.

The Dune movie in my head would be a single film. 130 minutes long or therabouts. It'd take place almost entirely on Arrakis and would begin with a Harkonnen saboteur attack just as the Atreides show up. No Spacing Guild. Probably cut Feyd Rautha and Rabban completely. Cut Kynes. Dune fans would hate it, but who cares.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Warhams is babby's first version of Dune. THERE I said it what now huh come at me bro

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Tujague posted:

18 hour Zardoz sounds loving amazing though

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The guy who played Baron Harkonnen in SyFy's Dune was good and didn't deserve to be in that poo poo miniseries.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Harime Nui posted:

Warhams is babby's first version of Dune. THERE I said it what now huh come at me bro

They already made a good Dune movie and it's called Star Wars

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Pochoclo posted:

He doesn't look like that, are you really reading Dune or just watching Lynch's movie?

He's a fat non-crazy future space jerk noble and he loves diddling boys
so you're saying he's more like an sa mod?

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

lexan posted:

I love Lynch's Dune for many reasons, but it really isn't a good film by any metric. It's got some wonderful imagery, but most of the reasons for loving it is its unintentional hilarity and misplaced Lynchian weirdness which just makes it the most wonderfully entertaining catastrophe to watch.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Is this the thread where we talk about how underrated Lynch's Dune is? Because it really is.

I mean it's still a mess of a film but it's a beautiful snowflake of a mess and IMO it's actually a fairly decent adaptation of the original novel, which is so loving dense I can't imagine making a single film out of it that doesn't take some major liberties with the story.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 28, 2014

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

lexan posted:

it's a cool movie with a lot of character and quite a few memorable scenes (nothing to go crazy about though) but it doesn't stay true to the books so nerds will swear by this other lovely low-budget series that looks like tv theatre with horrendous acting and laughable cardboard art production that is impossible to digest if you aren't used to watching fanboy garbage but hey it's true to the books therefore...

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Cream_Filling posted:

They already made a good Dune movie and it's called Star Wars

Dune - 1968

Star Wars - 1977

Star Wars ripped more from Kurosawa and Flash Gordon serials but there's Dune influence too.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Palpek posted:

it's a cool movie with a lot of character and quite a few memorable scenes (nothing to go crazy about though) but it doesn't stay true to the books so nerds will swear by this other lovely low-budget series that looks like tv theatre with horrendous acting and laughable cardboard art production that is impossible to digest if you aren't used to watching fanboy garbage but hey it's true to the books therefore...

Yeah but the books got really stupid after the first one (or so I've been told) and Lynch's film is actually a lot more faithful that people claim. It's just that the last third of the film is telescoped together pretty heavily.

I mean Patrick Stewart carries around one of those horrible little bug-eyed dogs for half the movie. How can you not like that?

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Morally Inept
Mar 5, 2012

by XyloJW
He wasn't a goon because he was a strong chiseled character and only became fat when Gaius Mohium gave him a disease by manipulating her own body chemistry to activate a degenerate disease when he was forcing himself on her.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Morally Inept posted:

He wasn't a goon because he was a strong chiseled character and only became fat when Gaius Mohium gave him a disease by manipulating her own body chemistry to activate a degenerate disease when he was forcing himself on her.

So he's only fat because he's a rapist? Somehow I think this makes him even goonier.

CountButtula
Jan 5, 2014

would

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
frape

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Palpek posted:

The SyFy dune remake had a much better baron harkonnen despite being pretty bad overall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mObFjNk4c20

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

etalian posted:

The SyFy dune remake had a much better baron harkonnen despite being pretty bad overall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mObFjNk4c20

Man I've never seen the not-lynch dune and I love that actor but holy poo poo does that feel like a lovely cheap made for TV movie. The lynch movie is a crazy mess but it just looks and feels and sounds so richly messy.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Man I've never seen the not-lynch dune and I love that actor but holy poo poo does that feel like a lovely cheap made for TV movie. The lynch movie is a crazy mess but it just looks and feels and sounds so richly messy.

Yeah the Syfy production was pretty bad overall, the Lynch version at least sort of captured the visual grandness and weirdness of the books using things such as the huge practical sets.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
sting didnt do fuckall in the movie he just kind of stood around smirking a lot

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah the actor was great and was much closer to the Baron being a genuinely devious effective leader like in the books instead of bloated goon.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Yeah but the books got really stupid after the first one (or so I've been told)

You've been lied to.

The second could drag at times, but it's worth it.

Children is good.

God-Emperor is great, if pretentious.

Heretics and Chapterhouse are beyond the loving Own-Zone.

If you don't like Dune, you are a dumb. If you liked Dune and not the others, you prolly thought Dune was about environmentalism.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

You've been lied to. The second could drag at times, but it's worth it.

Children is good.

God-Emperor is great, of pretentious.

Heretics and Chapterhouse are beyond the loving Own-Zone.

If you don't like Dune, you are a dumb. If you liked Dune and not the others, you prolly thought Dune was about environmentalism.

the real theme is a sci fiction fantasy in which arabs actually defeat a more technologically advanced colonial military

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Hip Gelatinous Cube posted:

"Presently,"
—the beginning of every paragraph ever written by frank herbert

Erstwhile, on Arrakis.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Dune owns, and the Lynch movie owns, and the other Dune books by Frank Herbert own too if a little less.

The problem with the Dune movie is that it's hard to watch if you haven't read Dune, but if you've read Dune you'll be bothered by poo poo like the weirding modules. I consider Baron Harkonnen the weakest part of the Dune movie though, pretty much everything else was great.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Sheen Sheen posted:

So he's only fat because he's a rapist? Somehow I think this makes him even goonier.

She kind of raped him first though

e: Basically, he's a huge human being, some space magician bitch forces herself on him once, tries to do it a second time but gets the tables turned on her and casts an evil fat-spell on his big gay dick with her magical vagina.

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 29, 2014

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Benito Hitlerstalin posted:

She kind of raped him first though

Suddenly I'm really glad that I didn't read anything past the first book

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Sheen Sheen posted:

Suddenly I'm really glad that I didn't read anything past the first book

I lot of this weird poo poo is background stuff, I've read everything except Heretics Of Dune and I didn't even know that.

e: Brian Herbert doesn't count.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
Yeah no those books are not very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
the prequels are awful and read like they were written by a fourth grader

Frank Herbert's six original books are all good, but the focus really changes after God Emperor

• Locked thread