Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
the sci fi miniseries looks better but takes liberties with the story. paul and irulan never meet until the very end of the book and i don't recall any weird flirting scenes with her and feyd. also paul instigates the final fight with feyd.

the lynch film does a better more thorough job of explaining the backstory of dune and how past events led to the universe's current sate of affairs. dude also took liberties like the weaponized megaphones and overall crazy of the harkonnens. in the book they're more like the miniseries.

the miniseries does a better job with the costume designs but it totally feels like a budget job when they do desert scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

etalian posted:

The SyFy dune remake had a much better baron harkonnen despite being pretty bad overall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mObFjNk4c20

Christ, what'd they mount the camera on, a seesaw? I get the feeling my neck would hurt more after watching this than it did after Battlefield Earth.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The Tao Jones posted:

Christ, what'd they mount the camera on, a seesaw? I get the feeling my neck would hurt more after watching this than it did after Battlefield Earth.

Most directors don't know how to use a french tilt but do anyway.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Yeah the fat virus poo poo is a Brian Herbert creation so it didn't actually happen that way. Vladimir Harkonnen is a uber rich corrupt dude and got fat due to living in excess.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I think I read one Brian Herbert book and it had a woman being raped then having her throat slit while her brother (IIRC) is forced to watch.

Which if you think about it is a good metaphor for what Brian is doing to his father's work.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Bubble-T posted:

I think I read one Brian Herbert book and it had a woman being raped then having her throat slit while her brother (I think?) is forced to watch.

Which if you think about it is a good metaphor for what Brian is doing to his father's work.

Huge, complex backstory is usually best when hinted at or alluded to. But then some yahoo always has to come along and actually try to give us the whole thing-- the Butlerian Jihad, or the Clone Wars.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Google Alicia Witt to find out how young Alia has turned out.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yeah the butlerian jihad was fine as it was alluded to in the Frank Herbert books. I never felt like I wanted to know about that era in his universe but it was a sufficient explanation as to why technology was the way it was in Dune.

Honestly the best extended-universe stuff were the Dune RTS games. Dune 2000 and Emperor: Battle For Dune were excellent takes on the Dune universe mixed with the Lynch mythos and its own stuff. All the while the games managed to be excellent and fun.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

redshirt posted:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

The Tao Jones posted:

Huge, complex backstory is usually best when hinted at or alluded to. But then some yahoo always has to come along and actually try to give us the whole thing-- the Butlerian Jihad, or the Clone Wars.

well this is partilaly because nerds are giant babies who dont understand how wanting something can be better than actually having it

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
backstories are good when they're hinted at and don't have encyclopedias and appendices detailing every specific event and person.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Action Tortoise posted:

backstories are good when they're hinted at and don't have encyclopedias and appendices detailing every specific event and person.

I would have taken a Dune Silmarillion over Brian Herbert trying to tell stories in his father's universe.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

redshirt posted:

:eyepop:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

hemophilia posted:

I would have taken a Dune Silmarillion over Brian Herbert trying to tell stories in his father's universe.
Dune Encyclopedia. Out of print but you can :filez: it. And surprise! it's way better than the prequels.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone wanna guess why The Dune Encyclopedia is still out of print?!? (Despite Frank Herbert writing the foreword?)

Yup...

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

He doesn't look like that, are you really reading Dune or just watching Lynch's movie?

He's a fat non-crazy future space jerk noble and he loves diddling boys but the levitator belt (second phase of the Holtzmann effect was it?) and sores and heart-plugs and balls-to-the-wall murderous insanity are a David Lynch original.

No, he had anti-grav belts to support his fat-rear end so he could even move in the book. The sores and other poo poo are just standard Lynch bullshit though.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

hemophilia posted:

i haven't read a dune book past the first one but i remember watching the intro to david lynch's version and it was the most boring slideshow and the worst way to start a movie.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I liked how Dune and the Encyclopedia describe the Butlerian Jihad being as much against "machine thought" as against literal machines. When people in the Dune universe talk about "machine domination" that's sort of their own biased/loaded term about the past, like how we use the term "Dark Ages." But it was more about revolting against a degenerate way of life that had become dominant after machines were built to run everything. Like Bora Horza Gobuchul in Consider Phlebas and the way he thinks about The Culture is a lot like how Dune people think of society before the Jihad.

And the precipitating cause was unjustified, assembly-line-style abortions on a planet by an AI-run hospital. Translate that into the Brian/Kevin prequels, and you get the Decepticons dropping a baby off a balcony complete with a splat sound and the mother screaming "my baby!"

SunAndSpring posted:

No, he had anti-grav belts to support his fat-rear end so he could even move in the book. The sores and other poo poo are just standard Lynch bullshit though.
The main thing that sinks that movie and makes it unreedemable is the extreme homophobia. The Baron is a homosexual villain and then Lynch went and added sores ... in 1984.

Morally Inept
Mar 5, 2012

by XyloJW
The prequels were better than the originals. Far more entertaining than the dad's books.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Morally Inept posted:

The prequels were better than the originals. Far more entertaining than the dad's books.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Omi-Polari posted:

The main thing that sinks that movie and makes it unreedemable is the extreme homophobia. The Baron is a homosexual villain and then Lynch went and added sores ... in 1984.

it's a throwaway line in the books when the baron asks for a slaveboy who resembles paul atreides. i read it more as him being a pederast than a depraved homosexual.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

white people never get attacked by sandworms

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

etalian posted:

white people never get attacked by sandworms

white people fly across the desert in ornithopters like this *fpt*fpt*fpt*fpt*fpt*fpt*fpt*fpt*fpt*fpt*

fremen walk across the desert like this step...step..step.step.....step.step...step..stepstep..step....step

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

would

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I saw this in a movie theater a couple months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WWu1kclNDA

Literally EVERYTHING was in place to REALLY DO THIS and they had the budget and everyone ready to go for it - but then the studio got dumb and said no.

We were cheated out of a dune that would have had the collaborative efforts of: Pink Floyd. Dali. Orson Welles. HR Giger. Moebius. Magma. And countless other talents and soon-to-be-established talents from that time. Holy poo poo.

Fortunately - The team that he assembled to create the movie went on to do a ton of other influential things. And a lot of the work they made mutated into things you see in other films later - so even without the film being made the film art & business was revolutionized after all.

He is also cool with the idea of someone taking his original script and realizing it in animated form. :eyepop:

Oh and after he got done with movies, he went on to create a massive body of work writing really cool arty comics (to this day) that are as bizarre and beautiful as his films. He's returning to movie-making to direct a new film now too.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Morally Inept posted:

Aren't you the guy who hosed a dog?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I'm like really sure morally inept raped a dog.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Spacedad posted:

Literally EVERYTHING was in place to REALLY DO THIS and they had the budget and everyone ready to go for it - but then the studio got dumb and said no.

We were cheated out of a dune that would have had the collaborative efforts of: Pink Floyd. Dali. Orson Welles. HR Giger. Moebius. Magma. And countless other talents and soon-to-be-established talents from that time. Holy poo poo.

Fortunately - The team that he assembled to create the movie went on to do a ton of other influential things. And a lot of the work they made mutated into things you see in other films later - so even without the film being made the film art & business was revolutionized after all.

He is also cool with the idea of someone taking his original script and realizing it in animated form. :eyepop:

Oh and after he got done with movies, he went on to create a massive body of work writing really cool arty comics (to this day) that are as bizarre and beautiful as his films. He's returning to movie-making to direct a new film now too.

I thought he walked out in anger on pink floyd for not taking his vision super seriously?

I would like to have seen Jodorowski's dune, make no mistake. I'd have also liked to see Lynch's cut of Dune, but Jodorowski's seems like something pretty disconnected from Dune itself.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Spacedad posted:

Dream on, nobody knows how a movie ends up being until it's done. Also Jodorowsky's comic books are not even a fraction of the quality of his movies. They're mediocre visually and only ok story-wise and would get lost in dozens of similar sci-fi projects that get released every year if Jodorowsky's name wasn't attached to them. Moebius's comics he made with Jodorowsky are by far his worst works and he would do way better by himself. Feel free to ride the hype train though.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I liked that doc but one of the things that irked me was how they'd say "hollywood just couldn't handle his vision. they were afraid of him!" yes, they were afraid of investing a lot of money in a bunch of euro artistes who were promising something too good to be true. and jodorowsky was absolutely intransigent about having total directorial control.

directorial control is good. too little and you get david lynch's dune. but the opposite and you can get the star wars prequels (which made a lot of money, but still) or heaven's gate.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

she'd just compare you unfavorably to Duke Leto

still, would

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Fools, Chani is were it's at.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

What a goon

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

MeLKoR posted:

Fools, Chani is were it's at.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pondex posted:

What a goon
last unicorn games really had the best dune art. it kept with the lynch low-tech baroque look. the tv miniseries made caladan look like an apple store.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
nice av.

sting is nice too but too much on the bad boy side.

i'm literally gay for dune

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
He can weird my module any time...

Also the Jodorowsky movie, as visually cool as it might have been, would likely have been an unwatchable mess, like every Tarkovsky movie ever.
Me, I want Ridley Scott in his glory days to direct a Dune movie, using Lynch's aesthetics.
Maybe get Scorsese on the team, to direct the scenes involving cold-blooded future space diplomacy and cut-throatery.
Get Al Pacino as Shaddam IV, recast Patrick Stewart as Gurney, Karl Urban as Paul Atreides, De Niro as Duncan Idaho, Joe Pesci as Baron Harkonnen, Johnny Depp as Piter DeVries, hell I'm getting a hardon just thinking about it.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

etalian posted:

The SyFy dune remake had a much better baron harkonnen despite being pretty bad overall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mObFjNk4c20

House Harkonnen is a u-store-it facility in a Tucson strip mall

"it seemed the proper way" :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Morally Inept posted:

He wasn't a goon because he was a strong chiseled character and only became fat when Gaius Mohium gave him a disease by manipulating her own body chemistry to activate a degenerate disease when he was forcing himself on her.

gently caress you and the horse you rode in on, thats not canon

• Locked thread