Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Lid posted:

ELECTION NOW!

Also:

What a load of utter failures.

It's pretty much their motto at this point.

House Liberal: No Modelling Was Done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Kelly is awesome

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Captain Matchbox posted:

Hi thread. I never thought I'd see one of these in the wild, but... I just saw a Facebook/instagram picture with someone dressed up as the Fresh Prince of Belair, complete with blackface.

Called the person out on it, but apparently this still can be defended in tyool 2014?

Mate it can't be racist if you're just joking around, jeez chill out wouldya

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

You can't even buy an opal card at a train station :laffo:

Oh and station staff aren't allowed to do anything with them either, all they will say is "talk to Opal". And if the card readers crash (happens not infrequently), the only solution is to reboot the ticket barriers which takes about 5 minutes. This happened at Town Hall at about 8:45am last week :laugh:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Quantum Mechanic posted:

At this point are they really going to stop you if you hop the gate?

They don't need to - if you don't tap off the system charges you the maximum fare, even if you only actually travelled two stops :waycool:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Ler posted:

no link yet but Mike Carlton has left SMH.

More proof that the Jewish mafia runs the world

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

ewe2 posted:

Sharri Markson has been trumpeting her success about it on twitter this morning. She put together a pdf of all of Mike Carlton's responses as proof of his abuse. She forwarded 15 of his emails to the SMH editor, who then pressured Carlton to resign.

So how did she get the emails and what was Carlton responding to? :iiam: I don't think the guy was smart to do what he did, because clearly Murdoch Ltd has decided if they can't win the circulation wars, they'll just whittle down the other side.

Yeah replying like that to readers isn't a great idea, but as he said this morning there's only so many times you can get called "Nazi scum" before you start telling people to gently caress off.

deathofmusic posted:

''It's not what you're doing on the internet, it's the sites you're visiting, it's not the content, it's the sites that you've been,''

It's the law, it's Mabo, it's the vibe

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Man I've really missed ICAC

quote:

ICAC hears that Liberal party boss Brian Loughnane knew of developer donations going through federal channels

Federal Liberal Party director Brian Loughnane has been drawn into a corruption scandal embroiling the party after an inquiry heard allegations he rubberstamped the use of federal channels to subvert the NSW ban on donations from property developers.

The Independent Commission Against Corruption resumed public hearings on Wednesday in Operation Spicer, its inquiry in to Liberal Party fundraising.

The allegations aired during a two-hour opening address, delivered by counsel assisting the commission, Geoffrey Watson, SC, resulted in Liberal MPs Tim Owen and Andrew Cornwell stepping aside from the party and joining the crossbench.

An email shown at the inquiry suggests Mr Loughnane agreed for donations from property developers - which were banned in NSW in 2009 - to be made to the federal party to subvert the laws.

“Brian Loughnane has agreed that for the time being the Fed Sec will operate on the policy…in effect, there is no benefit for a NSW donor to donate to via the Fed Sec, unless they are a property developer,” said Federal Liberal executive Colin Gracie in an email to Simon McInnes, the finance director of the NSW Liberal party.

The email was sent in July 2010.

The inquiry heard members of the Liberal Party subverted the donation laws by diverting money through the Canberra-based Free Enterprise foundation, before sending it back to the NSW branch to use in the 2011 State election.

Mr Watson said that “there is evidence that the use of the Free Enterprise Foundation in this fashion was known at high levels of the Liberal Party''.

Mr Loughnane is not only the federal head of the party, his wife Peta Credlin is Prime Minister Tony Abbott’s chief of staff.

Mr Watson told the hearing that the NSW branch of the Liberal Party used the Free Enterprise Foundation “as a means of washing and re-channelling donations made by prohibited donors”.

The inquiry has heard that Mr McInnes has been very “helpful” to the ICAC.

Earlier, Mr Watson said investigations during the adjournment had "proved fruitful" and there was evidence of "serious irregularities" in the campaign for Mr Owen's seat of Newcastle and Mr Cornwall's neighbouring seat of Charlestown.

Premier Mike Baird said in a statement on Wednesday that he had accepted the MPs' decisions to "stand aside from the parliamentary Liberal Party and relinquish any parliamentary positions they currently hold".

He said he made "no judgement" regarding the outcome of Operation Spicer, the Independent Commission Against Corruption's inquiry into Liberal Party fundraising.

"However, it will take time for the allegations to be resolved, and I am not prepared to allow this to become a distraction for the party or the government," Mr Baird said.

Property developer and Newcastle mayor Jeff McCloy and prominent developer Hilton Grugeon face allegations they made illegal donations to the Liberals during the 2011 election campaign and disguised the donations using "sham" invoices.

Property developers have been banned from making political donations in NSW since 2009.

In a sensational twist on Wednesday, Mr Owen's campaign manager Hugh Thomson has rolled over and is assisting the commission in return for an indemnity against prosecution.

The commission heard Mr Cornwell has given evidence Mr McCloy summoned him to a meeting in his Bentley before the last election and handed over a "large wad of bills".

He took the cash totalling $10,000 home and it was later given to the Liberal Party. Mr McCloy denies the claims.

Counsel assisting the inquiry Geoffrey Watson, SC, said Mr Cornwell has been "helpful" to the commission and while his actions "may have been unwise, it would seem to us that those actions may have been the product of a degree of inexperience in the face of high pressure tactics from some determined characters".

He added there was "no evidence" Mr Cornwell favoured the interests of Mr McCloy or Mr Grugeon.

Mr Watson said investigations since the inquiry last held public hearings had "proved fruitful" and there was evidence of "serious irregularities in the way those campaigns" for the Hunter Valley seats were conducted.

"There will be a lot of evidence," Mr Watson said. "Much will depend on who is believed and who is not believed."

Mr Watson said there was evidence that former police minister Mike Gallacher was aware of the funding arrangements and "suggested some of them".

He added that embattled coal mogul Nathan Tinkler's property development group Buildev would get "quite a mention in this inquiry".

The inquiry has previously heard allegations that Mr Gallacher was involved in a "corrupt scheme" with Buildev to channel illegal donations to Mr Owen's campaign.

Mr Owen announced in May that he would not recontest the next election because it appeared "highly likely" prohibited donors "did contribute in some way to my election campaign" without his knowledge.

Mr Watson said there would be evidence the campaign for Mr Owen's seat was "partly funded" by illegal sources.

The campaign for Mr Cornwell's adjoining seat was also under scrutiny over allegations of "seriousl electoral funding irregularities".

Mr Owen will be investigated over his involvement in the scheme to take illegal donations.

The ICAC will also examine whether former Labor treasurer Eric Roozendaal and his corrupt former colleague Joe Tripodi "improperly took steps" to benefit Nathan Tinkler's property development group while in government.

Also rolling over is Mr Tripodi's former friend, Vince Fedele, who has given evidence about Mr Tripodi's involvement in a campaign to undermine former Labor minister Jodi McKay, who opposed Buildev's plans for a coal loader.

Mr Watson has foreshadowed potential problems for Mr Tripodi, saying that "attempting to influence a person to give false evidence is a serious offence".

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/icac-hear...806-100vlc.html

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Haters Objector posted:

Why does he melt down so hard over a forum game?

:shrug:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Dunno if I've mentioned here before, but I actually went to high school with that guy (Khaled Sharrouf). I used to copy off him in year 9 maths class!

He was always a slightly troubled kid, didn't really have any actual friends though he hung out in a group with the other Lebanese kids. From memory he left school after year 10. Going to a selective school I kind of expected a classmate to end up on the front page at some point, but not quite for that reason :v:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Gough Suppressant posted:

I find the Melbourne one intensely amusing. Caulfield is basically the Jewish hub of Australia, but apparently it has really heavy South African population too. I guess something about it really attracts apartheidists of various stripes?

Yeah, Bellevue Hill and St Ives are basically the Jewish hubs of Sydney and they're both listed as South African as well. Maybe a lot of Jewish Australians have South African heritage?

It's weird though, most of my Jewish friends have eastern European heritage eg Hungarian.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Seriously, stop whatever you're doing and watch the full interview. The guy who thinks of himself as the smartest man in Cabinet (if not the parliament) takes literally five minutes to stammer and stutter his way through explaining the difference between a website and a webpage. "We're not monitoring your web surfing, just the addresses of the sites you visit"

Clark & Dawe are out of a job.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Antlions posted:

So, something I'm not sure about : ICAC good? ICAC bad? ICAC good but run by bad people? I hear bits and pieces about it but I don't really have any context to go on.

ICAC good.

They have unique powers to expose corruption, and do so with gusto. The only problem I have with it is that some of their evidence can't be used by the DPP in criminal proceedings so it's very difficult to then criminally convict someone who's been found corrupt.

Generally speaking, anyone who professes to hate ICAC is just cheerleading - the main reason they don't like it is because their "team" is the current focus.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

sidviscous posted:

If there's anything that this last year has taught me, it's how fundamentally flawed the concept of meritocracy is... Just how many of these uber wealthy captains of industry are actually dumb as poo poo.

Like - we all suspected it, but we seem to be reminded of it on a daily basis.

Remember the three generation rule: it takes one generation to make a business, another generation to build a business, and a third generation to ruin it.

Thinking specifically of the Murdochs, the Packers, the Hancock/Rineharts etc...

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Captain Pissweak posted:

It's really telling that the only person in the Liberal party even vaguely capable of commenting on climate change as a result of their background is a vocal denier of it.

Clearly means it's bullshit m8

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

She got a $60k scholarship off the back of one 15 minute interview before she'd even received any grades to get that D average, she absolutely knew it was dodgy as gently caress and deserves the scrutiny

To be honest, when you're the child of someone wealthy and powerful this sort of poo poo probably happens all the time. I honestly doubt she thought twice about it, and probably assumed it happens to everyone else as well.

You've got to remember how oblivious most people are to their own privilege.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

hyperbowl posted:

The Jewish school near my parents' house has had armed guards at the gate since at least the 90s. It wasn't because of jihadists then and it isn't because of jihadists now.

It wasn't even that long ago that the Israeli consulate and a Jewish club in Sydney got bombed.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

In my daytime career (as opposed to my shitposting career), I partly do work with one of Australia's biggest loyalty card programs, though not one of the supermarket ones. The amount of data that loyalty card programs generate per customer is absolutely phenomenal. The supermarkets have been doing this sort of stuff for ages, and have brought in people from the UK to beef up their programs - remember that Tesco in the UK is also a bank.

They're already crunching huge amounts of data about you; whether it will be useful to political parties I don't know. You'd certainly be able to predict political leanings based on a very small sample size though!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Tirade posted:

It'd be fascinating to see whether likely political leaning could be teased out from shopping habits. Door-knocking is a really good tool but it's a limited resource and any way to be smarter about where it's employed would be really valuable. So say for example there was an incredibly strong link established such that someone buying a line of organic products is 90% likely to vote Green. Those people no longer get a visit from door-knockers, because their vote is pretty much locked in already. Or alternatively, people who buy "Atlas Scrubbed" body wash who have only a 1% likelihood to vote Green, who can now also be crossed off the list.

Could it be done? Probably, but without any external validation you have no way of knowing whether it's correct or not.

With one of our clients, we asked about 2,000 of their loyalty club members how much they agreed with a list of about 15 statements. From that, we created a model that covered off 9 distinct customer segments, each with different preferences and buying habits etc. We then matched this against their loyalty club data, and used that data to predict which segment each customer would fall into. Once our algorithm could do that, we applied it across their entire loyalty club database (several million members). From memory, we managed to categorise I think about 89% of the database which we were pretty happy with!

So using something like that, you'd definitely be able to do it - it's just a matter of actually getting the data in the first place. I doubt Coles or Woolies would be all that keen on sharing their loyalty card data without getting something in return!!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Splode posted:

pretty sure using invasive data collection for your own ends is bad, and a better policy would be "We'll push for legislation to ban woolies and coles collecting all this data because it's bad for society to have huge corporations manipulating their customers into doing things they otherwise wouldn't!"

I don't disagree with you, but at this point you'd be locking the gate when the horse is halfway across the state.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Tokamak posted:

Without going deep into their data collection policies, I always wondered how far supermarket data collection goes. I know that loyalty stuff gets taken, but I always wondered if there was anything stopping them from collecting every transaction. There's plenty of value in (pseudo-)anonymous transaction records. Knowing how people can be easily psychologically manipulated, its odd that the government maintains a pretty laissez-faire attitude towards data collection. If the government collected and used everything they could about a person in the way a retailer does, we'd be up in arms about it.

Every single sale gets tracked, but not on an individual level. They can tell you how many bottles of Coke or kilos of onions or whatever get sold in a week (if you're interested Nielsen Retail and Aztek are the primary data houses for this), but not who's buying them or in conjunction with what.

That's why the loyalty card exists - it's a number you swipe at the checkout that connects the dots between all your purchases.

The data gets used for non-nefarious purposes as well, things like "oh hey people who buy Doritos are 37% more likely to buy at least one chocolate bar per shop, let's put some Cadbury blocks on special near the Doritos". Stuff like that feeds into store layouts as well as pricing etc - it can lead to better sales and sometimes a better outcome for customers as well.

All that said, I don't have any loyalty cards :)

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Murodese posted:

You can also use shopping lists to work out when people are likely to develop chronic diseases and use browsing history to build a full physical and mental health profile of people, which is ~invaluable~ for insurance agencies.

You'll be happy to know that Coles has partnered with Medibank! If you link your Medibank account info with your Fly Buys card, you get ~double points~ on healthy items like fruit and vegetables. They're strangely silent on what Medibank does with that data but it's not a huge leap to guess! (It's exactly what you said)

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

You've gotta be loving kidding me, they put that photo of a child with a severed head on the front loving page

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Anidav posted:

There's no loving way the LNP are winning the next NSW election after so many beheadings, right?

The current NSW opposition leader (John Roberston) "forgot" to tell police he was offered a $3 million bribe from a property developer (Michael McGurk) who was later murdered by another property developer (Ron Medich).

The bribe was offered over the sale of a ~unions NSW~ property as well :laugh:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Vladimir Poutine posted:

I get that this is just garden variety :tinfoil: but is there a particular reason they picked her?

She's young, female and a Green. She's not a foreigner, but three outta four ain't bad!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Easily the best post of the week

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Orkin Mang posted:

Are all the Coalition's policies formulated on the basis of gut-feelings and random anecdotes? Because it seems like they've done practically no research, not even preliminary research, in the areas in which they're trying to pass legislation. A moment's thought would tell you that poorer people will be hit harder than the richer on average by an increase in the fuel excise.

It's not that they don't know, it's that they don't care.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

This is like one of those A Current Affair parodies, except its 100% real :wtc:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Peter Phelps just took a steaming dump.

Fixed that up for you :)

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Palmersaurus posted:

Wayne Karlen @AlaMerQld · Aug 2
Of course the fact that some of the teenagers were born In India doesn't stop @smh reporting fiction. Suggest check @australian for facts

Wayne Karlen @AlaMerQld · Aug 1
What was @smh expecting - an invite to a going away party? Another leftard beatup - read @australian for real news.

Wayne Karlen @AlaMerQld · Jul 25
Cruel is @smh pining to return to ALP open border policies that resulted in 1200+ drowning. At least @australian reports balanced views

Wayne Karlen @AlaMerQld · Jul 25
Just like @smh @clementine_ford to blame it all on men. Hypocritical - at least @australian will call a spade a spade! @AndrewBoltsBlog

Wayne Karlen likes:
https://www.facebook.com/wkarlen/likes

A lot of surprises there!!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

(Phone-posting) Can someone post the Courier-Mail front page?

Also ICAC today has been glorious.

Scylo posted:

I wonder why nobody buys newspapers anymore

What's happening at ICAC?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Gough Suppressant posted:

Ahahaha even Bernardi is telling Hockey to stop being such a fuckhead.

The SMH article on the same subject quotes the Senator for Xstrata saying much the same thing

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Anidav posted:

I shouldn't jump to conclusions but my advertising assignment is to build a campaign for Lindt Chocolate and my lecturer previously worked for them decades ago. Probably a coincidence.

If it was decades ago I wouldn't get too worked up about it to be honest. They probably picked them because they're familiar with the business and the challenges that it faces.

If the lecturer is still in active contact with folks that work there, then yeah that's a problem.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Anidav posted:

Probably but after Bill Glasson every assignment I've done just feels like secretly working for Satan.

Sounds like you're being nicely set up for life in the corporate world! Today I learned we're about to do a research project for a tobacco company :suicide:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

"smartjobs", "queensland", "government" is possibly the funniest domain name I can think of

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Anyone with a crikey sub able to post the latest Grundle?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

HookShot posted:

Man my high school was boring, we didn't have anyone like that in my grade :(

There was an autistic kid a year younger who would sometimes do funny things but that was it.

My high school was full of racial tension: Lebanese kids vs Vietnamese kids vs Anglo kids. It all came to a head in year 10 when a few after-school scuffles escalated into a Vietnamese crime gang from Cabramatta (5T for anyone who remembers) turning up at school and going after a Lebanese kid with a machete :wtc:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I haven't read that crazy-rear end constitution, but did they seriously forget to claim ownership of the soil/minerals etc underneath territorial Australia?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Murodese posted:

e; I feel as if news.com.au hasn't realised that clickhole is a satire of sites like clickhole and they've instead used it as an instruction manual.

Even SMH are doing that clickbait headline poo poo these days. They had a story about Robin Williams's daughter getting trolled on twitter and the summary was something like "I'M SHAKING RIGHT NOW, I JUST CAN'T: The late comedian's daughter received an outpouring of support on social media, along with several vicious trolls. You won't believe what they said to her."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Gotta be prepared for the imminent Indonesian invasion mate

Only thing I can think of is something about stopping foreign (ie Chinese) investors from holding large swathes of Australian cash when (in their crazy minds) the Chinese are who we'd probably be fighting.

• Locked thread