Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Misanthrope posted:

Soccer leagues haven't started yet and who cares about the first month.

Uhh... well, that would suck, since I'm on my way to a NY RedBulls game.

Something somwthing joke about ~*real soccer*~

E: basketball really should be a summer sport. It's not like they play outdoors and have to worry about it being hot (unless you're Lebron)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Man, I want MDZ to do well. He was on the up for a while in NY, but he just sorta... lost it. You could see him making weird stretch passes seemingly thinking "C'mon, Mike, you can still do this... awwwww gently caress." I feel bad for the dude.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Diet Crack posted:

So uh.. how do the Flyers get under the cap now?

The NHL keeps raising the limbo stick, and the Flyers just keep getting bigger stilts.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

jsoh posted:

agreed but i also want to watch people with a blue and orange jersey win games

Me, too.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I'd like to see the heart rate of some first liners jump up out of excitement when they see that the other team's 4th line and third pairing are out.

And also to see the defending team go "awwwww gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress." I wanna see live data that shows me a human hummingbird.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Did you even watch hockey that season?

Don't think he was born yet.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I definitely thought "whites vs colors" was going somewhere else.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Troy Donnay at 6'7" 185lbs. That is a skinny hockeymans.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

The Wilkes-Barre Knights are moving to New Jersey. They will then be known as the Keasbey Knights. I don't know if I should be glad that Pennsylvania is losing a team, or sad that NJ is getting a team. It's a real catch-22.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Hand Knit posted:

I feel like I should encourage people to, generally, stay a little more on hockey-topic even if it is August.

The judging of NHL game soundtracks is... somewhat hockey-oriented discussion, right?

I really wish some arenas would stop playing the same poo poo over and over. RockRoll2.mid and Seven Nation Army "OHHH OH OH OH OH OHHHHHH OHHHHHH" and the like. (Though, I do kind of have a soft spot for Rock n Roll pt 2.) Man, if I was in charge of the music.... oh, wait, I already interviewed for that once.....st-...still waitin' on that callback... :smith:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I'd like to see a frequency graph for $/point and a separate chart for $/SV% or something like that. Assemble the most bang for your buck team.

Or, like, $ per corsi event. ($25 per shot attempt?! HOT drat THAT'S A STEAL.)

JoelJoel posted:

Yeah, but I think there's already a thread for that.

Is there?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Dallas Eakins minces no words.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

dyn posted:

I want to know why the hockey news thinks the NHL should bannish the ice girls.

Because those wimmin don't belong at a hockey game those gals don't even keep their eye on the game they're just gonna be sitting and BLAMMO spit on the face from the bench ya gotta keep yer head up lady

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Vincent Van Goat posted:

I'm against it mainly because I feel that at best, it adds nothing to the game, and at worst, it treats women less as people and more as objects to be observed.

This, mainly. Also, the (apparently) terrible working conditions. It also makes me feel a bit weird when the fairly drunk fifty-something man one row down from me is hollering at the girls on the ice.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Teeter posted:

They clean up the ice during TV timeouts, entertain the crowd during stoppages, and do all sorts of charity and outreach for the community all year long. They're also pretty active with social media and put up a lot of interesting behind the scenes stuff on Instagram/Facebook. Two of my good friends have been ice girls (one NHL, the other ECHL) and both loved it because it was an extremely rewarding opportunity and about as good as it gets in terms of a part time job while going to school. I'd say they contribute quite a bit to any given franchise and I really don't understand the opposition to them unless it's some blanket statement about it being a travesty to show skin in their uniforms. Hell, like 40% of the ice crew here are male.

Of course, I base all of this off my experience in LA so maybe it's the complete opposite for other teams.

It's cool to hear that a few of them like it, but after reading stuff like this it makes it seem like not the best job. And, even if the individuals themselves are okay and accepting of the "role" they're taking it's still perpetuating a social problem that I'm not entirely okay with. But also the ice girls need to be saved from being spit on and hacked at by the likes of Parise and Lundqvist.

I mean, I'd like to believe that most of the ice girls have a good experience that helps them get through school and experience the positives you listed (and more) but more than a few of them have come to say that they are treated very poorly.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Zamboni Jesus posted:

the ice bucket challenge thing might be dumb but wouldn't we all like to dump a bucket of ice water on gary bettman's head

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=49&id=629400&cmpid=nhl-twt

Oh nooooo, how did that hydrofloric acid get in theeerrrreeee?!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

The fact that his default tactic for CBA negotiations is to hold a lockout is sort of damning. And somehow it always gets spun that the players are to blame, but that prolly has to do with how the North American populace feels about employees in general.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Hand Knit posted:

Bettman comes from the law firm of Proskauer Rose (who now represent all major NA sports leagues), who are notorious for being extremely anti-labour in ideology. I can't find the exact article now, but they are very interested in professional sports negotiations because they think of it as a good way to encourage anti-union sentiment.

Oh, so triple-gently caress him, then.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Vicas posted:

i want this kid to make it so i can start going to Islanders games, first for the cheap seats but then for my love of the Ho-Sang

This is the Isle's last season at the Coliseum, so cheap seats (like $7 seats) might be a thing of the past next year.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Why can't he dress like a good ol' Canadian boy?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

IBurnStuffAlot posted:

Hey RottenCookies and I are going to try to form a carpool system for Isles games as the Coliseum, contact one of us and I'm sure we can grab you for a game... @thebrownjesus

or @niceonewern since I am a poor who doesn't have plat. But then, you knew that already.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I think the Metro is going to be a bloodbowl this year. But, like, in a toilet-bowl-full-of-bloody-stool sort of way. Lots of turds trying to float to the top.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

:dance: Oh hell yes.

Now, about Capuano.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

JoelJoel posted:

-The Hamilton Hammer(s)!

:mrapig: or :redhammer: ?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Rene Bork posted:

If we're considering dirty cities nobody likes

No, no, they're talking about moving the Islanders OUT of NY.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Zodijackylite posted:

Down goes brown has already been drawing a crowd near St. Louis.

:stare:

ooh. Oooh, drat.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Heh, it's just like Montreal Canadiens, heh heh

instead of the habs sleeping with someone for money, its that they sleep with the refs for favorable calls. And also sleeping with people for favorable drafting rules. So you see the posting of these prostitutes from the 40's are funny and topical to this hockey thread because __[find reason and post it later]____.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

1) What is that?

2) If I can't identify the food, I don't know that I'd want to eat it.

3) Why don't NHL arenas just sell food in feed bags?

4) Dude, look out. That liquid cheese-lookin' substance is about to drip onto your arm.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Contract the Bruins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Levitate posted:

Sports guys are creepy, got it. Glad I skipped the last three weeks and instead got to look at pretty mountains and watch some marmots steal a subway sandwich out of some dumbass' pack

The NHL needs a team called the Marmots, can we relocate some Canadian team ?

I don't know how to make a good joke. But this is all I can think of with Marmots.

• Locked thread