Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Just played a game using Krassis Trelix w/ Heavy Laser Cannon, seemed to work quite well together.

I recently picked up the Imperial Aces box (because I love TIE Interceptors), and was wanting to get some kind of 3 or 4 Interceptor list together. Don't have much else to accompany them though, just some Wave 1 and 2 ships. It seems to me that the high pilot skill guys are necessary to keep your dudes from getting blown away or outmaneuvered, and at that point the low amount of damage I'd be able to take from having 4 ships with only 3 hull points each just doesn't sit well with me at all. Any thoughts?

Also, having nothing else but the first two wave ships and a Z-95, I can't figure out ANYTHING to do with the HWK I just picked up either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

So I tried out a mini swarm the other day against a Falcon XX build, and didn't do so well. It did get me thinking though, in the middle stages of the game all hell breaks loose for my mini swarm, no matter the composition. I'm making falcons run into academy pilots and my dudes are turning and barrel rolling into range one and behind firing arcs and the thing just becomes a big mass of ships flying every which way. Total chaos.

So why not swap in a Scimitar Squadron TIE bomber? Maybe throw a little seismic charge or proximity mine on there and see if I can set up some decent hits on my opponent while keeping my own bros out of the blast zone.

Well, that train of thought set off a cascade of good and bad decisions which led me to this build:

+++ New Roster (100pts) +++
+++ 100pt Imperial Roster (Standard)) +++

Selections:

Imperial (Standard) Selections:

+ TIE Bomber + (25pts)

* PS 2 - Scimitar Squadron Pilot (25pts)
(Barrel Roll, Focus, Target Lock)
2x Concussion Missiles (8pts), Munitions Failsafe (1pts)

+ TIE Fighter + (44pts)

* PS 1 - Academy Pilot (12pts)
(Barrel Roll, Evade, Focus)

* PS 1 - Academy Pilot (12pts)

* PS 8 - •"Howlrunner" (20pts)
Swarm Tactics (2pts)

+ Lambda-Class Shuttle + (31pts)

* PS 6 - •Colonel Jendon (31pts)
(Focus, Target Lock)
Fire-Control System (2pts), Weapons Engineer (3pts)

I basically let the academy pilots sprint forward in a staggered formation to block enemy ships while Jendon passes target locks to the scimitar, who focuses and throws concussion missiles out from as far back as I can manage. Howl is at this point just helping out the shuttle and throwing a PS8 onto the bomber. Once the distance begins to close or if the TIEs get splattered/outmaneuvered earlier than expected, she will close and contribute where she can.

With this build I absolutely DESTROYED the aforementioned Han Solo w/ engine mod, Tarn Mison, Jek Porkins w/ Veteran Instincts build that so thoroughly trounced my mini swarm the game before. I think I managed to block the Falcon from moving for something like 3 turns straight. Sitting duck for those focused concussion missiles and the shuttle's guns. I've never gotten an opponent so pissed as when I pulled a 0 move with the shuttle and caused the x-wings to pile up immediately after the falcon went down, too. It was great fun.

I want to buy another TIE Bomber.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

CODChimera posted:

What kind of movements is it? Kinda interested to see what one plays like...

Haven't used my transport yet, but if the Tantive is any sort of indication, they move really drat slowly. Last two epic games I played, my CR-90 barely made it across the board at a slight angle before the end. I found it to be most useful to keep one side of the ship oriented towards the bulk of the enemy forces and move as far as I could while charging all my weapons to max energy. Just keep pumping out shots on anything with low agility.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I have used Tycho Celchu, A-Wing Test Pilot, Push the Limit, Daredevil, Chardaan Refit with some success as well. It's fun pushing around that pile of stress tokens.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

CODChimera posted:

Is Navigator not insanely good? Used it on my Falcon tonight and loved it.

I've been focused on TIE swarms for so long that I neglected to try out Boba Fett + Navigator + Engine Upgrade all this time. Reveal a bank maneuver, use any bank maneuver you want. Throw in some Royal Guard Pilot + Push the Limit for all sorts of shenanigans.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

The Sisko posted:

Hey guys. Just popping in to say that I got the core set for this game a few days ago at LGS and I'm having a blast. So far Ive liked playing the Imperial faction due to their speed and maneuverability and I've always liked the ships in general.How should I expand my stuff from here? I saw some Imperial Aces expansions at my LGS. Should that be a good place to start?

Buy yourself the imperial aces expansion and at least one TIE Fighter. Its a good start.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Or just say gently caress it and buy yourself two b-wings and a yt-1300

I MEAN GODDAMN

Does anybody else keep encountering fat Han and two blue boys? What strategies have emerged for reliably countering such a list?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

PJOmega posted:

Figure you all would be interested in this. Apparently TIE Fighter is getting a digital rerelease for modern computers.

http://kotaku.com/x-wing-tie-fighter-are-finally-getting-digital-re-rele-1651470045

As someone who has gone through the trouble of trying to get X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter and X-Wing Alliance to work on their modern (like eight years ago) PC, this news, if authentic, breathes a little warmth into my icy heart.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Played a game against a buddy's YT-2400, B-Wing, X-Wing build the other day. I ran 3 TIE Fighter Academy Pilots and 3 TIE Interceptor Saber Squadron Pilots. It was tense, but I ended up winning with 4 of my ships still intact. I think I have more fun with this game playing mini swarm lists than anything else. Flying the big ships around or putting lots of points into something just isn't very appealing now.

I still bought the new wave stuff anyway.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

zVxTeflon posted:

can we keep at least 1 starwars related thread on this site free of endless whogivesashit.txt posts about canon?

This.

I probably read 50 Star Wars books when I was a kid, Rogue Squadron and all kinds of other stuff. I remember quite a few characters and things that weren't in the movies or video games, but I don't give a gently caress who got cut from the list.

All I want is that Raider and an excuse to run Vader again.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So as hour 14 of being stranded at the airport descends upon me, i sit here wondering to myself "How would you even build a squad that uses bombs effectively?

I tried many times to do something like cut out some academy TIEs from a swarm and replace them with a pair of bombers with seismic charges to drop into and around traffic jams, but it hasn't really worked out for me. Which is a drat shame because I love TIE bombers.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

gently caress, I just ordered a Tantive IV while they were still $60 instead of $100 because it was the last one left. I don't know if I'll ever play with it, but it will look cool on my shelf. And it will let me play Fat Han. I didn't make a dumb investment... did I?

I did the same sometime over the summer. I've used the Tantive a grand total of two times, but C-3PO hits the table quite a bit.

Hopefully when the imperial ship drops we can get some epic games in.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

CODChimera posted:

Ugh I still haven't ordered anything.

I ordered the most wanted set from amazon since they claimed it was in stock, but they won't ship until March 2nd. I wanted it to run a goofy new list at a tournament this weekend.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I''l be heading to my FLGS for an X-Wing tournament tomorrow morning. I've never been there for an event before, and have no idea what to expect. I'm just taking my for funsies Imperial list, Academy Pilot x3 and Saber Squadron x3, participation prize is an alt art soontir fel, should be fun I hope.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Strobe posted:

What city?

Indianapolis, Game Preserve north

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Lost pretty hard with TIEx3 TIE/Inx3 today, which was not unexpected. Took a single modified win out of 4 matches, against the only person at the tournament that I've played against before, and that one just barely. Got my alt art Baron card tho, and pick up an M3-A, with Most Wanted on the way tomorrow.

The dice were not with me today, as I'm coming to realize a swarm of naked ships with no abilities will rely heavily upon. I had so many instances where I would drop ten attack dice against an E-Wing or Star Viper across three attacks and end up dealing one damage to the thing against nothing but defensive dice, it was crazy. Had a good time at my first tournament though, and would like to do it more often.

There were a few instances of people gaming the system that I didn't care for, just people who were clearly regulars at the league at that store getting rules wrong in their favor unless called out, but I imagine that's just something you have to watch for in anything like this.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

For reals. I haven't been excited to try a new list out since Rebel Aces, but now that S&V is out I'm enjoying it again.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Tried my S&V list out today

+++ Emon and Pals (100pts) +++

++ Scum and Villainy (Standard) (100pts) ++

+ Y-Wing (57pts) +

PS 5 - •Drea Renthal (27pts) [BTL-A4 Y-Wing, Ion Cannon Turret (5pts)]

PS 7 - •Kavil (30pts) [Autoblaster Turret (2pts), Opportunist (4pts)]

+ Firespray-31 (43pts) +

PS 6 - •Emon Azzameen (43pts) [Intelligence Agent (1pts), 3x Seismic Charges (6pts), •Andrasta]

Drea did not perform, but I mostly attribute that to being focused down by Corran Horn and two B-Wings on the second turn. Emon was fun, but seems like he might be missing something to keep him in the fight, I was thinking about finding room for Inertial Dampeners or something.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

alg posted:

Yeah we have the guy who complains about his rolls every goddamn game. Then flies a TIE swarm and doesn't have to use Howlrunner because he just rolls 2 hits on every TIE Fighter. Yup

I have been known to lament the day's dice, but I have enough sense to know that it's mostly my own fault for not taking things that can mitigate their nature, like reroll abilities and such. And I say lament, not whine endlessly or rage out and quit. Bad sportsmanship really kills just about any game for me.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Greyish Orange posted:

So, couple weeks ago I asked for advice and started with one core set and the separate Tie and X-wing.

A week later a guy I know was selling his, and I have more now. Might pick up a most wanted for those extra dials..

0/10

Still don't have one of everything

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Wotsnik posted:

I should have won another game, the opponent took so long to get set up that the TO came around and said in my ear that if I was losing at the time call, he would extend our game by 5 mins. Even with this, I was doing ok, but then one bad turn and I lost two ships at once, so was losing by about 13 points. So I had to start playing safer and just poking him down. Still came down to the last roll to pop a phantom and win, but didn't get it. Two more turns I would have easily had it, maybe even one.

Just not sure how to handle someone that is so slow. He wasn't completely new, but just going on his mannerisms, wasn't stalling either. He was just genuinely a very slow player, particularly on getting his dials done and taking 20-30 seconds every time to even pick them up to start after a turn ended and I clearly would state "we're on the dials again".

I had a similar thing happen at the only tournament I've ever been to a few weeks back. It was pretty annoying. This guy had clearly been playing the game for a while, and I felt like he was definitely stalling as long as he could so as to reduce the number of turns we got in, since I was flying a swarm and he had fat Han and Corran. All he had to do was knock out a TIE or two and then run away, acting like choosing the proper movement setting for "as far away as possible" was a decision that took 8 minutes per ship, longer when he started losing hull points. I swear our last round took 25 minutes, complete with him running off to find the TO to ask if he could use Han's ability on only one of his three dice or some poo poo, the answer to which everybody already knows and was a bullshit ploy to keep from going another round, which would have seen him wiped out.

Even if running down the clock is a valid strategy, dude definitely crossed the line, and probably knew he could do so to his advantage without repercussions. Not much of anything you can do about it past voicing your opinion on the matter.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I really like the TIE bomber but haven't found it very useful so far. I even bought a second one a while back and rarely ever fly them. My recent experiences with the BTL y-wings sporting ion cannons has convinced me to try running a pair of the TIE bombers with ion pulse missiles and other junk to try and run up from a flank and ruin someone's maneuvers in the middle of a game, but haven't tried it yet.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Are the really big ships like the Tantive actually fun to use or are they just sort of a thing you buy to sit on your shelf with a few useable bonus extras?

I've only actually used the CR-90 like three times since I've bought it, and the GR-75 absolutely never. I've heard people have bad experiences with them getting their asses whupped running the epic ships, since they cost a lot and can be fairly vulnerable, but personally I've dominated each of those games. I'm looking forward to the imperial raider coming out, so I can finally have a proper corvette duel, and maybe, just MAYBE, get some epic games in on a more regular basis.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I kinda liked the three white a-wings with different colored stripes, but that alternate scheme is pretty ballin too.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Tekopo posted:

Hey now, I was looking forward to the Hound's Tooth, Bossk owns.

Devlan Mud posted:

Hound's Tooth owns

ExtraCheese posted:

Is that a 180 arc on Hounds Tooth? :getin:

Halverine posted:

Yay for The Hounds Tooth!

GENTLEMEN.

:hf:

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

alg posted:

these people are crazy.

I only play for fun, so I just proxy any ships, dials, or cards I want.

Forgive me X-Wing thread, for I have sinned.

I have not yet purchased an Aggressor to complete my collection of at least one of everything.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I also got to play a game of Armada using the training setup from the instruction book. It was decidedly not as exciting as X-Wing in my opinion. I'm sure we probably got some stuff wrong, but on the whole it didn't feel as dynamic as X-Wing's "swooshier" dogfights and by the time the 6 round limit rolled around neither of us had managed to destroy any capital ships, which meant things boiled down to "who killed the most fighter squadrons" (my opponent, playing Rebels, did). Admittedly we didn't experiment with upgrade cards or anything like that, but after playing the vanilla X-Wing quickstart I was rarin' to go again while after Armada I just wanted to go back to playing X-Wing.

Don't let the demo game kill it for you, the simple addition of building up 180 point sides from the starter kit, drawing a random objective card, and actually playing a game past the "learn to play" scenario (which I found to be merely educational, not fun as well) makes the game MUCH more interesting.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I've just been throwing everything into regular old 9-pocket pages, seems to work just fine.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Rules question regarding epic play... Are you limited to a single epic icon ship (or huge, whatevs) or can you use multiples? Like specifically I was wondering if it would be bending the rules to use both my CR-90 and the GR-75 in a 300-point epic game.

Edit: Nevermind, I found the "Epic Points" section of the epic tournament rules. Apparently you get 5 total epic points for your list, of which the CR-90 counts as 3, and the GR-75 counts as two. So yey.

Reynold fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 24, 2015

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Eh, just stick Jerjerrod in with him.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Endman posted:

Can you daisychain Swarm Tactics?

E.g: Howlrunner (PS 8) upgrades-> Black Sqd (PS 4 to 8) then upgrades-> Academy (PS 1 to 8)

Yes, the FAQ explicitly states that you can.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

By contrast do not go to the official Fantasy Flight Games forums, they are loving terrible.

qft

I went to look up what people were saying might work well with Extra Munitions and there is a thread where this one dude is lovely because his TIE Bomber x4 list still won't win tournaments. Waaaah. Something simply must be done to make an all TIE bomber list viable!

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

X-Wing flight sim series up on steam and on sale, fyi

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Has anybody been running cartel spacers with flechette cannons with any success? I'm tired of spamming z-95s, and at 18 points, a flechette fighter hanging back plinking away might be fun.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I have at least one of everything and now I'm getting to where I want two of most of the large ships to field all of my wacky ideas. Ugh.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

A friend of mine took a very similar list to a store championship right after S&V came out, and came in dead last. The only person he almost beat was me, with a 3x academy pilot 3x saber squadron mini swarm. What else you got?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Edit: Misunderstood the question, nothing to see here.

Reynold fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 16, 2015

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I was wondering about something similar actually, if I say I'm gonna for example do a barrel roll left, and it turns out I cannot complete the action, can I then go back and do something else, or do I have to first try to barrel roll right?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Just bought my ticket to the X-wing nationals at GenCon. Here's hoping I can manage to get off work for that Thursday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Its pretty contrary to his ability. Maybe if you already have Drea in your list, and want a higher PS y-wing? I can't see it being that great an idea.

• Locked thread