Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

JT Jag posted:

I'm curious as to what the rationale is for us "flipping the table" now, considering we've already started giving our report.

If we suddenly stopped mid-sentence to flip the table and pontificate about the Xenos, we'd look as insane as we actually are.

You know, you're right, and I think what I actually meant to vote for was Trust but verify, with ALL of the skepticism and wariness now armed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

poor life choice posted:

To throw gas on the wild-eyed bad opinion fire I think that Grey Knights avoid falling to Chaos by already being possessed by something. Whether that's the God-Emperor, some fledging Order warp god or just a particularly clean-cut Nurgle daemon, these guys are already occupied.

I changed my mind

:siren: PANIC :siren:

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Arkanomen posted:

I changed my mind

:siren: PANIC :siren:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
If the Grey Knights get possessed by something as part of their initiation, it's by something really, really low on our totem pole of concerns, because whatever possesses them is very clearly against all of the Ruinous Powers as we know them.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

JT Jag posted:

If the Grey Knights get possessed by something as part of their initiation, it's by something really, really low on our totem pole of concerns, because whatever possesses them is very clearly against all of the Ruinous Powers as we know them.

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Malal

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

... I stand by my statement.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

LowellDND posted:

A brave little theory. Keep it in mind later

:staredog:

Well. That's not ominous at all. Panic

Yeah, something's fishy with this whole warp planet thing. I'll go with Tranplan for now though.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

LowellDND posted:

A brave little theory. Keep it in mind later

If only we lived in such a universe....

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Arkanomen posted:

It's not a matter of this being an illusion, but rather a super intricate plot by our patron bird to slowly corrupt our principles and bring us into his fold. I mean what is our end goal? For me it's the dissolution of the current Imperium structure and reformation under the guiding hand of Athena, ourselves and Fabiyan to push back the internal corruption of man and the threat of hostile xeno incursion.

Even assuming this is our goal (since we are, at best, clinically insane, and at worst, a goon led hive mind), flipping the table, calling K and the Gray Knights poop-heads, and smashing things advances these goals not at all. Especially since the logical next step would be turning us into a mind-wiped drone.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

sullat posted:

Even assuming this is our goal (since we are, at best, clinically insane, and at worst, a goon led hive mind), flipping the table, calling K and the Gray Knights poop-heads, and smashing things advances these goals not at all. Especially since the logical next step would be turning us into a mind-wiped drone.
We aren't operating from a position of strength here, we're in the middle of a fortress full of people that can turn us into a wet smear in moments. Threatening them isn't prudent.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Wow, I'm sad that I even have to post this: No flipping any tables, and Tran Plan

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

tranplan
tran
waci
xun
sniper
holly
oasx
JT
paradigm
sheep

table flip
ark
slaan
thaum

Might do an errand first, but I'm working on the outline :D

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I thought it was the Exorcists that got possessed by demons and then poo poo them out for their initiation?
I think the Grey Knights just get inked, instead. Nano-scale purity seals or something, angstroms long pieces of parchment affixed to them by wax and nuclear forces. Probably hand woven by Jokerao.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
No bloody table flipping.

The rationale is literally "I don't like politics and I reject any reality in which we need to play politics," followed by vastly overestimating our power and leverage. You don't like politics? Hey, great, that's a valid opinion, it can be hard to follow at times. That doesn't mean that politics suddenly stops mattering just because you will it so.

Besides, we're a Rogue Trader right next to Holy loving Terra, center of government for the world's largest intergalactic empire. What the heck did you THINK was going to happen here if not politics, the Emperor himself rising from the Golden Throne to rest his hands on our shoulders and say "Ohone, the time has come for your faith, wisdom, and devotion to lead the Imperium as the new God-Empress, let none question your will!"?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Tomn posted:

No bloody table flipping.

The rationale is literally "I don't like politics and I reject any reality in which we need to play politics," followed by vastly overestimating our power and leverage. You don't like politics? Hey, great, that's a valid opinion, it can be hard to follow at times. That doesn't mean that politics suddenly stops mattering just because you will it so.

Besides, we're a Rogue Trader right next to Holy loving Terra, center of government for the world's largest intergalactic empire. What the heck did you THINK was going to happen here if not politics, the Emperor himself rising from the Golden Throne to rest his hands on our shoulders and say "Ohone, the time has come for your faith, wisdom, and devotion to lead the Imperium as the new God-Empress, let none question your will!"?

Uh, yeah kinda? He did bless our husband and resurrected us once!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Why are we responding to "we've sent an elite force of the most powerful warriors in the universe to search hell itself to find and rescue your sainted husbando" with "gently caress you" ?!

Do not flip a table for fucks sake

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Calling it now the tau is really a nuclear device and the table is sitting on the deadman switch

Flip the table

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Arkanomen posted:

Uh, yeah kinda? He did bless our husband and resurrected us once!

That's more evidence for Fabiyan being the true hero of the story than that Ohone is particularly respected by the Emperor.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I kind of expect everyone to stand up and clap if nothing else.

But why think small? You're a loving Rogue Trader and an Inquisitior and a Magos and herlad of an ancient diety, an individual of frankly absurd power treading the Warp before the very gates of Terra.
Act like it.

Announce yourself to the Galaxy.
"For twelve centuries, you have been asking: What is the Darkness? This is the Darkness speaking. I am the woman who loves her life. I am the woman who does not sacrifice her love or her values. I am the woman who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are perishing-you who dread knowledge-I am the woman who will now tell you."

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Tranplan

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

This is your End by Unter Null

Witness

Even as the relief of knowing of Fabiyan’s rescue eased your muscles, your mind began to itch, the old paranoia come back to you. Why would a tenth of the Grey Knights abandon other tasks, attempt to find him? There were many saints in the Imperium, all of them in danger. Why was he such a priority? And why did they send one hundred Knights? Ten would have done just as well.

Your relaxed face fell back into its familiar frown. That wasn’t the only anomaly, now that you thought of it. A xeno, in what was probably the second most secure place in the Imperium? One where even some Grey Knights weren’t allowed to go? And Kozilek, that known xenophobe fanatic, amiable in his hatred. You felt it in your bones - something was wrong. Best to play for time.

“Why me, though? I’m probably a tenth of any of your experience.”
Kozilek nodded. “If you are asking why you were made Inquisitor - you are among the very few who survive the sifting. That you were on the Beast was an added bonus.”
“Were there other agents? Aside from Limosa, of course.”
He shrugged. “We try a handful every generation, but your previous Lord-Sire was rather good at getting them killed. It’s unclear if he knew what they were, or just had his own sorting process looking for heirs.”
“I see. But why this level of support for an Inquisitor? There are probably a million of us, and just as many saints.”
Kozilek quirked into a smile. “Not that many, I daren’t say. But yes, your quick success has marked you as a priority. Who else in all the Imperium has your record?”

You grimaced. “You aren’t the only ones. Your telepath saw it, I assume.”
The Grand Master nodded. “He did. You’ve been Marked.”
“You didn’t burn it from my brain right then?”
“Consider it a test. Whether you knew about it, whether you chose to tried to hide it.”
“I want it removed, of course.”
Kozilek nodded approvingly, even as some of the other faces looked like they lost a bet.
“We can begin the purification rituals after this meeting. A quick removal like the one you are picturing would be … messy. Slow and sure is better, when we want to keep an asset.”
Dryly: “It’s good to be appreciated.”
Quiet chuckles. You thought of something. “Grand Master, you said you were investigating the pylons.”
“Certainly.”
“My initial investigations of the STC suggested an alternate method of faster-than-light. Avoiding the warp.”
Surprisingly, it was the Tau who responded fastest, before quickly devolving into technical details. “How? What are the specifications? Materials needed?”
You ignored her. “When we recover the STC, the Imperium should begin investigating those questions.” A quiet laugh. “Oh, I have also found myself with a survivor of the Great Crusade. She has knowledge of wraithbone crafting.”
Kozilek shook his head, even as the other people began arguing with each other about what possibilities this opened up. “Only you, Ohone. Only you.”
A strong voice cut through the babble, dominating it in a way that even the Grand Master hadn’t. “And that is why we approved her into our ranks, is it not?”

You turned, felt yourself looking up at the familiar face of Athena.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

OK, NOW we flip the table.

not an actual vote

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

I'd love to know at which stage between 'Grey Knights with Thunderhammers ruining her probes' and now Athena decided to start working with the Inquisition

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003

LowellDND posted:

What

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

They are totes in on our heresy I guess

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

flip the table! Actually get mad at Athena-Sempai I THOGUHT I WAS SPESHAL

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Go for a somewhat confused hug. Be tsundere about it.

Waci fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 16, 2015

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
I'm gonna' disagree. Try to suppress the any sign of recognition until someone explains what the hell is going on.

For all we know this isn't even Athena. We're in the warp and have serious issues with visual hallucinations.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Witness me Bloodbag!

Now that you had time to focus on her, you noticed a few small differences. Age around the eyes, old spidery scars. And she wasn’t wearing the old uniform with eight circles - instead, it was a bland thing that would have been familiar on any Imperial World. As she came close, everyone stood up, and you were quick to follow. The Grand Master nodded. “Welcome back, Athena. It’s been too long.” They hugged briefly, his massive form towering over her.

Athena glanced over at you. Her eyes… were deep. Terrifying, as if you could see the spin of the galaxy within them. A storm in almost human form. She moved to shake your hand, and you accepted gingerly. “My name is Athena. I founded this place.” You blinked, but played along. If she wanted to pretend it was your first meeting, you would go with it.

“I thought Malcador did, and the Grey Knights?”
She did an odd sort of smile. “Malcador and I were … close. A lot of our ideas came from both of us.”
“So… are you some sort of immortal? Like a Space Marine?”
She frowned, then. “No. I am a xeno, the last of my kind. The Great Enemy destroyed my species, and I swore to fight them to my death.”
“When was this?”
“Before your Imperium. Hundreds of centuries ago.”
You gestured. “So what… is all this?”
“The Grey Knights are the most secret chapter, not least because they fight the Great Enemy and work with the Inquisition, but they also work with xenos. As you can see with our Tau friend here.” Kozilek stirred, but said nothing.
“And Malcador was for this?”
“He was. He was always more … practical, in some ways, then the pure ideologies of your God-Emperor. In order to fight the Great Enemy, he formed an elite organization to work within the one I had established.”
“Is there a name for this mysterious organization?”
“The Cabal.”

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Uh

Um...

Wait and see what happens
:magical:

Edit: oh, more update!

...still confused

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

plan athena harem

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Are we sure this is our Athena? Could this be someone that just looks like her (or she like them) just to make it more confusing?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Oh Goddammit. The Cabal? These guys are Eldar on steroids when it comes to information.

Good choice, Lowell. :)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Oh Goddammit. The Cabal? These guys are Eldar on steroids when it comes to information.

Good choice, Lowell. :)

:D

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
I think this is our Athena, covering for the AI thing with lies about xenos. Witness her, I guess?

Fine, since people are doubting whether this is our AI waifu: say hi to her in subsonic binary.

Waci fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 16, 2015

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

NOPE! CALL IN DISCO BOT! ABORT! ABORT!

This all has to be drawn from our own mind or is a trap or is something bullshitty. Trust your paranioa, flip the table, summon Discobot and call for evac!

e: vVvVvV Lucy we're hooOOOoommme

Arkanomen fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 16, 2015

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

LowellDND posted:

Hail Satan Lucifer.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I think its a different Athena? A copy, maybe even incomplete?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ask this Athena if she did any work with the Mars Federation during the DAoT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
This is a part of Athena that has been awake for the last 15,000 years, separated from the ship and is now a separate being from the Athena we know.