Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Spoiler: clean your loving room my god

Edit: After actually reading the OP for the old characters, is Shadow Naoto now better than normal Naoto? I can see how the damage nerf would be negligible on a character who can combo into instant kills, but either way in P4Arena I didn't like Naoto much anyway. I'm excited to try some of the new guys and from what I hear Yu and Chie are just good all rounders now.

Denpa's the person to watch for Shadow Naoto, and she definitely seems like the better version. Her new move that poisons you is a pretty good combo filler and surprisingly common starter, and the poison doesn't seem to be scaled down in damage like the rest of her moves (kind of makes sense since it's a status effect). Overall Shadow Naoto seems almost the same as P4A Naoto in terms of being able to do TOD combos, but it's not just Hamaon, the raw damage output is also pretty off the charts. The only other shadow characters that can do similarly crazy combos are Shadow Mitsuru and Chie AFAIK, the rest being less useful/easier to burst out/etc.

Watching a bit of this video with Denpa, it seems the character still suffers from the same problems as before: she just gets mauled by characters with better rushdown and normals. She got some buffs that help her out in that department though, so if you have good defense you're pretty much guaranteed to get 100 meter twice in a match to threaten them with a TOD combo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbCSFgsWTlg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apple
May 18, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUkUSzL2pTE&t=484s

Shadow mode Labrys has unblockable setups :stare:

Red axe brutal impact should be 4.8k if it's anything like P4A

apple
May 18, 2003

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah I keep hearing everywhere that they're universally considered not good for the most part, but also one hit kill combos that are as long as Litchi combos from the second BB don't look fun either

TBF, the whole point is that you need to get full meter first. You won't be stuck in a shadow burst TOD combo unless you mess up enough times so they can build meter with low damage combos. If you do well against a shadow character they'll still get meter, but only when they're down 1 round and haven't done anything yet.

Honestly I wasn't sold on shadow characters but they seem like they're going to have a meaningful impact on how you play matchups compared to their non-shadow counterparts. It should spice things up even if only a few shadow characters are actually good. From what I've heard Kanji, Mitsuru, Chie, Naoto and Narukami are all good shadow characters, and there's Labrys that can set up unblockables (though she's still bad).

apple
May 18, 2003

double post, oops

apple
May 18, 2003

S-Alpha posted:

I'm actually curious where you heard that, because what I've picked up is that S.Kanji is kinda regarded as a joke character. Regular Kanji is already pretty bad (second/third worst last I heard) after taking a bunch of nerfs to the back of the head, and the ability to convert random hits into 5.5k doesn't really strike me as being worth losing so much offensive and defensive flexibility.

(Seriously, I haven't heard a single good word said except for in this thread, I want to know what you know.)

He definitely doesn't seem like a joke character, at worst he's just the "weakest" of the viable shadow characters currently. It's always nice for a grappler character to have a "pause button" to confirm into command grabs, and Kanji's pretty good at doing hard to burst/unburstable combos, he just tends to require OMB or awakening to set it up right. Shadow Kanji can still hit like a truck with FC starters, and if he has shadow burst he can add around 3.2k at the end of his combos (SB Chair>Chair>OMC>SB 720). It sounds par for the course for shadow characters but if you're starting combos with ground or anti-air command grabs, having the option to add a huge chunk of damage off of those is pretty neat.

You can't underestimate the health boost shadow characters get either, Kanji's base health is already massive, that extra 2000 hp on top of it is always gonna be there to help you tank hits (where normally another shadow character would just skip over your awakening threshold with a combo).

apple
May 18, 2003

S-Alpha posted:

All of those are good points (though the pause button at neutral isn't a thing anymore, but there's a lot to be said about losing the fear of high burst damage from a command throw, as well his general throw game getting way weaker thanks to the loss of throw invuln on them too. It just seems a bit much. I dunno, maybe I shouldn't worry so much about the top player reactions.

His C throw lost invul, but his SB version had invul added in

Just try him out once you get the game :v:

apple
May 18, 2003

Speaking of Rise, her rhythm game super is hilariously lenient

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0rWgiIjjRU

Astral Heats/Instant Kills are one thing, but I never thought I'd see a normal super take more time than SF4 ultras :regd09:

apple
May 18, 2003

Speaking of Adachi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npW4LB3Anys

He has unblockable resets

They hurt

apple
May 18, 2003

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

How burst safe is it? It would suck to spend 75 meter and give up the corner just to have them burst at the first available opportunity. That's sort of the problem with Shadow Rise's shenanigan of blockstring -> Shadow Rampage -> stuff into SB Arrow Rain into stuff into DDR super to force the unblockable, too. Shadow Rise gives up a lot more for less reward there if bursted, though.

The second combo in the video is pretty clearly burst-safe: you're either silenced, in a grab (doesn't let you burst), or too far to hit Adachi with the burst. All these combos silence you through most of their duration anyway, so bursting is still extremely risky since there's only a small window where you CAN actually try to burst.

apple
May 18, 2003

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Here's another new Adachi combo video with more of his unblockable reset tech taken to the limit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQbA2OG2M58

The fact it requires him to cast one of his awakening supers at some point in the match (or combo into it) seems fine.. more situational than what shadow characters do. I'm more worried about how his neutral game will work, supposedly his j.C is cheap as hell but I haven't been playing too often, ranked is a little boring without the US release's flood of players. :getin:

apple
May 18, 2003

Her SB Garudyne is apparently pretty ridiculous, specially during awakening, so there's that. I don't know if that changes much though, her pressure with her persona attacks only got ever so slightly better when it needed to be buffed significantly..

Antillese posted:

It will be an honor to get blown up by you if we ever get matched. Don't worry. We won't. I think I peaked at 32% and a C rank!

Really looking forward to learning the new game. As a intermediate online player who played Labrys and sometimes Elizabeth, it may as well be a whole new game since I've got to pick a new main!

Haha, don't sweat it, we can do player lobbies if you want to play. Plus, I started out with maybe a 30% win rate when I started learning the game as well :smith:

apple
May 18, 2003

DarkstarIV posted:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention: There is no online lobby/arcade feature in the 360 version of Ultimax, according to Atlus USA's website.

http://www.atlus.com/p4au/mode/lobby.html (read the text below the third bullet point)

I just want better netplay from the xbox version, not like I'd play on arcade mode lobby often but I'm sure this will turn people off :sigh:

apple
May 18, 2003

Excels posted:

get a ps3 and leave that thing behind.

seriously you just paid $60 for a game with like, half the filesize and pay-to-play online

TBF I was planning on getting the 360 version soon just for better netplay, but that's literally the only reason to get the 360 one (at least that was the case for P4U).

apple
May 18, 2003

Excels posted:

Don't do this. The 360 version is gimped. I've been playing online with PS3 nonstop since yesterday and honestly only two or three matches out of ten had any lag. When the lag is there, it's usually a Japanese player with 0 bars. Player avatars show their connection strength, so you can choose not to face people who are like Zero or One bar.

2 bars and up seems fine to me.

I have the PS3 version already and I know 360 has some cut content, I'm just willing to buy another copy if I can get slightly better netplay. v:shobon:v

apple
May 18, 2003

Beef Waifu posted:

You can't OMC any of the DPs I'm pretty sure.

To add to this: depending on the character you can cancel their DP on block into a super, and these may or may not be able to be OMC'd. Expensive but definitely worthwhile if you need to get out of a bad spot.

apple
May 18, 2003

Sonata Mused posted:

2.0 changes are starting to come out. Seems like only buffs right now.

Oh there are nerfs alright, ArcSys just loves to do those super optimistic buff only demo vids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apple
May 18, 2003

Batigh posted:

Apple, are you going? Please tell us you're going!

Yeah I'm going to evo, though I'm kind of iffy on taking P4AU 1.1 seriously, 2.0 just looks way more interesting.

• Locked thread