Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Europa is the second best solar system object after Erf tbh.

Callisto is number 1.

Fact: Huge water deposits sitting on the surface
Fact: Protected by Jupiter but the only big moon not in Jupiter's radiation belt
Fact: Closest moon to the Jupiter trojans which are the future of mankind
Fact: Mineral deposits sitting on the surface of the planet
Fact: Coolest moon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

ppl think that we are running out of rare earth minerals but when that actually becomes a problem that will be solved by exoplanet mining

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

While Europa is hella cool, it's no where to make a home. Same for Titan.

Whereas Callisto has everything we need.

No iron dust like Mars either.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i want to be that guy in contact dying of cancer and make up some aliens to push humanity into actually trying at interplanetary colonization

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Al Borland posted:

I hear mars is filled with giant cockroach people.

Quit readin' animes

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

THS posted:

i want to be that guy in contact dying of cancer and make up some aliens to push humanity into actually trying at interplanetary colonization

lol if you don't know the aliens are already here and divvying us up like cattle

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

hemophilia posted:

lol if you don't know the aliens are already here and divvying us up like cattle

i have personally made aesir friends.. asgardian friends... not all aliens are evil and dont think that the reptilians are the only ones around

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

hemophilia posted:

What if humans ARE the aliens and Neanderthals were the real people?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

redshirt posted:

What if humans ARE the aliens and Neanderthals were the real people?

neanderthals were merged with alien DNA to create homo sapiens and die-off happened naturally as they bred out.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko9m2IhD4xc

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

hemophilia posted:

neanderthals were merged with alien DNA to create homo sapiens and die-off happened naturally as they bred out.

hosed up but true.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0laE_dSxNo

Yeah, suck it, nerds. Alex Jones V will live on a Mars base for 500 years if we just stopped screwing around.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

redshirt posted:

hosed up but true.

Hey, we didnt just outfuck neanderthals

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

The General posted:

gently caress you, Mars owns. :colbert:

Edit: Mercury sucks.
oh gently caress you

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

redshirt posted:

Callisto is number 1.

Fact: Protected by Jupiter but the only big moon not in Jupiter's radiation belt

good analysis imo

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

good analysis imo

Thanks! I imagine a fuel depot on Callisto to support the orbital mining colonies in the Trojan belt.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Kelfeftaf posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0laE_dSxNo

Yeah, suck it, nerds. Alex Jones V will live on a Mars base for 500 years if we just stopped screwing around.

greatgreatgreatgreat grandchildren

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

greatgreatgreatgreatgreat

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

redshirt posted:

Callisto is number 1.

it looks like that time i tried to grow :shroom: inside of a sealed plastic bag filled with substrate and injected with spores.

that was about as far as i got unfortunately

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mariana Horchata posted:

it looks like that time i tried to grow :shroom: inside of a sealed plastic bag filled with substrate and injected with spores.

All those white splotches are water ice.

Also, unlike the solar system's biggest Moon, Ganymede, Callisto is undifferentiated, meaning there are mineral deposits in huge concentrations close to the surface.

And consider radiation. A mars colony would have to be underground or heavily shielded due to solar radiation. A colony on Callisto, however, would need only minimal shielding as it sits in a sweet spot between solar and Jovian radiation.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Wouldn't Mars be unlivable even if we terraformed that poo poo because it has two dumb little weak rear end bitch moons that can't stabilize the axial tilt or generate any tidal forces worth a gently caress?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bolow posted:

Wouldn't Mars be unlivable even if we terraformed that poo poo because it has two dumb little weak rear end bitch moons that can't stabilize the axial tilt or generate any tidal forces worth a gently caress?

No. If we were able to terraform Mars (big loving if), the atmosphere would persist for any measure of human time. It would take millions and millions of years to burn off a new Martian atmosphere.

And one would assume a society able to terraform Mars would be able to continually add to the atmosphere.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

THS posted:

its ok were making up for it by creating a great greenhouse effect on earth and dooming the planet :)

Um, no. Even if we greenhouse this into a copy of Venus, the planet will still be fine. We'll be dead and so will all our favorite lifeforms, the planet will just keep on keepin on.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
trees love green houses

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

THS posted:

with enough nuclear energy you could establish a mars base if you did it on the north pole and tunneled into the water reserves w/ current technology

Seems like a lot of effort for a lovely cramped base that would make the old south pole base look luxurious.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Angela Christine posted:

Um, no. Even if we greenhouse this into a copy of Venus, the planet will still be fine. We'll be dead and so will all our favorite lifeforms, the planet will just keep on keepin on.

The only true ways to destroy Earth, I figure, is:

1. Drag Mars into a collision course with Earth
2. Mine every continental divide with nukes and attempt to blast the Earth from the inside.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Fact: Mars is not an orbital space colony.

the reasons just keep stacking up

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

redshirt posted:

While Europa is hella cool, it's no where to make a home. Same for Titan.

Whereas Callisto has everything we need.

No iron dust like Mars either.

callisto is more usable as a future home for humanity but titan is still a cooler place overall. wanna sail on those lakes.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cubey posted:

callisto is more usable as a future home for humanity but titan is still a cooler place overall. wanna sail on those lakes.

Agreed. Titan is a magic world and we should spend most of our exploration budget studying it. Boats on Titan lakes, and balloons floating in Titan skis.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Mariana Horchata posted:

You see all those craters? They're there because Callisto is geologically dead. And if you're geologically dead then it ain't poo poo.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DoctorStrangelove posted:

You see all those craters? They're there because Callisto is geologically dead. And if you're geologically dead then it ain't poo poo.

WTF? Geologically dead is great for mining purposes.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

redshirt posted:

Agreed. Titan is a magic world and we should spend most of our exploration budget studying it. Boats on Titan lakes, and balloons floating in Titan skis.

iirc i read that due to titan's low gravity and relatively thickatmosphere, a person could just strap on wings to their arms and fly around. titan owns bones.

also it'd be cool as gently caress to pilot a submarine in those lakes, though submarines are cool no matter where they are so w/e.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Europa owns

they made a documentary on it called Europa Report. its about the manned mission to europa a couple years back to see if it has like bacteria life. neil degas tysone is in it and says how great it is and has ice.

check it out if you like space and documentaries

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cubey posted:

iirc i read that due to titan's low gravity and relatively thickatmosphere, a person could just strap on wings to their arms and fly around. titan owns bones.

also it'd be cool as gently caress to pilot a submarine in those lakes, though submarines are cool no matter where they are so w/e.

I think so - but with the radiation from Saturn you'd die pretty quick.

Titan is like an alternate Earth. It's so cold that water ice acts exactly like rock on Earth - there are ice mountains and ice valleys and ice hills and all manner of ice geology. But methane acts like water on Earth so there's clouds and humidity and rain and rivers and lakes and oceans. So cool.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Xaris posted:

Europa owns

they made a documentary on it called Europa Report. its about the manned mission to europa a couple years back to see if it has like bacteria life. neil degas tysone is in it and says how great it is and has ice.

check it out if you like space and documentaries

Europa is a poor candidate for current technology exploration, as its 10-15 mile thick ice shell would likely prohibit any direct science.

Hitler420
Jun 11, 2014

by Ralp
Mars is great

for me to poop on

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

redshirt posted:

Europa is a poor candidate for current technology exploration, as its 10-15 mile thick ice shell would likely prohibit any direct science.

agree, enceladus is a better idea if we want to explore underground oceans that might harbor life.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

THS posted:

fast breeder reactors

women, amirite? :rolleyes:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cubey posted:

agree, enceladus is a better idea if we want to explore underground oceans that might harbor life.

Agreed, drilling into a "tiger stripe" would be exponentially easier then trying to crack the surface of Europa. But I doubt this will happen, ever, due to fear of unpredicted consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

redshirt posted:

sounds like my mother in law

• Locked thread