Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Venusian Weasel posted:

Don't lobbyshame, you don't know my situation. Giant art nouveau cloud cities aren't cheap you know

If you had to pick one planet or moon for a space colony, which would it be?

Callisto, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

redshirt posted:

If you had to pick one planet or moon for a space colony, which would it be?

Callisto, right?

I can't build opulent cloud cities masking an undercurrent of brutality and hypocrisy there.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

redshirt posted:

Ganymede is bathed in Jovian radiation, and is differentiated, meaning getting water and minerals is significantly more difficult than on friendly Callisto.

Callisto is great and all but Ganymede has a magnetosphere and we could tunnel into it and make pressurized habitats under the surface to shield us from what the magnetosphere doesn't.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Wooten posted:

Callisto is great and all but Ganymede has a magnetosphere and we could tunnel into it and make pressurized habitats under the surface to shield us from what the magnetosphere doesn't.

have fun being a horrible moleperson while venusian weasel and i chill in our badass cloud city

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

End Of Worlds posted:

have fun being a horrible moleperson while venusian weasel and i chill in our badass cloud city

You'll get about two earth days of chillin' before the giant cloud-mantas latch onto your city and drag it into the deathfog.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Nation posted:

is anything rare in an infinite universe?

your mothers dignity

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

You'll get about two earth days of chillin' before the giant cloud-mantas latch onto your city and drag it into the deathfog.

Exactly.

And what would one do anyways in a floating cloud city? Not like you're going down to the Venusian surface.

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

redshirt posted:

Exactly.

And what would one do anyways in a floating cloud city? Not like you're going down to the Venusian surface.

Same thing they would do here. Sit on their rear end staring at their computer, eating cheetos. Only there they would be space cheetos.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Phlairdon posted:

Same thing they would do here. Sit on their rear end staring at their computer, eating cheetos. Only there they would be space cheetos.

That's why tunneling deep below the ground makes so much more sense, from a Goon perspective.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Phlairdon posted:

Earth is always going to have the best multiplayer servers though, why would goons ever leave?

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Space Mining colony would honestly be cooler than living on some stupid rock that's constantly trying to kill me. Having a real job other than space farmer seems like a good time.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Do robots care about radiation?

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

redshirt posted:

Exactly.

Run a resort town in the style of a bastardized version of Americana, where tourists can buy all sorts of touristy knickknacks like polished rocks and beer steins for a hefty markup.

Then use the money to build on a basement module I never have to leave again so I can sit and watch esports and eat cheetos all day

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Mycroft Holmes posted:

your mothers dignity

planetary objects are very dignified...hmmm

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

venus sky base can be run by the cult of venus which is an extremely misogynistic sex cult

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Titan Sky Fortress would work way better, and sounds more metal.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Do robots care about radiation?

It can corrupt their memory and make them roboschizophrenic. Also their robot bones can be embrittled

redshirt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

End Of Worlds posted:

I hope you mean the future fantasy dwarves we've written about for so long except they're space dwarves

Also it's incredibly badass that Jupiter just gives off enough radiation to kill people

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

redshirt posted:

With all those organics floating around it'd probably smell like poo poo and everyone would give it a nickname like Bowels Moving Castle or something like that.

Badass idea, though. Just a heads up.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Hey, what if, like we just terraformed it? Hasn't anyone thought of that before?

It's such an easy solution, someone should pay me for it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Venusian Weasel posted:

With all those organics floating around it'd probably smell like poo poo and everyone would give it a nickname like Bowels Moving Castle or something like that.

Badass idea, though. Just a heads up.

What are you opening a window for?!

I now question whether you're capable of running a floating space city.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

It'll sneak in through your airlocks and get dragged in with your space boots. You'll need some industrial grade air fresheners to keep your fortress smelling nice and fresh.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I hope you mean the future fantasy dwarves we've written about for so long except they're space dwarves

Also it's incredibly badass that Jupiter just gives off enough radiation to kill people

Moon rem/day
Io 3600[81]
Europa 540[79]
Ganymede 8[79]
Callisto 0.01[79]
Earth 0.07

reminder that the radiation is so bad it can kill our probes if we gently caress up the orbits

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

Moon rem/day
Io 3600[81]
Europa 540[79]
Ganymede 8[79]
Callisto 0.01[79]
Earth 0.07

reminder that the radiation is so bad it can kill our probes if we gently caress up the orbits

Look at Callisto!

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

redshirt posted:

Look at Callisto!

It's still not shielded from cosmic rays as much as an underground base on Ganymede.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland posted:

I hear mars is filled with giant cockroach people.

wrong bitch!!!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Wooten posted:

It's still not shielded from cosmic rays as much as an underground base on Ganymede.

And an underground base on Callisto is even better.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I actually live in a 30 meter thick lead sphere to protect myself from radiation at all times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

olympus loving mons

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I actually live in a 30 meter thick lead sphere to protect myself from radiation at all times

Same but I eat it too

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
I'm going to run a space pirate bar attached to an asteroid, gently caress yo couch

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
so i just realized this was a parody of a mac thread which was already a parody of posting

congrats OP

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

Alan Smithee posted:

so i just realized this was a parody of a mac thread which was already a parody of posting

congrats OP

Brilliant Holmes *slow clap*

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

ikanreed posted:

Hey, what if, like we just terraformed it? Hasn't anyone thought of that before?

It's such an easy solution, someone should pay me for it.

Reach deep into my pants and take my money

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Phlairdon posted:

Mercury is a bitch of a planet as well, sticking close to the Sun like that for protection. If it were any closer to any of the gas giants, it'd be considered a moon.

Pluto's pretty cool, out there on the edge not caring what any of the other planets are doing. Pluto's the goon planet of the solar system.
Goon Pluto would complain about being moved from the 'regular planet' ladder to the 'dwarf planet' ladder.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

goon planets are anything but dwarfs

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
goon planets are :gas: giants

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
the new wolfenstein game is going to release an expansion where you kill nazis on a Venus cloud base.

that's the kind of future I can get begun

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Lichy posted:

goon planets are :gas: giants

fatties full of farts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

de_dust posted:

the new wolfenstein game is going to release an expansion where you kill nazis on a Venus cloud base.

that's the kind of future I can get begun

A future with more Nazis? What is wrong with you?

• Locked thread