Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should win the Gamer's Choice award?
This poll is closed.
Spiritual Seth 0 0%
Take Two Treehouse 2 2.35%
Public Access TV: Superstar 6 7.06%
The Rage of Painting 0 0%
Jeremy's Dance Magic 11 12.94%
You Have To Do Everything 5 5.88%
#YesCallMen 33 38.82%
Kooking With Krugg 3 3.53%
Night Vision TV 8 9.41%
Hypnovision 4 4.71%
Public Access Wars 3 3.53%
Sink 5 5.88%
2:22 AM 3 3.53%
Public Axes 1 1.18%
Wizard Broadcast Special 1 1.18%
Total: 85 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
The main part of SA GameDev 9 has completed, the games are made and judged, but now... we need YOU to play them!

What is this?

Every year, we run a month-long game dev competition, where developers make games from scratch to a particular theme. This year's theme was Public Access TV, and that resulted in some... weird... entries. Awesome! But weird. Now we serve that weirdness up to you, and your fickle tastes, and we ask only that you pick your favorite. Easy, right?

:siren: To See The Full Grid Of Entries Go Here :siren:

What do I do?

The games up there in the poll are the ones that were judged to be the cream of the crop. All you need to do is play those, and pick your favorite. We'd be SUPER appreciative if you also left some feedback for the developers in the thread, but beyond that, just, have fun!

How do I play this online game?

Public Access Wars requires other players, so organize groups in here. If you want to play it and no one is around, post in here, and maybe one of the developers will hop on to play with you!

If Night Vision TV isn't working for you, post in here. It's Twitter-driven, and there's lag on the commands, but it's also been tricky for some people. It is VERY worth fiddling with, though - super unique concept.

How were these games picked?

The full list of games was quite large, 40 to be exact, and the entries were judged on the following metrics:

Visuals (10 points) - How attractive is your game? Is it pleasant to look at, or does it make eyeballs bleed (in a bad way)?
Audio (10 points) - Does the game's sound pull you into the game? Is it whatever the game feels like it needs?
Fun (20 points) - Is the game entertaining/engaging? Does it draw players in, and make them want to complete the game?
Polish (10 points) - Is the game well put-together? Is it stable, and juicy? Does it feel "complete"?
Innovation (10 points) - Is it a generic corridor shooter/platformer/whatever, or does it really try to do something original with the theme?
Theme Adherence (30 points) - Does this feel like a game that makes good use of the theme? Or does it feel like the theming was sticky-taped on top of a game made for another purpose?
Story (10 points) - Does the game tell the story it sets out to tell? Is it well-executed/engaging?

... we then skimmed the top judged results off, and that's what populates the voting for Gamer's Choice! Please, DO try the other games though - many in there are quite good, they just didn't quite make the Gamer's Choice cutoff.

What were the full judged results?

The final judged scores looked like this:

#YesCallMen 88
Sink 86
Public Access TV: Superstar 80
You Have To Do Everything 80
Kooking With Krugg 79
Take Two Treehouse 79
Night Vision TV 79
Hypnovision 78
.2:22 AM 76
Public Axes 76
Jeremy's Dance Magic 75
Spiritual Seth 75
Public Access Wars 74
The Rage of Painting 73
Probing Nature 72
TV Tycoon 70
Spook Manor 70
Monday Afternoon Quizzlers 68
Wizard Broadcast Special 65
Public Access News 61
The Angry Atheist Gamer 54
Let's Be Heroes 53
Dog Time 53
Turtle Derby 53
Grublands 52
Bob Ross's Puzzle Painter 51
CulTV: Fhtagn with Mr. Cthulhu 51
SWAT: Freedom of Breach 50
Dinosaur P.I. 49
The Contract 48
The Game Knight 47
Breakfast with Agatha 46
555-Skeleton 43
Public Assets 43
Ham Strife 37
Anime Club Text Quest 32
Lovely Day for a Parade 25
I Don't Care Anymore 18
Tubulargame 9
Assault on PA13 0

What's the point of Gamer's Choice?

The game you pick ends up winning a bunch of prizes (seen below), and also gets mega super bragging points. So pick well!

Known Prizes:

• Stencyl Studio License (x2)
  • Unity 3D Pro License (x1)
  • $100 for the first place winner and $50 for Gamer's Choice, and possible runner up prizes if it's a close call (AG3)
  • $30 worth of steam game of winners choice for the best/most humourous use of Jebediah Kerman from Kerbal Space Program (Innerguard)
  • A copy of Door Kickers on Steam for anyone who makes a public access FMV game remake of the original Police Quest SWAT. Yeah, SWAT 1. With the gun-toting grandma hiding in the yard. (Leif.)
  • $200 #SAGameDev prize (poemdexter, details below)
  • 20+ Steam game keys (Ulta, details below)
  • Show Us Your Privates: I've learned a ton by reading other people's code, let us see yours! Game that releases source code showing off the most novel or useful technique, under a BSD/Apache license. Will want help from actual gamefolk to determine what's really useful. (Subjunctive)
  • Unfunny Web Joke: lots of games are delivered over the web, but most don't use the web. Pull in YouTube content, have quests to get Twitter retweets, some FB integration that doesn't make me angry, generate levels from web page structure, mash up some Wikipedia stuff; most of the Internet is public-access quality, mine that gold! Best per judges' rankings, is-that-webby-enough at my unimpeachable discretion. (Subjunctive)
  • Go Big or Go Home: best game (per judges' rankings) that's backed by a :toxx: before July 1. (Subjunctive)
  • Ridiculously huge texture collection on a DVD to the best entry from a newcomer that uses some form of 3D. 2.81gb of all sorts of textures, mostly with diffuse/normal/spec/height etc maps. (Enos Shenk)
  • You Tried and Spectacularly Failed: I will give 1000 dogecoins to the person in last place who actually finishes a game. (Jo)
  • I Can Make It On My Own - $25 to the best (as determined by judges) game made completely solo. This means you didn't get anyone else to make stuff for you during the competition. You can still have used other free assets or whatever from other places, but nobody doing anything for the competition specifically. (sighnoceros)
  • Lost in Translation - $25 to a completed game made by a team that clearly did not understand the theme (as chosen by me, but likely a game with a very low Theme Adherence score). (sighnoceros)
  • Kid's Gonna Be a Star - $25 to a game of my choice from a novice game dev that shows a lot of promise. (sighnoceros)
  • Judge Dread - $25 to a game of my choice that I feel deserved a better score than it got. (sighnoceros)
  • Diamond in the Rough - $25 to a game of my choice that I like despite poor audio-visual presentation. (sighnoceros)
  • Polished Turd - $25 to a game of my choice that I didn't like but looks GRRRRRRREEAT! (sighnoceros)
  • A steam copy of Space Hulk for the best representation of Weird Al in UHF (in the spirit of Public TV and all) (ClownSyndrome)
  • A steam copy of Thomas was alone for a game that features the best use of the flying stone head from Zardoz (ClownSyndrome)

Ulta posted:

So I to clarify, half of the the games I have offered to will go to the best Twine game (as determined by the judges). The winner will get to chose what games they want. Then the best game made by someone who has not made a game before (as determined by the judges) will get the half of the rest. The second place game made by someone who has not made a game before (as determined by the judges) will get the remaining games. In the event that no one makes a Twine game, then the pool transfers to the no game before winnings. If for some reason, neither of these conditions are met, I'll just post the codes in the thread and hang my head in shame.

Ulta posted:

Ok I have a TON of unused Steam keys from various bundles. If it's cool I'd like to offer up the following as prizes.

Solar 2
Nightsky
Dungeon Defenders
Frozen Synapse
Anodyne
Incredipede
The Bard's Tale
Organ Trail
Broken Sword
Anomaly Korea
Awesomenauts
Wanderlust: Rebirth
Little Inferno
Hotline Miami
Tiny and Big in Grandpa's Leftovers
BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien
Reus
Dead Space
To the Moon
Atom Zombie Smasher
Gratuitous Space Battles

Maybe split these up a bit, but I would like to offer a prize for a Twine game and maybe something for "Best First Game"

poemdexter posted:

Along with throwing my hat in to judge, I mentioned that I would be hosting a #SAGameDev Choice award. One winner will get $200 from yours truly as a way to spread some of the indie wealth around after Western Complete FPS did so well during the Unity sale.

Voting will be allowed by anyone NOT with an entry and also hanging out in the #SAGameDev channel on synirc. That means if you hit the wall of shame, you can still participate by showering some lucky team in dollar bills! Voting will occur during the judging phase of SAGDC.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

Shalinor posted:

How do I play this online game?

Public Access Wars requires other players, so organize groups in here. If you want to play it and no one is around, post in here, and maybe one of the developers will hop on to play with you!

Yeah I'm very happy to set up some playtimes. What works best for people? I'm British so sometime between 21:00-24:00GMT (I think that's 17:00-20:00 EST) would probably be best for me. Let me know and we'll get it set up! Otherwise just post when you feel like playing and if I'm available I'll get people to hop on.

I know it's annoying to have to arrange a time to play it but do try it out - it's a lot of fun (check out a video of it being played here) - Download it here.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Heisenberg1276 posted:

I know it's annoying to have to arrange a time to play it but do try it out - it's a lot of fun

Public Access Wars is pretty cool and well worth trying out.

I had to sing a bunch for Dance Magic so enjoy my velvety auto-tuned tones.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
The Rage of Painting sounded the most interesting, but it's a .jar, which I assume means it wants a Java runtime, which I no longer have because I became enraged one time when it kept having updates and, each time, trying to install bullshitware with a pre-checked "yes I totally want this crap this time even though I've unchecked it for every other goddamn update you fuckers release every few hours" checkbox.

(So that's positive and negative feedback; yay good description, boo using java.)

I played "You Have To Do Everything", which felt like Dragon's Lair only much easier. Enjoyed the insane ranting at least. Bit weird that the end/victory screen says "press any key" but doesn't respond when you press a key. I suppose it doesn't say it will do anything, maybe it's just fun to press keys.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

If anyone wants to play around with the in game cheats for Public Access Superstar just let me know in the thread. I'll post the list.

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 12, 2014

thehoax
Feb 23, 2011

Well, then.

roomforthetuna posted:

I played "You Have To Do Everything", which felt like Dragon's Lair only much easier. Enjoyed the insane ranting at least. Bit weird that the end/victory screen says "press any key" but doesn't respond when you press a key. I suppose it doesn't say it will do anything, maybe it's just fun to press keys.

Well that is weird. I'm pretty sure I tested all that and it should be working. You didn't miss much, though - it's just credits after that.
Which OS and browser are you running?

Oh and thanks for playing my dumb little game :3:

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

thehoax posted:

Well that is weird. I'm pretty sure I tested all that and it should be working. You didn't miss much, though - it's just credits after that.
Which OS and browser are you running?
Windows 7, Chrome 37.0.2062.120 m.

I might have done something with changing the focus away and back too, but I clicked in the canvas and pressed a key again too just in case. Sorry, I should've checked the console to see if there was an error. Didn't think of it / thought the end screen might just be the point where you stopped making the game.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Oh god does #YesCallMen ever end? I was expecting the exponential increasing number to go to "a planet worth" and end the game but (spoiler alert) it doesn't.

Seems like it would be pretty confusing to people not familiar with Dominion (as the description suggests too, with the "Oh and “Trashing” removes a card from your deck permanently how many times do I have to say this god")

Nice polish, probably the winner for me of those I've played so far.

Also just played through the dance thing, which I enjoyed the hypnoticness of, but the actual game aspect was ... not good.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Kooking with Krugg was quite fun, but the right hand kept freaking out and refusing to let go of things (pressing E would make it let go then it would immediately grab again so the object would remain held). If I got the left hand to try to steal the held item it would freak out even worse, vibrating violently back and forth between the two hands, and everything would leap off the table. A shame, because apart from glitching out the interface was surprisingly comfortable for one of these "control things way too specifically" genre of games. I succeeded at surviving all three levels (? is there more to it than that ?)

Also, no middle mouse button on a laptop, so looking around involved leading with an arm.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
#YesCallMen doesn't ACTUALLY end, but you do eventually stop converting new people. But up until then, you get a unique message after every show, plus obviously the ridiculous arguments keep getting crazier up to a point. In my opinion, the "new feminists converted" messages just keep getting better and better until it levels off after 50ish shows. Glad you are enjoying it, thanks for playing!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
These threads are always cool even if I have nothing resembling talent relating to game development.

Out of curiosity, is there anywhere where all the old entries for previous contests are hosted? The Death and Taxes contest had some pretty fun ones. Mountain of Debt in particular was cool.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
I think this year we found out that the wiki had been wiped out... so I think the links to those previous entries are gone, unfortunately :(

All those ball games... lost in time... like dick jokes... in rain...

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
So far I've only played #YesCallMen, which is oddly compelling despite the annoying premise! I really dig the card game behind it - I want to play it with people but I cannot imagine being able to explain why its funny to people without the internet-crazy background! Either way, it's great. I'm still playing it!

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
Haha, well you will be happy to hear that I plan on expanding the premise into a larger game with a more approachable theme and hopefully a more robust campaign mode. The plan is to start work on it in October, and I would like to have at least a very basic alpha available by the end of the year. Glad you're liking it, let me know if you have any questions or other comments!

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
TV Tycoon should not go unnoticed, it's an idle clicker done in the style of a website in '95. I already have Saturday morning cartoons set up and no more televangelism.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

This thread's too quiet. Play games, goons.

I'm just over halfway done with the Player's Choice games and have been writing down little thoughts about them I'll post when I've finished. Most of them are overly nitpicky, but don't mind me. I also saw that one judge's stream; shame it was only half of them, though. Hoping I can catch a game of Public Access Wars this weekend!

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 18, 2014

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

Doom Goon posted:

Hoping I can catch a game of Public Access Wars this weekend!

What time is good for you? I'm very happy to arrange a game and can gather up some players

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
People generally only play the games with the highest votes - this is understandable since there are so many!!

Here are some games without a lot of votes that lots of people should definitely be checking out!

Kooking With Krugg - basically Surgeon Simulator except about cooking. Amazing graphics considering it's a 30-day game. I couldn't get a handle of the controls and am curious to see how other goons do.

2:22AM - freaky art game with spooky impressive visuals. The creator insists you play it in the dark alone.'

Sink - I couldn't get this to run since I have a poo poo laptop and it's UE4, but it looks incredible, it's a physics-based game show thing where you throw stuff into a pool and see what floats. The graphics and sound are amazing.

Public Access TV Superstar - It's a REALLY WELL MADE, extremely technically adept sim game like the Kairosoft games. If you've ever enjoyed a Kairosoft game, give this a shot.

Grublands - this game didn't score highly because it didn't have anything to do with the theme ("public access tv") but it's a really well made, black and white, surreal RPG that reminds me of saladfingers. It looks really cool and is well written!

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 18, 2014

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

(if competitors would please check the main SA GameDev thread, I need to hand out the Unity/Stencyl licenses to whichever winner wants them)

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
Thanks Polo-Rican for putting that together, I wanted to put together a short summary of all the games with a screenshot embedded in the actual thread but got sidetracked by other stuff. A lot of great games this year, Public Axes, Hypnovision, and Take Two Treehouse being some of my favorites.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Hi all! I encourage you to revisit Take Two Treehouse a few times in the coming days. I finally found some free time 2 months after the challenge ended and I'm working to improve the game ever so slightly!

Today, I made some changes that will ensure you spend less time on the black screen with the day of the week on it. I won't be posting every time I make a change, but please know that the game will be undergoing some improvements! I hope you all enjoy it, as it was mine and Dodgeball's first completed project.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

This contest was a lot of fun, even if my team bailed on me and I barely avoided a :toxx: failure. I liked 2:22 AM, and it indeed really is fun if you play it at night, in the dark, alone. I liked that it could be considered a horror game, but any "scary" or "creepy" elements are mostly ideas that the player is reading into the game, instead of the usual cheap tactics like a monster jumping out to surprise you, or a bunch of blood and gore. If you've ever had an night where you couldn't sleep at all, and ended up watching TV or looking outside while you half-dozed but couldn't quite fully get to sleeping, this game will seem very familiar.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I wouldn't describe 2:22 AM as scary; I would use the words "haunting" or "eerie." It definitely gets the mind racing, and I'm sad it scored as low as it did (which isn't bad, of course!). Conceptually it's one of my favorites.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Polo-Rican posted:

Public Access TV Superstar - It's a REALLY WELL MADE, extremely technically adept sim game like the Kairosoft games. If you've ever enjoyed a Kairosoft game, give this a shot.

Hey, thank you! :3:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Heisenberg1276 posted:

What time is good for you? I'm very happy to arrange a game and can gather up some players
My internet is notoriously restricted so I'm more worried about that. I thought I could set something up but the two people I know who'd be into it are busy on non-concurrent days this weekend. The time zone thing might be a problem; I should be able to do around 3AM GMT give or take a few hours in either direction most nights.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I'm getting some pretty serious bugs in Wizard Broadcast Special. The controls seem to always pull to the left, I constantly fall through the ground, and on my second run I even got permanently stuck in the puzzle block room (I half-fell through probably during pushing, and even with time over nothing happened). I think over my two playthroughs I got enough of a feel for it, though, just wanted to give a heads up.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

As a reminder, if anyone's unable to play Night Vision TV please do let me know either by posting in the thread or PMing me! There's a lot of issues with the streaming setup, and it has a nasty tendency to break when I'm not paying attention to it. (It should be working now, by the way.)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm really loving the music in Public Access TV Superstar!

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

Night Vision TV is a very cool idea but I am super digging Kooking with Krugg which is like Cooking Mama meets QWOP. Hilarious.

EDIT for Night Vision: I'm tweeting at it from a protected account, does that matter? It didn't process my input

Atma McCuddles fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 19, 2014

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Atma McCuddles posted:

Night Vision TV is a very cool idea but I am super digging Kooking with Krugg which is like Cooking Mama meets QWOP. Hilarious.

EDIT for Night Vision: I'm tweeting at it from a protected account, does that matter? It didn't process my input
I'm tweeting from a non-protected account, and it isn't doing anything either.

"@NightVisionTV open door", "@NightVisionTV use door", "@NightVisionTV go to door", nada.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Shalinor posted:

I'm tweeting from a non-protected account, and it isn't doing anything either.

"@NightVisionTV open door", "@NightVisionTV use door", "@NightVisionTV go to door", nada.
It's working! :D

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

Working now! Awesome AWESOME!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Yyyep it looks like there's a really deep bug that causes the tweet detection to stop working after a while, but rebooting fixes it. I don't have a Unity license anymore so I can't investigate, but if you let me know when it happens I can restart it.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

This is SO COOL. You guys HAVE to keep working on this. This is Kickstartable. This is ALREADY Kickstartable.

EDIT: I am also really loving the dialog. No idea if you just had a solid recording environment / good actors or what, but it works well. The lag's annoying, but - still. So freaking cool.

EDIT: Oh dear now it's getting actually creepy.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 19, 2014

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

Absolutely agreed, this is so impressive - it's not picking up my command (protected twitter whatev), but it seems fairly linear anyway. The idle dialogue is a really nice touch.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

I think I killed the hosts. Not sure if it was because I wasn't entering commands fast enough, or just because they were a pair of bumbling idiots playing with an extremely large generator. Either way, I am satisfied with that outcome. :neckbeard:

EDIT: please please please keep working on this, it's one of the most original concepts to come out of this year's event, and not something I've really seen, well, anywhere else.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 19, 2014

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Shalinor posted:

I think I killed the hosts. Not sure if it was because I wasn't entering commands fast enough, or just because they were a pair of bumbling idiots playing with an extremely large generator. Either way, I am satisfied with that outcome. :neckbeard:

It's actually both! You have to be pretty quick recognizing the colors, otherwise the generator blows up because they're pretty incompetent.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm really loving the music in Public Access TV Superstar!

Aw shuckens, thanks. For more, check out the music to Psychopimps from 2 years ago.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

blastron posted:

It's actually both! You have to be pretty quick recognizing the colors, otherwise the generator blows up because they're pretty incompetent.
I got the blown generator, too. The over minute lag is way too much. And it took an hour to get there (I got lost easily, too, plus I thought I had to find some pipes, lol). It's also frustrating when you get an "unrecognized" command ("Oh! It was blue! Oh, wait, I switched over and didn't notice red comes after, so I'll type in red, and then blue and red just in case, there... :(" or Twitter's "you already sent that command!" if you have to repeat one within who-knows-how-long) especially when you're trying to compensate for it.

If you can get it to work quicker could you update this thread? I really liked what I saw, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Like I said before, Take Two Treehouse has gone through some new updates tonight!

Big features include:

• The Shoot a Scene minigame sucks less!
  • It's more obvious you clicked on a button!
  • Fancy text intro to set the mood!
  • Implemented post-processing option!
  • Stats and how close you are to "finishing" the movie are now shown on the daily screen!
  • Overall code restructuring should make the game a bit faster!

This is a shameless plug - it would make me really happy if people played it and posted their thoughts and things that can improve.

I know this thread isn't for solely my updates, but is it obvious I'm anxious to get people to actually play the game and give some feedback? :unsmith:

• Locked thread