Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

And your argument of skill is dumb too, because why aren't Crosby and Datsyuk and Tavares the league leaders in shootout goals? Why are some great goalies absolutely horrendous in the shootout? It's such a small sample size and players can be amazing at it one year and awful the next.

Gee, it is almost as if the most skilled people at normal hockey are not the same people who are the most skilled at super wacky funtime games. They are very different beasts.

But lets elaborate. The skills you would look for in a super star hockey player are what? Vision, poise, puck control, passing skill and of course shooting. For the shootout you look for shooting and.... maybe puck control? So yeah, players who are not complete talents are going to do amazingly in it, but not be as great in real games. Likewise guys who are all around talents are going to be great in the game, but breakaways just might not be their thing. They say great players make the people around them better and it is true, a great player will get people out of position and then make the best of that, be it a great pass or a great shot. There is no opportunity to do so on a shootout chance.

The same can be said for goalies. Goalies who have great positioning, reflexes and especially recovery excel in real games. In shootouts it is pretty much reflexes only with maybe a splash of positioning if you have the book on the shooter's tendencies.

It very much /is/ a skill game, the reason people hate it is because it is unlike complete hockey.

darkwolf220 fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

OK but it's a small sample size. That's my point. There are very few players in the league who are awesome at shootouts every single year, it varies. It's like giving a hitter in baseball 30 at-bats per year, his numbers are going to wildly vary, even if he is incredibly skilled. Do you think the Devils are going to go 0-13 in shootouts again? You can't possibly. Even if they suck at them again, which is entirely possible, going 2-9 is still considerably better, as they would have lost 7 points instead of 13, which is an enormous difference.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

OK but it's a small sample size. That's my point. There are very few players in the league who are awesome at shootouts every single year, it varies. It's like giving a hitter in baseball 30 at-bats per year, his numbers are going to wildly vary, even if he is incredibly skilled. Do you think the Devils are going to go 0-13 in shootouts again? You can't possibly. Even if they suck at them again, which is entirely possible, going 2-9 is still considerably better, as they would have lost 7 points instead of 13, which is an enormous difference.

No, they will not probably go 0-13 again. They are a different team than last year. Guys sometimes get better from year to year too. 2-9 = 11 shootouts, not 13, what school did you go to. And 2-11 is still poo poo, just not as much poo poo. They were historically bad last year, bu not because they were just so unlucky, they were legit bad at it. Maybe they will not be as bad this year. I'm sick of this argument making GBS threads up the thread, so I've said my bit, feel free to disagree.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

And your argument of skill is dumb too, because why aren't Crosby and Datsyuk and Tavares the league leaders in shootout goals? Why are some great goalies absolutely horrendous in the shootout? It's such a small sample size and players can be amazing at it one year and awful the next.

well datsyuk is fourth all time amongst active players and sidney crosby is ahead of shootout monster ilya kovalchuk :v:

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

darkwolf220 posted:

No, they will not probably go 0-13 again.

This is my point, and this automatically gives them a couple extra points of of a boost. Also 11 shootouts. They win 2. They lose 9. 2-9. Yes, it's still poo poo. That's entirely my point. Even if they suck that badly this coming season, it's not 0-13 and it's a big difference in points. And yeah, this shouldn't be in the thread anymore, we've both made our points.

Brodeurs Nanny fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 24, 2014

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

the interesting thing about the devils is that despite really bad goaltending by brodeur, they only gave up 208 goals last year, which puts them at 6th in the league. the problem was that they had one of the worst offenses in the league and there isn't much to suggest that they are going to improve significantly there as long as they have their current roster and peter deboer as their coach. they still could easily make the playoffs though because they do play a really good system just they have no offense unlike the kings.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Zamboni Jesus posted:

the interesting thing about the devils is that despite really bad goaltending by brodeur, they only gave up 208 goals last year, which puts them at 6th in the league. the problem was that they had one of the worst offenses in the league and there isn't much to suggest that they are going to improve significantly there as long as they have their current roster and peter deboer as their coach. they still could easily make the playoffs though because they do play a really good system just they have no offense unlike the kings.

Right, they were 6th in the league in goals against, and having Marty gone should mean they're a top 3-5 team in that area, and as I've mentioned in this very thread recently, they added Cammalleri, who is a slam dunk for 20-25 goals if he's healthy and plays with Jagr, and they added Havlat (granted, no idea how he will do) and have Gelinas up for the full season, so that goal differential improving even a little bit puts them in the playoffs.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

i'd be surprised if new jersey cracks 200 goals this year

though the retort is that LA had barely any more goals than new jersey

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Zamboni Jesus posted:

i'd be surprised if new jersey cracks 200 goals this year

though the retort is that LA had barely any more goals than new jersey

That's exactly the retort. Last year, the Kings scored 206 goals and the Devils 197. The difference was the Kings allowed 174 goals and the Devils 208. Even if the Devils score 200 goals again, no Brodeur and Schneider playing 60-65 games is probably a 25-30 goal difference. And remember, 13 of those goals against came in shootouts. I think it's very plausible that the Devils score another ten goals and wind up around that Kings 206 mark and even more plausible that they give up 25 less goals, giving them 180 goals against. That would make them an easy playoff team.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It could all fall apart if old man Jagr can't keep playing at a near elite level though.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

It could all fall apart if old man Jagr can't keep playing at a near elite level though.

You could say this exact same thing about a few of the East teams that are in similar situations. Thats what makes it so much harder to predict. :v:

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

It could but I really don't expect much drop off, he literally got better as the season went on. He is a physical freak. Even if he drops off to 60 points, that's still great. Not to say he COULD have a big drop off, and if he does, that will affect their chances a lot.

Grebo
Mar 29, 2012

2015-2016
2016-2017
2017-2018
2018-2019

BRUINS DEFENSE
I'm terrified of jinxing anything but here goes :ohdear:

Stanley Cup Champion: Boston def Chicago
Art Ross: Crosby
Rocket Richard: Stamkos
Norris: P.K. Subban
Vezina: Rask
Calder: Gibson
Team with the most goals: Chicago
Team with the fewest goals: Carolina
Team allowing the most goals: Winnipeg
Team allowing the fewest goals: Boston
Team/goalie allowing most goals in shootout : Boston /Rask
Does Torts coach this year (if so where): No
Does Brodeur get a contract (if so where): No

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
The Devils are relying on a 42 year old Jagr, 38 year old Elias, 33 year old broke rear end Havlat, Mr. Concussion Ryan Clowe, 32 year old Cammalleri who admittedly should put up some goals but also spends significant time on the injury list..., 34 year old Michael Ryder, and I guess a broke as Tuomo Rutuu

IF everyone stays healthy I can see them doing well, but I'd be pretty worried about injuries taking out a huge chunk of offense especially because a bunch of those guys have had a history of injuries. That's what I'd be worried about. If they stay healthy, then they'll probably do pretty well

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i know how the pieces the devils have on paper are not very compelling but you know how the advanced stats from last year say the avs and the ducks should regress? the devils are like that, but the opposite. plus schneider is their real starter now.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

a false posted:

i know how the pieces the devils have on paper are not very compelling but you know how the advanced stats from last year say the avs and the ducks should regress? the devils are like that, but the opposite. plus schneider is their real starter now.

The Canucks were top-10 in pretty much every possession stat imaginable and yeah they aren't going to be top ten or even top sixteen in the standings anytime soon.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

ThinkTank posted:

The Canucks were top-10 in pretty much every possession stat imaginable and yeah they aren't going to be top ten or even top sixteen in the standings anytime soon.

they lost important players and didn't get anything valuable back. the devils lost mark fayne and that was pretty much it.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

ThinkTank posted:

If they still had Kesler and had made some modest improvements to their roster I would have picked them for a playoff spot. They're still not a bad team.

The Devils problem, like Levitate said, is mainly age - if too many of those guys regress/get hurt they'll be in trouble. If they stay reasonably healthy they'll be fine.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
For the record, I'm also worried about Rick Nash's noggin staying in a non-jello state and Marty's nearly 40 year old body not being crushed and Dan Boyle's greybeard not sucking all of the life out of his body leaving a dry husk covered in scruff.

I DO like a lot of the young depth the Rangers have, but it's not something that can replace losing a major offensive piece like the ones mentioned above. Guys like Fast and Kristo and Lindberg might have a good shot at a team with more open roster spots but honestly probably aren't going to make the Rangers this year gain.

Also, Kreider staying healthy and active will be a big key as well since he's really their one big and aggressive forward that causes problems for other teams. He was definitely a huge help in the playoffs when he returned from injury (and not just because Emelin tripped him into Price).

e: as soon as I say this, Stepan blows out his knee while skating :suicide:

if he has a torn ACL or something that is a huge blow to the Rangers

Levitate fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 24, 2014

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Oilers are makin the playoffs baby!!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Oilers are back like hightop fades and hammer pants. And cassette tapes. And I guess... Madonna? Michael Jackson? Deloreans?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Eastern Conference
Atlantic
1) Boston
2) Montreal
3) Tampa Bay
4) Detroit
5) Florida
6) Ottawa
7) Toronto
8) Buffalo

Metro
1) Pittsburgh
2) Philadelphia
3) New York Rangers
4) New Jersey
5) New York Islanders
6) Washington
7) Columbus
8) Carolina

Western Conference
Central
1) St.Louis
2) Chicago
3) Dallas
4) Minnesota
5) Colorado
6) Winnipeg
7) Nashville

Pacific
1) Anaheim
2) Los Angeles
3) San Jose
4) Edmonton
5) Arizona
6) Vancouver
7) Calgary

Playoffs
East
1) Boston
2) Montreal
3) Tampa Bay

1) Pittsburgh
2) Philadelphia
3) New York Rangers

WC1) New Jersey
WC2) Detroit

West
1) St.Louis
2) Chicago
3) Dallas

1) Anaheim
2) Los Angeles
3) San Jose

WC1) Minnesota
WC2) Colorado

Other Optional poo poo Predictions:

Stanley Cup Champion: St. Louis def Boston
Rocket Richard: Ovechkin
Norris: Chara
Vezina: Quick
Calder: Drouin
Team with the fewest goals: Buffalo
Team allowing the most goals: Buffalo
First coach fired: Carlyle
Does Torts coach this year (if so where): Yes, Toronto

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The Oilers are back like hightop fades and hammer pants. And cassette tapes. And I guess... Madonna? Michael Jackson? Deloreans?

Randy Gregg drove a Delorean baby

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Wayne Gretzky posted:

Dr Randy Gregg.

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

Eastern Conference
Atlantic
1) Toronto
2) Boston
3) Montreal
4) Detroit
5) Tampa Bay
6) Florida
7) Ottawa
8) Buffalo

Metro
1) Pittsburgh
2) NYI
3) NYR
4) Columbus
5) NJ
6) Washington
7) Philly
8) Carolina

Western Conference
Central
1) Chicago
2) St.Louis
3) Dallas
4) Minnesota
5) Colorado
6) Nashville
7) Winnipeg

Pacific
1) LA
2) Anaheim
3) SJ
4) Edmonton
5) Arizona
6) Vancouver
7) Calgary

Playoffs
East
1) Toronto
2) Boston
3) Montreal

1) Pittsburgh
2) NYI
3) NYR

WC1) Detroit
WC2) Columbus

West
1) Chicago
2) St.Louis
3) Dallas

1) LA
2) Anaheim
3) SJ

WC1) Edmonton
WC2) Minnesota

Stanley Cup Champion: Toronto def Edmonton
Art Ross: Kessel
Rocket Richard: Kessel
Norris: Subban
Vezina: Bernier
Team with the most goals: Toronto
Team allowing the fewest goals: LA
Does Torts coach this year (if so where): Yes, OHL Kingston Frontenacs rear end. Coach
Does Brodeur get a contract (if so where): Yes, Philly

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

:laffo: Why didn't you just have the Everblades winning the Cup over the Brampton Midget Hockey Team

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

darkwolf220 posted:

:laffo: Why didn't you just have the Everblades winning the Cup over the Brampton Midget Hockey Team

you seem to be forgetting that the oilers are back baby

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Minnesota gonna be either awesome or poo poo

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
they'll probably be OK

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Good Canadian Boy posted:

Eastern Conference
Atlantic
1) Toronto
2) Boston
3) Montreal
4) Detroit
5) Tampa Bay
6) Florida
7) Ottawa
8) Buffalo

Metro
1) Pittsburgh
2) NYI
3) NYR
4) Columbus
5) NJ
6) Washington
7) Philly
8) Carolina

Western Conference
Central
1) Chicago
2) St.Louis
3) Dallas
4) Minnesota
5) Colorado
6) Nashville
7) Winnipeg

Pacific
1) LA
2) Anaheim
3) SJ
4) Edmonton
5) Arizona
6) Vancouver
7) Calgary

Playoffs
East
1) Toronto
2) Boston
3) Montreal

1) Pittsburgh
2) NYI
3) NYR

WC1) Detroit
WC2) Columbus

West
1) Chicago
2) St.Louis
3) Dallas

1) LA
2) Anaheim
3) SJ

WC1) Edmonton
WC2) Minnesota

Stanley Cup Champion: Toronto def Edmonton
Art Ross: Kessel
Rocket Richard: Kessel
Norris: Subban
Vezina: Bernier
Team with the most goals: Toronto
Team allowing the fewest goals: LA
Does Torts coach this year (if so where): Yes, OHL Kingston Frontenacs rear end. Coach
Does Brodeur get a contract (if so where): Yes, Philly

My favorite part is that you still couldn't make yourself put a Toronto Norris winner.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

My favorite part is that you still couldn't make yourself put a Toronto Norris winner.

Morgan Rielly 2016, baby :getin:

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Wayne Gretzky posted:

2014 and I still goddamn sick of hearing about dr randy gregg and his fancy rear end car. You know what Joel Otto drove? A fuckin gently caress truck.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Aphrodite posted:

What if PK gets traded to Toronto before the end of preseason, mr. smart guy? He's a hometown kid, doncha know.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

mennoknight posted:

2014 and I still goddamn sick of hearing about dr randy gregg and his fancy rear end car. You know what Joel Otto drove? A fuckin gently caress truck.

Thats because he was a piece of poo poo .

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Wayne Gretzky posted:

Thats because he was a piece of poo poo .

Wow - that's a pretty mean thing to say. He was a pretty cool guy who drove a truck. Trucks cost less in Wetaskawin.

Comrade Milton
Jul 16, 2005
Stanley Cup Champion: Boston def St. Louis
Rocket Richard: Stamkos
Norris: Chara
Vezina: Rask
Calder: Gibson
Team allowing the most goals: Winnipeg
Team/goalie allowing most goals in shootout : Boston /Rask
Does Torts coach this year (if so where): No

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Y'all vastly underestimating the Habs' hability to sink to the bottom. We have Therrien coaching on the line.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

MononcQc posted:

Y'all vastly underestimating the Habs' hability to sink to the bottom. We have Therrien coaching on the line.

Even Therrien cant out-terrible the Sabres, Sens, and Leafs. Detroit maybe, but thats assuming my other prediction doesnt happen (setting a new NHL record for man games lost).

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Even Therrien cant out-terrible the Sabres, Sens, and Leafs. Detroit maybe, but thats assuming my other prediction doesnt happen (setting a new NHL record for man games lost).

It was only 3 years ago that Habs were 28th in the league, with players such as Carey Price, PK Subban, Max Pacioretty, and Tomas Plekanek on the team.

I'm just partly kidding. I can see the leafs, Florida, and Detroit possibly finishing above Montreal in some fun injury-prone world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Eastern Conference
Atlantic
1) Montreal because they are cool
2) Don't give a poo poo
3) Don't give a poo poo
4) Don't give a poo poo
5) Don't give a poo poo
6) Don't give a poo poo
7) Don't give a poo poo
8) Don't give a poo poo

Metro
1) God's team for the proletariat the Pittsburgh Penguins
2) Don't give a poo poo
3) Don't give a poo poo
4) hahah you gave how much to Brooks Orpik?
5) Don't give a poo poo
6) Don't give a poo poo
7) Don't give a poo poo
8) gently caress Philly

Western Conference
Central
1) Blackhawks I guess?
2) Don't give a poo poo
3) Don't give a poo poo
4) Don't give a poo poo
5) Don't give a poo poo
6) Don't give a poo poo
7) Don't give a poo poo

Pacific
1) San Jose because I like Sharks :)
2) Don't give a poo poo
3) Don't give a poo poo
4) Don't give a poo poo
5) Don't give a poo poo
6) Don't give a poo poo
7) Don't give a poo poo

Playoffs
East
1) Pittsburgh
2) NYR
3) NJ

1) Montreal
2) Tampa
3) Boston

WC1) Detroit
WC2) Columbus

West
1) Chicago
2) St. Louis
3) Colorado

1) SJ
2) LA
3) Anaheim

WC1) Dallas
WC2) Minnesota

Stanley Cup Champion: Pittsburgh def Chicago in 4 at home where Mario's tears of joy will be collected in vials to heal kids with Hodgkin lymphoma
Rocket Richard: Kunitz somehow
Norris: Letang
Vezina: Marc Andre Fleur- hahah no its going to be someone competent like Schneider
Calder: Whatever cool rookie the Penguins have
Team with the most goals: Pittsburgh
Team allowing the most goals: Carolina
First coach fired: Eakins
Does Torts coach this year (if so where): Yeah some beer league in bum gently caress nowhere
Does Brodeur get a contract (if so where): Yes, whatever beer league Torts is coaching

• Locked thread