Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

The Rage posted:

That was pre Obamacare, unless you're a Fox News viewer

I don't know about everyone else here, but since Obamacare my health insurance has gone above 30% of my gross salary, my coverage has gotten worse, and my copays went from $0/$10 dental to hundreds of dollars. Group Death is the only thing I can afford now.

That all said, pre-obama care, a Canadian friend of mine got tricked by a nurse into having a wristband put on him (she snuck up behind him and attached it to him in the waiting room, in front of me and his family) and that cost him almost $3,000 so I don't think that system was very good either.

Basically our healthcare was awful and it got worse, not much more to the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Moridin920 posted:

obamacare let me get some actually decent coverage for the first time in ever for a good (relative to what it was before) price

idk why you pay for dental insurance that's just dumb.

You can remove your own teeth with pliers! Something something about poor people having refridgerators.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

EugeneJ posted:

If you're talking about your premiums through a work plan going up, that would qualify you for an Obamacare plan on the exchange. Employer plans can't exceed more than 9% of your salary.

For a family or individual?

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

EugeneJ posted:

Individual - the family plans are hosed

Well, there you go then! Group death is costing me more than real insurance was a year ago. Obviously the system is working. I love having to haggle with my doctor for prescriptions because they can't profit as much from my insurance anymore!

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Moridin920 posted:

well no because you end up paying like what, ~$100/mo and then you're still out of pocket the first $500 or so. And it only covers (most of the time) half the cost of major procedures, 75% the cost of fillings and crowns and poo poo, and 100% the cost of check ups (lol the $50 check up).

So how is it cost effective? Nix it entirely and just pay out of pocket. They usually give you a good discount if you don't have insurance. If you take care of your teeth you'll be paying a lot less. I had all my wisdom teeth + another bad tooth pulled for $1900 which was expensive but it's not like insurance would have saved me any money really.

I used to have an actual not lovely dental policy where I would get check ups for a $10 copay, 95-100% on crowns and fillings, surgery etc.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Moridin920 posted:

how much did you pay per month though?

I mean yeah you can find good policies but just generally speaking as a person who doesn't have health coverage through their employer most dental policies offered end up loving you.

About 1/3rd as much as I'm paying now for group death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Moridin920 posted:

well you said you're paying 30% of your salary so a third of that is still too much imo

idk why we can't just get socialized medicine already, the concept of profit driven healthcare is ridiculous

Oh I agree that it definitely was hosed big time before obamacare. I'm only saying that in my personal world bubble, it's gotten significantly worse since Obamacare and that I'm now seriously considering living without healthcare because I realistically can't afford it anymore and the coverage I'm paying for now isn't very good since I can't afford my copays now.

• Locked thread