Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
I'm going to want to see thousands of late-gameplay videos before I consider giving Colossal Order a penny, let alone 30 or 40 bucks. CIM2 is a mess, with broken pathfinding, unoptimised gameplay and several longstanding bugs (there's a thread on the forum somewhere, it's worth a read). I simply don't trust them to develop a working city simulator. They're a very small studio with a shaky track record imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

ExtraNoise posted:

All of this.

Why, CO, why? :(

Because they're a bunch of hack frauds? After my experience with both CIM and CIM2 it'll be a cold day in hell before I go near their game again unless it gets at least 90% positive reviews.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
The more I read about Skylines the more I'm convinced it's just a spruced up CiM2. CiM2 is full of those skyscrapers with 10 workers in them and as soon as you get to 50,000 citizens (real or fake, hard to tell) it grinds to a halt because 500 "cims" on the screen at the time is just a tad more than the engine can handle. I've said it before and I will say it again - prepare to be disappointed.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

MonoAus posted:

I didn't have this problem at all. CIM2 wasn't without is problems though but I don't think the population was one of them. I think we can at least expect a playable game from these guys.

Did you really have 500+ on-screen cims and the game didn't start dropping frames like crazy? I honestly do not believe that, because literally everyone did. A cursory look through their forum will confirm it.

Increase the underground/metro catchment area and set up two interconnecting lines to see exactly what I mean.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
I downloaded a demo of Cities XL once, I believe this was the very first release. I don't think they've had a demo since then. It was atrocious. Horrible UI, unintuitive gameplay, and performance was rather poor to boot. Never touched it since. I haven't heard a good word about it from any reputable source either.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
CIM2 was an ok game. I did put almost 100 hours into it, so it did something right. A major problem was Paradox/CO trying to milk it and locking it down as a result. The lack of good mods certainly dissuaded a majority of CIM players from giving it a go. The artistic design was woeful, the cities were drab and depressing. Pathfinding on a city-wide scale was ridiculously stupid and inefficient and often resulted in things getting "gamey" as opposed to logical. A large-scale late game was wrought with performance problems, which turned things to a slideshow, but honestly, if you weren't bored to tears by that time, then I just don't know.

Just to give you an idea how smart the AI could be sometimes if you weren't babysitting it enough:

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Hard and soft limits are always due to performance. Personally, I'll let you lot have all the fun, then wait the inevitable 5 patches and pick it up once it's on a Steam fire sale. After the clusterfuck that was CIM2, I will never trust CO to deliver a quality game on day one.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

KKKlean Energy posted:

Oh boy do I have a Simcity for you!

run for the hills don't look back

This is why composition, framing and cropping are an art form.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

JuffoWup posted:

Farming simulator survives on the mod community and has done well. Then again, I've only ever seen one spergy control modder from that scene appear.

Basically, the guy made a production script that allowed your to harvest your fields, place it into a factory to get a middle unit and then that was taken to the final destination. Only at the final did you get your money. And the middle factory ticked at set intervals to help control things as well. The goal was to get all 4 production systems running at once which wasn't possible other than in multiplayer. Some other modders took the code from the guy's map and started using it in their maps. Sometimes with and sometimes without crediting the guy. He got all mad and never made more. That was for farming sim 2011. We have since had 2013 and 2015 released without it ever being updated. Such a cool feature that made the game more dynamic though.

Farming Simulator has an atrocious modding community. One of the worst I have seen. There are a number of prolific groups that have exited the public scene and now only do mods for themselves and/or privately charge their supporters for access. Mod theft and unauthorised modifications are a daily occurrence. That most mods are horrible bastardisations of stolen assets is a whole different story. Ego trips are also fairly common, a fairly well known modder deleted all of his work just a few days ago. I suppose a lot of that goes under the radar, seeing how most modders are from Germany and Eastern Europe, but once you discover their facebook profiles or private forums... oooh boy. It's a cesspool.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

HardDisk posted:

Is it just me or is this raising red flags for someone else?

It should. There is (or at least used to be) a thread dedicated to CiM2 here somewhere and the Paradox forum is still open, although they have recently deleted the technical support sub-forum. I would honestly advise everyone to have a read through it. CO promised a lot of things for CiM2 and failed to deliver. They even ran a "user choice" poll on what to include as part of a DLC at one point and then refused to acknowledge the results (though they did backtrack and did include some of the winning choices after a backlash).

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

It's funny that there are no reviews because before SimCity 5 came out there were tons of (shill) positive reviews and the game had supposedly been nominated for/won 26 awards. Considering the pile of crap it was, I'm actually glad they're not hyping the game up to SimCity levels only to have it crash and burn 2 days later.

We will actually have to get RELIABLE information AFTER release! A new era!

That's because they don't have the budget to hype it up to SimCity levels. Paradox is a small publisher compared to nearly everyone else. Their revenues are something like 15m EUR. 15m EUR is probably what EA spends on toilet paper. Coincidentally, that's usually what most EA games are worth.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah i don't get a lot of the missing stuff from CiM2. Trams and poo poo will absolutely be DLC later though. I wish they had spent all their wasted time on awful farms and lumber and used it to just copy paste over the tram code from CiM2 or what ever.

The tram code that made them get stuck in mile long queues because only one tram could get through a green light? That tram code?

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Looks like they learned their CiM2 lesson.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

JonBolds posted:

Zero strings attached, stream and let's play embargo is up tomorrow. Review embargo is the 10th.

Been playing for a couple days now but can't say anything in a written format because embargo.

I can say that I played a preview build a couple weeks ago and it was solid, but:
-Game has some weird little bugs here and there especially involving weird interactions like hydroelectric dams + railroad bridges.
-Certain systems, like crime, don't matter that much.
-Certain systems, like traffic, are really the be-all end-all of how well your city can develop.
-This is not the second coming of SC4 but goddamn is it easier to play.
-Expect this to be much like any other PDX game: Solid at release, interesting, lacking in areas, buggy, but fun. Will improve over time - as we've been promised free content by the devs and the mod tools are as good as devs are promising them to be.

I'm having a Cities in Motion 2 panic attack and a simultaneous deja vu.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

suddenlyissoon posted:

I'm so trying to guard my excitement and prepare for disappointment. I even have found myself playing Sim City 2013 again. Do they have rehab for this sort of thing?

There's no reason to go to either extreme. CiM2, which I keep on banging on about, was a decent game, even with very little content at launch. It did have mid to late-game performance issues, but so do nearly all city and traffic simulators. I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect that Skylines will be a mediocre city simulator with a slightly better traffic simulation, as that is probably lifted and transplanted from CiM. Keep in mind, that a mediocre city simulator is still leaps and bounds beyond anything released in the last 5 to 7 years.

I am neither optimistic nor pessimistic about this title. If anything, I'm very much indifferent. Baring any major show-stoppers I'll probably pick it up within a fortnight of release and if it's anything like CiM and CiM2 on an enjoyment level, I'll probably get at least 150 hours out of it. That's a lot more than I get out of most titles.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Corn Burst posted:

I know most of what we are seeing is early game, but hot-drat, this game looks fun.

I can think of another city sim that looked fun in the early game.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
There's a stark difference between fans of the genre and streamers. As skeptical of any CO game as I am, I would not write it off based on people who are not city building enthusiasts.

Ditto for developers. The best CiM2 maps were made by fans. The default cities were atrocious.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

ExtraNoise posted:

I am the last holdout apparently.

Have fun with your stupid awesome amazing game on day one, nerds. :(

Nah, I still haven't and won't. Not until I see some late game performance on an ancient machine.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Orv posted:

I want to frame this post for posterity three weeks from now.

Oh don't worry, if there's anything wrong with this game at all, we're going to tear it to shreds and post all the quotes.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Orv posted:

As someone whose interest in city sims like this rather than production stuff like Anno/Stronghold etc has always been pretty casual, you people are loving crazy about this stuff. It's scary.

God forbid people used hyperbole in a comedy forum.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

zxqv8 posted:

This is amazing. I'm flabbergasted.

When does the other shoe drop?

drat you, EA and your lovely SimCity. I'm scarred. :negative:

I don't think there will be any shoes dropping. This, in all likelihood, will be a competent, if slightly underwhelming game. Any problems that I see in traffic and unrealistic and logic-defying path finding should come as no surprise to anyone who's played CiM2. Those weren't game-breaking issues. They just messed with the suspension of disbelief at times. After SC5, I don't think anyone but the spergiest of spergs will have an issue with them.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Modding is good, let's just hope the community will be more like Train Simulator and a lot less like Farming Simulator or SC4.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Ihmemies posted:

So for me the regular is 20,43€ and Deluxe is 27€. Is it really worth it to pay 1€/unique building? Sounds kind of silly waste of money.

If you have to ask...

But, if you need some reassurance, I'll offer it free of charge - no, it's not worth it, yes, it's a silly waste of money.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Ihmemies posted:

The buildings seem nice though, especially if someone adds some 18th and 19th century buildings to the game :negative: And I guess I can support the devs, they're from my hometown after all.

It's a waste of money. Real buildings rarely fit into simulated cities and stick out like an eyesore. I am sure they will release this pack as standalone at some point and maybe they will do a themed building set, at which point, perhaps they will be better suited. You're already supporting the devs by buying this game.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Warsaw loves a loving roundabout, no doubt about it.

This one is right next to the National Stadium

This one is in the city centre

This one just a few blocks further north

And this one just a few blocks south

And lets not forget the mother of all of Warsaw's traffic problems, this fucker right smack bang in the middle of the two most clogged central arteries

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Baronjutter posted:

So I can get everything to max level except office. They are always 99% to the top leven but need more services. What services? ?? Oh god would it kill them to be slightly more specific? Any hints? maybe some thing I can't build yet like an Airport?

Top-level offices are retarded and need stupid levels of coverage. They want hospitals, police, fire department, schools, high schools, university, buses, metro and parks as well. At least that's what I've extrapolated from third tier offices developing in my city. Perhaps someone else has a difference experience.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

guidoanselmi posted:

My biggest issue (besides not understanding traffic till a bit of trial & error) is that my residents are too educated. No one does blue collar labor. People come build industry, complain about not finding labor, and close up shop. I think like 60% of my population is "very educated"

Once your population becomes "too smart", you should zone for offices rather than more industry. Offices seem to be the equivalent of Simcity's hi-tech industry. It's probably why they're represented on the industrial side of the RCI meter.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Noyemi K posted:

A cool idea for a mod would be some kind of overhead rail, not regular passenger trains but actually metro trains that run aboveground and have elevated stations, like the people mover in Detroit. There was a mod for SC4 that added those and they'd look so nice running through downtown.

Monorails came as a late DLC for CiM2. I'm pretty sure they'll work trams into this game at some point as well.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Fans posted:

I thought Abandoned Buildings did rebuild? It's only ones that burnt down from a fire that you need to bulldoze and that seems fair. Shouldn't have let it burn down.

They do rebuild if there's demand, but it seems they lower land value in their abandoned state.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Noyemi K posted:

Though I like the footbridges, yeah that came to mind and I love tunnels in videogames. And in real life.

We need a bridge tunnel mod or underground expansion DLC :getin:

Already mentioned, but yes, tunnels will be in the next patch or soon thereafter. I'm hoping they won't change much from CiM2, where you could really do very complex things with tunneling (such as underground roads, tramways, walkways, etc.). The only downside to pedestrian underground walkways was that they took up pretty much the same amount of space as footbridges.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Colossal Order did make a fairly decent game, but you have to hand it to Paradox - their marketing strategy and support for this title was spectacular, both in its effectiveness and simplicity. If they support it as well as CK2 and EU4 we're in for years of enjoyment.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

triplexpac posted:

Why do all that when you can make a FPS zombie game and get rich?

Hear hear. It takes a special kind of developer/publisher partnership to take on a fairly complex genre and do it well. CO made some inroads with a very well received CiM and then expanded on some areas with CiM2. I suppose to answer the original question - the time was right for them to attempt this. It was a natural progression given what CO worked on in the past. Paradox on the other hand is the perfect publisher, as they are used to nursing and catering to the sim and grand strategy communities. Right place at the right time and they delivered.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Pipski posted:

Lol, I'll try. There's already a bus stop literally right outside them though. I don't have metros yet, and they're in the next street to both the police and fire station. I'll just throw everything at them. Thanks!

e; dog park seemed to do the trick.

Yeah, even if seems like you have everything covered, try adding something more. Yesterday I managed to kick-start a few third tier office buildings by building a crematorium in the area. I think this reliance on service is going to need some tweaking.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

zedprime posted:

I think the tooltip was left open ended because any service, anything that makes a building spew smiley faces, counts. So you could theoretically get the last bit by overcovering with extra existing services instead of it being you missed 1 service.

You're probably right, but I think we could use a bit more info so that we don't end up spamming superfluous services in a guessing game. That or it should be toned down.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

SkyEnzo posted:

Man I want this game. Been debating the purchase all week.

You think its got a lot of reply value?

Assuming you will ever abandon your first city, yes, it does.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Haeleus posted:

I'm getting frustrated with my city (now 12k) because a bunch of "dead people" icons are showing up and resulting in abandonment, I have a decent amount of clinics and even a hospital as well as about 4 cemeteries so am I missing something? On a similar point, do cemeteries and landfills ever sustain themselves by "emptying" or am I forced to keep building them (I have a garbage power plant but I think I recently had to plop down my 8th, despite the info screen saying I'm not yet at capacity apparently a bunch of tiles are accumulating garbage)?

You need to consider both capacity and distance. That's what they coloured overlay is for. Check if there are any streets that are outside of coverage and relocate or build new services closer to them. If you have 100% coverage, check that your garbage truck and hearses aren't getting stuck in traffic.

Landfills need to be emptied, ditto for cemeteries. There's an option to do that in the popup. Keep in mind that they will be closed while they're emptying (to the incinerators and crematoriums respectively), so you will need to have some extra services on standby to cover the overflow.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

ScipioAfro posted:

I got my first city to 100,000 :) I was trying to do it by bulldozing as little as possible, and just kept sticking extra bits on.

This actually looks very good. I like the organic, chaotic feel. Honestly, this really looks like a city that's been developing over time.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
The only thing that royally pisses me off thus far is emergency services responding from the other side of the city. Just recently I observed an ambulance going literally from north end of the city to the south, while there was an almost empty hospital just two blocks down from the household affected and at least another two hospitals and a couple of clinics in between. I seem to remember SC5 having a similar issue. I suppose this is a behaviour inherent to agents, but this should really be handled better by the AI. Surely it shouldn't be that difficult for the simulation to check where the closest emergency service is and dispatch accordingly.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Ofaloaf posted:

I love that they're calling players 'Chirpies'. :allears:

I don't. I'm not 12. He can go Chirp himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

cthulhoo posted:

A literal :goonsay:

You do realise that post was in jest I hope. I never know with you people any more.

• Locked thread