Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

Just watched the first 2 eps(which aired on my birthday :circlefap: ) and I'm really happy with the show. That part in episode 2 where Bell just stone cold smokes a guy :drat: cemented me on the series.

It actually doesn't seem like Bell was responsible for that kill. He disabled the earlier Grimoire without destroying it using the vulcans, so it seems a little odd for him to go straight for a kill-shot. He seems shocked when the Gundam fires the rifle and denies killing Cahill later on. It seems the Gundam fired on its own; the G-Self appears to have some form of limited sentience or autonomy, as seen when it hesitated to attack Bellri in episode 1. My guess is that the G-Self is packed with psychoframe like the NT-D and picked up either Bellri's or Captain Cahill's hostile emotions and responded in self-defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
History has never exactly been kind to newtypes and it seems unlikely that many newtypes would exist in an age where most of the population is locked on Earth.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
I think Dellensen is my favorite character so far. He's one of the few people in this show to take things seriously all the time, but he's not as big of a hardass as he carries himself. He's also shown to be pretty competent, and it was amusing to see him take Klim down a notch after his boasting. His Cait Sith wasn't even equipped with a flight pack!

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

WickedHate posted:

The KKK in Birth of a Nation were just trying to protect people, I don't see what's so racist about it.

Please stop making this thread worse every time you post in it.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
Essentially a big bully middle schooler beating up a bunch of third graders.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

Broken Loose posted:

I'm aware. It's just a poison in this forum in general, like the guy who said he'd "be happy if he never heard the word misogyny again" or you, who recently claimed that episode 1 of KLK didn't actually feature any rape.

Please stop posting in this thread. You have already almost completely ruined it. Just leave. Please.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
I wonder if Klim realizes that he got humiliated twice in one day by the same guy.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
The big names at the Capital remind me of the Zabi family, with Colonel Cumpa being Gihren, his Holiness being Degwin, and Bellri's mother being Kycilia. They even look similar, visually.

And, well, let's not forget what happened with Gihren and Kycilia at the end of Gundam 0079.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

I have absolutely no clue what exactly happened when Bellri killed his instructor. It goes from the Reflector pack tanking a shot from behind (and Bellri freaking out for some reason?) to the other suit taking a chomp out of the shield (the instructor is freaking out too for some reason?), then a punch and then the killshot and then there's a Newtype moment or something? I'd attribute it to the G-Self acting on its own but Bellri struggling with denial makes it out to be him pulling the trigger.

Basically, what happened was, Dellensen figured out that activating the G-Self's reflector bits blinds it for a moment, so he used that chance to transform into Mobile Armor mode and get in front of the G-Self to attack it. When he tried to untransform back into Mobile Suit mode, the G-Self jammed its shield in between the Elf Bull's waist and caused it to rip itself apart with its own transformation mechanic. Dellensen panicked and tried to punch the G-Self, and Bellri dodged and shot back on impulse.

Pureauthor posted:

... Well, except that his flashbacks of him are about Dellensen beating or trying to beat him. You could find something nicer to think about, Bell!

EDIT: Yeah, well, Bellri's most recent memory of Dellensen was him trying to punch his mobile suit with his mobile suit, except instead of dodging and putting him in an armlock, this time, he accidentally melted him into space soup instead.

Ryas fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 31, 2014

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

But so far they've just been trying to take down the pirates and get their people back, and the pirates themselves are just trying to support the people of Ameria through raiding, to supplement their insufficient energy allotment.

I'm not sure about that. While Dellensen was on a mission to retrieve Bellri and the other captives from the Megafauna both times we've seen him sortie, when they sent out Mask, Mask seemed much more focused on eliminating the pirates than taking any prisoners back. As well, when the G-Self finally appears, Mask immediately attacks it while not even bothering to finish off the then-vulnerable Montero/Klim, and retreats not because he's been ordered to, but because he's gathered enough battle data, either from the Elf Bull or from the G-Self. It seems more likely the Colonel Cumpa is more interested in acquiring real battle data from forbidden technology and increasing the influence of the army than protecting the Capital and its citizens.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

John Carstairs posted:

Both Dellensen and Mask retreat when the G-Self does something they didn't know it could do. It looks like they're just being careful around it. And Mask's line about having the data from the battle sounded more like a "welp, at least I'm not going back empty-handed" to me rather than a major objective.

In the next episode, though, Dellensen asks Becker if they were ordered to pull back because the test-type of the production model of Elf Bulls were ready.

EDIT: Actually, in that scene, it seems Dellensen is actually asking Becker if he and his squad are sitting out on the mission in lieu of Mask's squad. Apparently a lot of the confusion that people have with this show can be blamed on the shoddy quality of the subs.

Ryas fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 31, 2014

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

The Reflector was cool as hell though, even if the name kind of lies about what it actually does (absorb, not reflect).
Actually, it seems like the reflector can either reflect or absorb the beams to power the suit. Bellri chose not to use the reflector function because the output was too powerful and he was afraid he'd accidentally end up killing the Capital Army pilot.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also Bellri and Dellensen suddenly know the other is their enemy because...
Dellensen recognized Bellri through the kid's incredible reflexes when he saw the G-Self immediately dodge his slap and then get into position to counter, just like his old pupil would dodge his lashings and grapple him. Bellri then heard his voice through the direct contact link created by the G-Self's rifle.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Another really weird scene was when Bell jumped into the gravitational pull to save Klim Nick (which I'm glad for, killing the two best characters of the series in a single episode could drive me to stop watching entirely). At first he reacts like he fully understood the Reflector (paraphrased, "the Reflector Gage is fully charged...with this, I can!"), then...he has no loving idea what he's doing and fully admits to it. Kind of contradicting there.
There's a scene before the sortie where Happa tells him about the Reflector gauge, the manual, and all that. I'm guessing Bellri knows what its function is from reading the manual, but has no idea how it actually works because Happa never explained it to him.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
Also, I know how much we like to talk about how often Aida's been crying here, but Klim Nick's been getting absolutely crushed whenever he fights anyone that's... well, anyone, and not a faceless mook in a grunt mobile suit, and it doesn't seem like the trend is stopping next episode. His reputation as a genius is at serious risk here.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
It's kind of odd that Dellensen and Mask are able to match or overpower Klim in a fight when neither of them are supposed to be experienced with real warfare, while Ameria and Gondowan have a 20 years headstart to rack up experienced pilots.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
I think Char's list of on-screen kills were 1 GM, Woody's hovercraft, and like two battleships later when he gets the Zeong, compared to Amuro's staggering record of something like 140 mobile suits and like 5 battleships, just from 0079.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

That's probably not how Bellri recognized Dellensen. I think it was hearing Dellensen's voice via the physical contact established with the beam rifle.

You're right, but that was how Dellensen recognized Bellri, who in turn recognized his voice from the direct contact link.

Pureauthor posted:

Also I can't decide how much the G-Self acts autonomously to protect it's pilot. It obviously moves on its own to some extent but if I were a pilot I'd be more spooked than anything by a machine that sometimes acts up without regard for what I actually want it to do. Aside from Aida in Ep 1 no one's really commented on it though.

Maybe it was the G-Self who killed Cahill and Dellensen, but Bellri believes he did it himself, because it's much more believable that he accidentally pulled the trigger in the heat of the moment than the mobile suit acting on its own.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
RE: Bellri's motivation for going with the pirates

Bellri is a guy who kind of just goes with the flow. He acts on impulse without really thinking about it or considering the consequences, because being a prodigy and a spoiled kid meant that nothing in his life really ever spiraled out of his control, so he tends to take reckless actions without hesitation, like when he attacked Aida and the G-Self with his Recten in the first episode. It was incredibly reckless of him to do so, but things worked out in his favor anyway.

So when Klim attacked the Capital and demanded the release of the G-Self and Aida, Colonel Cumpa told them where the G-Self was, which Bellri interpreted as the Colonel wanting to test Bellri's loyalty and capabilities. So he decides to go along with Aida because he's interested in her and the G-Self, and to spy on the pirates and determine whether they are pirates or an actual military detachment, before stealing the G-Self back and returning with it to the Capital. In order to do so, he played nice with the pirates in order to gain their trust, believing himself to be on this fun adventure, unaware that the Capital Army is using him as an excuse to ramp up their military.

Dellensen's death is a hell of a rude awakening for the kid, who's finally learning that not everything will go the way he wants it to, and that his actions and lack of discipline can result in real consequences, which is the lesson Dellensen was never able to teach him in life, succeeding only with his own death.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

Faltion posted:

I feel the same way. 5 episodes in and I wish I really knew what was going on. It's like if I'm playing a video game on one monitor and have youtube going on in the other and not really paying attention, except with this I am actively watching and still feel disconnected. There's been nothing in this show to endear me to any of the characters, to make me care if anyone dies, or give a poo poo about either of the factions. I can't even get excited about the tech because everyone is using crazy future technology compared to Gundam UC, but going about if it's no big deal. If this is a Gundam not for fans of Gundam I want to know who it's for so I can know how I am supposed to enjoy this.

I think the show's just lost you, there is nothing about this show that's hard to understand.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
I'm pretty sure the "grown for food" part is a mistranslation. It seems far more likely they they were an ethnic minority that were already getting poo poo on so when people got desperate they found it easier to eat people they were already demonizing. And now that everyone has food again they went back to making GBS threads on kuntala instead of making GBS threads them out.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

ManSedan posted:

Mask seems like a pretty cool guy to be around. He's so excited about everything he does.

Mask is very enthusiastic about his job, I love it. He's even got his Elf Bullock in the Gunbuster pose when you see him in formation with his team.

So hey, Mask's defining trait seems to be his ambition. How long before he tries to drop a couple of Nuts on the Capital to establish Kuntala supremacy?

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
It's not just the discrimination that makes Mask and his crew interesting, it's the possibility of a new sub-plot involving Mask being introduced. Mask is obviously not happy about the way they've been treated throughout their lives, and now the Capital's put together a kuntala-only army unit to be their guinea pigs in testing out forbidden technology in actual battle against veterans that have shredded through everything sent at them so far. I wouldn't be surprised if Mask attempted a coup somewhere down the line.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

Caros posted:

I'm utterly perplexed at the idea that anyone thinks mask and crew are anything more than cardboard cutouts. From what we've seen thus far mask is an utterly one dimensional character. I mean good on him for wanting to end racism against his nebulously defined people, but that is all he has going for him.

Actually, that he identifies as a kuntala first and foremost and uses it to rally his men says a lot about his character already. As does the fact that when he has the mask on he acts nothing like Luin does. Maybe Luin is the real masked identity, and Mask is who he really is?

Also Rau was even more one-dimensional through most of the show.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

tsob posted:

My point was that the only thing we've been shown so far is name calling. More than that, I wasn't even really trying to say anything about the kuntala themselves or that they weren't facing real discrimination (I even admitted next post that there most likely is more going on), only that we haven't been shown much in the way of discrimination.

I'd say the segregated kuntala-only unit the Capital is essentially throwing to the wolves is pretty evident of the discrimination the kuntala face.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

Caros posted:

And no, the fact that he identifies by his racial group when surrounded by a unit composed entirely of his racial group does not tell us a lot about his character. If he was a black man, in a unit of black men talking about how it was his chance for black men to show what they can do... that doesn't tell us anything about him, other than that he has pattern recognition. Of course he is going to use it to rally his men, its the one thing they have in common other than being in the army.

It helps reinforce that Kuntala's are a minority that are discriminated against, that I'll agree with. But it doesn't tell us much of anything about the type of person he is.

It tells us that he's proud of his heritage, and not ashamed. Plus, in that same scene, he agrees with the sentiment that the kuntala should rule over Capital Tower. I'm pretty certain that that scene was setting up Mask's own sub-plot and agenda, beyond just improving the kuntala's status, but we'll see.

Caros posted:

I'd say the segregated Kuntala-only unit that is being tasked with the destruction of the capital's enemies and rescue of the operations director's son, while being equipped with the newest and best equipment available is actually the opposite of being 'thrown to the wolves'.

You'd have a point if they were being sent out in garbage mobile suits, or used as diversionary cannon fodder, but they aren't. They are well equipped, well supplied and given every advantage. By comparison, the first operation to rescue Bellri was mounted by only a single Elf-whatever and a bunch of Cait Siths which are visibly less powerful.

Hell its worth pointing out that until he told them, Mask's unit didn't know he was a Kuntala. He said:

Which implies that this is less of a segregated only unit and more of a "Hey, turns out we're all Kuntala. If we do really well it will reflect well on Kuntala. Lets do a good job."

They also have no combat experience and they're being thrown against the elite unit of an army that has been at war for 20 years. The only reason they're being given all these cool new toys is so the Research Division can test them out and gather battle data to unleash even more forbidden technology. "Destroying the Capital's enemies and rescuing the director's son" is an obvious sham and they couldn't care less about that. And, seriously? "Turns out we're all kuntala?" A kuntala leading a unit comprised entirely of kuntala does not happen by coincidence.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
Maybe "thrown to the wolves" is too strong of a way to put it, but it's pretty obvious they're being used as guinea pigs for all the cool new toys the Capital has access to now.

Also, the two times Dellensen was sent to sortie, Mask's squad were either non-existent or couldn't sortie. The first time the Army sent out Dellensen it was because the production model of the Elf Bullock wasn't ready. As soon as it was ready to be tested, Dellensen was relegated to the sidelines, which he complained about. The second time he sorties is right after Mask blew his first mission, getting his unit heavily damaged and needing repairs. Also the Megafauna was heading to space, where following them from within the atmosphere was impossible, and presumably it's not very easy to transport over a dozen Elf Bullocks to one of the Nuts, but it IS easy to transport one elite pilot to one of the Nuts where his prototype Elf Bull is waiting.

The Capital Army isn't stupid nor are they cartoon villain-levels of evil. They're practical. Assuming the kuntala-only unit was formed on the basis of segregation, that doesn't mean the Capital will send them out specifically to get them killed. Whether they live or die, the Capital benefits from their battle. If they manage to capture the G-Self, then that's great, have it sent over to the Research Division for further testing. If they all get eradicated, then oh well, at least they have the battle data and only a bunch of worthless kuntala got killed.

Also it's pretty drat suspicious what they're doing with Mask's unit in the first place. Luin Lee was a Cadet in the Capital Guard until literally just a few days ago, when Dellensen recommended his transfer to the Army, yet as soon as he joins he's not only given a new prototype to test out, but his own unit and a spiffy new mask. Something definitely reeks here, and Mask probably thinks so too, given that he looked into the backgrounds of all his men and found that they were kuntala like him.

And "ruling over the Capital" means either placing kuntala/kuntala sympathizers in high places or forcefully taking the government over, neither of which says kind things about the stuff that kuntala are subject to.

But maybe I'm biased because I already know that the kuntala breach a subject that Tomino wants to preach about, which came up in a pre-show interview before it started airing.

Yoshiyuki Tomino posted:

-The [Kuntala] are the people who became food when mankind turned to cannibalism at the brink of extinction. They represent the problem of racism, the horrors of the collapse of society, and the depths of human sin.
-(Why go so far?) Because children in puberty watch anime. From Triton I learned that there's a strong possibility of anime speaking to children in puberty. Even if it's fantasy, a good story will make the viewer think of how to apply what they have learned to real life. There is a circuit in there that leads to the real world.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
Oh, and another thing that happened this episode that I think deserves a little attention is the fact that Ameria waited until they were in direct conflict with the Capital before unveiling their giant new deathweapon. They must have been planning this for a long time.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

Caros posted:

Yeah. Keep in mind that unless she read the script, Aida did not know in advance what the outcome of that battle was going to be. For all she knew the Amorzagan was going to get shot down at any moment. Or reinforcements were going to arrive, or the Amorzagan was going to have problems with its weapons (which it did) or one of the Cait Siths was going to poke its head over the ridgeline.

Aida got out of her fully functional mobile suit to run down and give daddy a hug and have a sit down on the beach barely a few hundred feet away from an active battlefield.

Except Aida's been shown to be totally unprofessional and unused to war, given her reaction to Captain Cahill's death. Klim, on the other hand, was barking orders and eager to get back into the air as soon as he was resupplied with the weapons that were destroyed in the last episode.

You have this impression of Aida being some kind of elite pilot, when in fact the Megafauna has been reluctant to send her out into battle, dragging their feet with completing the G-Arcane, giving her the least dangerous job during the Crown battery theft operation, and generally trying to keep her away from the frontlines where she could have been easily killed. From the way she's been presented it's clear that she's passionate about the Amerian government's goals but clearly idealistic and naive. She's been overcompensating because she feels that it was her mistake that led to Captain Cahill's death, but in this episode it was clear that her overzealousness to prove herself nearly led her to murder an innocent person.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

Caros posted:

Okay, so Aida is naive. Why didn't... let me just go down the list: Klim Nick, Bellri (ha), Her Dad, The random Base Jabber Pilots, The technicians or literally anyone else involved in that scene stop and go "Uh, hey Aida we're kinda sitting ducks out here. Since you're the only one still armed it might behoove you to actually stay in the cockpit, if only because it might discourage some random grunt pilot from instantly murdering all of us if he sees us."

I like how you completely ignore the fact that as soon as Klim landed (an -actual- veteran from the Ameria-Gondowan war) he immediately ordered one of the Fly-Schop pilots to go to the recently vacated Jahannam to keep watch while the G-Self was being re-equipped with the new backpack, -and- leaves to support Mick Jack soon as the Montero is rearmed, expressly out of fear that the lone Armorzagan holding off the enemy might be overpowered. Sure helps build your narrative, doesn't it?

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
The thing about Mask, really, isn't that he failed. In fact, if it weren't for a literal Deus Ex Machina in the form of Armorzagan, that mission would likely have gone in his favor, which makes his derision among the non-kuntala soldiers at his failure sting even worse.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
Oh man, GriMontero looks so cool. Pity it didn't make it into the show.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

Caros posted:

Okay. So why didn't he also order (or ask) Aida, the woman in the fully equipped, top of the line mobile suit to also keep watch instead of going down to have a drink with her dad? Did he think "Meh, that one guy in a grunt mobile suit can probably turn the tide against the stuff that wrecked the G-self? Or did he just think that Aida is so startlingly incompetent that it really isn't even worth bothering to keep her in her mobile suit because she'll add nothing to the battle?

Because Aida isn't a soldier, and as far as he's concerned, Aida really has been so useless so far that he considers her a burden instead of a support. Look at how quickly he warmed up to Bellri when he displayed exceptional skill. The Megafauna crew in general have been trying to keep Aida away from the frontlines for a while now, and why should that change when she hasn't shown any improvements so far? The entire rearming sequence for the Montero took under a minute before he flew off again, far quicker than it took the G-Self to equip the Tricky Backpack.

quote:

If it weren't Deus Ex Machina in the form of Klim Nick deciding to launch a brain damaged teenager in the Gundam (who isn't bellri) then Bellri probably would have just flown out and kicked the crap out of the Elf like he'd done the last three times he launched against that suit.

Except no. Klim had Raraiya pilot the G-Self before they had come under attack. If he knew they were under attack by unidentified units he would never have taken the G-Self out of the hangar. It's just that he's had the bad luck of the Capital Army attacking him while he was just trying out some stuff, not intending to actually engage. And Bellri didn't exactly make a huge difference either; when he tried to fight Mask he ended up just getting his flight pack damaged, while the rest of the Megafauna's mobile suits were damaged, outmatched and outnumbered. If it weren't for the Armorzagan showing up to break up the fight for a bit, the Megafauna crew would have been in serious trouble.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

Eiba posted:

SU-Cordism, Kashiba Mikoshi, moon, etc blah blah blah

The SU-Cordists bring photon batteries to the Capital Tower from the holy land of Towasanga. In this episode, Bellri's mother revealed to us that the photon batteries are manufactured and given to the Capital Tower from a facility on the moon known as Kashiba Mikoshi. Lalaiya shows a strange recognition of the word Towasanga when she hears it, and Bellri deduces that she is from Towasanga because she appears to be used to wearing a spacesuit. Towasanga, the land of the holy SU-Cordists, is the moon. The Capital Tower connects the Earth to the moon. Ameria's observation of the moon has revealed that other man-made facilities on the moon have popped up in recent years, to a very large extent as we can see from the photograph.

This is the "threat from space" that Ameria and the Capital are fearing -- there's some kind of expansion effort going on there, possibly preparation and military build-up for an invasion of some kind. At the same time there's this taboo against astronomical observation. Director Wilmett is mortified by the possibility that the very SU-Cordists that the Capital reveres would turn on them and destroy them.

Ryas fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 15, 2014

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
The pan up on everyone at the end, finishing with the space pope making a weird hand gesture was too much for me. I couldn't stop laughing.

Great episode, though, I loved all the idyllic scenery in this one.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

Raxivace posted:

So what's with all that particle poo poo surrounding the G-Self this episode? Think it will be plot relevant a la GN Particles, or is it just a stylistic choice?

Photon Armor. Apparently it's supposed to be more durable yet even lighter than Gundarium armor. Also, the manual for the HG G-Arcane apparently notes that Ameria was unable to replicate the photon armor technology from the G-series blueprints.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

So what is the G-Arcane, then? An imperfect Amerian design based off the Rose of Hermes blueprints, as opposed to a genuine article like the G-Self?

Yes, actually. The one that Aida is piloting right now is Unit 1. Supposedly there will be a Unit 2 later with the Photon frame working properly, which will probably be around the time Aida actually becomes competent.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

Jegan Ace posted:

I think I have a massive crush on Luan, the Megafauna's sexilicious helms(wo)man.

Luan is one of the (two remaining) Grimoire pilots. Steer is the helmswoman with the amazing English voice.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

Jegan Ace posted:

That's the one, thank you.

Also, I wasn't a fan of the Wuxia design. Caitsiths are growing on me each episode though.

Well say goodbye, apparently this episode will be the last time we see Caithsiths in this series. The Wuxia will be replacing them from here on.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
I like the Wuxia, personally. I think it's supposed to parallel the shift from the GM to the Zeonicish designs adopted by the Titans mobile suits. I fully expect Becker to return with a not-Hambrabi later on. Or it could be wishful thinking, I love that thing.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
Klim is supposed to be the Ramba Ral analogue, I believe, with Mick Jack as Hamon Crowley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
I'm surprised no one commented about Mask's line about Bellri.

"No matter where I go, that grade-skipper keeps getting in my way."

To me it seems like Luin had a lot of resentment for Bellri, who's coasting along life on his genius and having a mother in a high place, unlike Luin who had to struggle against a racial stigma all his life. Back in the second episode that one school bully rear end in a top hat accused Luin of being friends with Bellri only to earn brownie points with the Capital Guard's director, but since then we've seen that pride and ambition are Mask's defining traits. He's a lot like Char, in that aspect, and remember what Char did? He approached Garma Zabi due to his family connection, and befriended him in order to further his own goals. It seems like "Mask's" true personality only surfaces when he hides behind a mask.

• Locked thread