Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hey guys, I fast-forwarded past the lovely part of the thread where everyone was whining about fast-forwarding past the lovely part of the show, did I miss anything important?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

So it'll be called '23' and we'll get endless Jack Bauer jokes in the trade press?

Or it'll be called "13" and people will wonder where all the Romans are.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Narcissus1916 posted:

Ah, that's what I would have guessed.

I'm happy that the flash is tackling time travel since its such a huge part of the character (and to be fair, pretty much the entire DC universe loves their alt. universe stories). But I've read enough comics to know that "Character rewinds things!" is the lazarus pits of lovely comic writing.

If only those events still had relevance in multiple ways going forward and it wasn't actually a lazy reset button like you keep saying.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Deadpool posted:

It was just the writers saying, we can just write anything we want and it doesn't matter because we can undo it and that's a scary thing for them to pull out on the very first instance of time travel.

All of that stuff did matter as shown in the very next episode so there's actually nothing to be afraid of? And the writers actually directly said that those events do and will matter so...

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

McCloud posted:

Batman was given a ring by Hal Jordan as "therapy", to get over his parents murder. Here's how that unfolded.

His unwillingness to get over his parents aside, during his first use of the ring he was able to conjure up a swarm of bats and his parents. Green Arrow tried to use the ring once and all he could muster up was a single arrow, and that took everything he had. He was exhausted afterwards. So a batman with a power ring should not be underestimated. He actually got offered a yellow power ring. It was searching earth for the scariest mother fucker it could find, and went for Batman. Batmans willpower overpowered the ring though, and it went searching for another candidate.

Did Geoff Johns write this? This feels like Johns' usual wanking off to Hal Jordan, the Green Arrow one was even better because Ollie's willpower was "too cynical" or some copout like that. In the past Hal used to hand out duplicate rings like candy and regular shmucks had no problem flying and doing basic hologram/construct stuff, he pulled poo poo like that all the time and it sure as hell didn't take "quit cold turkey a three-packs-a-day smoking habit" levels of willpower (another hyperbolic overstatement of how hard it is to pass Power Ring 101, basically the Flash's "I see things that happen in less than an attosecond" for GLs).

This is why you don't actually want that many comic book writers working on your other comic book-based properties.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

That stuff about willpower and difficulty and all that was all established by Kyle Rayner stories.

GL worship didn't start with Hal (let's take a few hours to talk about all the "Kyle is Space Neo" hints and arcs, or not) but it sure got more obnoxious with him.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Polaron posted:

So in light of the big Thawne/Cisco conversation a few episodes ago, I went back to watch the Flash/Reverse Flash STAR Labs fight and man something else has to be going on there. Wells starts out talking to the recording, all well and good. Then he gets pulled into the force field and beat up and I guess he could be moving fast enough to be injuring himself while making it look like the recording is doing it or something.

Then Joe kills the force field, Reverse Flash drops Wells, steals the tachyon whatsit, comes back and begins beating the hell out of the cops, at which point Barry arrives and attacks him.

Somewhere in there Wells managed to change places with his injured self and go put on the costume behind the voice-activated barrier, but I'm not sure when.

Maybe I'm just tired but it feels like a piece is missing.

Just throw in a Speed Mirage placeholder for the KO'd Wells and everything's good.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Polaron posted:

He keeps moving around, though.

If you pay close attention to the sequence where Wells displays the Speed Mirage ability for Cisco, the afterimage stops moving once established. It's not him moving so fast as to be in two places at once, it's more like a holographic slide projection.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Polaron posted:

That's my point. Wells keeps moving around during the scene at Star Labs.

Actually, no. You don't see Wells moving any more after Reverse Flash ganks the tachyon device. You see him in the background during the police beatdown but he seems to have the same pose the entire time. So I guess that's when the switch was made? But he's in costume when he grabs the device, and you see the Wells on the floor react to the device getting stolen :psyduck:

Maybe the RF and the tachyon device are all projections from the forcefield generator? Everything from RF being trapped through RF beating on Wells and then stealing the generator happens with no interaction between anyone else but them, it could all be part of Wells' scripted event sequence. When RF takes the generator and disappears Wells could make a mirage image of his unconscious body and then come back in the yellow suit to beat on the cops, free and clear.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sekkira posted:

I still find it highly amusing to read up on what would actually happen if the flash did thing. Such as I'm sure he'd shoot off the planet just by any super fast acceleration he pulls off all the time.

I've always wanted to see a fictional world where people have superpowers but without the usual caveats that negate the logical downsides. For example, the Flash and most other speedsters are essentially portrayed as time manipulators and not just extremely fast people. They can do normal things at hypervelocity while simultaneously perceiving the world in slow motion, like fast-forwarding a video recording but also pausing on a precise frame, which is pretty much the exact opposite of how increasing physical speed and reacting to rapid events actually works.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Deadpool posted:

Erica Durance was awesome. Best Lois Lane ever.

Are you making GBS threads me, two better Loises were voice acted.

Durance was great for Smallville, but the taint of that operating phrase can never be erased. For Smallville. For Smallville.

Search your conveniently-concussed, meteor rock-charged, red K-excused feelings. You know it to be forever stained.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 7, 2015

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

THAT'S NOT HER NAME!

Rarity posted:

Am I the only one who hates this meme?

Am I the only one who's never heard of this meme?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

greatn posted:

Call him Bowfinger

The Harpy :rolleye:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Solaris Knight posted:

Let's see who REALLY is the thief.

I CALLED IT, IT WAS LEX LUTHOR

Lex Luthor's VA stole forty gold bars! That's as much as four tons. And that's terrible.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

At least this means Dr Zoom can still come back and mess with Flash.

This could be how Tom Cavanaugh comes back! In the new timeline the Flash Museum in the future has a display about Reverse Flash and all ultimately unsuccessful time shenanigans, the Thawne of that era learns how the Flash royally hosed over his birthright and goes back for revenge. But first, a quick stop to the 25th-century face barber to get done up like his famous cousin erased from history...

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Did I hear correctly that Prof. Stein said Barry would have to generate 6.2 tera-electronvolts to close the black hole about to destroy Earth? Because a TeV can be generated by a hilariously small amount of mechanical power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Timett posted:

I'm only 10 minutes into the episode but I don't really like Flashdad's "everything happened for a reason" bullshit especially because what happened to them was some time travelers coming around and changing history to begin with.

The dude's been in prison for 15 years for a crime he didn't commit and he's only got two things to live for, his son and the heartfelt belief that it's somehow all for the best in the end. His pained expression of "I have to believe that" says it all, as terrible as it is it's the world he knows and made peace with, he's simply afraid of rolling the dice again and getting something even worse.

• Locked thread