Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Whiteycar posted:

I wasn't being ironic. gently caress making a profit off essential services.

I hate to tangentially agree with you know who, but I think this is the wrong way to go about it. Partly because of the debate over what counts as an essential service, but also because government intervention in the economy (which is by no means a bad thing!) should consider the exact market structure it's entering. Public Goods are a default area for government involvement, and I'd say infrastructure heavy markets like electricity generation, the telecom sector, and many types of insurance should also be the government's business. But price signalling still is a true and good thing; it works well in food distribution, which realistically is also an essential service in this day and age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

PT6A posted:

I know my post wasn't phrased perfectly, but I was referring just to the value-based taxes instead of the quantity-based taxes, which, I believe is specifically what Rutibex was responding to in the post I quoted. I get that smokers and drinkers need to pay for the externalities we cause, but I don't see why my decision to smoke a more expensive cigar versus a cheaper cigar of the same size means I need to pay an additional, very punitive sin tax. I am doing the same amount of damage to myself and society.

Because Progressive Taxation.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

most people drink because they want alcohol molecules in their bloodstreams. if you're looking for a good tasting liquid why not drink orange juice or some poo poo.

Can't I want both?

What I really want a good Hefeweizen to become popular enough to get common carriage in various establishments. Belgian Wits have been making headway, which gives me some hope. Not Shock Top though, holy poo poo that stuff is gross.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Has anybody ever used that service where you essentially hire a DD to drive your car home for you? I loving love that idea in theory, but I've just never heard of anybody using it, so I don't want to either.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

It's prohibitively expensive I think because you need two drivers and a car with every call, one to drive you home and one to drive the other guy wherever you are. At that point, a cab is always way cheaper.

Yeah, I don't doubt that the cab would be cheaper, it would have to be, but a cab ride home from downtown is already in the $50 range for me, so if it's a modest cost increase I wouldn't be too upset. It would just save me the hassle of having to go get it again in the morning. It's also not something that happens more than once a year, so whatever.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

...Uber and Uber-likes could have been developed by these near monopolies. They didn't.

I don't understand how this doesn't exist yet. Surely the taxi companies can at least put together an app that allows me to call a cab, and then provides updates on when it will arrive.

PittTheElder has issued a correction as of 22:16 on Oct 7, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

lonelywurm posted:

And it was Hungary.

Although I'm pretty sure it's not only Hungary. Hungary is definitely the worst offender, but from what I gather anti-Roma sentiment is pretty high throughout south eastern Europe right now.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Whiskey Sours posted:

Pretty much:

It's worth pointing out that Israel has by far the highest rate of venture capital investment in the world, but somehow ranks 55th in the world in economic freedom.

It's like the definition of FYGM.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

swagger like us posted:

The domestic threat [posed by ISIS] is way bigger than anything we have seen before.

What evidence does anyone have for this? ISIS is essentially just the Taliban of 1994, there's no reason to think they're super organization unlike we've ever seen before. It's the type of organization that can and should be rooted out, but air raids are not going to accomplish that, nor are we willing to spend the kind of money that will be required.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

swagger like us posted:

Re-read my post, the evidence is in there. ISIS is not the Taliban of 1994 because there is a huge number of western foreign fighters. These fighters, once they come home, aren't just going to retire and have a home with 2.5 kids and a white picket fence.

Why are westerners different? The Taliban had tons of overseas support, most notably from Arabia (on top of Pakistani involvement of course).

And who says they're all going to come home? Perhaps ISIS will succeed in establishing itself somewhere, in which case they might well sit tight. If ISIS fails, they may very well die. Even if they do all come home, this is the point you have to consider:

ocrumsprug posted:

This is a problem, but this is not a problem that you can solve with a military.

The way to combat terrorism isn't to try and blow them up in some foreign land, it's to understand where these people come from, what's radicalising them, fixing those problems, and then through vigilant police action at home.

And that's leaving aside the whole question of whether terrorism is even that big of a deal. It barely kills anyone outside of local conflict zones.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ashley Madison posted:

If anyone wants to sign up for iPolitics and has access to their college/university email account, use the promo code STU1415 and it's free for this school year.

This just worked with my alumni account too.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Vermain posted:

How do they keep consistently overshooting their estimates like this? What sort of bizarre metrics are being used?

Probably politics. If you just assume that the price of oil will be higher, then provincial royalties are higher, and your budget looks better.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Everybody has been evacuated out of the core anyway, nobody is holing up in the dark down there.

E: wait, I'm probably missing the joke too. Someone explain?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Rime posted:

There was a large arguemeny last thread where PT6A vehemently claimed that downtown businesses should have remained open during the flooding and that people who stayed home from work were fools.

I remember that, I was just wondering about the context of the copied post.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Hey, it's downtown Calgary. We'll sell you Monster energy drinks, cash, by candlelight.

(Kay's is one of the best 'small' - not independent - grocery stores in the city.)

Surely they're lined up around the block, making money hand over fist?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

A 10% flat tax.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Why does this even have anything to do with Nenshi? He's the mayor, but this isn't really his purview. All he can do is pass on information, and yell at people and maybe get that time shaved down, but probably not.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Lester B. Pearson posted:

Maybe I am dumb but how would they benefit from a lower oil price?

The article says lower prices now mean less investments in startup extraction projects, which means more profit in the medium term. That or they're particularly pissed off at some local oil-producing rival, and thinks a price cut will hurt them more.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Wait, no, I mean close the borders, it's the only way to be safe. :byodood:

When in doubt, move to Madagascar and close the port.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

drat that Nenshi, warning us that the outage might have been longer than it was. We have the market to thank for this! :freep:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Have you ever stopped to consider that maybe CP deserved to have someone yell at them? What they were doing was pretty loving reckless, and you can be drat sure neither of the other two branches of government were going to do anything about it.

Really the same goes for the property developer lobby, those guys aren't doing our city any favours, and their effective lobbying is costing you, inner city tax payer, quite a bit of money.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Five loving percent? Even leaving aside all the loopholes, that's still atrociously low.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Rime posted:

The reluctance of Canada to become a world-leader in any sort of technological breakthrough these days, especially nuclear, is quite befuddling.

No it isn't, that sort of technological innovation would require the government having the funds available to fund a robust scientific research economy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

MA-Horus posted:

CP24 keeps saying "NHL says too soon to say if Leafs and Sens will play tonight"

WHO. THE. gently caress. CARES.

The correct opinion.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Rime posted:

Jesus christ, all I did was express concern at how this would impact the future of the country.

Nobody feels bad that increased anti-terrorism measures will prevent a coup d'etat in what remains a strongly democratic country, please leave.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Generation Internet posted:

The entire reason we were in Afghanistan for 13 years was in response to the worst single attack against innocent civilians since WWII. We went there on the faulty assumptions that you can somehow reform an entire country to an idealized liberal democracy quickly and cleanly, and that you can prevent extremist attacks on civilians everywhere by force of arms alone in an isolated underdeveloped part of the world, but once we were there there was a commitment to attempt to improve the quality of life for people living there. Characterizing it as 'bombing out' a country for over a decade is unfair to the people who were there actually attempting to make a change and flat out untrue. Obviously there was nothing perfect about our involvement and things could have been handled better, but I don't believe we're a bully nation for our role there. The implication that somehow we had this coming simply because we were there is offensive.

The sense I get from this is that you're perceiving Canada as a bully simply because we're a western nation that had the gall to step outside our borders at a time when that was seen as the most proactive solution to a very real problem.

I think the bolded portion is pretty wrong. I'm not trying to disparage the efforts of the guys who were there, I'm sure most of them had good intentions. But you really do have to look at this in the wider context of what our governments were planning to achieve. You can't just waltz into a country that's seen a quarter century of civil war, becoming impoverished in the process, and then expect to have everything turn out well.

You can say that our governments assumed everything would turn out fine, but that's essentially gross negligence, and it doesn't let them off the hook. We probably could have turned Afghanistan into at least a secure, functioning, democratic state (probably not a western liberal democracy), but it would have required a massive investment, both in capital, and in personnel, many of whom likely would have died in the process. Neither our governments nor the population at large were willing to support anything on the scale required, and I'd say that means we had no damned business being there in the first place.

And that's to say nothing of how properly sorting out Afghanistan also would have involved properly sorting out Pakistan, a nuclear armed state run by its intelligence agency, utterly paranoid of it's much more powerful neighbour, and active state sponsor of terrorist organizations.

e: Although I have to say I disagree with Greenwald, I doubt our overseas adventures have really made us any more of a target than we would have been anyway. But I'm also not sure why anyone is still talking about today's incident and ISIS in the same sentence, we have exactly zero evidence at this stage that the former has anything to do with the latter.

Kafka Esq. posted:

I don't think everyone was reading the same article I was - Greenwald rightfully pointed out that the statists were going to use a one-off attack on soldiers in a parking lot as the Canadian come-to-Jesus moment on terrorism. He points out that if Canadians can't expect a little counter-violence to their violence across the world, recognize it, and accept that our adventuring will have costs that shouldn't be used as pretext to go kill more innocent civilians elsewhere, then we should get out of the adventuring game altogether.

I do agree with this general sentiment though. We in the West need to get to a point where we can sensibly react to terrorist acts without comically overreacting. In the grand scheme of things, September 11th barely killed anyone. When Americans collectively decided to flip their lids about it, they truly did let the terrorists win. It was an absolutely tragedy to be sure, but that's no reason to let it define two decades of foreign policy.

PittTheElder has issued a correction as of 20:54 on Oct 22, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

JawKnee posted:

you might call it our burden to bear, right?

:golfclap:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

If all violence is terrorism, then we don't have to commit sociology to classify it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

He is very obviously being sarcastic.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Communocracy posted:

I'm gonna take a moment away from calling for the heads of middle eastern children to ask about this relatively mundane NIMBY issue. Can any of you science/energy/pollution minded goons tell me if the town residents had a real complaint here or are they getting up in arms about nothing? To me, it seems like somebody just read the word 'hydrogen' in the plant's description and yelled "MY GOD, THAT'S A CHEMICAL, RIGHT?" but I don't actually know. From reading about it briefly, hydrogen fuel cells seem like a pretty good thing overall, yes?

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/10/21/canadian_tire_suspends_hydrogen_project_after_star_story.html

Yeah, seems super tame. Hydrogen is explosive, but not in any special way. As long as you're taking reasonable precautions, it's probably safer than say, a gas station, where you'd have long term concerns about fuel leeching into the soil. Nothing I'm finding online specifies how they would have produced the hydrogen had they chosen to do so on site, but it'd probably be by electrolysis which is relatively harmless.

Overall it's just an industrial chemical that requires you to take appropriate safety measures, but there's no real long term concerns which is nice. However it sounds like there's a dispute over exactly what the authorities were told. If safety regulators or the fire department didn't know about the presence of large quantities of hydrogen, that's a serious public safety risk, but not one specific to hydrogen.

Hydrogen fuel cells are indeed pretty cool, though when thinking about it from a carbon footprint perspective you do of course need to consider how it was produced in the first place.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

That whole area should be farmland really. Destroy all suburbia, at least the sprawl on prime farmland.
It's too late for that now; the construction of those suburbs will have destroyed the conditions that made it useful farmland in the first place.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

lazy gently caress had to jack a car to drive like 200m ? If he walked calmly and quickly and didn't flail his gun around he probably would have made it much further.

He was probably operating under the assumption that the House guards are armed, and just running the 200m with a gun would have got him shot in short order.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

PT6A posted:

All I'm saying, because I'm a radical atheist oval office, is that I'd support secular dictatorship over a democracy that favours theocracy.

:negative:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

JoelJoel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrkgV5bl7kQ

:canada:

Circumstance and scope aside, and despite the hostility towards nationalism espoused here, it is a sad day.

I do not understand why The Trews are so popular.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

FowlTheOwl posted:

Will they arm the soldiers in the future to allow them to respond, or would it just be to risky?

Honestly I'm surprised they're armed at all, other than with a holstered sidearm maybe. I don't know that it would be all that risky, given that the guys picked are all military, and probably among the most reliable in the crop. Might just be a big bureaucratic thing, I don't know what sorts of administrative safeguards the forces have to ensure ammunition isn't going missing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

HookShot posted:

A big personality like him? SURELY they spoke to at least one lawyer before making that decision, and if they really did make the decision based entirely on "well he's into BDSM..." well I have a hard time believing any lawyer or even HR person wouldn't have just shut that idea down.

Yeah, there's clearly something more serious than 'BDSM sure is weird, anybody could tell you firing somebody for that isn't going to end well.

Even if higher ups at CBC just had some grudge against him, you'd think they would have cut him a few months ago when the big budget cuts came down.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Cultural Imperial posted:

What I want to know is what the gently caress were the CBC paying jian so that he could lawyer the gently caress up like he was japan in pearl harbour

This simile doesn't make any sense.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Heavy neutrino posted:

Goldman Sachs predicts oil will fall to $70/barrel in 2015

Gee I wonder who's going to pay for upcoming budget shortfalls. I sure hope it won't be teachers, students and public servants :angel:

I keep hoping that one of these rampant price swings will eventually force the people of this province to accept that oil revenue can't replace broad base taxation, and that deficits aren't categorically bad. But who am I kidding...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

I really don't understand why we need counting machines at all. For Montreal municipal elections, we elect multiple positions, each on a separate ballot, shove them all in the same box (3-5 ballots per voter, depending on the area), and then we hand count them in about half an hour and it's fine?

Exactly. I've never understood the drive to put everything onto one ballot, and the quest for mechanized vote counting that derives there from. I guess it would still be annoying to count if you had 200 people running for mayor or some drat thing, but that's a good sign you should probably tighten the requirements.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Poizen Jam posted:

I have to go with Jordan on this one. I'm not a fan of May, but if we don't allow our politicians to hone up to their mistakes and change their opinions in the face of evidence, without painting it as a sign of weakness, then we're promoting a political climate of ideologues and platitudes rather than honest discourse.

Yeah, we've got more than enough legitimate reasons to dislike May, no reason to latch on to something she clearly didn't mean.

Also, a Moxy Fruvous song just came up in my randomized playlist. Don't see what everyone has against them. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

colonel_korn posted:

It's pretty conspicuous that the statement only talks about a relationship with one woman while the Star story claimed there were at least three.

Four. Supposedly he also managed to sexually assault a women while at work.

flakeloaf posted:

Ghomeshi told the CBC he was into kink and that his exes might allege he was violent or abusive. CBC doesn't care.
From the other side of the wall, someone alleges that Ghomeshi is into kink and was violent and abusive towards her.
CBC reacts based on this allegation and fires him.

The legal side of my brain must not be working today because I can't see how this case will work: CBC will simply claim that their firing was inspired by the allegations made by his ex and the risk of further problems for CBC's reputation when the public reacts to the allegations and demands his firing anyway. That's entirely different from "you told us in confidence that you're into kink HEY EVERYBODY WE'RE FIRING HIM CAUSE HE LIKES CHOKEY-SEX".

I'm guessing the whole case is going to hinge on the claim in Paragraph 17, namely that the CBC has independently investigated the claims as presented to them, and determined that there was no lack of consent involved. Evidently this lead Ghomeshi to conclude he was then fired based on "HE LIKES CHOKEY-SEX".

Of course, I have no idea how the CBC's legal team would actually investigate whether consent was actually present, or whether that was just based on whatever evidence Ghomeshi showed them, and if something new came to light that lead to his dismissal.

PittTheElder has issued a correction as of 18:41 on Oct 28, 2014

• Locked thread