Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

infernal machines posted:

Quebec? Maybe Vancouver too, I hear he lived there for a while.

Hmm, so did Luca Magnotta.

Speaking of whom, isn't that trial on now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Most of Vancouver's problems are imported from a rotten suburb where they don't believe in the correct things.

Feel free to carpet bomb Surrey please.

e: I have studied this issue thoroughly and have concluded it is for their own good.

ocrumsprug has issued a correction as of 22:03 on Oct 23, 2014

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

ocrumsprug posted:

Most of Vancouver's problems are imported from a rotten suburb where they don't believe in the correct things.

no don't i live there :ohdear:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
it's for your own good, you'll see (maybe)

also do you even have running water in Surrey or what?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Bilirubin posted:

Hmm, so did Luca Magnotta.

Speaking of whom, isn't that trial on now?

Yes, I believe so. I've only seen snippets of headlines about the trial so far though.

ocrumsprug posted:

e: I have studied this issue thoroughly and have concluded it is for their own good.

Yes, as the wise, sage, and morally superior PT6a has decreed we are honour bound to bomb them into the stone age for harbouring terrorists.

Have no mercy and spare none, that their extremist creed might die out with them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Communocracy posted:

I'm gonna take a moment away from calling for the heads of middle eastern children to ask about this relatively mundane NIMBY issue. Can any of you science/energy/pollution minded goons tell me if the town residents had a real complaint here or are they getting up in arms about nothing? To me, it seems like somebody just read the word 'hydrogen' in the plant's description and yelled "MY GOD, THAT'S A CHEMICAL, RIGHT?" but I don't actually know. From reading about it briefly, hydrogen fuel cells seem like a pretty good thing overall, yes?

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/10/21/canadian_tire_suspends_hydrogen_project_after_star_story.html

Yeah, seems super tame. Hydrogen is explosive, but not in any special way. As long as you're taking reasonable precautions, it's probably safer than say, a gas station, where you'd have long term concerns about fuel leeching into the soil. Nothing I'm finding online specifies how they would have produced the hydrogen had they chosen to do so on site, but it'd probably be by electrolysis which is relatively harmless.

Overall it's just an industrial chemical that requires you to take appropriate safety measures, but there's no real long term concerns which is nice. However it sounds like there's a dispute over exactly what the authorities were told. If safety regulators or the fire department didn't know about the presence of large quantities of hydrogen, that's a serious public safety risk, but not one specific to hydrogen.

Hydrogen fuel cells are indeed pretty cool, though when thinking about it from a carbon footprint perspective you do of course need to consider how it was produced in the first place.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

JawKnee posted:

it's for your own good, you'll see (maybe)

also do you even have running water in Surrey or what?

No. :(

Maybe you can could rebuild Surrey with things like indoor plumbing once the eradication is complete?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

SoggyBobcat posted:

No. :(

Maybe you can could rebuild Surrey with things like indoor plumbing once the eradication is complete?

That whole area should be farmland really. Destroy all suburbia, at least the sprawl on prime farmland.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/war-on-isis-us-planning-to-bomb-oil-pipelines-to-halt-jihadists-funding-9813980.html

The bombings are a short term solution that will attempt to temporarily destroy the funding and growth of an extremist group but has absolutely nothing to do with creating a functioning country in the future.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

That whole area should be farmland really. Destroy all suburbia, at least the sprawl on prime farmland.
It's too late for that now; the construction of those suburbs will have destroyed the conditions that made it useful farmland in the first place.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

I would approve of both of these.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Seriously is anyone going to weep if a wedding in surrey gets bombed? God be praised.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cultural Imperial posted:

Seriously is anyone going to weep if a wedding in surrey gets bombed? God be praised.

Really, if you have a wedding in Surrey and it gets hit by a drone strike, it's your own drat fault for harbouring terrorists at your wedding.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
^ - Indeed

Cultural Imperial posted:

I feel bad about it, but they have been exporting too much garbage over the Skytrain into decent communities like Burnaby, and like cancer just need to be cut out. Don't miss any or else it comes back, so make sure they get Cloverdale too.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Hey! This is a Canadian thread, god drat it!

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Anyone see the surveillance footage the RCMP released of the guy making it on to Parliament Hill?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ottawa-shooting-michael-zehaf-bibeau-s-movements-revealed-by-rcmp-video-1.2810673

Watching it all I can think of is how much worse things could have been. He runs by countless other people that he could have easily killed. I guess he was focused on getting into the building.

Also in addition to the sergeant-at-arms, this guy should be getting some recognition:

quote:

Inside those Centre Block doors, Const. Samearn Son, a 10-year veteran of the Commons security team, was the first person to try to stop him, sources have told CBC News.

Son immediately noticed the long rifle in Zehaf-Bibeau's hand.

Although he was unarmed, Son lunged at the shooter, grabbing the gun and pulling it toward the floor, screaming "Gun! Gun! Gun!"

That alerted the plainclothes officers inside the building, who have weapons.

During the ensuing struggle, Son was shot in the foot. He was taken to hospital later in the day, and released that night, but with a permanent souvenir — the bullet will stay in his foot, sources say, as it would do more damage to remove it.

Son has been hailed as a hero. Sources tell CBC News that if Son hadn't taken the actions that he did, the situation could have ended up much worse.

Zehaf-Bibeau continued up the stairs, but by that time, the officers inside had been alerted by Son's cries.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

colonel_korn posted:

Anyone see the surveillance footage the RCMP released of the guy making it on to Parliament Hill?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ottawa-shooting-michael-zehaf-bibeau-s-movements-revealed-by-rcmp-video-1.2810673

Watching it all I can think of is how much worse things could have been. He runs by countless other people that he could have easily killed. I guess he was focused on getting into the building.

Also in addition to the sergeant-at-arms, this guy should be getting some recognition:

It's frightening how much worse this situation could have been - and it's too bad they didn't get him alive to find out who he was gunning for exactly

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

JawKnee posted:

It's frightening how much worse this situation could have been - and it's too bad they didn't get him alive to find out who he was gunning for exactly

I think this is just a testament to how difficult it is to use a firearm, and thus how useless firearms actually are for personal defence (and offence).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

lazy gently caress had to jack a car to drive like 200m ? If he walked calmly and quickly and didn't flail his gun around he probably would have made it much further.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

lazy gently caress had to jack a car to drive like 200m ? If he walked calmly and quickly and didn't flail his gun around he probably would have made it much further.

He was probably operating under the assumption that the House guards are armed, and just running the 200m with a gun would have got him shot in short order.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Yes, I believe so. I've only seen snippets of headlines about the trial so far though.

There's not really a lot going on, as far as that trial goes. He admitted to killing Jun Lin, but has pleaded not guilty to murder. Basically they're just presenting all kinds of horrible evidence to the poor souls who made it onto the jury.

Also, we learned that Karla is back in Canada! :v:

HackensackBackpack has issued a correction as of 23:59 on Oct 23, 2014

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Magnotta trial sounds awful. I tried muting certain keywords on Twitter so I wouldn't have to read about it, but sometimes stuff filters through. At some point the defence was presenting evidence that the victim was into BDSM, because ???

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Pinterest Mom posted:

At some point the defence was presenting evidence that the victim was into BDSM, because ???

C'mon, you know how it is. You're messing around, maybe getting a bit kinky, trying out some of the rough stuff when OOPS, you accidentally cut his head off.

And then there's nothing left to do but start mailing.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Pinterest Mom posted:

The Magnotta trial sounds awful. I tried muting certain keywords on Twitter so I wouldn't have to read about it, but sometimes stuff filters through. At some point the defence was presenting evidence that the victim was into BDSM, because ???

Having to sit through the dismemberment video has to be one of the worst things ever in life. I don't know if it's a thing to have support systems set up for jurors in trials like this, but I hope it is because drat they're steeping themselves in some messed up poo poo for the sake of our justice system. :smith:

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29749869, http://infotel.ca/newsitem/harper-waited-among-mps-terrifying-unknown-on-other-side-of-doors/it14010

The shooter literally passed the room the NDP and Conservative caucus were in, Harper was hidden in a storage cupboard for a while. It's still hard to believe how much worse things could have been. Its strange that he headed to the library, i mean, i wonder if he had any idea where he was going.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice

THC posted:

Don't let the fact that I literally was just channeling Ann Coulter and Tucker Carlson give you the wrong idea! I'm totally a mainstream Democrat! Not even right wing at all!

Just caught up on the thread. THC fakeposting in this thread is the best part of a terrible event and he even got probated for it, amazing :tipshat:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

atastypie posted:

Just caught up on the thread. THC fakeposting in this thread is the best part of a terrible event and he even got probated for it, amazing :tipshat:

Yeah I just caught up on the last five hundred pages and THC was on fire. By far the best posting of the last 48 hours.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
THC the hero of the thread.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I guess The Outer Limits style fan-fics don't earn you poo poo around here! :argh:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

do they earn you poo poo anywhere?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

No, I just wanted to post passionately patriotically.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Communocracy posted:

I'm gonna take a moment away from calling for the heads of middle eastern children to ask about this relatively mundane NIMBY issue. Can any of you science/energy/pollution minded goons tell me if the town residents had a real complaint here or are they getting up in arms about nothing? To me, it seems like somebody just read the word 'hydrogen' in the plant's description and yelled "MY GOD, THAT'S A CHEMICAL, RIGHT?" but I don't actually know. From reading about it briefly, hydrogen fuel cells seem like a pretty good thing overall, yes?

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/10/21/canadian_tire_suspends_hydrogen_project_after_star_story.html

quote:

“The Canadian Tire debacle is at top of mind for many people here,” Gary Cascone, a mayoral candidate said. “What else has been hidden behind those closed doors?” he asked as some residents in the packed Bolton community centre yelled “shame.”
:jerkbag:

So yea, gonna go with CHEMICALS ARE SCARY. :tinfoil:

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

I'll agree - THC's best posts are when he's pretending to be someone else!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Anything that keeps more tractor-trailers from getting onto Highway 50 is good with me. gently caress that highway sucks real bad.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I hate this kind of NIMBYism because any random non-scientist or non-engineer wouldn't be able to interpret the information properly even if it was printed in a large typeface on placards outside the construction site/building. And you just know that if it was they'd find something else other than "secrecy" (not really secrecy) to complain about.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Are the concerns legitimate or not? I guess that's the question. If they've used some legal trickery to downgrade their fire rating that's something to be concerned about. Zoning and safety prevents poo poo like that texas chemical plant that exploded and wiped out a neighbourhood because not only should it not have been located there but the facility had basically no safety standards at all.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Communocracy posted:

I've done some fire stuff for high hazard occupancies, and there isn't enough of a narrative here to figure out what was going on. Hydrogen can be incredibly hazardous. It depends on quantities. If it's a couple of fuel cell vehicles and a small isolated tank it's not a big deal. Put the tank outside with access controls, away from the property line and have an appropriate fire plan and you're probably set. If it's large scale production, that's another thing. This article doesn't even say specifically what is supposed to be wrong about what they've done.

Basically, who the hell knows. The lawsuit doesn't tell you much, because the things they allege that guy did would be completely reasonable in certain situations.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Isn't Caledonia pretty famous for being reasonable in its land use, and for never turning molehills into mountains when disputes arise?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
The spree shooter yesterday used a loving lever action Winchester rifle. What a goddamn dumbass, no wonder he could only get the one person standing still bored out of his skull by surprise, and another guy who pointed the weapon at his own foot by mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

crowoutofcontext posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29749869, http://infotel.ca/newsitem/harper-waited-among-mps-terrifying-unknown-on-other-side-of-doors/it14010

The shooter literally passed the room the NDP and Conservative caucus were in, Harper was hidden in a storage cupboard for a while. It's still hard to believe how much worse things could have been. Its strange that he headed to the library, i mean, i wonder if he had any idea where he was going.

"Quick, there's a shooter, lock the Prime Minister in the broom cupboard!" :canada:

• Locked thread