Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

:pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
paying to use a public park. jfc. pop the bubble already stebe!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shifty Pony posted:

taking a park which had been free for decades and making it so you have to use an app and pay to reserve parts of it is pretty loving jerktech even if the city was the one that decided to do it because you know exactly what demographic that functionality is aimed at.

its ok

the app guys send dudes with ipads so they can reserve

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
MEPS

TREPS

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shifty Pony posted:

taking a park which had been free for decades and making it so you have to use an app and pay to reserve parts of it is pretty loving jerktech even if the city was the one that decided to do it because you know exactly what demographic that functionality is aimed at.

no poo poo they didn't charge anyone for it before it was an asphalt lot

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lmao

The peninsula is flush with million dollar-plus properties, a fact that will come as a surprise to absolutely no one who has ever attempted to buy a home there. Still, it comes as a bit of a shock that the U.S. zip code with the most sales over $1 million isn’t in New York City or Beverly Hills, but Burlingame, according to a new report form Coldwell Banker.

The 94010 zip code had 404 million dollar-plus sales between July 2013 and July 2014, according to the report, far outpacing infamous zip code 90210, which only had 295 sales in that range. (An example of what you can get in the 94010 zip for around $1 million is in the gallery above.) Not to worry, Kelly and Donna’s home values are still intact; the Beverly Hills zip had the most sales in the $5 million or more and $10 million or more categories.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lmao

The peninsula is flush with million dollar-plus properties, a fact that will come as a surprise to absolutely no one who has ever attempted to buy a home there. Still, it comes as a bit of a shock that the U.S. zip code with the most sales over $1 million isn’t in New York City or Beverly Hills, but Burlingame, according to a new report form Coldwell Banker.

The 94010 zip code had 404 million dollar-plus sales between July 2013 and July 2014, according to the report, far outpacing infamous zip code 90210, which only had 295 sales in that range. (An example of what you can get in the 94010 zip for around $1 million is in the gallery above.) Not to worry, Kelly and Donna’s home values are still intact; the Beverly Hills zip had the most sales in the $5 million or more and $10 million or more categories.

lol at a related story

quote:

In an act of nature that defied the laws of probability, a squirrel seriously injured a bicyclist at the Levi’s GranFondo charity ride in Sonoma County over the weekend when it ran onto the course and got caught in the spokes of the man’s bike, authorities said.

The squirrel died shortly after it became entangled in the wheel about 9:45 a.m. Saturday, an accident that sent the man over his handlebars and onto the ground, said Monte Rio Fire Chief Steve Baxman.

No other cyclists were injured in the incident, which happened about a mile and a half south of Monte Rio on the 7200 block of Bohemian Highway. But the man, described as being in his 40s, suffered a head injury and was “very disoriented,” Baxman said.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

not the first time it has happened

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

FRANCE! WE COME FROM FRANCE!

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Shifty Pony posted:

not the first time it has happened

:(

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

those things have actually existed for a while. theres ones where they can take a 3d image of you and make one of those embedded in glass laser print things (ffs i forget what they're called) in front of some tourist attraction

my startup was looking at using our 3d imaging stuff for those a few years ago, wasn't a very good looking market and our scanners were actually too expensive and waaay too accurate

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lmao

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

we're foolishly only selling stuff b2b into a stupidly high margin area (oil/gas)

clearly we should be selling reverse engineering equipment to end consumers because ????

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i dont work at a startup or in a bubble

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

we've come full circle. 'oh you don't have a deed to this land do you, redskin? well guess who does :smug: '

e:f;b

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this would never have happened if americans hadn't started playing soccer. i welcome the death of the tech bubble and the return to kids playing wholesome american sports like football and baseball.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Avenging Dentist posted:

i've actually just been rereading neuromancer and i think it holds up pretty well

i mean yeah it's 80s as all hell but a lot of the stuff about how miserable the world is is eerily accurate except for how the matrix was cool and awesome instead of dumb and lame like second life is irl

grim meathook future

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

basically any sport that doesn't involve helmets or gasoline is un-american.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

basketball is too black to be american, this checks out

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ayn rand hand job posted:

lol at a related story

rip brave squirrel :911:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
plz use this next time poittsburgh milkie gets mad tia

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Avenging Dentist posted:

they are cool (ok sprawl is, haven't read bridge) and a real good way to get into the mind of tech-shitters is to read the books as if they were depicting a utopia (and really, if you're on top, they kinda are)

libertarian utopia ≡ cyberpunk dystopia: the central equivalence revealed during the grey forums' seastead thread

if you haven't, read the "Fatlantis" or "In Golden Waters" for the fiction the thread produced

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

bassguitarhero posted:

Columbus: No, no, look at this tablet. It says we own this land and all the gold contained therein.

Native Americans: How long have you been in the neighborhood?

Columbus: Who gives a poo poo about the neighborhood?

just in time for colonial exploitation day!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

buzkashi but with Harleys rather than horses

and a cow rather than a goat

the most American sport

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i asked the afghans about buzkashi and they asked if I was fuckin crazy because only the southern lunatics did that and nobody in kabul had ever seen the game played

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

flakeloaf posted:

i asked the afghans about buzkashi and they asked if I was fuckin crazy because only the southern lunatics did that and nobody in kabul had ever seen the game played

is that the rambo 3 poo poo with the horses

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

buzkashi but with Harleys rather than horses

and a cow rather than a goat

the most American sport

i watched rambo 3 the other day and i honestly just didn't know who to root for

the mujahideen, the russians?

in the end i just went with the certainty of death

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
dammit jonny i was composing my thoughts

and yes it is

arabians :allears:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

eschaton posted:

libertarian utopia ≡ cyberpunk dystopia: the central equivalence revealed during the grey forums' seastead thread

if you haven't, read the "Fatlantis" or "In Golden Waters" for the fiction the thread produced

which one is the one that starts with "splort. that was the sound of libertopia."

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

is that the rambo 3 poo poo with the horses

yeah it's goat head polo

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

there is no situation where goat head polo would be acceptable that a goat head buttondown wouldn't do the job and make you look better

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

eschaton posted:

i would if youd link it

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

A Pinball Wizard posted:

i would if youd link it

https://www.scribd.com/doc/146160537/In-Golden-Waters-Tales-From-the-Seastead

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

A Pinball Wizard posted: