Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

The Management posted:

I may have mentioned it in the previous thread but Travis kalanick is in real life a goddamn piece of poo poo. I have no problem believing any of the scummy reports about über because that's just the kind of stuff he would do.

Travis is a great name, for a shithead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
eon5 eign yo875 posty6s

pram
Jun 10, 2001
dont sign your posts*

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Hello, Travis.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my name is actually james

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Hello, James.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

does that snapchat thing count as a tech bubble

snapchat's internal API is exposed to the public so there are third-party snapchat sites and picture saving sites and poo poo

well one of them saved all the pictures it came into contact with and someone posted them all on the internet and 4chan is making a website for it

many of them are underage high school dick pics and boob pics so lol hope you like your distribution charges

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

FamDav posted:

uber drivers arent employees. theyre "independent contractors," meaning that uber has no responsibility to them: no benefits, no minimum wage, no protections. uber promised these workers a certain rate / mile & then cut it in half. and these workers have no recourse. what can you do? TIP. you should have been paying twice what you did anyway.

"independent contracting" is a goddamn wage-theft scam

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

duTrieux. posted:

"independent contracting" is a goddamn wage-theft scam
flexibility! be your own boss! work when you want to! say goodbye to the stale old nine to five grind!

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

crusader_complex posted:

someone posted in the last thread something like 'we are getting a cyberpunk future, but just the lovely parts', and folks attaching a hobby psu to their temples for while theyre gaming is a fine example.

i don't even think it's that the world is getting the lovely parts of cyberpunk but that we're on the wrong side. we're not the deck-punching street samurai; we're the corporate drones

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

does that snapchat thing count as a tech bubble

snapchat's internal API is exposed to the public so there are third-party snapchat sites and picture saving sites and poo poo

well one of them saved all the pictures it came into contact with and someone posted them all on the internet and 4chan is making a website for it

many of them are underage high school dick pics and boob pics so lol hope you like your distribution charges

also snapchat blaming its users for privacy violations. how this is an actual company is beyond me. someone just sunk a shitload of money into them though. yahoo?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

bassguitarhero posted:

also snapchat blaming its users for privacy violations. how this is an actual company is beyond me. someone just sunk a shitload of money into them though. yahoo?

they said "well we look at google play for fraudulent apps or snapchat malware!"

remember all that alibaba money yahoo got? they're about to pour 20 instagrams into snapchat.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
lol they can't do anything about the xposed framework module that snaves all sapchats

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

How does "we built a framework that allows people to save your private photographs without your consent" translate to "It's your fault if people are saving your photos without consent"?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

bassguitarhero posted:

How does "we built a framework that allows people to save your private photographs without your consent" translate to "It's your fault if people are saving your photos without consent"?

well you're using snapchat aren't you

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Wait, Snapchat, a company who's only feature was the transitory nature of the images you could send with it, allowed third parties to save these images?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

ADINSX posted:

Wait, Snapchat, a company who's only feature was the transitory nature of the images you could send with it, allowed third parties to save these images?

yospos bithc

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

ADINSX posted:

What a paradigm shift!

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram posted:

my name is actually james

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

did you know? a DIY community has sprung up around transcranial direct current stimulation!

it's the practice of running electricity through your brain in order to produce beneficial effects. people saw all these studies (the science behind it apparently does work, providing benefits for cognitive improvement and treating a variety of conditions, although neurologists aren't quite sure why yet), and decided "hey, that's pretty cool! Why should I wait for commercial applications when I can build my own?"

Then they decided "Hey these people want to get in on this, but they don't know how to build these things. I bet I can make and market this!" in the true tech bubble spirit.

The first mainstream device was the foc.us, a TDCS headset marketed exclusively towards "gamers" for "improving your scores" because if they tried to say that it was for any sort of medical purpose at all the FDA would mow them down faster than they could fuckin' blink.

yes that's real. it's right there on their website.

This, In The True Sprit Of Tech Bubble Startups, leads to things like

and

and

As it turns out, this $249 :siren: DEFINITELY NOT A MEDICAL DEVICE GUYS :siren: uses a shoddy, underregulated power supply that spikes the voltage and current way up if you turn it on before you put it on your head.

This rabbit hole is deep. I used to be mildly interested in trying this out to treat my ADHD, but gently caress buying a startup's $250 electric facial disfigurer in order to see if it actually works. I'll wait until I can get one prescribed to me.

However, not all is lost! There's a new startup in the works who plans to manufacture a $120 electric facial disfigurer: ApeX!

"put a recognizeable logo on our website? why bother, it's already on the device"

Wow! It looks pretty heavy duty, with better configuration options than the foc.us, and marketed towards brain electricity hobbyists instead of gamers! I bet it's got some real brainpower behind it. Who are these folks, anyway?

Well... that's a bit sparse. The guy behind ApeX and who posted their new website to the subreddit (22 hours ago as of this post) is named "newb777". That's not very promising. Let's look at his posts and

:shepface:

jesus freakin christ

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ADINSX posted:

sure i will totally send a picture i don't want anyone to see to a company on the internet who says i can "totally trust them dude"

- a person with poor judgment, which is to say, a teenager

a lot of people could seriously get hosed up by this thing

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Avenging Dentist posted:

i don't even think it's that the world is getting the lovely parts of cyberpunk but that we're on the wrong side. we're not the deck-punching street samurai; we're the corporate drones

i feel like william gibson (@greatdismal) is probably embarrassed by some of his early work in a modern context but mostly he's embarrassed all the way to the bank

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

syscall girl posted:

i feel like william gibson (@greatdismal) is probably embarrassed by some of his early work in a modern context but mostly he's embarrassed all the way to the bank

i've actually just been rereading neuromancer and i think it holds up pretty well

i mean yeah it's 80s as all hell but a lot of the stuff about how miserable the world is is eerily accurate except for how the matrix was cool and awesome instead of dumb and lame like second life is irl

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

http://valleywag.gawker.com/dropbox-douchebags-tried-to-kick-children-off-a-soccer-1644947724

Holy poo poo, gently caress Dropbox

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Avenging Dentist posted:

i've actually just been rereading neuromancer and i think it holds up pretty well

i mean yeah it's 80s as all hell but a lot of the stuff about how miserable the world is is eerily accurate except for how the matrix was cool and awesome instead of dumb and lame like second life is irl

i have the sprawl and bridge trilogies and i am definitely going to reread both at some point

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

video's blocked at work but just the transcript alone, christ

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

The “bros” in this video had every right to the field. If anything the kids were just being rude. Just because you have lived somewhere forever doesn’t mean you have a claim to anything. If there was a process in place to reserve the field and it was followed then it is too bad for you and your pickup game. Fields are reserved all across the country and have been forever. It doesn’t matter if you had to reserve through an app, online form, or through a paper application. They reserved it. It doesn’t make you right just because you don’t like or agree with something. Get off your high horses and quit blaming everything on smart, hard working, well paid professionals.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

syscall girl posted:

i have the sprawl and bridge trilogies and i am definitely going to reread both at some point

they are cool (ok sprawl is, haven't read bridge) and a real good way to get into the mind of tech-shitters is to read the books as if they were depicting a utopia (and really, if you're on top, they kinda are)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

you ever go to a field when it's time for beer league that's filled with a bunch of t ballers

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Avenging Dentist posted:

they are cool (ok sprawl is, haven't read bridge) and a real good way to get into the mind of tech-shitters is to read the books as if they were depicting a utopia (and really, if you're on top, they kinda are)

bridge almost certainly inspired james cameron to make dark angel

which i guess some people liked

that actually sounds like a criticism but i liked them at the time

gonna be weird rereading that

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

syscall girl posted:

bridge almost certainly inspired james cameron to make dark angel

every time i see something called "dark angel" i think it's going to be about gay people but it never is :shrug:

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Werthog 95 posted:

The “bros” in this video had every right to the field. If anything the kids were just being rude. Just because you have lived somewhere forever doesn’t mean you have a claim to anything. If there was a process in place to reserve the field and it was followed then it is too bad for you and your pickup game. Fields are reserved all across the country and have been forever. It doesn’t matter if you had to reserve through an app, online form, or through a paper application. They reserved it. It doesn’t make you right just because you don’t like or agree with something. Get off your high horses and quit blaming everything on smart, hard working, well paid professionals.

Columbus: No, no, look at this tablet. It says we own this land and all the gold contained therein.

Native Americans: How long have you been in the neighborhood?

Columbus: Who gives a poo poo about the neighborhood?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Werthog 95 posted:

source your quotes. Also I agree with this post

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
lol, is this app 'reserving' public park space

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

they sure disrupted those kids' soccer game lol

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

crusader_complex posted:

lol, is this app 'reserving' public park space

in this case the app dev was contracted by the parks department so it's not jerktech or anything, they could honestly claim they'd reserved it through legitimate channels

that doesn't change the fact that they're grown adults trying to kick children off a soccer field ofc

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

sure i will totally send a picture i don't want anyone to see to a company on the internet who says i can "totally trust them dude"

- a person with poor judgment, which is to say, a teenager

"lol, they were asking for it. can't cure stupid"

- incoming eu commissar for digital society

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Werthog 95 posted:

in this case the app dev was contracted by the parks department so it's not jerktech or anything, they could honestly claim they'd reserved it through legitimate channels

that doesn't change the fact that they're grown adults trying to kick children off a soccer field ofc

taking a park which had been free for decades and making it so you have to use an app and pay to reserve parts of it is pretty loving jerktech even if the city was the one that decided to do it because you know exactly what demographic that functionality is aimed at.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

taking a park which had been free for decades and making it so you have to use an app and pay to reserve parts of it is pretty loving jerktech even if the city was the one that decided to do it because you know exactly what demographic that functionality is aimed at.

i didn't read the part that said they had to pay for it. that is definitely hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Werthog 95 posted:

i didn't read the part that said they had to pay for it. that is definitely hosed up.

$65 per hour in 2012

• Locked thread