Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this would never have happened if americans hadn't started playing soccer. i welcome the death of the tech bubble and the return to kids playing wholesome american sports like football and baseball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

basically any sport that doesn't involve helmets or gasoline is un-american.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what have you done to your cone??

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Raluek posted:

lol for serious? christ, i thought i was deliberately mis-interpreting the device :whitewater:

that'll never do. i hope you meant :mrgw:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qntm posted:

number of black/white 1000x800 pixel images: 2800000

yeah but thousands of those are gonna be naked pictures of that really hot girl you like. this company deserves to be funded

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's a tv show like any other. nearly everyone has at least one dumb tv show they enjoy watching.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what i don't get is why people get so smug about pointing out that it's not real. like no poo poo it's not real, it's a tv series. whether or not it is real presumably doesn't affect how much you enjoy watching the show. walter white isn't real but people don't go around pointing this out and acting like you shouldn't watch breaking bad because IT'S ALL JUST PLANNED OUT AHEAD OF TIME AND FAKED

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

how can anyone not love this poo poo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

yeah, it's like when someone reminds you that you have this weird piece of muscle in your mouth and it's your tongue and you can't ever get it out.

Jonny 290 posted:

You are now posting in YOSPOS manually

these things don't work on me for some reason

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i've gotten in a few less than friendly discussions with people about uber and even if i can get them to see my moral standpoint on the issue it always ends up with "well....but they're just so much cheaper than a cab"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

uber is literally just a cab company but with apps and also they don't pay payroll taxes or follow governmental regulations on cars for hire because they're disrupting the industry.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

JewKiller 3000 posted:

san mateo is not sf. you CAN draw a pretty accurate picture of the city of san francisco from a single visit to the tenderloin

what you see in the downtown of the city isn't even an accurate picture of the City and County of San Francisco. nearly half the city, geographically, is low, rolling sand dunes covered in former streetcar suburbs and populated mostly by regular joe Chinese immigrants.

like the popular image of the city is the downtown or the hipster poo poo all over mission and valencia or the haight or whatever, but if you picked a random point within the city limits you have at least a 50% chance of it looking like this

also what the gently caress why does imgur require captchas now? gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i live in teh sunset (an absolute maximum of 7 miles from any other point in the city) and telling someone who lives downtown that is like telling them i live in transylvania or on mars.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bad Sneakers posted:

apparently this is a thing that can happen in the northeast. i had no idea until i tried to register a car i bought from a roommate.

i had no idea that cars could last more than a decade without turning into a pile of loosely car-shaped rust scale until i moved to arizona.

i dunno whose brilliant loving idea it was to pour salt all over the roads in the winter but gently caress the northeast and eastern canada for that. just use sand and mandate snow tires november - april

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mishaq posted:

also people in the northeast can't even drive in light rain without having 500000 accidents, lol at the idea of expecting them to function driving in the snow

it snows infrequently enough there's not enough discipline in the population to drive in the snow properly

uhhh what northeast are you thinking of exactly?? everything north of the 40th parallel has constant snow coverage for at least four months of the year

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it is really stupid that handicapped placards let you park anywhere you want without a time limit and without paying imo. probably there wouldn't be that much fraud if it was just getting a closer parking space at the grocery store, but this implementation makes it basically a get out of parking free card so of couse it's going to be massively fraduluent

also i don't even see the point of those two little bonuses. like i get that you're in a wheelchair but that doesn't make you incapable of operating a wristwatch or putting quarters in the meter does it?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mishaq posted:

yes fishmech im aware in mountains snow persists in cold weather

but in the places people actually live in PA and NJ, there isn't snow on the ground for 4 solid months, nor is there in other parts of the northeast either

basically all of new york state, connecticut, massachusetts, new hampshire, maine, rhode island, vermont (exception: coastal areas in the southernmost parts) have snow on the ground for december, january and february, and usually half of november and march. vermont etc. will have snow from early november to early april just like its immediate neighbor, quebec, which mandates snow tires six months of the year. what the hell are you talking about

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mishaq posted:

im not suggesting there aren't large parts of the northeast where there isn't, but the entirety of the northeast is not covered in snow 4 months of the year, including many of the parts where most people live

i literally have no idea why you are trying to argue this when you're factually wrong and it's provable in 30 seconds. here is the weather data for the downtown of the largest city on the eastern seabord

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City#Climate

oh look there are four months of the year where the average daily low is below freezing and there is measurable snowfall.

https://www.google.com/search?q=new+york+city+december&safe=off&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch
https://www.google.com/search?q=new+york+city+january&safe=off&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch
https://www.google.com/search?q=new+york+city+february&safe=off&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch
oh look there is snow on everything.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

"a lot of women see a tradeoff between career advancement and birthing children" - a thing that is apparently controversial for you

hmm yes the only solution here is to subject women to a painful medical procedure that will allow them to have kids when they're old and decrepit and too tired to be corporate go getters.

I mean give the person the ability to work from home and be assured that their career will not be crippled by taking a little time off to care for a child??? that's not fair to the drones who work 80 hours a week and live in the ball pit

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pr0zac posted:

you mean like the four months paid maternity/paternity leave facebook offers?

that's nice of them, why it's almost the federally mandated minimum that you get at every job in Canada

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

do they offer $20k for daycare too?

fyi that is six to ten months of day care in silicon valley

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

funny, it's 2857 days of daycare in québec

the cost of living in the san francisco bay area is inflated, you say??
if i move back to canada it's going to be to montreal.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

wow sounds like there's a lot of money to be made in daycare in silicon valley!

there is.

i have some friends out here who are paying 2400 a month for day care for their toddler. the mother brings home about 3000 a month after tax. the 600 dollars is a pittance where they live so basically she's working at $tech_place for no extra money while not seeing her kid just in order to be assured that she won't be fired and made unemployable because she took a year or two off in the middle of ~her career~

the americans!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that is less because the eggs are intrinsically valuable, and more because the procedure to extract eggsis so nightmarishly awful you have to pay someone $10k to undergo it

i have heard it is extremely painful (in addition to being serious abdominal surgery that may leave you infertile, of course)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what the gently caress is wrong with people's minds that makes them think "i have secrets, but i will share them with the world, but it will be okay because i'm doing it on THE INTERNET"

there are so many incredibly wrong ideas required to get to that point

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

when i was in a long distance relationship with a girl and we sent s3xi n00dz to each other i showed her how to encrypt the files with pgp before sending them. i like to believe i was being A Good Boyfriend.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my rent and utilities for a 1br in san francisco is a little under 1400 a month. this is considered a very good deal and is why i haven't moved even though i don't have a washing machine or a dedicated parking space for my car.

when i lived in arizona, i was paying $505 a month total for a similar 1br in a modern apartment complex with three swimming pools and two parking spaces per apartment.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

I don't think I'd be allowed.

are you a convicted felon?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

aaahaha a big ole pussyshit

when i knock dr futurewife up she is expected to work on her feet right up until her water breaks

lmao doctors are slaves

i don't feel a great deal of sympathy for doctors in the usa complaining about working too much when they are paid more than doctors in any other country in the entire world by a factor of 2 to 100

like, when your wife starts work as an oncologist in palo alto she will be making about double what my father as a psychiatrist in canada with 30 years of experience currently does

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i read a study recently that found that almost 50% of smart phone owners report immediate "moderate to severe anxiety" when their phones are taken away from them

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ok, well here's a direct example: an acquaintance's wife just started work as a gynecological surgeon, her first position post residency, at some kaiser place or other. her starting salary is $280,000 a year, with a $100,000 signing bonus provided she stays with the job for 5 years, and another $150,000 interest-free loan for a house downpayment to be taken any time she chooses.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i mean the median family household income even in san francisco itself is $55,000, but i'm sure she deserves what she's getting

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if she is 170k in debt she could zero it out in two years of work while renting a decent 2 bedroom apartment, or in one year if she used the signing bonus.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

now that you're in your 40s you can finally start stackin that paper!

so yes, your friend easily withstood a decade of being treated like a slave and despite that certainly achieved within the top echelon of her cohort, so rightly or wrongly many of them feel entitled to that pay because it's a grueling climb that's only made longer the more you achieve

this person is i believe 35-36 and was just hired last year so she is a high achiever yes. she also has a 2 year old and another baby just born and both of them are entirely cared for by nannies and the grandparents.

but my point wasn't that they were overpaid, but that they are paid 5+ times the average household income for working 2x the average working hours so they shouldn't really gripe that they are worked too hard. if you don't want to work so hard get a job that works you less, and they'll give you less money for it too, but you'll survive and these are the tradeoffs you have chosen.

fwiw my dad at age 60 still works 11 hour days 5 days a week.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 16, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

your friend is so exceptional that i wonder if futurewife would even believe me if i repeated it to her, tho i suppose that it must happen from time to time despite the complete lack of money and time that residents are subjected to

the kinds of stories i hear are things like "i had to go hide in a closet in order to cry once i realized that i just don't have time to get a drat haircut over the next two months" kinda bad

so i feel quite justified at my lols due to how they enslave doctors, and yes it's definitely a thing that their women freeze their eggs

her husband is also an overachiever and is a corporate lawyer, so id imagine he handled supporting her through medical shcool. they're one of those insane power couples that makes ridiculous amounts of money, works 80 hour weeks 50 weeks a year and take 2 weeks of vacation where they only work 30 hours a week, don't see their kids except on weekends, don't know how to cook or do laundry, etc.

rotor posted:

late but this isn't true unless you're talking about the ultra fancy ones marketed at people who are already planning out what frat their baby will pledge at Stanford

we paid about 6k/yr

all i ever hear about is the ultra fancy ones that cost zillions (the main draw i understand is that you can ensure your babies will be taken care of by a white lady or at least an asian lady). i'm sure there are cheaper ones but from my friends with babies, there's always something too lovely about those places to entrust them with precious.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

germany is basically unchanged since 1940

hmmmmmmm

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

jag-wahr is :911: and excellent
jag-you-are is effete and dumb but acceptable
jag-wire people need to be dragged out into the streets and executed

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

darken seafoam green down a little bit and you have sage, the best green in the world

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Elder Postsman posted:

the sage imac was the best one

confirmed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

i claim bias

*nods sagely*